Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,101 members, 7,814,871 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 09:28 PM

Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police (938 Views)

Edo APC Crisis: Obaseki Rejects Ganduje Committee, Backs Buhari's Reconciliation / Buhari’s Rejection Of Electoral Bill, An Act Of Desperation – CUPP / Electoral Act: How Buhari’s Rejection Divides Lawmakers (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by 3Ebisco: 8:28am On May 04, 2018
The Senator representing Kaduna Central District in the National Assembly, Shehu Sani has thrown his weight behind President Muhammadu Buhari’s rejection of the creation of state police.

MC EBISCO recalls that President Buhari, in an interview with Voice of America (Hausa Service) had said he was not convinced that state police was the solution to solving security challenges in the country.

“No I am not convinced. We should have solved the current insecurity in the North East and South South by now.

“Can the states be able to shoulder the burden if the Police? You cannot just give someone guns and ammunition, train him and refuse to pay him, you know what will eventually happen,” Buhari had said.

Reacting to the President’s remarks on Thursday, Sani in a post published on his Facebook page said that state police would give some governors opportunities to officially give their enlisted thugs uniforms and arms to oppress opposition figures and dissenting voices.

He wrote: “I commend PMB for his opposition to state police. Despite the weaknesses of Fed Police, a state police will be worse.

“It will simply be a force of evil at the disposal of state Governors,to be used to suppress perceived opposition and dissenting voices.

“State police means officially giving uniforms and arms to a Governor’s enlisted thugs.”

http://www.mcebisco.com.ng/2018/05/shehu-sani-backs-buharis-rejection-of.html

Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by SadiqBabaSani: 8:41am On May 04, 2018
El rufAi ghosts is pursuing D's man
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by papoudaupolos: 8:43am On May 04, 2018
It ll just add another layer of extortion to the masses and gives more power to the governors in fighting opponents.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by nNEOo(m): 8:50am On May 04, 2018
Well he's ryt u knw!
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by Cornerstone2020(m): 9:00am On May 04, 2018
He has seen the persecution of his friend from kogi and his impending.
Trust vengeful Elrufia.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by SalamRushdie: 9:14am On May 04, 2018
Shehu Sani is coming from the point of his own safety as regards El Rufai being allowed to run state police but the fact is that Buharis unfair handling and deployment of Federal security apparatus now overscores the need for state police

3 Likes

Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by CriticMaestro: 9:25am On May 04, 2018
State police is the worse thing that can happen to a corrupt country like ours
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by Nobody: 9:25am On May 04, 2018
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by saarumann: 9:30am On May 04, 2018
States that want state police must be allowed to form their own security outfit. The idea that state police will be abused by governors is plain ridiculous! Just because Kaduna state gov Elrufai is a power intoxicated tyrannical bigot doesn't mean other states governors are tyrannical bigots.
State police should be vested on the Parliament, not only the governor to maintain checks and balances.

3 Likes

Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by Dollyak(f): 9:34am On May 04, 2018
Why not create a regional police? I do agree that state police is susceptible to abuse but I think regional police will provide a better solution.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by BUHARIISCURSED(m): 9:34am On May 04, 2018
saarumann:
States that want state police must be allowed to form their own security outfit. The idea that state police will be abused by governors is plain ridiculous! Just because Kaduna state gov Elrufai is a power intoxicated tyrannical bigot doesn't mean other states governors are tyrannical bigots.
State police should be vested on the Parliament, not only the governor to maintain checks and balances.
State police that you cannot pay is that one a state police?
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by johnmartus(m): 9:48am On May 04, 2018
Nigeria don't mature enough to have state police.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by saarumann: 10:01am On May 04, 2018
BUHARIISCURSED:

