Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,782 members, 7,817,248 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 08:45 AM

6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke (38371 Views)

3 Money-spinning Business Opportunities Overlooked By Many Nigerians / Money Myths That Have Made Nigerians Broke / Tired Of Being Broke? See An Opportunity Many Nigerians Have Overlooked (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by OShepherd: 7:29pm On May 04, 2018
OP! How can U make money without first saving from what U get? Getting rich is a gradual process. Go & read "The Richest Man in Babylon". That book best defines Naijas current economiic situation. The points therein are purely practical. Question- Is obtaining loan to build your living house a good idea
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Alejoc(m): 7:29pm On May 04, 2018
Funny but true!
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by HazardMan(m): 7:29pm On May 04, 2018
No one should chop off my head for this, but like seriously haven't you guys heard of bet9ja? It's the fastest way to become rich except you don't plan it well or you are being greedy.
All you need in sport betting is patience
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by iamtardey: 7:43pm On May 04, 2018
big money is for the old i mean certain age... ogbeni any amount at all can be owned by any person and age
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by wink2015(m): 7:43pm On May 04, 2018
loverboys:
From a tender age, we were exposed to myths about money and myths of being rich. Be it from our parents, brothers, sisters, relatives, or friends. The myths that we have determined our financial well-being in our adult lives.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-k347ldp0cnA/WuxqEJIBbEI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/RBWWFrDoGlsESluKdqaww3EllnAVs4KugCLcBGAs/s320/money-myths-image.png[/img]

I call them myths because they are not true. Or, at least they are not giving you the complete picture.

We can't blame our parents for the myths in us. They already gave us the best they could. And don't forget that times change. Things were true then may not be true today.

If you want to move ahead financially, you have to be aware of the myths that you have about wealth and money. And do not let the myths stop you from living a wealthy life.

Money Myth 1: Work hard and you'll be rich.

Many of us think that by having a job with a big company would ensure that we're on the path to financial freedom. With so many layoff announcements, we might be out of a job anytime. I'm not saying that you'd be one of them but the fact is there is no job that is guaranteed.

Recently, my friend was laid off in less than a month in his new job. Having a job is merely helping you to cope with daily expenses, providing you shelter, food and clothing. Do not be misled that a job or your employer will turn you into a rich and wealthy person. No one cares more than you about your wealth.

Money Myth 2: Saving is good.

When I was small, I was told by my mother that I must learn to save. I thank my mother for inculcating the habit of saving in me. The habit of saving helps me to develop discipline. Many people think that when they save enough, one fine day they'll be rich.

But is saving alone enough to make you wealthy?

I came to realize that if I only depend on my savings to get rich, I'd have to wait for a long time. That's the problem with savings; it takes a long time for you to get rich. Saving alone is not enough. You have to learn to invest your money in other investment vehicles to grow your money faster.

Money Myth 5: Investing is risky.

Many think that investing is risky because they lack education in investing. Investing itself is not risky if you know how to control the risks. Most of us invest based on a tip from a friend or broker without doing our own research. When you lose money, you say that investing is risky. And you tell yourself that you'll never invest again.

To be frank, everything we do has a risk in it. Learn to manage risks by educating yourself. You can educate yourself by attending seminars, reading books, or even from the Internet. I have written a business guide that has helped people achieve financial freedom, so you can check it out and take action.

Money Myth 3: Debt is evil.

The other common myth about money is debt is bad. Did your parents ever tell you that borrowing was bad? Mine did. Not all debt is bad, actually. It depends on how you spend your loans that you're getting. If you take a credit card loan to buy a flat plasma TV, it's a bad debt. On the other hand, if you take loans to start a business or invest in real estate, the debt is good.

If a debt is bad, can you imagine what would happen to companies if they are not allowed to take loans from the banks? As a general rule, if you use debts to buy things that increase in value over time, they are good debts. You must know whether the debt you're taking is good or bad.

