Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,912 members, 7,821,182 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 09:24 AM

NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse (30830 Views)

Emzor Pharmaceuticals Plans $23 Million Investment In Ogun / BBC: 'Sweet Sweet Codeine' - Nigeria’s Deadly Cough Syrup Epidemic Documentary / Video Of Emzor Sales Rep "Marketing" Codeine To Undercover Reporters From BBC (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Trending01: 5:18am On May 08, 2018
Nigeria’s drugs and narcotics control agency, the National Agency for Food and Drug Administration and Control (NAFDAC) Monday sealed off three major pharmaceutical companies – Emzor Pharmaceuticals Ind. Ltd., Peace Standard Pharmaceutical Limited and Bioraj Pharmaceutical Limited following their ties to the codeine abuse and epidemic presently ravaging youths mostly in northern Nigeria.

The DG of NAFDAC, Prof Mojisola Adeyeye announced the development in a statement.

“Due to insufficient evidence gathered and apparent resistance to provide needed documents during our inspection on May 2, 2018 at the respective companies in Ilorin and Lagos, respectively, it has become necessary to shut down all product lines of the three companies – Peace Standard Pharmaceutical Limited. Plots 3 & 8, Adewole Industrial Estate, Lubcon Avenue, Ilorin, Kwara State; Bioraj Pharmaceutical Limited. No 405 Kaima Road, Ilorin, Kwara State and Emzor Pharmaceuticals Ind. Ltd., Ajao Estate, Lagos.

“This is to allow for a full and comprehensive investigation. The three companies therefore remain closed. The reopening of the manufacturing companies will depend on the level of cooperation that is shown during the comprehensive investigation,” the statement said.

A recent BBC documentary brought the codeine addiction to limelight with Nigeria’s first lady, Aisha Buhari and the leadership of the National Assembly warning that government must do more to curb the abuse of cough syrup, which contains codeine.

In response to the call, THEWILL recalls that the Ministry of Health banned the production and importation of cough syrup with codeine in the country.

Monday’s statement further said: “The Director General constituted a Task Force to be made up of NAFDAC Directors- Registration and Regulatory Affairs; Narcotics and Controlled Substances; and Drug Evaluation and Research.

“Members of PMG-MAN in the Committee included the Executive Secretary of PMG-MAN, Fidson Healthcare; May & Baker PLC; and Emzor Pharmaceutical Industries. It was stated that on May 2-3, 2018 “A team of nine NAFDAC officers (2 from Drug and Evaluation Research – DER and 7 from Investigation & Enforcement – I&E) and ten mobile police officers were sent to Ilorin, Kwara State on May 2 2018 to carry out investigational inspection at the companies of the two different pharmaceutical companies that are licensed to manufacture codeine-containing syrup, and which were implicated in the BBC documentary.

“The same investigational inspection by a different NAFDAC team took place on the same day and time as the Ilorin companies at the manufacturing facility of Emzor Pharmaceuticals Ind. Ltd., Ajao Estate, Lagos.

“The focus of the assignment was to access and monitor from records the utilization, sales and effective distribution of the codeine containing cough syrups to the end users.

“Meanwhile, meeting of the stakeholders mentioned above is being planned while the shut down and full investigation.

READ MORE HERE: http://witnessngr.com/nafdac-seals-off-emzor-pharmaceuticals-others-over-codeine-abuse/

5 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Jazzlite: 5:21am On May 08, 2018
Reactionary government

66 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Olalan(m): 5:30am On May 08, 2018
Medicine after death, it took a documentary from a foreign station to get them to act, as thou there wasn't any complaints from Nigerians before nown.
Shame on all the relevant agencies

126 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by DuruCrusher(m): 5:31am On May 08, 2018
Did emzor abuse the drugs?

Or has it stopped being a cough syrup?

onACodeinDiet

103 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Nobody: 5:39am On May 08, 2018
Ban or no ban, 30,00 bottles of that substance will be consumed daily in the north.

Who's deceiving who?

grin grin

111 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by HonSuQMaDIQ(m): 5:44am On May 08, 2018
over no-good idle lazy northern youths?

9 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by rusher14: 6:27am On May 08, 2018
Emzor and the likes cannot claim they didn't realise a disproportionate hike in demand of a product that is strictly a medicine one that could be abused.

When you start churning out medicines like you would beverages it means you are encouraging abuse.

A massive fine should be imposed on these pharmaceutical companies who participated in encouraging abuse of this product well against the ethics of the profession.

I see Nigerians above me once again supporting evil because that is their latest fad.

Nigeria would never be that country you desire it to be as long as your immediate reaction is cynicism and hate.

83 Likes 11 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by new2012: 6:47am On May 08, 2018
Reta.rd.ed government agency.

It took a news outlet to even draw their attention to their job.

