Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,458 members, 7,816,077 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 02:40 AM

Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices (1342 Views)

Nigeria's Newly Acquired Tucano A-29s In Pictures / A Review Of The A29 Super Tucano Fighter Jets - Photos And Videos / Senators Call For President Buhari’s Impeachment Over $496m Tucano Aircraft (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by Bishopsgate(m): 4:29pm On May 08, 2018
The US mission in Nigeria has said all enquiries on the Tucson purchase should b3 addressed to the Nigerian Govt.

I had in the past mentioned that the figures did not add up and that we coughed up cash today to get even less value by 2020. What do you think?

"The Nigerian government is enmeshed in a controversy over purchase price of the aircraft which is meant to effectively decimate Boko Haram - Depending on the configuration, each A29 Super Tucano aircraft is reported to cost between $9 and $18 million Following the controversy surrounding the purchase of 12 A29 Super Tucano aircraft by the Nigeria government, the United States has rebuffed enquiries on the purchase price of the aircraft. The Nigerian government is currently enmeshed in the controversy over the manner of payment for the aircraft without appropriation by National Assembly, a development that stirred mutterings by legislators who want the president sanctioned over the issue"

Courtesy -Vanguard
Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by ascek(m): 4:44pm On May 08, 2018
Hmmh
Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by deomelo: 4:55pm On May 08, 2018
www.nairaland.com/attachments/7076932_tucanoaircraftpressrelease_jpeg7e61b6cc710ca04d6455964996ea1016

Defense Security Cooperation Agency
2800 Defense Pentagon
Washington, DC 20301-2800

Telephone:
(703) 697-9709

Media/Public Contact:
pm-cpa@state.gov
Transmittal No:
16-55
WASHINGTON, Aug. 3, 2017 - The State Department has made a determination approving a possible Foreign Military Sale to the Government of Nigeria of twelve (12) A-29 Super Tucano aircraft and weapons, including all associated training, spare parts, aviation and ground support equipment, and hangar, facilities, and infrastructure required to support the program. The estimated total case value is $593 million. The Defense Security Cooperation Agency delivered the required certification notifying Congress of this possible sale on August 2, 2017.

http://www.dsca.mil/major-arms-sales/government-nigeria-29-super-tucano-aircraft-weapons-and-associated-support

We have LAZYnigerianYouths

We also have LAZYnigerianAdults

They've knowledge the cost of what they sold, how much it cost and how much they received from us, so, where is the silly controversy? I'm I missing something?

They did the right thing because they don't have your time. Imagine ignorant and lazy Nigerians asking them the same dumb and silly questions endlessly as if they don't know how to read, comprehend or use common and basic logic.

Newspapers should know better, they should know where and how to source basic info instead of spreading rumors and publishing ignorant nonsense that makes them loo stupidd and worthless.

How hard is it to source such info like the above info.

I know here are a lot of ignorant people and illiterates in Nigeria, but a newspaper?
Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by superpundit: 4:59pm On May 08, 2018
Bishopsgate:
The US mission in Nigeria has said all enquiries on the Tucson purchase should b3 addressed to the Nigerian Govt.

I had in the past mentioned that the figures did not add up and that we coughed up cash today to get even less value by 2020. What do you think?

"The Nigerian government is enmeshed in a controversy over purchase price of the aircraft which is meant to effectively decimate Boko Haram - Depending on the configuration, each A29 Super Tucano aircraft is reported to cost between $9 and $18 million Following the controversy surrounding the purchase of 12 A29 Super Tucano aircraft by the Nigeria government, the United States has rebuffed enquiries on the purchase price of the aircraft. The Nigerian government is currently enmeshed in the controversy over the manner of payment for the aircraft without appropriation by National Assembly, a development that stirred mutterings by legislators who want the president sanctioned over the issue"

Courtesy -Vanguard

there are several other charges such as cost of training the pilots because this is the first time Nigeria airforce will be flying american warplanes in known history, armunition for the jets, spare parts and so on
Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by deomelo: 5:05pm On May 08, 2018
deomelo:
Funny enough, another ignorant ipob will wake up tomorrow and start another ignorant and ill informed thread about super tucano...

I posted this just yesterday and as expected, they posted the same ignorant rubbish.

