Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,244 members, 7,818,838 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 06:19 AM

Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa (28964 Views)

Senator Shehu Sani's Resignation Letter To APC (FULL TRANSCRIPT) / Apapa Gridlock: Revive Ports In Other States, Gov. Ambode / Buhari To Establish 6 Inland Ports In Ibadan, Aba, Kano, Jos, Funtua & Maiduguri (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by AprokoGirl: 5:57pm On May 04, 2018
@APROKOGIRL

A Nigerian senator has invited American rapper Kanye West to visit slave ports in Africa for an education on the slave trade.

Kanye West is facing immense criticism following his remarks during an interview with TMZ live this week in Los Angeles, where he said the slave trade was a "choice".

The musician opened up about his mental health, his family, and his art during the show. He also said this about slavery, "When you hear about slavery for 400 years ... For 400 years? That sounds like a choice."
Nigeria's vocal lawmaker Shehu Sani took a dig at West on Friday saying the musician's statements on transatlantic slave trade was a slight on its victims.

"If Kanye West thinks slavery was a choice, we will offer him a free ticket and tour guide to visit slave routes and camps in Badagry, Lagos, Ouida, Benin Republic, Ghana and Goree Island in Senegal to 'experience the choices in chains. Kanye defecated on the graves of victims," Shehu said in a tweet.

The lawmaker was referring to relics in the coast of West Africa where people were enslaved and sold to the Americas.

A Detroit based radio station on Thursday said it was pulling off the rapper's songs following his comments.
West, who is not new to controversy tried to clarify his statements Tuesday amidst mounting backlash.

"[T]o make myself clear. Of course I know that slaves did not get shackled and put on a boat by free will. My point is for us to have stayed in that position even though the numbers were on our side means that we were mentally enslaved," West said in a tweet.
The rapper said he was being attacked "for presenting new ideas."

BY APROKO GIRL : https://aprokogirl.com/4712/senator-shehu-sani-invites-kanye-west-to-visit-slave-ports-in-africa-see-tweet/

cc; lalasticlala

4 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by AprokoGirl: 5:57pm On May 04, 2018

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by biacan(f): 5:58pm On May 04, 2018
Kanye is currently experiencing some melt down at the moment cool

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by Ladyhippolyta88(f): 6:15pm On May 04, 2018
Hope Kim kardashian would be invited as well including her sisters.Maybe there could be a Nigerian version of keeping up with the kardashians.They could act one episode and call it A vacation in Nigeria,in case they visit.

15 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by three: 6:17pm On May 04, 2018
Lol

2 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by Blackfire(m): 6:18pm On May 04, 2018
What is wrong with this shehu sani?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by three: 6:18pm On May 04, 2018
Slavery was a choice?

2 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by papoudaupolos: 6:18pm On May 04, 2018
Kanye and FFK are running on the same software that was hacked by the devil and they only give jibbrish gabbage out.

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by AprokoGirl: 6:37pm On May 04, 2018

3 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by CodeTemplar: 6:53pm On May 04, 2018
Slavery was a choice the same way our current predicament is a choice.

If the Arabs could revolt under better conditions and Nigerians are still choosing their oppressor sheepishly, then it was a choice and we are still maintaining that choice.

98 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by three: 7:16pm On May 04, 2018
AprokoGirl:

WHO ASKED YOU

Sorry oh! undecided

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by BruncleZuma: 8:01pm On May 04, 2018
grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by IMASTEX: 8:02pm On May 04, 2018
Can we then say some country like Nija has been fully emancipated?!

If Britain dare put a ship on the shores of Nigeria with the intent to just do one more voluntary slavery as a memorial. Trust me, the ship will fill up that even the sailor/captain wouldn't get a space on the ship.

45 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by IMASTEX: 8:02pm On May 04, 2018
CodeTemplar:

If the Arabs could revolt under better conditions and Nigerians are still choosing their oppressor sheepishly, then it was a choice and we are still maintaining that choice.

5 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by inoki247: 8:02pm On May 04, 2018
we c things differently... Daz aw we choose to serve buhari for anoda 8yrs is dat not a case of slavery too... sometimes a mad man say meaning ful tinz

5 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by miracle956: 8:02pm On May 04, 2018
are u telling me if they offer to take an average Nigerian abroad for modern slavery he won't oblige?

5 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by asawanathegreat(m): 8:02pm On May 04, 2018
Stop wasting our money shewu

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by okomile(f): 8:03pm On May 04, 2018
Shehu sanni is a poo grin

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by Nobody: 8:03pm On May 04, 2018
Lol

You see something about me, I'm always on the "wrong side" of popular opinion.