Money Myth 4: You need money to make money.

When I ask my friends what's stopping them from starting their own business, the common answer is "I don't have money. And it takes money to make money." I do agree that it takes money to make money. But does it really to be your own money?

Everybody has limited resources when it comes to achieving our financial goals. I do not expect you to have everything when you plan to build your own business. You might need financial backing, manpower, expertise, or a coach to guide you. If you lack resources in any areas, find the resources. Someone else will definitely have it. It does take money to make money, but you can use OPM - other people's money.

Money Myth 6: Wealth reflects in material possessions.

Material possessions reflect your level of wealth. This is a misleading measurement. Someone who is driving a Porsche might not be rich and he might highly in debt.

Wealth does not reflect in material possessions. Wealth is a state of mind. Wealth is how fast you can become rich if you're stripped of everything. As Henry Ford once said after he was asked what he would do if he lost all his fortunes, "I'll become a millionaire again within five years."

We possess one or more of the above myths, consciously or unconsciously. But what is more important is to be aware of the myths and replace the myths with facts. By doing this will tremendously improve your financial well-being.

If you want to break out the Financial Rat Race, you can always visit the link below and learn more.

See source to know more

NICE SHARE!

More grease to your elbow!

More oil to your lattern

More ink to your pen

More fresh palm wine to your calabash.

MAKE GOD PUT SOMETHING INSIDE YOUR KPANGOLO!
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Nobody: 7:46pm On May 04, 2018
BiggerbossAmani:
“Emotions are what make
us human. The word ‘emotion’ stands for ‘energy in motion.’ Be
truthful about your emotions and use your mind and emotions in
your favor, not against yourself.”

Guy stop blabbing, who told you emotions mean energy in motion? No dey Bo-Bo us for here jare

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by MyExpression(m): 7:51pm On May 04, 2018
loverboys:

It is because of People like you who want free knowledge!! Something that took me years and spent money doing trial and error.

this is the reason we don't patronize y'all.
We do not believe you did any rubbish trial and error cos your names ain't opening doors yet. You are still learning and might just pass on your short-term success which will eventually lead to failure.

Be humble, sit down, learn more, share your little knowledge and learn from others until your entrepreneurial success is obvious.

Then can you publish books and we'll buy to tap from your over-the-years wisdom.

Not copy and paste from other people's books and claim infoprenuer.

1 Like

Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by HazardMan(m): 7:58pm On May 04, 2018
MyExpression:

We do not believe you did and rubbish trial and error cos your names ain't opening doors yet. You are still learning and might pass on your short-term success which will eventually lead to failure.
Be humble, sit down, learn more, share your little knowledge and learn from others until your entrepreneurial success is obvious. Then can you publish books and we'll buy to tap from your over-the-years wisdom.
What is this one saying?
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Krafty006: 7:59pm On May 04, 2018
same of the same , more of the same ....can you market shoes? send a DM 0-8-1-8-1-6-6-3-6-1-6.
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by joey150(m): 8:00pm On May 04, 2018
If everybody could become rich, then the word rich wouldn't exist.

Only a select few can be very "rich," it's the scarcity of money that gives it value.

Why are people now so fixated on getting rich? Like having millions of dollars is all that really matters?

Not everybody cares about making a shit load of money. Some people are fine with saving up and living on a salary - because in truth, we all still can't be rich.

2 Likes

Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by AreaFada2: 8:02pm On May 04, 2018
A key factor is environment.

For example debt. If you borrow heavily at 25% interest and invest in a place without electricity or enabling environment, the chances of success are already low.

But if borrow at 4.9% and invest in a place with basic amenities, your chances are better.

As for investment, we usually hear the success stories. Hundreds of thousands of businesses fail yearly.

If you have ever invested in 9ja you will have a good idea what I mean.
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by SRK1(m): 8:36pm On May 04, 2018
Get a chance to work on a MAMMOTH ghostwriting project that offers a GOOD pay!

