Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,157,521 members, 7,833,717 topics. Date: Monday, 20 May 2024 at 06:58 AM

Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" - Celebrities (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Celebrities / Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" (52510 Views)

Sir Victor Uwaifo Is Dead / Victor Uwaifo Celebrates 80th Birthday Today [Photos] / Simi, Jaywon Remixed ‘joromi’ Without My Permission – Sir Victor Uwaifo (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by pinkyruledworld(m): 9:38pm On May 11, 2018
he can do nada unless he patented the word 'joromi' because the lyrics, tune, sound and song doesnt sound alike. He just dey bluff

2 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Gbengazzee(m): 9:39pm On May 11, 2018
Some posts here are childish. Infringing on someone's intellectual property can result in a serious court case that no right person in his mind would want to get involve.

5 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Jfyzee: 9:42pm On May 11, 2018
Simi should simply give baba is cut and as well snap a pics with him so we all know they're both in good terms..

We all need peace abeg.

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by asawanathegreat(m): 9:44pm On May 11, 2018
The man has not even come to say that Simi has stolen his music oo, where are all these coming from?
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by chukzyfcbb: 9:47pm On May 11, 2018
Gbengazzee:
Some posts here are childish. Infringing on someone's intellectual property can result in a serious court case that no right person in his mind would want to get involve.
How is that intellectual property? Because she used the same word "joromi".

If she has sang a song in similar pattern like tekno did, then that's all shades of wrong.

I remember kris Jenner had to patent the word " momager" so nobody in america can use it, if she didn't do so anybody was free to use it.

its just a frigging word.

He didn't patent the name, so I wonder how that's copyright infringement. Its not like joromi is a brand name, dude just dey find attention

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Gbengazzee(m): 9:48pm On May 11, 2018

The word 'Joromi' came alive as a result of the song by Sir Uwaifo, the same word used by Simi. The two songs also has a rhythemic resemblance that you will think is a remix. Simi should have sought permission for the use of Sir Uwaifo lyrics.

4 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by babadee1(m): 9:49pm On May 11, 2018
dulux07:
so many things wrong in this country, d people always supporting d wrong thing.
Copyright theft is a big issue, even if its just a word u copy without notifying d original owner.

You don't know anything about copyright law. Legally it is impossible to copyright the title of a song or one word in a song, it's not done. So Simi didn't steal anything.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Wealthandjobs: 9:50pm On May 11, 2018
dulux07:
so many things wrong in this country, d people always supporting d wrong thing.
Copyright theft is a big issue, even if its just a word u copy without notifying d original owner.
The songs don't have anything in common apart from joromi!
You don't patent a word and the word alone is intangible.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Nobody: 9:52pm On May 11, 2018
BeemaxWorld:
What a disgrace to Nigeria. Please how many presidents do we hear always leaving their country to another country for medical checkup.

Nigeria president going for checkup in UK is a big shame to the country as a whole. If the Nigerian president is not confident about the health care system in his country, then I wonder about the masses that can't even afford a trip by bus to neighboring countries.

The number one citizen of a country finding better health care outside his country and leaving those he rules to die in the country.

We are coming for all politicians soon. We will end all corrupt lives by all means. It is a greater war than that of the child's play Boko Haram and Fulani herdsmen are doing but we know we will be fighting a greater course.

All level of government will be wiped out and the humble shall rule.

We are getting ready to what has never been seen before in Nigeria. No Level for any useless cabal from the presidency.

This is just a brief information for what is expected.

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by mistercharles: 9:52pm On May 11, 2018
This man na mumu abeg!
The only thing Simi copied was the song tittle which i believe is allowed jare!
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Baroba(m): 9:53pm On May 11, 2018
swiz123:
All to gain relevance... SMH

Well simi should just give him 10k, just like tekno did for danfo drivers.

If I were you I wouldn't disrespect Victor Uwaifo, it's kind of sad they don't teach history in Nigeria..You might not agree with him, but please do not insult one of the true legends of African music..

Victor Uwaifo does not need any relevance.

7 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by meobizy(f): 9:55pm On May 11, 2018
I guess somebody also wants a picture and handshake after the stunt Danfo Drivers pulled with Tekno.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Born2Breed(f): 9:59pm On May 11, 2018
swiz123:

You think Victor Uwaifo is a pauper? Find out more about him.

6 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by somehow: 10:06pm On May 11, 2018
Can you kids shut up if you dont know who sir victor uwaifor is?

A professor and a knight of England.

Legend of African music.

Kids should shut up. Its not everything you see online you must comment on.

Lazy and ignorant youths everywhere.

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by kenex4ever(m): 10:06pm On May 11, 2018
Some set of people were insulting tecno for exactly thesame issue the other day, now d table has turned and dey are all sounding in a different tone.

Double standard!!!

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by joey150(m): 10:06pm On May 11, 2018
BeemaxWorld:
What a disgrace to Nigeria. Please how many presidents do we hear always leaving their country to another country for medical checkup.

Nigeria president going for checkup in UK is a big shame to the country as a whole. If the Nigerian president is not confident about the health care system in his country, then I wonder about the masses that can't even afford a trip by bus to neighboring countries.

The number one citizen of a country finding better health care outside his country and leaving those he rules to die in the country.

We are coming for all politicians soon. We will end all corrupt lives by all means. It is a greater war than that of the child's play Boko Haram and Fulani herdsmen are doing but we know we will be fighting a greater course.

All level of government will be wiped out and the humble shall rule.

We are getting ready to what has never been seen before in Nigeria. No Level for any useless cabal from the presidency.

