Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,835 members, 7,824,476 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 10:56 AM

The Group Assignment - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / The Group Assignment (1520 Views)

Last Assignment / Order Expression Beat And Papers The Difficulties Of School Assignment Formulati / Assignment: How He Spent His Christmas Holiday (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 4:47pm On May 07, 2018
story by olaolowo source www.emperorblog.com.ng/the-group-assignment/
INTRODUCTION This story is dedicated to all students and Lovers of History. It’s not meant to thrill anyone but to shed more light on some of the historic happenings in the Western part of Nigeria. Dedicated to all Students (Ex or Current) of the GREAT POLYTECHNIC IBADAN and special dedication to my former HOD of the Public Administration department. Mr. Ayeni who lost his life after we left the school. Your memories live on sir. One of the best Lecturers I have ever had. ****************************************************************** This story has no resemblance to anybody dead or alive. All right reserved. This story shouldn’t be reproduced in any form or means without the permission of the writer. (Ola Olowo) This story is not totally a fiction and it was written based on what the writer was able to gather from the citizens of Ikija, Olumo rock. Copyright 2018
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 6:37pm On May 07, 2018
Shhhh01 tsharp
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 7:57am On May 08, 2018
olumose001, eyesofpearls, pgodson7, tsharp, labelle123, maryamuwane, Gobek, emperorblog, Ann2012, headbasher96, YINK89, Cmyname, surddick, FreshestManny, INDUSTRIALFAN...I see y'all
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 5:09pm On May 08, 2018
Read other cool qnd interesting story here www.emperorblog.com.ng
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 2:07pm On May 09, 2018
THE GROUP ASSIGNMENT “OLUMO ROCK” Edited by Ghandi Episode 1 It was a wet day. The rain had poured in a magnificent measure overnight and the first lecture for the day was history, tutored by the famous lecturer, Professor Tanmo Olamoyegun. Professor Olamoyegun was one of those age long lecturer we had in our school, the great Polytechnic of Ibadan. All students loved him for his great knowledge in history and most importantly historical events that happened in Nigeria back in the 80’s and beyond. Professor Tanmo as popularly called was an old man with grey hairs as exemplified by a great icon in the Nigerian Yoruba movie industry, Sir Peter Fatomilola. He spoke like the late Adebayo Faleti whenever he took on his likeness as a way to flaunt his utter admiration for him during history class. Bidemi, won’t you wake up? Its 7.30am already. Remember we have Professor Tanmo by 8.30am. I said, kicking my roommate in his bum facing the ceiling like he were an inflated ‘old agege bread’. Kola, leave me make I sleep now. Bidemi said while still on the bed. Idiot, you know we won’t want to miss today’s lecture for nothing. I said Wetin dey happen today? Bidemi asked Have you forgotten that we are having Professor Tanmo this morning? Remember he told us last week that we will be having a group assignment on-site and he’s going to be fixing us in group himself. Abeg leave that old man joor, Bidemi grumbled as he went back to sleep again Olodo, am leaving soon. Don’t expect me to make breakfast for you this morning Hey! He exclaimed. Abeg na If you really know you want to eat, better get dressed and let’s go so we could call at Bibire to have our breakfast before class. Bidemi jumped up instantly to the bathroom. read more here www.emperorblog.com.ng
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 3:18pm On May 09, 2018
olumose001, eyesofpearls, pgodson7, tsharp, labelle123, maryamuwane, Gobek, emperorblog, Ann2012, headbasher96, YINK89, Cmyname, surddick, FreshestManny, INDUSTRIALFAN...I see y'all shhh01
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 7:53am On May 10, 2018
Episode 2 In the class… The class was still not filled to its full capacity by the time we got in. We could see so many other students talking and gisting and we also joined in the conversation after we have found a place in the front row of the class. Some few minutes later, we heard the loud thud of professor Olamoyegun’s old fashioned shoes in the entrance of the class, got called to order and maintain a dead silence. However, it was a tradition whenever he got to enter the class as he walked majestically to the board in his usual fashion. One thing I admire was is mode of dressing. “This man would have been a palm-wine tapper or a primary school teacher if he had not been a lecturer. I mumbled. “In previous classes, we’ve been looking at some historical events that have happened in Nigeria. In the past two classes we discussed mostly is about the wars that have happened in Yoruba land. We discussed