Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,799 members, 7,810,078 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:13 PM

Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria - Career (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Career / Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria (82220 Views)

Federal University Lafia is Paying Half Salary for January 2016!!! / What Is The Average Salary Of A Nigerian Soldier? / Average Salary And Bonuses Of Investment Bankers In Nigeria. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by ojesus: 8:56am On Jun 02, 2010
@solomonjay, less I 4get u can substitute any word u like 4 "wretched" since u dnt want ppl 2 understand ur condition
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by solomonjay(m): 8:04pm On Jun 02, 2010
I BEG GOD TAKE YOU, never knew u were a low minded retarded senior(thats if u re actually a lawyer) u have confirmed my fear,, u dont av a laptop.it took u all weekend plus public holiday to muster a reply and what did u say?

ojesus:

@solomonjay_pervert am sorry I dnt knw it wud hit u so hard. u aint wretched bt poverty-stricken. I think is approprate

well,that was the most stupid talk that had ever come out of a retard.apparently,u dont even speak like a lawyer, u speak quite crude and foolishly, i say to u RAKA (meaning, u fool)go and get some more education maybe then the tenses u so much tried to make wud improve.U SIMPLY MADE ONE SENTENCE AND AS SIMPLE AS IT WERE,U STILL IN YOUR BLUNDERING SPREE, CHECK YOUR SENTENCES, OLODO CHARGE AND BAIL SENIOR, WHAT PART OF THE WORLD RE U FROM?REPLY ON POINTS OF LAW,
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by BabaRamo(m): 8:29pm On Jun 02, 2010
Thank you Otokx. I was about to ask if anyone remembers the law of demand and supply
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by jobberman: 12:43pm On Jun 03, 2010
men,this is shocking.may GOD help us
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by solomonjay(m): 1:17pm On Jun 03, 2010
the higher the supply,the lesser the demand i guess, and i belive thats wats wrong wit the picture here in nigeria.too many lawyers are churned out yearly from all campuses in nigerian university and law school at approximately 4000 yearly.why wont some ignorant persons not take advantage of them by paying them litle for apprentiship.like the fool that posted this,
ojesus:

u guys aren't serious. wot do u expect? u expect your employers to make u rich.

1 Like

Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by ojesus: 3:08pm On Jun 03, 2010
open ur heart & express ur love all ur suffering & self-sabotaging behaviour are d result of ur upbringing. it's up 2 u!
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by solomonjay(m): 5:04pm On Jun 03, 2010
try and make sense old man, my up bringing?well let me give u an insight into my background so u cud infer my upbringing.im d last child from a family of 8 ie. father mother and children.our first is a lady,married to a telecoms guru,TELEDENSITY NIG LTD,works with a govt parastatal as a level 14 officer with 3 lovely children,the 2nd a guy,works with the govt also as a level 9 officer.the 3rd born is a guy,a major with the nigerian army,the fourth a lady with a private firm,the 5th a guy,also with a private firm then me,a lawyer.also my dad is a lawyer,my mum a seasoned teacher and a master degree holder like you---no like her.note here that from my dad down to me,we are all graduates,with 4 master degree holders including my humble self.so what up bringing are u talking about?pls throw more light on ur own family background.WITNESS IS REMINDED THAT HE IS UNDER OATH.

1 Like

Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by solomonjay(m): 5:09pm On Jun 03, 2010
i almost forgot,my dad is a director with the federal min of police affairs, see,im comfortable enuf even without the lawyer thing u re carrying and blurting over.wake up to the cry of ur ignorant mind dear lay man.this shud be the cresendo of the long dispute btw ur body,soul and spirit, u re no lawyer,u know no law,are a retard and ought to be jailed for contempt on nairaland soil.i rest my case.and i adopt all averments made in this thread.ouch, did that hurt again?
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 10:27pm On Jun 03, 2010
obiflex:

Thank you solomonjay, megastu like some senior lawyers is bringing the legal profession & d law sch to disrepute by insinuating that some lawyers are incapable of discharging their duties as lawyers after having been duly certified by the law sch. As for ojesus, he needs to go back to sch. His connections have given him easy money but Obviously, money cannot buy knowledge.

It seems both obiflex and solomonjay are some retarded fools.

Obiflex, a lawyer is bringing the profession into disrepute by stating a fact (if from his experience, it is)?