State police that you cannot pay is that one a state police?
True that is another good point. In a country where states go to Abuja every month for free oil money (federal allocation) they never sweat for, state police is going to be a tall order. But we cannot continue to pretend that all is well with the present security structure in Nigeria. CENTRALIZATION OF POLICE IS INEFFECTIVE AND DESIGNED TO FAIL.
We must face reality that the present security arrangement where police is centralized in Abuja can never guarantee security of lives and properties in a country with a huge population. It is absurd to have a commissioner of police in a state who is not answerable to the governor, but the president. How can effective security be provided for the people when a whole gov cannot command a police constable?
Real development that touches lives of people directly starts at states and local levels, not at federal level and if states are to develop economically, effective security and community policing must be guaranteed. Which is why Restructuring is a must (though I believe in Disintegration) for Nigeria. States must be allowed to control their resources and generate revenues for themselves instead of piling every month in Abuja for federal allocation.
States in America like Newyork, California, Chicago etc conveniently fund their state security police outfits like NYPD, LAPD and CPD and they are not complaining.

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by blackfase(m): 10:58am On May 04, 2018
Dollyak:
Why not create a regional police? I do agree that state police is susceptible to abuse but I think regional police will provide a better solution.

Full of wisdom but our friends up north are scared stiff of d use of that word REGION. Its a DOA....
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by Daviddson(m): 11:27am On May 04, 2018
State police is the best. We may experience some abuse at the initial stage, but we will correct them after a while. It's just like saying that the FG should stop awarding contracts because a part of it is wont to be looted. Several developed countries in the world practice it and the result is phénomènal. It's so effective in America, that ordinary county sherrifs (maybe equivalent of a divisional police officer of a town here in Nigeria) are elected, not appointed.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by Omololu2121: 11:37am On May 04, 2018
Dollyak:
I fully support this.

Should we also scrap the federal police cause it's been abused by the federal government, the Nigerian police is a total failure

With the way I'm looking at this country, in the next 70 years,Nigeria will still be a backward country, cause most of our government officials are not ready to change anything.

The federal police has failed to protect life and properties, we need state police

1 Like

Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by Nwibii: 12:16pm On May 04, 2018
President Jonathan has all it takes to implement the CONFAB report,but he allow it slip through his hands. I don't blame PMB for not implementing it. President Jona knows that all the past heads of states don't allow continuity, why then will he thinks Aso Rock belongs to him alone, by saying I will do that when I come back for second term.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by IBBG(m): 12:16pm On May 04, 2018
i'm dissapointed that shehu sani will prioritise abuse over the loss of lives as been witnessed today due to insecurity.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by lastmessenger: 12:52pm On May 04, 2018
Nwibii:
President Jonathan has all it takes to implement the CONFAB report,but he allow it slip through his hands. I don't blame PMB for not implementing it. President Jona knows that all the past heads of states don't allow continuity, why then will he thinks Aso Rock belongs to him alone, by saying I will do that when I come back for second term.
my brother it is easier said than done. The confab report is not a report that can be signed into the law with just a stroke of the pen. The confab would have to go through the house of reps and national assembly before anything meaningful can be made out of it.
Now concerning state police,I have only thing to say and that is the fact that if we don't implement state police then the threat to the security of lives and properties of the citizens will only get. In Nigeria we always love to learn by experience. Time shall come when they will realize that they cannot do without state police.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by Ken4Christ: 2:44pm On May 04, 2018
Endorse State Police and let the states control their resources. Suppression is something that cannot be stopped. The judiciary is their for anyone to seek redress if he is being suppressed or oppressed. The suppression is far better than the killings going on. Shehu Sani for the first time has judged wrongly.
Re: Shehu Sani Backs Buhari’s Rejection Of State Police by Ken4Christ: 2:48pm On May 04, 2018
State policemen will certainly not kill people like the herdsmen are doing. Let states that can offord it go for it. The worse a policeman will do to you is extortion. It is still far better than losing your life to the herdsmen.

(1) (Reply)

Lawan, Akpabio Bicker As N/assembly Adjourns For APC Congress / Buhari's Arms Deal Is For Political Grandstanding - ForeignPolicy.com / Internet Troll Gets Nasty Answer From Reno Omokri For Her Comment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 30
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.