about the Jalumi war of 1878. The battle of Ikirun which was a bloody war fought by the people of Ibadan on the side of Ikirun against the allied forces of Ilorin, Ila, Ekiti and Ijesha on November 1, 1878 in the northern part the modern day Osun state. Basically the Jalumi war was among the devastating civil wars that plagued the Yoruba nation in the 19th century, did you all still remember that? Yes sir. We all chorused. We also talked on the Osogbo war of 1840. The battle of how the Fulani’s tactically captured and made Ilorin their territory and how they subjugate the old oyo empire in 1836/1836. Another one we talked about was the Mugbamugba war when I explained how Are-Ona Kakanfo Afonja was murdered and how Ilorin was seized by the Fulani Jamma and also how Alimi became the first Fulani ruler of Ilorin not with the title of Oba or Baale but Emir which solidifies that the total control of Ilorin, a Yoruba town had gone to the Fulani’s. Who else still remembered some other wars, we talked about in the previous class? The Egba Dahomey war sir! I said In what year? Professor Tanmo asked immediately 851. I replied. Good! Good of you Kola. He said. Now, for the project on this particular course, I have got an approval from the school authority. You are all going to embark on a journey. All the class started murmuring…
Read more here www.emperorblog.com.ng
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 12:14pm On May 11, 2018
Episode 3 Professor Tanmo smiled. You are all going to travel in groups. You are all going to choose from the following tourist centers. Don’t be afraid. All of this tourist centres are in the southwest. I want you all to go there, make a field research about them and document them. He walked to the board and wrote 1. Ikogosi Warm spring. 2. Oranmiyan staff, Ile ife. 3. Lagos bar beach. 4. Erin Ijesha waterfalls. 5. Idanre hills, Akure. 6. Old oyo national park and Olumo rock, Abeokuta. The whole class was murmuring again. Then Professor Tanmo turned to the class. Today is Wednesday. The school has approved that you can all take the rest of the week off. I will be getting my assignment next week Wednesday. The class rep, his assistant and Kola should ensure everybody is grouped. I don’t want more than 10 people in a group. Kola, let me have the list of members in every group before the end of the day. Goodbye and good luck! Professor Tanmo said and he exited the class. Immediately he left the class, the whole class went in disarray. Bidemi and I moved to the board to see the list of places Professor Tanmo wrote. Guy, which one make we go na? I asked Bidemi Baba, considering the distance and cost, I will suggest we go to the one closer to us. Bidemi said. Hope you are not suggesting the old oyo national park? I said Yes, that was my thought you know. He replied Abegi, let’s go out of Ibadan. Johnson suggested That’s a nice idea Johnson. Getting out of Ibadan will give us an edge over others who would be in the vicinity of Oluyole here. I replied. Then Tope and Babatunde walked up to us. Hey Guys! We are in your team. Tunde said. That’s good. I am the team leader. I said Let’s move out of Ibadan and as Bidemi had said too, we need to consider our financial strength too. So I will advise we don’t go far. You are right Kola. Tope said. So where should we go? Should we go to Abeokuta then? Tunde soliloquized. That’s the Olumo rock, abi? Bidemi asked Yea, the Olumo rock. Johnson said. Ok guys, are we all agreeing on the Olumo rock? Yes, we do. They all chorused in Unison. Alright then, the Olumo rock it is!
read more here www.emperorblog.com.ng
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 12:41pm On May 11, 2018
cbella obedugo AvatarMode
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 10:51pm On May 11, 2018
oo
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 2:19pm On May 12, 2018
EPISODE 4 The next day, we left the beautiful city of Ibadan. It was just like a mass transit because every one of us in the bus were students. Other team members who also chose the Olumo rock was also in the 14 seater bus with us. In two hours, we were already in the beautiful city of Abeokuta and I was really elated to see lots of ancient houses in the city. We really had a smooth trip from Ibadan down to Ikija, Abeokuta. When we finally alighted in front of the tourist centre, I was amazed to see the gigantic rock stratified over each other. God, you are great. I sighed and reached for the gate to pay a toll fee of N700 with my ATM card in their POS machine and we were allowed in afterwards by the tourist guards. Immediately we got in, some guys whom I got to discover were citizens of Ikija flocked around us, each person beckoning us to follow him so he could be our guide going up to the rock. Omo, see this place o. Johnson exclaimed. Guys, are we going to climb this rock to its peak or we would stick around here to get the information we need for the assignment? Bidemi asked You be mumu! How we no go climb the rock? Naso