We are a ghostwriting firm looking for a writer who will win the chance to work on one of our mammoth contracts of the month so far. The project is a ghostwriting of a powerful ebook of about 50,000 word count.

We are looking for an exceptional writer who's capable of writing a lengthy, engaging novel. Someone who has written a full-fledged novel before because some story writing will be involved in this book. In fact, we believe this prerequisite is key in helping us to choose the right person.

We wouldn't like to throw out the budget of this project into the public, but it's a really attractive rate for the right writer. Please apply with your work samples.

You may look out for:
~Payments will be made at milestones
~Trusted ghostwriting agency
~Opportunity to earn a cool passive income
~Opt out anytime
~Friendly agency

Contact at:

mavenwriter02@gmail.com
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by loverboys: 9:07pm On May 04, 2018
Firgemachar:

hahahahahaha grin grin grin grin grin

I just knew it was him.

Most of his points are outright bulllsshit. Nonsense! Only God knows how he keeps making front page.

Loverboy, go get a job!! Nobody, I repeat nobody, will teach you his secret of his success - fee or no fee.

Point out one single point that is bullshit? smiley

Emotional imbalance in business is bad... well, you can go search google for more information Sir. There are lots of FREE contents for you.

Good night Sir
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by loverboys: 9:10pm On May 04, 2018
MyExpression:

We do not believe you did any rubbish trial and error cos your names ain't opening doors yet. You are still learning and might just pass on your short-term success which will eventually lead to failure.

Be humble, sit down, learn more, share your little knowledge and learn from others until your entrepreneurial success is obvious.

Then can you publish books and we'll buy to tap from your over-the-years wisdom.

Not copy and paste from other people's books and claim infoprenuer.

Copy and Paste from who?

I never begged you to patronize. I dish out my contents to help people it can help. Thankfully, 39 people found it useful.
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by haryomikun(m): 1:33am On May 05, 2018
BiggerbossAmani:
Understand the reason you are broke by comprehending the Motivational lesson below

“Let them go,” my dad’s friend said. “They might be developing a
natural talent.”
My dad glared at him.
“Yes, it is illegal,” my dad said gently. “But you boys have shown
great creativity and original thought. Keep going. I’m really proud
of you!”
Disappointed, Mike and I sat in silence for about twenty minutes
before we began cleaning up our mess. The business was over on
opening day. Sweeping the powder up, I looked at Mike and said,
“I guess Jimmy and his friends are right. We are poor.”
My father was just leaving as I said that. “Boys,” he said. “You’re
only poor if you give up. The most important thing is that you did
something.
Most people only talk and dream of getting rich. You’ve
done something. I’m very proud of the two of you. I will say it again:
Keep going. Don’t quit.”

Modified "the black statement is my point. Never you quit in life because life is unfair to you or throws you round "

Mike and I stood there in silence. They were nice words, but we
still did not know what to do.
“So how come you’re not rich, Dad?” I asked.
“Because I chose to be a schoolteacher. Schoolteachers really don’t
think about being rich. We just like to teach. I wish I could help you,
but I really don’t know how to make money.”
Mike and I turned and continued our cleanup.
“I know,” said my dad. “If you boys want to learn how to be
rich, don’t ask me. Talk to your dad, Mike.”
“My dad?” asked Mike with a scrunched-up face.
“Yeah, your dad,” repeated my dad with a smile. “Your dad
and I have the same banker, and he raves about your father. He’s
told me several times that your father is brilliant when it comes to
making money.”
“My dad?” Mike asked again in disbelief. “Then how come we
don’t have a nice car and a nice house like the rich kids at school?”
“A nice car and a nice house don’t necessarily mean you’re rich or
you know how to make money,”

Robert kiyosaki Rich Dad poor dad
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by BiggerbossAmani(m): 6:38am On May 05, 2018
haryomikun:

Robert kiyosaki Rich Dad poor dad
you are a reader my brother

Keep on reading bro

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by LOVEGINO(m): 6:53am On May 05, 2018
ObservantFellow:
Do not believe all you read above are myths. Some are stark reality repackaged with words that'll make you think you or your attitude is the problem meanwhile it's just a round hole and you're forcing a square peg to fit.

