Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,662 members, 7,809,503 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:39 AM

I Need Help On What To Plant!!! - Agriculture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / I Need Help On What To Plant!!! (892 Views)

What's The Best Crop To Plant And Have Maximum Output On A 3 Plots Of Land? / How To Plant Hass Avocado Seedlings In Nigeria / How to Plant Plantain Suckers In Dry Season Without Irrigation System 100% Yield (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by oluwakayode25(m): 12:58pm On May 11, 2018
Good day farmers.I need a lot of help deciding what to plant on my farm,I have an acre of land,not quite what I want but its what I can afford for now.The thing is I don't know what to plant,and what to plant is highly dependent on marketing as well.
I intend to plant before June as I need to draw out my plan before then,Nairaland is more than a website,it is a family where people look out for the other,I need to raise money for projects I want to embark on in the years to come.so how do I make the best use of my 1 acre,I have no access to water and will be depending on nature,the same can be said for security.
Please farmers,I need help!!!,Thank you as you contribute!!!�
Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by readyornot: 1:24pm On May 11, 2018
I would suggest that you do a market survey in your area first to know what crops are in high demand & can easily be sold off.
That been said, cassava isn't a demanding crop as opposed to veggies & since you are depending on rain to do your farming, why not give it a trial?

1 Like

Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by oluwakayode25(m): 1:48pm On May 11, 2018
readyornot:
I would suggest that you do a market survey in your area first to know what crops are in high demand & can easily be sold off.
That been said, cassava isn't a demanding crop as opposed to veggies & since you are depending on rain to do your farming, why not give it a trial?

It is not easily what thrives in my area...If I planted veggies such as amaranthus and co on a full acre of land..I won't want to depend on rain and I don't believe there's enough return in that aspect...Vegetable is a thing people plant around ..water leaf and ewedu are weed all over the place..I appreciate your prompt response
Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by readyornot: 3:02pm On May 11, 2018
oluwakayode25:

It is not easily what thrives in my area...If I planted veggies such as amaranthus and co on a full acre of land..I won't want to depend on rain and I don't believe there's enough return in that aspect...Vegetable is a thing people plant around ..water leaf and ewedu are weed all over the place..I appreciate your prompt response
I actually meant giving cassava planting a trial not veggies.
Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by jethro2: 4:23pm On May 11, 2018
readyornot:

Planting cassava on 1 acre will seem to be a complete waste of time, effort and funds knowing the fact that is not going to be done with good agricultural practises
Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by oluwakayode25(m): 4:31pm On May 11, 2018
jethro2:

Planting cassava on 1 acre will seem to be a complete waste of time, effort and funds knowing the fact that is not going to be done with good agricultural practises

Please do more to explain...Good agricultural practises in this sense will be what and what please??,,,and what do you reckon please...I really need to make enough profit off anything I intend to do on that land..that's one of the reasons i am bidding my time..I'd appreciate your detailed explanation please sir!
Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by oluwakayode25(m): 4:32pm On May 11, 2018
readyornot:

Okay..but what do you think of plantain farming?
Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by readyornot: 4:44pm On May 11, 2018
oluwakayode25:

Okay..but what do you think of plantain farming?

Madam Jethro, I throw salute.
Plantain is also good but should be planted solely on your private property/land. Exchanging ideas makes life easier. Like I said before, doing a market survey would give you an idea of commodities in high demand.

1 Like

Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by jethro2: 5:52pm On May 11, 2018
oluwakayode25:

Please do more to explain...Good agricultural practises in this sense will be what and what please??,,,and what do you reckon please...I really need to make enough profit off anything I intend to do on that land..that's one of the reasons i am bidding my time..I'd appreciate your detailed explanation please sir!

Some of the factors that contributes to having better yield in every crop planted are:
1 Soil rich in nutrients
2. Water management in terms of irrigation
3. Soil texture, water holding capacity
4. Good planting medium
5. Proper and timely weed control system
6. Pest and diseases management
7. Good fertilization routine
8. Good soil preparation

We have all read that a farmer can harvest 30_ 40 tonnes from an hectare of cassava

What we did not factor in is the step by step details of what it's involve to achieve such feats

Some countries already achieve 80 tonnes of cassava per hectare but with all good agricultural practises tise factor in place

A farmer can only meet the required yield when every of the above mentioned and more is put in place when and during planting

Also, farm produce price changes all the time.
Except you are processing or you are planting beside the processing factory, transport alone will take up all you have worked for on an hectare

Notice I am using hectare
2.5 acres make up an hectare

Farming require techniques
Its a system that must be learned

1 Like

Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by jethro2: 5:59pm On May 11, 2018
readyornot:

Plantain is also good but should be planted solely on your private property/land. Exchanging ideas makes life easier. Like I said before, doing a market survey would give you an idea of commodities in high demand.

Thank you sir.
You have said it all

Plantain is not as lucrative as our people is making it to be

Every farm produce is seasonal
An intending farmer should take time to learn every aspect involve from market through season, not leaving behind every details

1 Like

Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by oluwakayode25(m): 6:29pm On May 11, 2018
readyornot:

Yes,the farm belongs to me.
Re: I Need Help On What To Plant!!! by oluwakayode25(m): 6:39pm On May 11, 2018
jethro2:

Some of the factors that contributes to having better yield in every crop planted are:
1 Soil rich in nutrients
2. Water management in terms of irrigation
3. Soil texture, water holding capacity
4. Good planting medium
5. Proper and timely weed control system
6. Pest and diseases management
7. Good fertilization routine
8. Good soil preparation

We have all read that a farmer can harvest 30_ 40 tonnes from an hectare of cassava

What we did not factor in is the step by step details of what it's involve to achieve such feats

Some countries already achieve 80 tonnes of cassava per hectare but with all good agricultural practises tise factor in place

A farmer can only meet the required yield when every of the above mentioned and more is put in place when and during planting

Also, farm produce price changes all the time.
Except you are processing or you are planting beside the processing factory, transport alone will take up all you have worked for on an hectare

Notice I am using hectare
2.5 acres make up an hectare

Farming require techniques
Its a system that must be learned

Yes farming requires technique
I have a degree in agricultural extension and rural sociology,however I believe one should not rely on what they know, irrigation isn't even in this picture, if you think garri won't fetch me money,what valuable crop do you reckon

(1) (Reply)

See This Snake With Seven Heads / Shea Nuts Available - Delivery / Join Menorah Farms To Invest In Agriculture

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.