Funny enough, another ignorant ipob will wake up tomorrow and start another ignorant and ill informed thread about super tucano...
Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by Maket: 5:12pm On May 08, 2018
If confirmed that the price is inflated, then this government must be CRAZY.
Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by Bishopsgate(m): 9:50pm On May 08, 2018
[quote author=deomelo post=67388790]www.nairaland.com/attachments/7076932_tucanoaircraftpressrelease_jpeg7e61b6cc710ca04d6455964996ea1016

Dear deomelo

I am back home now so I have your time.

I was aware of the write up as far back as February so that's nothing new to me. The thread is doing exactly what I wanted to see.

I state once again that this deal was bloated and a bad one for Nigeria on the basis of comparative analysis.

This Brazilian aircraft was sold to other Third World countries in the past so we were not the first. Did you take time to compare the costs for Nigeria to the other countries?

Are you aware that this deal was not done directly between the two governments but between Nigeria and a private contractor in the US? The government is only involved as a matter of law that requires govt approval for weapons deals of this nature to ensure that the US doesn't arm the wrong people or governments (even though we all know that their weapons end up in terrorists' hands all over the world).

I will like to negate this write up on which you have purportedly placed your conviction that the deal is adequately priced and not inflated with the following arguments:-

1.That a deal is confirmed by a US govt agency doesn't necessarily mean the deal is not inflated. It simply means that the deal is confirmed okay in line with the laws governing arms sales by US firms.

2.That you attached the write up from that agency stating the proposed contract amount and what it covers does not mean that we Nigerians did not get the short end of the stick because the agency is not involved in the pricing. The is was agreed with the arms contractor, which is a private firm out to make profit. The company is called SIERRA NEVADA CORP which does slot of space and defence contracts for the US government and it's owned by a billionaire husband and wife.

Please read the write up below. I have s
Displayed portions relevant to all to see.

SIERRA NEVADA CORP. AWARDED $172.5 MILLION TO PROVIDE SIX A-29 AIRCRAFT TO LEBANON
US Department of Defense
October 30, 2015
Sierra Nevada Corp., Mary Esther, Florida, has been awarded a $172,500,000 firm-fixed-price and cost-plus-fixed-fee contract for six A-29 aircraft. Contractor will provide six A-29 aircraft with associated support and equipment. This contract also provides for spares, support equipment, alternate mission equipment, interim contractor support, and engineering technical services for the A-29 aircraft. Work will be performed at Mary Esther, Florida, and is expected to be complete by July 31, 2019. This contract is 100 percent foreign military sales for the republic of Lebanon"

This same aircraft was sold to Lebanon with all the so called extra stuff you quoted as being responsible for the additional $200m + on our bill at $172.5m for 6 pieces. This means each one comes to only $28.75m per plane, while the same shot sold to us with same extras comes to $41.3m each!! A difference of almost $12m per aircraft.

Please Oga can you explain this to me?

https://militaryedge.org/articles/sierra-nevada-corp-awarded-172-5-million-provide-a-29-aircraft-lebanon/

Meanwhile pease note that Nigerian youth and adults are not lazy and neither are they illiterates. I keep seeing posts where the term "illiterate" is used to describe people here on NL.

Illiteracy doe not connote stupidity nor foolishness, it's simply an inability to read and write due to a lack of modern education. Everyone on Nairaland is literate since they can read and write.

You would do better referring to the use of words like unenlightened or shallow to describe people you think are not smart but I must say that we all must be careful because even fools make sense once in a while.

First seek to understand and THEN to be understood...

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by Bishopsgate(m): 9:54pm On May 08, 2018
deomelo:
www.nairaland.com/attachments/7076932_tucanoaircraftpressrelease_jpeg7e61b6cc710ca04d6455964996ea1016

We have LAZYnigerianYouths

We also have LAZYnigerianAdults

They've knowledge the cost of what they sold, how much it cost and how much they received from us, so, where is the silly controversy? I'm I missing something?

They did the right thing because they don't have your time. Imagine ignorant and lazy Nigerians asking them the same dumb and silly questions endlessly as if they don't know how to read, comprehend or use common and basic logic.

Newspapers should know better, they should know where and how to source basic info instead of spreading rumors and publishing ignorant nonsense that makes them loo stupidd and worthless.

How hard is it to source such info like the above info.

I know here are a lot of ignorant people and illiterates in Nigeria, but a newspaper?

Dear deomelo

I was aware of the write up as far back as February so that's nothing new to me. The thread is doing exactly what I wanted to see.

I state once again that this deal was bloated and a bad one for Nigeria on the basis of comparative analysis.

