Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,004 members, 7,835,408 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 09:43 AM

Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade - Education (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade (26092 Views)

Nigerian Private Universities And Their Funny Names / Why Nigerian Universities May Not Resume Early In 2021!! / FG Approves Six New Private Universities (names) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Jman06(m): 6:29pm On May 10, 2018
Alexbond:
I doubt this, I'm of the opinion that with the current state of Nigerian affairs, Public University funding might continue to deteriorate leading to more decay in public universities infrastructure there by leading to more patronage of private universities. Private universities will be the pride of Nigeria higher education in decades to come. That's my take!
You are very wrong bro!
Public universities in Nigeria are really waking up. Come to Uniben and see how new infrastructures are springing up on daily basis. It'll only continue to get better!

I would rather send my children to the US, Canada or UK for their university education than waste money in a Nigerian private university.

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Okoyeebos: 6:29pm On May 10, 2018
oga70563:
OP you need to be enlightened. Your argument is absolutely wrong. Private University are better funded and checkmated than our public Universities coupled with their serene learning environment.

Private Universities nowadays are better off. Do the maths yourself and don't type this rubbish again

Counter his assertions logically and stop typing like a tout.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by ernecy(m): 7:04pm On May 10, 2018
tommyken:
FTC..........you are a bit right,only the best among them will survive before the next decade.its just a case of reputation.
That's the problem with public opinion,they check the superficial first before considering the true standard of a thing.
I school in federal university of Agriculture,makurdi which has a high academic standard with serious lecturers but my friends in unilag, uniport, uniben and unn thinks their school is the best but I just laught at their ignorance.
People judge by appearance and reputation.
no be lie, I hv interacted with some dudes they feel like the world revolves around they schools, and if check they are empty..
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by DonFreshmoney(m): 7:30pm On May 10, 2018
HigherEd:

Do you know that the 4icu and unirank rankings are based on web popularity. However most Nigerians think it is based on quality. So how does an Elizade uni with 500 applicant clicking her website compete with Unilorin with over 100,000 applicants clicking her website? Do u know that all NUC rankings in the past 10 years were all false? Do you know that webometrics is heavily biased against small university e.g uni of Ibadan with 190 faculties produces 1000 research papers covenant with 32 faculties produce 500. Webometrics would rate UI above covenant.

I'm so sorry I didn't capture this Abuja issue. The likes of Baze and Nile would survive very well because they are focused on Luxury based education. The super wealthy would generally go there. As per Covenant, Babcock, Abuad, PAU, AUN, BAZE and Nile they are exempted from this write up. I am really talking(warning) about the likes of Novena, western delta uni, Samuel adegboyega uni, Edwin Clarke uni, pamo, evangel, leadcity, bellstech, tansian, Madonna, coal city uni, ritmon ikot uni, easternpalm, Monash, adetiba, spiritian, crown hill etc grin

Madonna, Igbinedion's enrollment and popularity has reduced drastically over the years. What they initially enjoyed was pioneer status but they failed to keep up and might be completely lost in the next few years.

Oga some of the private school on ur list will still perform for decades, the likes of Madonna, Bellstech and igbinedion are in the status of Apti, CU, RU, Baze, ABUAD, Novena, BU. Those schools are here to stay
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by CowrieKing: 7:33pm On May 10, 2018
Proudlyngwa:
grin

Government should hands off tertiary education.

They can subsidise education, regulate it, licence it,, give grants, loans research funding and whatsoever, but if Nigeria wants to move forward, hands off babysitting universities and level the playing field.
Any nation that implement this idea will have cutters of wood and fetchers of water as it's citizens.
Education anywhere in the world is subsidized and remains one major leveler between the rich and the poor.
If the poor is made to pay it's actual value , they will never arise out of their poverty and the nation will be plagued with backwardness.

ThisisCowrieking

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Proudlyngwa(m): 8:01pm On May 10, 2018
CowrieKing:

Any nation that implement this idea will have cutters of wood and fetchers of water as it's citizens.
Education anywhere in the world is subsidized and remains one major leveler between the rich and the poor.
If the poor is made to pay it's actual value , they will never arise out of their poverty and the nation will be plagued with backwardness.

ThisisCowrieking

Did you not read the part where I put subsidise
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by BethelD1(m): 8:09pm On May 10, 2018
https://www.nairaland.com/jman06
You are very wrong bro!
Public universities in Nigeria are really waking up. Come to Uniben and see how new infrastructures are springing up on daily basis. It'll only continue to get better!