Emzor have done no wrong you reta.rded NafDac, codene is a legitimate drug and now abused.. I learnt those drug Abusers sniff excreta in soak always, NAFDAC should go and seal off all bricklayers... Confused lots!

Even the fast food joints, the KFC, TFC and other smaller outlets are germs and diseases distributing outlets, but I'm sure NAFDAC will never never find out.

If they did their job, the country won't even be here in the first place.. Go to their office and meet their staff that sells accreditation, sieze and resell drugs and food supplements.. Bunch of thieves!

47 Likes 2 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by new2012: 6:52am On May 08, 2018
rusher14:
Emzor and the likes cannot claim they didn't realise a disproportionate hike in demand of a product that is strictly a medicine one that could be abused.

When you start churning out medicines like you would beverages it means you are encouraging abuse.

A massive fine should be imposed on these pharmaceutical companies who participated in encouraging abuse of this product well against the ethics of the profession.

I see Nigerians above me once again supporting evil because that is their latest fad.

Nigeria would never be that country you desire it to be as long as your immediate reaction is cynicism and hate.

How did they encourage abuse? The NAFDAC that didn't do their job, Who should fine them?

Emzor and others produced legitimate drugs and sell. It's not their headache that its abused, its the ministry of health that should figure that out.. Not sure they have a functional minister though, had this been d Ebola era, maybe-just maybe Nigeria may have been decongested (pun intended).

They are supposed to churn out medicine even much more than beverages so people get treated properly and with the right drugs. Don't be overly sentimental.

All the fines the govt have collected, what were they used for? Relooted I suppose

82 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by rusher14: 6:59am On May 08, 2018
new2012:

How did they encourage abuse? The NAFDAC that didn't do their job, Who should fine them?

Emzor and others produced legitimate drugs and sell. It's not their headache that its abused, its the ministry of health that should figure that out.. Not sure they have a functional minister though, had this been d Ebola era, maybe-just maybe Nigeria may have been decongested (pun intended).

They are supposed to churn out medicine even much more than beverages so people get treated properly and with the right drugs. Don't be overly sentimental.

All the fines the govt have collected, what were they used for? Relooted I suppose

Pharmacists Oath

"I have come to recognize and accept my role as a Pharmacist. I therefore solemnly and truthfully pledge MYSELF to devote my life to the service of mankind.

I do pledge to serve directly or indirectly in the team for Health Care delivery.

I will perform my services and duties with devotion, dignity, discretion, and honour.

My colleagues will surely be respected for their opinion and I will feel free in consultation with them.

However, I do consider the health of the patient or patrons above all and will abstain from whatever may be deleterious to the health.

I will also keep in confidence whatever information which directly or indirectly I may have through my professional service concerning the life and health of people.

I will sustain my respect for human life at all stages.

I will not use my knowledge of drugs, diseases, and medicine contrary to the laws of humanity.

I will provide such facilities and environment, which will enhance the desirable growth of my service.

I will indeed refrain from self-advertisement.

It is with solemnity and honour that I freely and publicly make these PLEDGES.
So help me GOD.

I have said it that only in Nigeria would you find people putting up such defence.
Don't you guys get tired of supporting evil?
Would your society evolve for the better with your view point?

54 Likes 8 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Robbin7(m): 7:06am On May 08, 2018
I Dey come
Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by new2012: 7:10am On May 08, 2018
rusher14:

Pharmacists Oath

"I have come to recognize and accept my role as a Pharmacist. I therefore solemnly and truthfully pledge MYSELF to devote my life to the service of mankind.

I do pledge to serve directly or indirectly in the team for Health Care delivery.

I will perform my services and duties with devotion, dignity, discretion, and honour.

My colleagues will surely be respected for their opinion and I will feel free in consultation with them.

However, I do consider the health of the patient or patrons above all and will abstain from whatever may be deleterious to the health.

I will also keep in confidence whatever information which directly or indirectly I may have through my professional service concerning the life and health of people.

I will sustain my respect for human life at all stages.

I will not use my knowledge of drugs, diseases, and medicine contrary to the laws of humanity.

I will provide such facilities and environment, which will enhance the desirable growth of my service.

I will indeed refrain from self-advertisement.

It is with solemnity and honour that I freely and publicly make these PLEDGES.
So help me GOD.

I have said it that only in Nigeria would you find people putting up such defence.
Don't you guys get tired of supporting evil?
Would your society evolve for the better with your view point?

Dude, unfortunately for you, you're not interested in understanding someone else's point of view.

They produced drugs and sell towards saving lives, someone abuses a legitimate drug, what's should the company do? Is it the company that will enforce selling drugs only based on prescriptions?

You mentally shut down your mind to other opinions. Do you realize that codene is for legitimate purposes? Are you aware it's not exclusively emzor? The only reason Emzor is in this is because some investigative reporter caught one of their sales person.

Who should enforce some sort of prescription for drugs pharmacy? Who should measure the country in identifying drug abuse? Should the pharmaceutical companies figure out if the masses are abusing any certain drug?