As for Kanye West. I don't agree with anyone calling him an Uncle Tom. AKA a "House N*****". Basically, a black man that supports racist whites. And I think you must be really stupid if you think he is one, because all through his career, he's always made a point about how he, as a descendant of former slaves, made it in life.

Now to the topic. He said, "You know, after 400 years, it starts to seem like a choice". I think you should watch the whole video for context. It helps.

His point was pretty obvious. On the plantations in the Southern parts of the United States, where slavery was predominant, over time they'd grown to a LAGRE population and outnumbered the whites controlling them. I mean, the population ratio was probably like 50 blacks to one white supervisor. They had the physical strength. And they weren't chained anymore. What stopped them from launching a revolt and overthrowing their oppressors? There were revolts, but only by a few people while the rest of the scared slaves hid in fear of "Massa" (Master). Another thing that contributed to their fear was the religion they were taught. They were given Bibles and brainwashed. I mean, there are actual portions in the Bible where the "Almighty God" supposedly regulates slavery.

In essence, they were mentally enslaved as well, and therefore made the choice to remain in those shackles. Physical chains might take away choice from you, but when you're mentally enslaved, you have a choice to free yourself. You have a choice to wake up.

Harriet Tubman, a hero of the black slaves and possible face of a new US currency bill freed thousands of slaves through the "Underground Railroad". She made the CHOICE to emancipate herself from mental slavery and she escaped. She came back also, to free thousands of slaves. And she has a famous quote:

"I freed a thousand slaves, and I could've freed a thousand more, if only they KNEW they were slaves".

When listening to Kanye West (or anybody, for that matter) with an unprejudiced mind, the points he was trying to make were really clear. I'm happy that he made the effort to clarify himself AGAIN, on Twitter, but even at that most of the replies were unintelligent memes and people regurgitating the same "He said slavery is a choice blah blah blah". Only a someone with a 'half-brain' would actually think that he was implying that black men voluntarily chose to leave Africa to be enslaved in a strange land.

Unfortunately, there are too many dimwitted people in society today, who only feed on headlines and never apply critical reasoning to understand the content of the message being passed. We had a similar situation over here with the #LazyNigerianYouth hashtag.

106 Likes 16 Shares

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by brownshooga: 8:03pm On May 04, 2018
They are getting him wrong!

The choice he was talking about is MENTAL SLAVERY!
I think this senator should go back nd read up Everything Kanye said b4 jumping into conclusion.

Its over hundred years now, we should be talking about the future nd leave this slave thing bhind us.

After all it was still blacks dat sold blacks into slavery so everyone is as guilty as fvck including diz crazy senator dat wnt face their work nd do wat they elected to do!

29 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by nairaman66(m): 8:04pm On May 04, 2018
Kanye West is Mr controversy, but he choose the wrong topic! He should enjoy the backlash!!

1 Like 2 Shares

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by Flokey: 8:04pm On May 04, 2018
The demon in that kardashine pvssy have distroyed a great talent
shocked
The fear of the kardashines is the beginning of wisdom

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by Temple1288(m): 8:04pm On May 04, 2018
Kanye West is absolutely right!
Even with the numbers Black African were successfully enslaved meant they had problems with their brains. They were mentally enslaved!

It was a choice!

12 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by Nobody: 8:05pm On May 04, 2018
Bring him here let him see the point of no return.
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by ikorodureporta: 8:06pm On May 04, 2018
cheesy all these bloggers stealing big news...... I saw it on cnn
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by Gangster1ms: 8:07pm On May 04, 2018
This one sabi who kanye west be? shocked

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by Alejoc(m): 8:07pm On May 04, 2018
Keeping him honest!
Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by oyetunder(m): 8:08pm On May 04, 2018
lipsrsealed Oga lazy senator. Leave Kanye and the history of slavery alone. Let us face the worst type of slavery we are facing since independence. A situations whereby very few Nigerians enslaved millions when we all have equal rights as Nigerians.

13 Likes

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by projectorz: 8:09pm On May 04, 2018
CodeTemplar:

I
Could not agree more . Sad!

1 Like

Re: Senator Shehu Sani Invites Kanye West To Visit Slave Ports In Africa by FolabiCash: 8:10pm On May 04, 2018
Shehu sani is just a clout chaser. Kanye isn't your level. Back off.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

2019: Myths, Realities Of Buhari, Atiku Clash In Bauchi-vanguard / Court Restrains Ayu From Acting As PDP National Chairman / Letter From A Niger-Deltan to Tompolo

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.