This Brazilian aircraft was sold to other Third World countries in the past so we were not the first. Did you take time to compare the costs for Nigeria to the other countries?

Are you aware that this deal was not done directly between the two governments but between Nigeria and a private contractor in the US? The government is only involved as a matter of law that requires govt approval for weapons deals of this nature to ensure that the US doesn't arm the wrong people or governments (even though we all know that their weapons end up in terrorists' hands all over the world).

I will like to negate this write up on which you have purportedly placed your conviction that the deal is adequately priced and not inflated with the following arguments:-

1.That a deal is confirmed by a US govt agency doesn't necessarily mean the deal is not inflated. It simply means that the deal is confirmed okay in line with the laws governing arms sales by US firms.

2.That you attached the write up from that agency stating the proposed contract amount and what it covers does not mean that we Nigerians did not get the short end of the stick because the agency is not involved in the pricing. The is was agreed with the arms contractor, which is a private firm out to make profit. The company is called SIERRA NEVADA CORP which does slot of space and defence contracts for the US government and it's owned by a billionaire husband and wife.

SIERRA NEVADA CORP. AWARDED $172.5 MILLION TO PROVIDE SIX A-29 AIRCRAFT TO LEBANON
US Department of Defense
October 30, 2015
Sierra Nevada Corp., Mary Esther, Florida, has been awarded a $172,500,000 firm-fixed-price and cost-plus-fixed-fee contract for six A-29 aircraft. Contractor will provide six A-29 aircraft with associated support and equipment. This contract also provides for spares, support equipment, alternate mission equipment, interim contractor support, and engineering technical services for the A-29 aircraft. Work will be performed at Mary Esther, Florida, and is expected to be complete by July 31, 2019. This contract is 100 percent foreign military sales for the republic of Lebanon"

This same aircraft was sold to Lebanon with all the so called extra stuff you quoted as being responsible for the additional $200m + on our bill at $172.5m for 6 pieces. This means each one comes to only $28.75m per plane, while the same shot sold to us with same extras comes to $41.3m each!! A difference of almost $12m per aircraft.

https://militaryedge.org/articles/sierra-nevada-corp-awarded-172-5-million-provide-a-29-aircraft-lebanon/

Meanwhile pease note that Nigerian youth and adults are not lazy and neither are they illiterates. I keep seeing posts where the term "illiterate" is used to describe people here on NL.

Illiteracy doe not connote stupidity nor foolishness, it's simply an inability to read and write due to a lack of modern education. Everyone on Nairaland is literate since they can read and write.

You would do better referring to the use of words like unenlightened or shallow to describe people you think are not smart but I must say that we all must be careful because even fools make sense once in a while.

Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by deomelo: 11:15pm On May 08, 2018
[s]
Bishopsgate:

Dear deomelo

US Department of Defense
October 30, 2015

[/s]

I can not be bother with another ignorant and unintelligent ipob rubbish..
Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by Bishopsgate(m): 5:18am On May 09, 2018
deomelo:
[s][/s]

I can not be bother with another ignorant and unintelligent ipob rubbish..

Hahaha.

Unintelligent you say? Because you are too lazy intellectually to provide answers or explanations you now start talking gibberish and calling me ipob (whatever that means to you).

You are clearly not as bright as you think if you are incapable of minor intellectual discourse. Prove your point beyond the hogwash document you have been throwing around.

I guess you are just a kitty cat that thinks he is a lion...you can never roar just mewing all over the internet!!

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by deomelo: 2:26pm On May 09, 2018
[s]
Bishopsgate:

Hahaha.

Unintelligent you say? Because you are too lazy intellectually to provide answers or explanations you now start talking gibberish and calling me ipob (whatever that means to you).

You are clearly not as bright as you think if you are incapable of minor intellectual discourse. Prove your point beyond the hogwash document you have been throwing around.

I guess you are just a kitty cat that thinks he is a lion...you can never roar just mewing all over the internet!!

[/s]

Same silly, ignorant and unintelligent ipob rubbish...
Re: Controversy On Tucano Aircraft Purchase Prices by Bishopsgate(m): 8:03pm On May 09, 2018
deomelo:
[s][/s]

Same silly, ignorant and unintelligent ipob rubbish...

You are just a scared ugly little cat.

Here kitty kitty kittyyyy!!!!

(1) (Reply)

''IGP Was A Victim Of Dark Spirits And Satanic Forces''...fani Kayode (video) / Fake news and Nigeria's herder crisis: How To Spot Fake News-BBC / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.