Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,829 members, 7,810,185 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:47 PM

Child Christening On The Eighth Day Is It A Biblical Observation Or? - Religion - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Child Christening On The Eighth Day Is It A Biblical Observation Or? (1504 Views)

Whitney Houston: A Biblical Perspective On Addiction / TB Joshua and SCOAN: A Biblical View Part 1 / Heaven Help Those Who Help Themselves Is Not A Biblical Word. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Child Christening On The Eighth Day Is It A Biblical Observation Or? by Keziah(f): 7:16pm On Mar 16, 2007
I understand that there are some Religious  Denominations/groups that don’t christen their children on the eighth day according to the doctrines of some other churches and the reason they gave was that, after the coming of Christ everything changed. Even though He was born and christened on the eight day (according to the Jewish tradition in those days) but later made those around Him understand that his coming changed everything, including observation of the Sabbath day and most of the Jewish Laws then.

My question is: Child Christening on the Eighth Day is it a Biblical Observation  or Nigerian/Yoruba Tradition?

Pls. I need your opinion as this affects a lot of people Financially.
Re: Child Christening On The Eighth Day Is It A Biblical Observation Or? by Nobody: 8:18pm On Mar 16, 2007
Keziah:

I understand that there are some Religious Denominations/groups that don’t christen their children on the eighth day according to the doctrines of some other churches and the reason they gave was that, after the coming of Christ everything changed. Even though He was born and christened on the eight day (according to the Jewish tradition in those days) but later made those around Him understand that his coming changed everything, including observation of the Sabbath day and most of the Jewish Laws then.
My question is: Child Christening on the Eighth Day is it a Biblical Observation or Nigerian/Yoruba Tradition?

Please. I need your opinion as this affects a lot of people Financially.

You have answered your own question.
Re: Child Christening On The Eighth Day Is It A Biblical Observation Or? by Keziah(f): 5:04pm On Mar 19, 2007
Babyosi thanks for your comment but that wasn't an answer. I am talking about peoples' belief and i wanted to know the truth since we have alot of doctirnes today. I wanted to hear other peoples' view based on the churches they attend and their doctrines. So ur view will be appreciated rather than being dry about it.
Re: Child Christening On The Eighth Day Is It A Biblical Observation Or? by pilgrim1(f): 2:56pm On Jul 11, 2007
The practice may have been derived from Genesis 17:12 & 13 - waiting until a child is eight days old before the circumcision.

Although those verses are more concerned with circumcision, they have been taken to furnish an understanding of christening a child on the eighth day - although this practice does not appear to be standard among many people today.

(1) (Reply)

Annointed Oil/handkerchief/water/e.t.c - Biblical Or Merchandising / Valentine Day And Christian's Non Participation / Another Loss For Creationism In The American Courts

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 9
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.