In other words, it's impossible for everyone to get there. There must be classes and that can't be broken even if we all decide to apply everything in any rule book cool
we among the 1st class lemme see ur hands up cool
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Nobody: 7:20am On May 05, 2018
loverboys:
From a tender age, we were exposed to myths about money and myths of being rich. Be it from our parents, brothers, sisters, relatives, or friends. The myths that we have determined our financial well-being in our adult lives.

[img]https://3.bp..com/-k347ldp0cnA/WuxqEJIBbEI/AAAAAAAAAKQ/RBWWFrDoGlsESluKdqaww3EllnAVs4KugCLcBGAs/s320/money-myths-image.png[/img]

I call them myths because they are not true. Or, at least they are not giving you the complete picture.

We can't blame our parents for the myths in us. They already gave us the best they could. And don't forget that times change. Things were true then may not be true today.

If you want to move ahead financially, you have to be aware of the myths that you have about wealth and money. And do not let the myths stop you from living a wealthy life.

Money Myth 1: Work hard and you'll be rich.

Many of us think that by having a job with a big company would ensure that we're on the path to financial freedom. With so many layoff announcements, we might be out of a job anytime. I'm not saying that you'd be one of them but the fact is there is no job that is guaranteed.

Recently, my friend was laid off in less than a month in his new job. Having a job is merely helping you to cope with daily expenses, providing you shelter, food and clothing. Do not be misled that a job or your employer will turn you into a rich and wealthy person. No one cares more than you about your wealth.

Money Myth 2: Saving is good.

When I was small, I was told by my mother that I must learn to save. I thank my mother for inculcating the habit of saving in me. The habit of saving helps me to develop discipline. Many people think that when they save enough, one fine day they'll be rich.

But is saving alone enough to make you wealthy?

I came to realize that if I only depend on my savings to get rich, I'd have to wait for a long time. That's the problem with savings; it takes a long time for you to get rich. Saving alone is not enough. You have to learn to invest your money in other investment vehicles to grow your money faster.

Money Myth 5: Investing is risky.

Many think that investing is risky because they lack education in investing. Investing itself is not risky if you know how to control the risks. Most of us invest based on a tip from a friend or broker without doing our own research. When you lose money, you say that investing is risky. And you tell yourself that you'll never invest again.

To be frank, everything we do has a risk in it. Learn to manage risks by educating yourself. You can educate yourself by attending seminars, reading books, or even from the Internet. I have written a business guide that has helped people achieve financial freedom, so you can check it out and take action.

Money Myth 3: Debt is evil.

The other common myth about money is debt is bad. Did your parents ever tell you that borrowing was bad? Mine did. Not all debt is bad, actually. It depends on how you spend your loans that you're getting. If you take a credit card loan to buy a flat plasma TV, it's a bad debt. On the other hand, if you take loans to start a business or invest in real estate, the debt is good.

If a debt is bad, can you imagine what would happen to companies if they are not allowed to take loans from the banks? As a general rule, if you use debts to buy things that increase in value over time, they are good debts. You must know whether the debt you're taking is good or bad.

Money Myth 4: You need money to make money.

When I ask my friends what's stopping them from starting their own business, the common answer is "I don't have money. And it takes money to make money." I do agree that it takes money to make money. But does it really to be your own money?

Everybody has limited resources when it comes to achieving our financial goals. I do not expect you to have everything when you plan to build your own business. You might need financial backing, manpower, expertise, or a coach to guide you. If you lack resources in any areas, find the resources. Someone else will definitely have it. It does take money to make money, but you can use OPM - other people's money.

Money Myth 6: Wealth reflects in material possessions.