Are you sure you are not disturbed mentally?
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by solomonjay(m): 10:52pm On Jun 03, 2010
sagamite, i belive u usually take a bath before u enter ur day, firstly,try and discover the crux of the arguement,then u make ur own contribution before u can have that glorious priviledge of replyin, let alone insulting a human for all its worth, i guess only altruistic persons make such stumbling into comments like u just did.well,i see that iron sharpens iron, but in ur case,u feel pity for ur kind,and embelish ur half bred tots online.wat is the fact in some fool making a sweeping generalization?only fools fall in love with the artwork of fools.i guess i have grudges with u seniors,and the only way i cud express my tots is to bite bitter back at u guys.im petrified,mortified and stupified by ur (megastu,segamite and ojesus) dumbness and lack of proper decorum by virtue of the fact that u only imply to state facts and u dont have appropriate statistics.guess what,i have a deal for u guys, i guess if u re lawyers,u can call me, 08055418024, a client from france wants a ppty he cud acquire within maitama or asokoro.esp maitama.i put 2 agencies on it,and no result.cash is ready upon acertaining the price of the specification.3000m2 to 4000m2 urgent pls.no prank calls.lets c if u cud make up for ur sins.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 10:55pm On Jun 03, 2010
solomonjay:

sagamite, i belive u usually take a bath before u enter your day, firstly,try and discover the crux of the arguement,then u make your own contribution before u can have that glorious priviledge of replyin, let alone insulting a human for all its worth, i guess only altruistic persons make such stumbling into comments like u just did.well,i see that iron sharpens iron, but in your case,u feel pity for your kind,and embelish your half bred tots online.wat is the fact in some fool making a sweeping generalization?only fools fall in love with the artwork of fools.i guess i have grudges with u seniors,and the only way i cud express my tots is to bite bitter back at u guys.im petrified,mortified and stupified by your (megastu,segamite and ojesus) dumbness and lack of proper decorum by virtue of the fact that u only imply to state facts and u dont have appropriate statistics.guess what,i have a deal for u guys, i guess if u re lawyers,u can call me, 08055418024, a client from france wants a ppty he cud acquire within maitama or asokoro.esp maitama.i put 2 agencies on it,and no result.cash is ready upon acertaining the price of the specification.3000m2 to 4000m2 urgent pls.no prank calls.lets c if u cud make up for your sins.

You surely are mentally disturbed.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by solomonjay(m): 11:03pm On Jun 03, 2010
just saw ur pic, the guy with a shiney brain?well guess res ipsa loquitor, u re mentally disturbed dear poster megastu

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by solomonjay(m): 11:06pm On Jun 03, 2010
then imagine ur signature, u insult, LAWYER?so stupid and careless talk, guess u aint a lawyer afterall, white black boy.when was ur year of call?
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Sagamite(m): 11:09pm On Jun 03, 2010
solomonjay:

then imagine your signature, u insult, LAWYER?so silly and careless talk, guess u aint a lawyer afterall, white black boy.when was your year of call?

You really are an utter, unbalanced slowpoke. grin

Tell me where you saw me say I was a lawyer, foool.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by volasunkan: 1:03am On Jun 06, 2010
DOCTORS SUFFEER THE SAME TOO!The only profession I know u ve a guaranteed pay and prospect is pharmacy.Even the fake drug merchants need em!
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by olaolabiy: 2:12am On Jun 09, 2010
If comments I have read on this thread reflect the level of written English of lawyers in Nigeria, then, Nigeria has got a BIG problem.

The so-called lawyers on this thread couldn't express themselves in proper English - comments riddled with grammatical/spelling errors.

Lawyers? grin grin grin grin grin grin

1 Like

Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Aproko(f): 11:22am On Jun 10, 2010
^^^^^^^ sometimes people dont have the patience to edit. grin grin

@ sagamite et all,

there's no need to take things too far. its true the poster asked for the average, but its up to him to find the average from the various comments. its true some law firms pay as good, but those law firms are really few and not all over the country and very difficult to get into.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by megastu(m): 4:35am On Jun 22, 2010
lets end this discussion. Goodluck to us all, gentlemen at the bar. I am happy to have, at least, helped two lawyers to get very good jobs, this year.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by innogrand: 10:04pm On Nov 22, 2010
my god! i think some of us will never ever look for gburu in nairaland. i was expecting an average of 750k/month for juniors up to 5years.

