Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,126 members, 7,814,942 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 12:56 AM

Stop Blackmailing Me, I Owe No One Any Apology, IGP Idris Tells Senate - Nairaland / General - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Stop Blackmailing Me, I Owe No One Any Apology, IGP Idris Tells Senate (400 Views)

Presidency Reacts To Video Of IGP Idris Struggling To Read Speech In Kano Video / Why I Ignored Senate Invitation – IGP Idris / Sen. Misau Was A Bad Cop, Says IGP Idris (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Go Down)

Stop Blackmailing Me, I Owe No One Any Apology, IGP Idris Tells Senate by Gift101(m): 6:50am On May 10, 2018
Twitter: @Toribaze

…..Idris, enemy of democracy, not fit to hold any position – Senate …Senate declares IGP persona non grata

…As IGP shuns Senate 3rd time

…DP blasts IGP, berates Buhari for failing to act

…Senate to write embassies, INTERPOL, others

… Resolution declaring me unfit for public office a blackmail – IGP

ABUJA—FOR his refusal to appear before the Senate at plenary yesterday, the third time in two weeks, to speak on the spate of killings across the country and the inhuman treatment meted on Senator Dino Melaye ( APC, Kogi West), the Senate, yesterday passed a vote of no confidence in the Inspector- General of Police, Mr Ibrahim Idris, saying he was not fit to hold any office, both home and abroad.

But the Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, yesterday also told the Senate that he had no apology for his failure to answer the summon from the legislature for the three consecutive times.

According to the Senate, his persistent refusal to appear before the lawmakers at plenary having been invited several time, was a great danger to the nation’s democracy.

This was disclosed by Senate President Bukola Saraki at the end of a closed door session that started 12.25p.m., and ended 1.15p.m., to brainstorm on the next line of action following the action of the Police boss.

At the closed door session, the Senate resolved to declare the Police boss persona -non grata by writing the international community, embassies, Nigeria’s international partners and the Interpol that he was not fit for his present position.

Separately,  the Peoples Democratic Party, PDP, has chided the IGP for shunning the invitation by the Senate  over rising cases of insecurity in the country.

The party described Idris’ conduct as shameful and disrespectful, noting that the hallowed chamber deserves the respect of all Nigerians regardless of their class and status.

In a statement, yesterday,  its National Publicity Secretary, Kola Ologbondiyan, said it was unfortunate that  the police boss’ behaviour has not been reprimanded by President Muhammadu Buhari.

The party  said, “It is instructive to state that never in our democratic history as a people and a nation, has a service chief or an Inspector General of Police treated the National Assembly with as much dishonour and disdain like the current IGP.”

Saraki after the closed door session,  said, “Colleagues, the Senate in a closed session deliberated on the non-appearance of the IGP to the Senate in plenary after several invitations. The Senate noted that this amounted to a great disrespect to the institution and constituted authority. The Senate also notes that his earlier refusal to appear before its investigative committee was overruled by a court of competent jurisdiction just in April of this year.

“The Senate therefore, views his persistent refusal as a great danger to our democracy.

“Therefore, the Senate resolved to declare the IGP as an enemy of our democracy and not fit to hold any public office within and outside Nigeria. The leadership of the Senate is also mandated to look into the matter for further necessary action.”

Senators prior to the closed door session, had condemned in very strong terms, the blatant refusal of the IGP  to honour the invitation of the Senate, as they all described it as danger for the nation’s democracy.

Senator Enyinnaya Abaribe (PDP, Abia South) in his contribution, said that with the action of the IGP, democracy is dying in bits.

Abaribe said, “Democracy dies and it dies in two ways. It either dies abruptly or in bits and what is happening today in Nigeria is that democracy is dying in bits. It dies when people abuse governmental powers and all that we have seen today with the conduct of the Chief Law Officer of the Federation is nothing but an abuse of power.”

Also contributing, deputy Senate Minority leader, Emmanuel Bwacha (PDP, Taraba South), described the action of Idris as very sad for Nigeria. His words: “This is quite a sad moment for Nigeria, not for the parliament, but for our democracy.

“It is sad, it is inexcusable, unacceptable and condemnable and it calls for immediate action. This Senate needs to take very serious action on the way forward. We cannot stand this embarrassment any longer. I will suggest we have a closed session. I’m moving to have a closed session or executive session to take very serious consideration on this matter  because this is a national disgrace.”

Resolution declaring me unfit for public office a blackmail – IGP

THE Inspector General of Police, Ibrahim Idris, yesterday, told the Senate that he had no apology for his failure to answer the summon...

http://toribaze.com/naija-news/stop-blackmailing-owe-apology-igp-idris-tells-senate/

Lalasticlala, Mynd44, MissyB3, Fynestboi

Re: Stop Blackmailing Me, I Owe No One Any Apology, IGP Idris Tells Senate by Gift101(m): 6:53am On May 10, 2018
Re: Stop Blackmailing Me, I Owe No One Any Apology, IGP Idris Tells Senate by emiwanlee(m): 6:57am On May 10, 2018
Hausa muslims always believing that they are above the law
Re: Stop Blackmailing Me, I Owe No One Any Apology, IGP Idris Tells Senate by TribesNG: 7:07am On May 10, 2018
Mynd44 Lalasticlala
Re: Stop Blackmailing Me, I Owe No One Any Apology, IGP Idris Tells Senate by Nobody: 7:07am On May 10, 2018
Wtf, you are indirectly tellin me that u are above the Law, anyways ain't suprised, this is Nigeria and anythin cn happen
Re: Stop Blackmailing Me, I Owe No One Any Apology, IGP Idris Tells Senate by Mynd44: 7:09am On May 10, 2018

(1)

Man Tortured By SARS, Asked To Admit Being A Yahoo Boy. / How To Keep Conversation Flowing With Girls (for Boys) / *t Y Danjuma & His So-called Middle Melters.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 17
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.