we go just pay N700 like that? Tope queried. I just left them to continue the flimsy argument among one another while I walked over to one of the tourist officials to discuss with him. Afterwards, he agreed to lead our team up the rock in order to ensure the efficient exploration and delivery of our main course in the area. The tourist official named Lasisi, a citizen of Ikija reached with my team for a cascade of 120 steps high that took us 25 minutes to reach the summit. It was 137 metres above sea level! Abeg, I no dey go again. Johnson revolted seating on the bare floor. Everybody busted into laughter. Wetin? You no dey go where again? Tope asked I no dey go with una again. Johnson insisted this time Ai ti de ibiti an lo gan gan (We have not gotten to the exact place we are going) Lasisi, our team tourist guide said Ani mi o lo mo se (I insist that I am not going again) Johnson my Kogi friend replied in Yoruba language We watched the drama between them for some minutes before I beckoned on the guy to continue taking us round leaving Johnson behind. Na so una go leave me abi? Johnson wailed You are playing with your C.A Johnson. I yelled back at him and the rest of the guys busted into another round of laughter. Lasisi took us through the Lisabi garden telling us the significance of all the trees there and its uses. He showed us the abode of the hunter who discovered the rock. Funnily, he said the Egbas built the first 3 bedroom flat in the history of Yorubaland. We all laughed at his style of Comedy. Afterwards, we passed through a small door then we met a group of old woman dressed in an orthodox way. We greeted them all then Lasisi introduced us to 133year old Iya Orisa (The mother god) Lasisi said she was the only living being left who witnessed the Lisabi war. As the team leader, I walked closer to Iya Orisa with no iota of fear, knelled down before her and gave her N500. She prayed for me and beckoned me to sit down. The rest of the team moved closer to me and also hand some money to her. We all sat round her and I said. Iya, awa lati ilu Ibadan lati wa mo ipinlese apata olumo (Mother, we came way from Ibadan to research into the history of the Olumo rock) Omo mi (My son) Iya Orisa begun Se e fe mo? (Do you really want to know?) Ati emi ati awon akeegbe mi, a femo (My colleagues and I want to know) E tele mi (You can all follow me) She stood up and walked inside her small room while the rest of us all bent down to enter in because it was like a cave. Her room was austere except for the mats, pots and clothes in it. She beckoned us to sit on the mat in a circle. Afterwards, she sat in the middle of us. Se e tise tan (Are you all ready?) She said Ati se tan (We are ready) we all chorused in Unison E di oju yin ki e se di mi lowo mu (You all should close your eyes and hold my hands) I couldn’t speak for others of my teammates but immediately I closed my eyes and touched her, I felt transcended and inwardly drifted into literarily a very big black hole…
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 6:05am On May 13, 2018
o
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 8:34pm On May 14, 2018
EPISODE 5 In the 19th century Adagba, a certain hunter/farmer discovered a natural place of refuge from wars and pestilence. Adagba would retreat with his wife to the safety of the rock whenever the need had arose. The hunter stayed in the rock for 3 years before coming out after the war. Other Egba investigating group of hunters (consisting of three hunters) met with Adaba who later brought them over to the rock and convinced that their search for a refuge was over. With the surrounding tropical rainforest and Ogun River, they believed that they have arrived at the promise land having the Ifa (Oracle) to confirm its suitability. In 1830, Shoeke a hunter and leader of Egba refugees from Ibadan area founded the town of Abeokuta which means “beneath the rock” The rock was later named “Olumo” as collocated in two words. The first is “Olu” (God) “Mo” (Molded) which means (God molded it) while the second is Oluwafimo that means God has put an end to our wandering and suffering. In the rock, there was this ancient shrine in which all sacrifices were being done. The Alake of Egba and the chief priest were the only person entitled to enter into the place while the other kings were not allowed in. For so many people,it was a praying ground and sacrifices whenever the festival comes up annually on August 5. It was recounted that the rock has been a magnanimous help to the town down the memory lane most especially for the Egba people of the town as it often save them from war and many more of other attacks. There are many heroic statue there in the rock epitomizing the heroes who fought for the community. It was also discovered that during the rainy season, the Olumo rock produces water mostly used by herbalists to cure sickness and diseases but it stopped producing water 50 years ago, close to this point was a tomb behind the house of a chief called Simi Osi-toko who died in 1966 at 122years. Also in the Lisabi garden, there are 3 giant trees there, which is called the Dongoyaro tree (which cures malaria), the Panseke tree (which has a long seed that sounds like the name) and Odan tree (where lovers meet back in those days)