This is just a brief information for what is expected.

You better be serious!
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by LeoThaGreat(m): 10:07pm On May 11, 2018
If this happened in the US or Western Europe, baba for don dey ball right now. I just hope this lack of proper system ends so people start earning real royalties for their hard work

Kindly visit the link below to listen to the outcome of my hard work

2 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by somehow: 10:07pm On May 11, 2018
meobizy:
I guess somebody also wants a picture and handshake after the stunt Danfo Drivers pulled with Tekno.

A 10 year old boy spotted.
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Nobody: 10:08pm On May 11, 2018
FSolar:
Baba wants to take pisshur too?
Stùpid and senseless Nigerian youth.

4 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Dopeluiz(m): 10:08pm On May 11, 2018
[quote author=Whizdorm001 post=67480056]Baba respect yourself oooh[/fqquote]simi stole his song... using somebody else's song title can also be intellectual theft... especially if the former song was very popular... if I do a song now and title it 'yahooze' it is theft... I don't have to steal the owner's beat or idea... using an artists name to title ur song is also theft... there is a legal side to music. It's not Simi nor Tekno's fault. That's why they have management
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by elshanAutos: 10:09pm On May 11, 2018
There goes most Nigerians in the comments! With no knowledge about copyright laws, infringement & plagiarism.

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by enemyofprogress: 10:09pm On May 11, 2018
Baba go Sidon,your time don pass
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Mujtahida: 10:11pm On May 11, 2018
bestspoke:
Jokers .... You better get someone to educate you about what qualifies an intellectual property and stop fooling around.No patent nothing.

What should KSA now say to the no of artists that have remodelled his songs
you talk as if you know yet you spill thrash. IP is any work of the human mind. its divided into three sub categories: copyrights, patent and designs and then trademarks.

as far as copyrights is concerned(in respect of which Sir Victor Uwaifo is laying claim) he needs no patent. he is not claiming under patents and designs where your patent must be registered at the patent and designs office under the minsitary of labour and productivity. as far as musical works and other copyrighted works are concerned registration is not a sine qua non to stake a claim for infringement and damages. while registration is good it is not absolutely necessary. even without registration (though one is advised to register nevertheless) all a person needs to do to succeed to claim that his work has been infringed is to proof that indeed that work (song in this instance) is his work. and please tell me who doesnt know 'Joromi' is Uwaifo's Signature work? let him take the case to court and see if Simi will not sweat and cough out all that she has earned from infringing on Uwaaifo's right.

as an aside: i recently discovered that contemporary nigerian musicians are really not that creative. they are taking advantage of two things: the internet and the ignorance of nigerians as regards our musical heritage. go listen to highlife tunes of the 50's through to the 80's and you'd discover that contemporary niaja musicians just listen to this songs on the internet, alter a few things and release it to loud acclaim from indomie generation peeps who are unaware that these are old songs or old tunes. i was listening to old american jazz and i was just shaking my head- tiwa savage sure knows how to roll. listen Harry Belafonte's 'Jamaican Farewell' and you will see where Tuface probably got the tune of one of his songs.

5 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by anonymoux: 10:12pm On May 11, 2018
pinkyruledworld:
he can do nada unless he patented the word 'joromi' because the lyrics, tune, sound and song doesnt sound alike. He just dey bluff

Actually you only patent a process/design, and copyright/trademark everything else but an idea.

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Mujtahida: 10:14pm On May 11, 2018
elshanAutos:
There goes most Nigerians in the comments! With no knowledge about copyright laws, infringement & plagiarism.
dont mind them. the world is even beyond traditional copyrights and moving into the domain of image rights as a result of the internet yet read the balderdash being spewed by most commenters here.

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by martineverest(m): 10:14pm On May 11, 2018
Donald7610:
The word joromi is not enough to claim infringement
You don't have to bring ppl down to be relevant
Respect yourself sir
smh for our youths

3 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Rexnegro(m): 10:15pm On May 11, 2018
Whizdorm001:
Baba respect yourself oooh
u are one of the problem of this world

1 Like

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by elshanAutos: 10:17pm On May 11, 2018
Mujtahida:

dont mind them. the world is even beyond traditional copyrights and moving into the domain of image rights as a result of the internet yet read the balderdash being spewed by most commenters here.
Many of them are here on nairaland, in the form of bloggers! They steal people’s work, with impunity, and make no effort to even give credit or source. Sad..

2 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by rabzy: 10:17pm On May 11, 2018
If sir victor uwaifo said so, that would be so wrong. The song style, lyrics etc is too significantly different to be an infringement. I love both songs exceedingly.
Moreso, joromi is a name borne by people, you can't patent it and the story of joromi is a folktale, it is not owned by the Sir, it is an Edo folktale brought to the international by his song.
Respect to him but not tenable.

2 Likes

Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Ken4agent(m): 10:18pm On May 11, 2018
We are AgroConsultant ....we can finish you with all the intellectual property you need to make cash out of that your idle land.....view our signature
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by hypnotic(m): 10:18pm On May 11, 2018
this man wants to use Marvin Gaye's style
Re: Sir Victor Uwaifo: "Simi Is In Trouble For Stealing From Me" by Cyrealmusic(m): 10:18pm On May 11, 2018
swiz123:

Its clear you know nothing about copyright.
Simi should be in jail, she is a thief

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Bankulli To D'banj: “You Do Drugs, You Have Done So Much Evil To Many” / Davido And Chioma Reconcile As They Were Spotted Together In The Club (Video) / Nengi Makes Nollywood Debut In 'Rattle Snake' Remake

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.