I would rather send my children to the US, Canada or UK for their university education than waste money in a Nigerian private university'

Sending your child to a University abroad(Undergraduate) should be exclusively reserved for children/wards of very very rich nigerians .
A middle class man sending his 18 year old to a forieng university where the parents have no access to him /her for sometimes 2-4 years is psychologically challenging for these kids .

These kids are still growing and they need ongoing support and care , there is really no significant advantage in academic terms over the good private universities in Nigeria .

The mid class Nigerian who sends his kid to a naija private university has definitely improved the child's chances in life and created a very good platform for the child to compete very well with even the richest kid of the land .

A middle class kids schooling abroad is quite vulnerable , they tend to struggle to pay school fees , cant get student loans, might have to work odd jobs /illegal jobs . Many times they behave like kids attending a bad government university in naija . Most times are never visited by their naija parents due to the expenses , infact some of the parents expect the kids to send some money home to help with other siblings!
The very rich guys in foreing unis , they dont need to work and their fees are paid upfront . They are visited by their parents -very significant psychological boost .

The Private unis in naija is a good competition for the poorly run federal/state unis . They are also a very good platform for serious minded mid class families to improve the future of their children .

The fact is that the graduates of these schools are now the preferred workers in many off the top firms in Nigeria and west african sub region .

Personally i thinks its is worth investing 700k yearly on a child's education for 3 years , who is most likely to get a good jobs straight away than pretending that spending 400k for a 4 year course in another university where children are psychologically damaged and educationally made substandard is worth it .

If we stop spending 100k every 3-4 months on unnecessary social functions and divert such funds to good education we will not be arguing about the obvious .

Lastly i think the very top end private universities will survive , definitely the ones jumping into the bandwagon are mostly going to dissapear with time .
Private unis are a good addition to our existing tertiary education system to compete and raise the bar higher and eventually the state institutions will catch up . The long term view is that education will eventually have to be paid for by loans and grant like the other countries .

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by HigherEd: 8:25pm On May 10, 2018
BethelD1:
You are very wrong bro!

I would rather send my children to the US, Canada or UK for their university education than waste money in a Nigerian private university'

Sending your child to a University abroad(Undergraduate) should be exclusively reserved for children/wards of very very rich nigerians .
A middle class man sending his 18 year old to a forieng university where the parents have no access to him /her for sometimes 2-4 years is psychologically challenging for these kids .

These kids are still growing and they need ongoing support and care , there is really no significant advantage in academic terms over the good private universities in Nigeria .

The mid class Nigerian who sends his kid to a naija private university has definitely improved the child's chances in life and created a very good platform for the child to compete very well with even the richest kid of the land .

A middle class kids schooling abroad is quite vulnerable , they tend to struggle to pay school fees , cant get student loans, might have to work odd jobs /illegal jobs . Many times they behave like kids attending a bad government university in naija . Most times are never visited by their naija parents due to the expenses , infact some of the parents expect the kids to send some money home to help with other siblings!
The very rich guys in foreing unis , they dont need to work and their fees are paid upfront . They are visited by their parents -very significant psychological boost .

The Private unis in naija is a good competition for the poorly run federal/state unis . They are also a very good platform for serious minded mid class families to improve the future of their children .

The fact is that the graduates of these schools are now the preferred workers in many off the top firms in Nigeria and west african sub region .

Personally i thinks its is worth investing 700k yearly on a child's education for 3 years , who is most likely to get a good jobs straight away than pretending that spending 400k for a 4 year course in another university where children are psychologically damaged and educationally made substandard is worth it .

If we stop spending 100k every 3-4 months on unnecessary social functions and divert such funds to good education we will not be arguing about the obvious .

Lastly i think the very top end private universities will survive , definitely the ones jumping into the bandwagon are mostly going to dissapear with time .
Private unis are a good addition to our existing tertiary education system to compete and raise the bar higher and eventually the state institutions will catch up . The long term view is that education will eventually have to be paid for by loans and grant like the other countries .
You make so much sense sir.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by SoldierBoy1(m): 8:38pm On May 10, 2018
Well I'm so sure my school Landmark University and its Sister University (Covenant) are exempted.

2 Likes

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by RandyX: 8:45pm On May 10, 2018
All the students from wealthy homes are abroad.