Material possessions reflect your level of wealth. This is a misleading measurement. Someone who is driving a Porsche might not be rich and he might highly in debt.

Wealth does not reflect in material possessions. Wealth is a state of mind. Wealth is how fast you can become rich if you're stripped of everything. As Henry Ford once said after he was asked what he would do if he lost all his fortunes, "I'll become a millionaire again within five years."

We possess one or more of the above myths, consciously or unconsciously. But what is more important is to be aware of the myths and replace the myths with facts. By doing this will tremendously improve your financial well-being.

If you want to break out the Financial Rat Race, you can always visit the link below and learn more.

See source to know more

Great write up bro..

Do you accept guest posts please?
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by IamD18: 7:50am On May 05, 2018
Safiaa:
meaningless how? Smh pitiful.

Another year has passed, another year older and another year wiser kiss As you celebrate your 60th birthday today, i'll want to wish you long live and prosperous days ahead.

Have a wonderful, healthy and happy birthday now and forever. Happy birthday. tongue

60 years no be beans oo, take advantage of your old age and spread love to everybody.
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Safiaa(f): 8:27am On May 05, 2018
IamD18:

Another year has passed, another year older and another year wiser kiss As you celebrate your 60th birthday today, i'll want to wish you long live and prosperous days ahead.

Have a wonderful, healthy and happy birthday now and forever. Happy birthday. tongue

60 years no be beans oo, take advantage of your old age and spread love to everybody.
not my bday. Need to change my settings.
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by IamD18: 8:31am On May 05, 2018
Safiaa:

lipsrsealed embarassed
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by mejorhofficial(m): 8:50am On May 05, 2018
Safiaa:
lol
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by princeBlack77(m): 8:56am On May 05, 2018
bountyhunter:
Impressing bit-ches will leave you broke faster than speed of light grin
i swear, this is so true
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Safiaa(f): 9:02am On May 05, 2018
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Nobody: 10:52am On May 05, 2018
Noel1:

Great write up bro..

Do you accept guest posts please?
SHUT UP...
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by triple996(m): 12:28pm On May 05, 2018
9ice write up
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Tony142: 10:06pm On Oct 28, 2018
Stycon:
Spot on!

Reading Conspiracy of the Rich and Rich dad Poor Dad by Robert Kiyosaki was really an eye opener

pls do u have anyother similar books, e.g think big and grow rich?
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Stycon(m): 10:55am On Oct 30, 2018
Tony142:

pls do u have anyother similar books, e.g think big and grow rich?

Yeah, I have think and grow rich. You can PM for it, but then you can visit pdfdrive (dot) com and download as many of such books as you desire.

Cheers
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Tony142: 11:07am On Oct 30, 2018
Stycon:

Yeah, I have think and grow rich. You can PM for it, but then you can visit pdfdrive (dot) com and download as many of such books as you desire.

Cheers

Wow, Nice one, but i can not download for now, my smart phone have some fault, i have not repaired it, i am currently using a small phone

pls u will help me with think and grow rich 1st, when my smart phone is back to life b4 i will go and download more similar books

below is my email address

Omoanthony98@gmail.com

Thanks
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Stycon(m): 11:36am On Oct 30, 2018
Tony142:

Wow, Nice one, but i can not download for now, my smart phone have some fault, i have not repaired it, i am currently using a small phone

pls u will help me with think and grow rich 1st, when my smart phone is back to life b4 i will go and download more similar books

below is my email address

Thanks

Sent.

Cheers
Re: 6 Money Myths That Has Left So Many Nigerians Broke by Tony142: 11:50am On Oct 30, 2018
Stycon:

Sent.
Cheers

Wow, so quick, i am very greatful oo, thank u very much sir

(1) (2) (Reply)

Naira Falls Against US Dollar / Why Online Forex Trading Is A Fraud. My Findings / Ghanaian Man Storms Bank With Mattress, Pillow & Bedsheet (Video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.