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 5:53am On May 17, 2018
a
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 8:54pm On May 17, 2018
EPISODE 6 …a snap back to reality. My sons, wake up. I felt Iya Orisa’s hand on my forehead and instantaneously I was taken out of the trance and brought back to the present world. And so did she do to the rest of the team who were lying on the mat and they all woke up immediately she laid her hand on their heads. We came out of Iya Orisa’s room and the tourist official took us round the rock. We passed up the orthodox route that leads to the summit of the rock and it was one of the scariest moments of my life. After we all scaled through we got to the rock summit. Lo and behold, my team and I were taking a panorama view of the beautiful city of Abeokuta in all directions. Three weeks later In the class… It was in Professor Tanmo’s class. He was dressed in a native attire with his cap well fitted on his head. We were done with our exams and Professor Tanmo would be announcing the best team to us today. Good day class! Professor Tanmo greeted Good day sir! We replied I know you are surprised you saw that there was only one question for you all in the exam you wrote. Yes, I decided what I want for my C.A. was just 1 question. After looking through the group assignment I could see that only few of you did a great job and only two teams did extra-ordinarily well. A team that travelled to Ikogosi and a team that travelled to Abeokuta to see the Olumo rock in Ikija. That was a contest but a winner must be announced that was why I gave only one question for the exam. We were all sited in the class in groups of teammates. Johnson, Tunde, Tope, Yetunde and the rest of the guys were all sited and we were anticipatorily tensed and anxious. The team in the third position was the team headed by Abayomi Adeleke. A round of applause was shattered in the whole of the class and Abayomi stood up on behalf of his team to meet Professor Tanmo for the small gift which was well wrapped. The team in the second position was the team headed by Yemi Olowo. Professor Tanmo announced. We all clapped as Yemi walked to the Professor to receive the gift meant for her team. She is from Ekiti state, and Ikogosi is in Ekiti state. Her grand ma must have done a great job in assisting her team but I still wondered who the best team was. The best team is the team headed by Kolawole Ajayi. Ehhhhhh!!!!!!! The whole of the class rose in disarray as my team was shouting and screaming excitedly. After 10 minutes when everything had settled, Professor Tanmo said. And finally we are announcing the best student for this semester and this set. The person of Kolawole Ajayi. The professor articulated. The end. Understand: It is a collective responsibility of both the government and the countrymen as a whole to protect the integrity of such cultural heritage sites from destructive effects of natural and man-made hazards. The deterioration or destruction of our cultural heritage sites constitutes a harmful loss to humanity as such represent unique and irreplaceable properties of great value to mankind’s legacy.
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 6:08am On May 18, 2018
ebonyfaf daviesblaze Oluangelkay classicladyk dotyoung Geemoni71 Chivera018 Missmossy rukidanty babyurgly1 Chris2face Ann2012 Izaray aprilwise labelle123 Godwindanielboy mikelife15 pinkie2018 Yusuf2 Donyai
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 5:55am On May 19, 2018
Chisiudeh phoenixchap horladstar honourable356 EkopSparoAyara Meneski helenbee vickyluvspices iamloyalty agp19 joshnes heemah joislim rchilee labelle123 oroolorun boffinjay evaristomonarch nikz quineetee chii8 whocarex opeade939 kaycee9242 Godwinfury eberechi24 alarmednigerian adeculate

1 Like

Re: The Group Assignment by Oroolorun(m): 1:14pm On May 20, 2018
I wrote a short story about Olumo Rock last year for children and the funny thing is that I have never seen the soil of Abeokuta talkless of visiting Olumo Rock. Thanks for sharing.
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 3:57am On May 22, 2018
Oroolorun:
I wrote a short story about Olumo Rock last year for children and the funny thing is that I have never seen the soil of Abeokuta talkless of visiting Olumo Rock. Thanks for sharing.

waw,that cool i,can,take ur time,to visit there
Re: The Group Assignment by emperorblog(m): 7:58pm On May 22, 2018
READ MORE STORY ON www.emperorblog.com.NG

(1) (Reply)

These Five People Will Never Go Far / Operation Get To The Airport! / My Names Are/is... Which Is Correct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 114
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.