Get yours
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Nobody: 8:46pm On May 10, 2018
Just like every other institution by a Nigeria- putting money first instead of quality. If you see what universities are in other African countries, you will see that Nigerian educational system has a long way to go. Private and public. Number one way to know is to ask how many foreign students are studying in Nigerian universities. The story is different from the African countries I have visited.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Iolo(m): 9:11pm On May 10, 2018
Very good. Healthy competition amongst the universities will breed excellence. Ultimately the custOmer wins with healthy competition. Students in this case are beneficiaries.

I really love the number of jobs this will create and the multiplier effect on the surrounding communities.

Lastly, ASUUs influence on Tertiary universities will be weaned once the balance of student enrollment shifts in favor of private universities. If it ever will sha.
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Jman06(m): 9:34pm On May 10, 2018
BethelD1:
You are very wrong bro!

Our public universities, especially those owned by the federal government are still much better than those private universities we have here. Some of these private universities charge exorbitant fees with little to show for it in terms of quality of their graduates. Enough of this exaggeration of their graduates being preferred by firms and all. I have personally met and interacted with many of them. The worst of them are those studying medicine and pharmacy. As a matter of fact, those guy know next to nothing when you compare them to their colleagues from federal universities. In hospitals, they display clear lack of knowledge of what they claim to have studied.

I maintain that if I can afford 700,000 as tuition in a private university in Nigeria to spend on my child yearly, then I should be able to raise 2-2.5million naira as support for him/her every year in a university in the west. Mind you the 700k I would pay here is just for tuition, I have not talked about the other expenses I would make for his/her upkeep.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by BethelD1(m): 11:11pm On May 10, 2018

Our public universities, especially those owned by the federal government are still much better than those private universities we have here. Some of these private universities charge exorbitant fees with little to show for it in terms of quality of their graduates. Enough of this exaggeration of their graduates being preferred by firms and all. I have personally met and interacted with many of them. The worst of them are those studying medicine and pharmacy. As a matter of fact, those guy know next to nothing when you compare them to their colleagues from federal universities. In hospitals, they display clear lack of knowledge of what they claim to have studied.

The established government universities will definitely have an edge for now in the case of courses like medicine and pharmacy for obvious reasons . The financial outlay of such courses are so vast and right thinking private universities will be reluctant to start such courses for now .
However most courses in the unis are 4year courses and does not involve such outlay as starting a course like medicine and surgery .

I remember then when some people used to say there was no difference between Bsc and HND holders , well now we know better .Good education is good , some of us went to the top Fed universities at the earlier times but unfortunately saw the decline over the years . We have also been privileged to use the foreign university system etc .

I will sincerely advise a mid class family who can only afford 3-4 million /year on university education against sending their children abroad . The cost of tuition alone is about 5 million /year , feeding and other expenses will cost almost another 5 million naira . Most of the universities that Nigerians attend abroad are 2nd and 3rd grade institutions in the foreign lands . If you can afford it , then go to the university abroad whose pedigree will give you global reach , but that is the problem. It damn too expensive unless you are very very rich .

The poorer kids will have to do odd jobs, become isolated etc
I have seen so many inexperienced naija kids getting into drugs , unsocial activities , criminality to survive abroad .
Most worrying is the problems with depression among these kids and drug and alcohol misuse .

Education is not just a child going to a school in abroad or anywhere , it involves continuous parental support etc .

The Nigerian graduate with smaller income can catch up by topping up with a second degree abroad or in any other good functional institution with vision locally .

3 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by CodeTemplar: 1:17am On May 11, 2018
BethelD1:
You are very wrong bro!

The regulation from NUC is what is holding back some schools like covenant, afe babalola and landmark uni etc. at N800k i dont think there are many schools you can send your wards to abroad at that price.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by donqx: 1:36am On May 11, 2018
hmm
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by ogbame007: 1:52am On May 11, 2018
https://steemit.com/stage/@ogaga/how-to-deal-with-stage-fright
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by yusman14(m): 8:39am On May 11, 2018
tommyken:
FTC..........you are a bit right,only the best among them will survive before the next decade.its just a case of reputation.
That's the problem with public opinion,they check the superficial first before considering the true standard of a thing.
I school in federal university of Agriculture,makurdi which has a high academic standard with serious lecturers but my friends in unilag, uniport, uniben and unn thinks their school is the best but I just laught at their ignorance.
..dis skuls ar better dan ur skul...reputation says it all
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by CofOLandOfPeace(m): 9:26am On May 11, 2018
RandyX:
Check our signature in blue here below and you'll be better enlightened. You, can contact us by clicking the WhatsApp Chat link...
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by HigherEd: 1:45pm On May 11, 2018
RandyX:
Majority, not all

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Nobody: 2:01pm On May 11, 2018
HigherEd:

Do you know that the 4icu and unirank rankings are based on web popularity. However most Nigerians think it is based on quality. So how does an Elizade uni with 500 applicant clicking her website compete with Unilorin with over 100,000 applicants clicking her website? Do u know that all NUC rankings in the past 10 years were all false? Do you know that webometrics is heavily biased against small university e.g uni of Ibadan with 190 faculties produces 1000 research papers covenant with 32 faculties produce 500. Webometrics would rate UI above covenant.

