Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,459 members, 7,819,670 topics. Date: Monday, 06 May 2024 at 08:29 PM

Please Automobile Gurus Tell Us What Happened To This Car That It Was Condemned - Autos - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Autos / Please Automobile Gurus Tell Us What Happened To This Car That It Was Condemned (586 Views)

Features Of Genesis GV80: The Car That Saved Tiger Woods' Life / US Air Force Unveils Flying Car That Could Shuttle Troops Across War Zones (Pix) / I Have A Budget Of 800k To 900k, Car Gurus Which Vehicle Do You Advise I Buy? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Please Automobile Gurus Tell Us What Happened To This Car That It Was Condemned by amliftedhigher: 2:01pm On May 08, 2018
Good day automobile gurus, please I saw this car in copart, is Run and drive, no dents or scratches, but have mechanical issues but runs and drives. My confusion is a boded statement that the car can not be registered in the United States?
Who can interpret the problem of this car that makes the US rejects it. The mileage is below 22k.

Re: Please Automobile Gurus Tell Us What Happened To This Car That It Was Condemned by Ipfreely: 3:08pm On May 08, 2018
Well there are several possible scenarios here.

This vehicle appears to have been registered in Maryland. I think a likely scenario is that the vehicle title was held for a loan or lien by a bank or other institution, or the vehicle was purchased on a payment plan, co-signed most likely by a bank.

In both scenarios the vehicle title would be held by the lending institution. In Maryland when the debt or loan has been paid in full, the institution issues a SIF or security interest filing to the other party. This basically is a letter to the effect that the debt is completely paid and the other party now fully owns the vehicle.

However in the absence of a title with this listing, and I haven't seen any evidence of a SIF present, this vehicle will not be retitled in the USA, and I have come across cases where the vehicle was eventually not approved for export.

Hence the designation, parts only.

Of course this may be a vehicle user who took out a loan or lien on the vehicle and is unable to complete payment, and is attempting to auction the vehicle directly. Since it's designated parts only there would be less scrutiny.

OR the owner lost the original title and doesn't want the stress of getting the vehicle retitled, which seems unlikely.

OR it's a donated vehicle and the title is unavailable and the auction proceeds are intended for a charity.

Non-repairable / Parts Only / Export Only / Bill of Sale may be used interchangeably depending on the title issuing state. A non-repairable or parts only title definitely indicates that the vehicle cannot be re-titled or registered in the US. These vehicles may be exported in most cases.

There's not enough information to determine the exact situation with this vehicle. The above are just situations I've come across with Maryland and other state listings in the past.

In the Nigerian scenario, it would be like a guy that got his car with a payment plan from a bank, with the bank holding onto the original documents of the vehicle, then he decides he doesn't want to pay anymore and tries to sell the vehicle without the original papers.

That may be possible in Nigeria with each state running its registration independent of the other, it may be possible to get new original papers for the vehicle, and then register and use the vehicle.

But that would likely be very difficult, and actually illegal in the US. Designating it parts only would be a way to try to sell the vehicle without the title.

My recommendation: move on. Find some other clear titled vehicle. Title disputes at auction aren't situations you want to get involved in. However if you assess the situation and you believe it's worth the risk, then by all means. It could just as easily go smoothly without any hitches.

The above is my opinion based on the facts I've come across.

1 Like

Re: Please Automobile Gurus Tell Us What Happened To This Car That It Was Condemned by SortOut: 7:20am On May 09, 2018
Ipfreely:

This vehicle appears to have been registered in Maryland. I think a likely scenario is that the vehicle title was held for a loan or lien by a bank or other institution, or the vehicle was purchased on a payment plan, co-signed most likely by a bank.

In both scenarios the vehicle title would be held by the lending institution. In Maryland when the debt or loan has been paid in full, the institution issues a SIF or security interest filing to the other party. This basically is a letter to the effect that the debt is completely paid and the other party now fully owns the vehicle.

However in the absence of a title with this listing, and I haven't seen any evidence of a SIF present, this vehicle will not be retitled in the USA, and I have come across cases where the vehicle was eventually not approved for export.

Of course this may be a vehicle user who took out a loan or lien on the vehicle and is unable to complete payment, and is attempting to auction the vehicle directly. Since it's designated parts only there would be less scrutiny.

OR the owner lost the original title and doesn't want the stress of getting the vehicle retitled, which seems unlikely.

OR it's a donated vehicle and the title is unavailable and the auction proceeds are intended for a charity.

Non-repairable / Parts Only / Export Only / Bill of Sale may be used interchangeably depending on the title issuing state. A non-repairable or parts only title definitely indicates that the vehicle cannot be re-titled or registered in the US. These vehicles may be exported in most cases.

There's not enough information to determine the exact situation with this vehicle. The above are just situations I've come across with Maryland and other state listings in the past.

In the Nigerian scenario, it would be like a guy that got his car with a payment plan from a bank, with the bank holding onto the original documents of the vehicle, then he decides he doesn't want to pay anymore and tries to sell the vehicle without the original papers.

That may be possible in Nigeria with each state running its registration independent of the other, it may be possible to get new original papers for the vehicle, and then register and use the vehicle.

But that would likely be very difficult, and actually illegal in the US. Designating it parts only would be a way to try to sell the vehicle without the title.

My recommendation: move on. Find some other clear titled vehicle. Title disputes at auction aren't situations you want to get involved in. However if you assess the situation and you believe it's worth the risk, then by all means. It could just as easily go smoothly without any hitches.

Justice Done

1 Like

Re: Please Automobile Gurus Tell Us What Happened To This Car That It Was Condemned by amliftedhigher: 2:25pm On May 10, 2018
Ipfreely:

Wow no knowledge is a waste. Thanks my brother or sister for the explanations. I have been asking my safe what all those titles means. Thanks for the clarification.

(1) (Reply)

4 Months Use Toyota Camry 2008 Xle For Sale / Porsche Piwis 2 Tester For Sale / I Have This Lexus RX 350 2008 Model For Sale

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 42
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.