I'll give u an analogy, Nigerians seldom pour acid on people for whatever reason, should the government ban acids or close down the manufacturers? You can still get acid to buy if you know where...

So sometimes read and listen to understand not to provide response..

99 Likes 6 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by rusher14: 7:14am On May 08, 2018
new2012:

Dude, unfortunately for you, you're not interested in understanding someone else's point of view.

They produced drugs and sell towards saving lives, someone abuses a legitimate drug, what's should the company do? Is it the company that will enforce selling drugs only based on prescriptions?

You mentally shut down your mind to other opinions. Do you realize that codene is for legitimate purposes? Are you aware it's not exclusively emzor? The only reason Emzor is in this is because some investigative reporter caught one of their sales person.

Who should enforce some sort of prescription for drugs pharmacy? Who should measure the country in identifying drug abuse? Should the pharmaceutical companies figure out if the masses are abusing any certain drug?

I'll give u an analogy, Nigerians seldom pour acid on people for whatever reason, should the government ban acids or close down the manufacturers? You can still get acid to buy if you know where...

So sometimes read and listen to understand not to provide response..

There is nothing to understand.

We do not have a cough epidemic.

Should these manufacturers have witnessed a disproportionate increase in demand they should have cried out even if it was strictly for cough.

Anywhere else in the developed world and they might have their licences revoked.

Enough with your 3rd world reasoning.

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by lonelydora: 7:17am On May 08, 2018
This is wrong. NAFDAC and FG have been overlooking this issue for a long time now. Is it because a foreign media talked about it?

What's the job description of a marketer? The young man was simply doing his job.

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by oyoyoyo: 7:17am On May 08, 2018
on a codeine diet
Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by carpmam: 7:17am On May 08, 2018
I don't know y they are ganging up against emzor,they nafdac gave them the license to produce codeine,they gave them the specific quantity to be produced daily,why are they now sealing the company, have it been established that they produce more of the drug,or is it just because the owner of the company is from the east,or maybe because she is a woman

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Obierika(m): 7:18am On May 08, 2018
They're locking the stable doors after the horse has already escaped

2 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by 9aiboard: 7:18am On May 08, 2018
Lol see move

Luvmp
Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by frankmoney(m): 7:18am On May 08, 2018
There are other cough medications that codeine substance is not included , why didn't the pharmateutical company produce more of that and less of the syrup ? They are just a typical capitalist company who want to real profit even at the detriment of thier customers

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Nobody: 7:19am On May 08, 2018
They had to wait for bbc to do documentary. I guess its until bbc does anoda doumentaryvon those ab0kis hawking drugs before dey act ba

3 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by kolafolabi(m): 7:19am On May 08, 2018
Long over due

3 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Kobicove(m): 7:19am On May 08, 2018
Why would they seal up a whole company cos of the actions of a rogue employee

4 Likes

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by 9aiboard: 7:19am On May 08, 2018
They done start movement
Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by moyinoluwabun(m): 7:20am On May 08, 2018
They wanna render some people jobless right

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by SamuelAnyawu(m): 7:20am On May 08, 2018
grin Even Bokoharam will be affected with this Codeine ban

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Buffalowings3(m): 7:20am On May 08, 2018
useless nafdac

Dey should ban cigarettes den as ot is universally proven it is detrimental to health

lazy youths in the north compunding our problems since 2014 BC

They cant be weaned off it
And with it high marginal profit, Watch as codein production goes underground

Useless BBC, peddlers of fake news.
You wont hear of real news
You wont hear of the continued racism and apartheid in Namibia in the 21st cemtury
You wont hear of the genocide occuring in the nigeria middle belt
But you will hear of some useless lazy youths whose lives have been destroyed because of the choices they made.

BBC camt deceive me no more
I never understood my hatred of Mugabe
But the scales have fallen off my eyes
And i have nothing but deep respect for him despite his shortcoming cool

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Cuteamigo1(m): 7:21am On May 08, 2018
Jazzlite:
Reactionary government
you have said it all
Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Cuteamigo1(m): 7:21am On May 08, 2018
Jazzlite:
Reactionary government
you have said it all, imagine how it took a bbc report before they woke up from thier sleep

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by lonelydora: 7:21am On May 08, 2018
macbede:
Ban or no ban, 30,00 bottles of that substance will be consumed daily in the north.

Who's deceiving who?

grin grin

30,000 bottles and still counting.

1 Like

Re: NAFDAC Seals Off Emzor Pharmaceuticals, Others Over Codeine Abuse by Aldebaran(m): 7:22am On May 08, 2018
NAFDAC

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

How To Use Onions To Treat Urinary Tract Infections, Dry Cough, Hypertension / At 29, She's Still Bed Wetting Please Help Her!!!!! / Lady Accuses Hospitals Of Turning C-section To A Profit Making Venture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.