I'm so sorry I didn't capture this Abuja issue. The likes of Baze and Nile would survive very well because they are focused on Luxury based education. The super wealthy would generally go there. As per Covenant, Babcock, Abuad, PAU, AUN, BAZE and Nile they are exempted from this write up. I am really talking(warning) about the likes of Novena, western delta uni, Samuel adegboyega uni, Edwin Clarke uni, pamo, evangel, leadcity, bellstech, tansian, Madonna, coal city uni, ritmon ikot uni, easternpalm, Monash, adetiba, spiritian, crown hill etc grin

Madonna, Igbinedion's enrollment and popularity has reduced drastically over the years. What they initially enjoyed was pioneer status but they failed to keep up and might be completely lost in the next few years.

University of Ibadan offers about 90 courses, how on earth would be it have 190 faculties? This exergeration is overboard.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Nobody: 2:08pm On May 11, 2018
DonFreshmoney:

Oga some of the private school on ur list will still perform for decades, the likes of Madonna, Bellstech and igbinedion are in the status of Apti, CU, RU, Baze, ABUAD, Novena, BU. Those schools are here to stay

I think you should do a lot of us the favour of writing the names and not acronyms of these schools. Some of us don't just know what they mean.
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Nobody: 2:22pm On May 11, 2018
tommyken:

You really can't tell the difference until you've been in some of these schools. I was chatting with a post graduate student here in Unilag just yesterday, he acknowledged that he just understood why there could be some special preferences for a Unilag certificate over others. He cited numerous reasons while all I could do was laugh. He obtained his first degree from UNIPORT but he concluded that there is a huge gap of excellence between unilag and UNIPORT and Unilag takes the lead any day.

You should understand that aquring quality education is not all about getting stress by your lecturers, trekking like Israelites from one location to the other within the same campus without a functioning transport system in place or choking up a few available classrooms all in the bid to learn. If any of the aforementioned is a reason you think your school has a high academic standard, you may just have been in darkness all your life, and you need to see the light.
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by DonFreshmoney(m): 2:38pm On May 11, 2018
writerights:

I think you should do a lot of us the favour of writing the names and not acronyms of these schools. Some of us don't just know what they mean.

I meant Redeemers university, Babcock university, covenant university, Baze university, Afe Babalola university Ado ekiti, .. lol
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by MIKOLOWISKA: 5:52pm On May 11, 2018
myboy2111:

It has always been free tuition .

then why are fees increasing
You think we're stupid
Black cat o white cat o
Same noni
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by MIKOLOWISKA: 7:42pm On May 11, 2018
myboy2111:

It has always been free tuition .

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Nobody: 8:37pm On May 11, 2018
tommyken:
The aforementioned universities are living in past glory
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by Deckline(m): 8:53pm On May 11, 2018
Poor mentality everywhere embarassed Nothing can ever make me pick federal over private universities. The difference is clear. Your federal universities are just full of shit now and forever embarassed embarassed especially UI and OAU I weep for OAU more.

1 Like

Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by tishbite41(m): 3:14am On May 12, 2018
writerights:

University of Ibadan offers about 90 courses, how on earth would be it have 190 faculties? This exergeration is overboard.
e tire me, may be na 19 faculties he wan talk
Re: Why Many Nigerian Private Universities May Go Extinct In The Next Decade by CodeTemplar: 10:34am On May 24, 2018
HigherEd:

You make so much sense sir.

Here is a link that reveals UNILAG spends average of N275,000/undergrad/year.

https://m.guardian.ng/features/education/balancing-rhetoric-and-action-in-varsity-funding/

Go to the middle of the article.

And that average is low because there are many cheap department that require almost zero equipments/laboratories/reusables.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Maduka University, Enugu, In Pictures / Apostle Chibuzor Chinyere Renovates School WAEC Wanted To Delist Over Bad State / Peter Seunara Arotiba Emerges Best Candidate In West Africa (WASSCE)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.