actually, keeping the wages low may provide an opportunity to outsource from eu. the problem however, is this nepa thing among other wahalas, they  do not encourage me to come back home. to add salt to injury lawyers are so ridiculed with such wage structure. may god save us. but if someone is to be blamed, the northerners that have ruling the country for most of the time will be the favourite - no offences meant, just stating the facts.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by oddy4real(m): 5:42am On Nov 12, 2013
Hmmmmn
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Ubah2014: 3:05pm On Aug 17, 2014
My advice for newly qualified lawyers or solicitors in Lagos. You dont have to wait for your principal to pay you. All you need is to learn from the way they do the job. Go to court with your principal for contentious matters if you are into litigation. There is always something to learn and add to your skills. However, you need to survice so I will advice you to do most of the police station matters. You must not quarrel with them otherwise you will not get jobs. You will be surprised the police will recommend cliets to you. You can survive at the magistrate courts especially Apapa in lagos. A lot of clients do not have lawyers. A lot of Nigerians do not know their rights. You will be in money before you know it. Please stop complaints and work hard. Thank you. J UBAH.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Ozzugwor(m): 9:38pm On Aug 18, 2014
Well, is stamped fact that lawyers re nt well renumerated. But we should all no dat law is nt an exception. Is also detailed in other professions except a few. I am a lawyer, I started by having the prima facie mindset that no body will pay me.. My first place of work was in an SAN 's office. He paid me 30k but still I ventured into making contacts via friends,landlords, traders etc. I got a lots of properties to manage, cases started coming in even as a corper, I bought my first car as a corper.. But mind u dat my success shouldered on handwork.if even u re receiving small amount, they ought to give u appearance fees for any case u handled. Then I remembered that my appearance fee sum up to 20k every week after fueling my car even more than dat esp when I hve to go to courts outside juridiction.. So, in summary.. The earnings of a lawyer is unpredictable.drafting, going to police stations , being as arbitator can earn u a million in a month. JUST dn't GIVE UP.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by AsvpTony(m): 7:11am On Oct 13, 2014
passionup:

@megastu Hello guy,I just want to know if you are the same person i guess i know.Were u in abuja law school in 2004 and ur first name starts with 'M' and ends with' A ' U also did ur masters in the Netherlands?if yes, let me know cos what u highlighted about lawyers pay is really true.Pple outside the legal profession might actually not understand you and the fact that u stated what truthfully happens in the system.Pple are just so eager to comment here hence the venom poured in one of the replies to your comment.
The wages of a lawyer is tied to the number of years in practice and your level of networking.I have a colleague that hasnt been under anyone since coming out of Law School and he is comfortable.He started practice from day one on his own.It may be tough but you will get thru.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Nobody: 6:33pm On Dec 22, 2015
the thing is d senior lawyers do not pave way for the junior lawyers.. mst of dem are soo greedy dts y dey pay peanut for cases dt fetch dem enoff.. im a lawyer too buh nt into litigation.i work for d government,its not like d pay is super fantastic buh its easier to climb d ladder wen u in govt like been a chief registrar,head of probate,magistrate and judge.. u cn onli climb d ladder dt fast wen u re in house..
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by tobiolajutemo: 9:59pm On Dec 22, 2015
obiflex:
I was admitted to the bar in 2007. My 1st salary was N20k. Since then i have traversed 8 law firms in lagos. @ my peak i earned 40k. Law practice is full of oppression & exploitation. If i begin to chronicle my oddyssey i will not finish by next yr. We the youth have done our best 4 this country however, the elders r hell-bent on ruining it. Nigeria will never grow
don't conclude yet ...I believe Nigeria wil stil grow buh we nid to join hands and make it work
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Nobody: 10:16am On Jan 09, 2016
RICHIEBOI1:
my junior brother is a lawyer in abuja and his being payed as little as 10k monthly. how he copes in that town only god knows, quiet a depressing job here in naija i must say. embarassed

Well most of them survive by having their own personal briefs. It's about knowing people and having good clients. Bosses are wicked not to pay because they feel u could always get ur own personal briefs. They also calculate all the daily transport and appearance fees they are giving u to Make up ur salary. What a selfish way to treat young lawyers. Some seniors give u 1k-2k when u go to court. Others give 1k weda u go to court or not. Then at the end of the month, they now give their wretched 10,15, 20, 25-40k depending on the firm. Most firms that give full transport don't give any allowance at the end of the Month. So u see, its survival of the fittest
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by mezeadichie: 2:34am On Jun 02, 2017
3. Court fixes June 5 for oil firms suit

At the last adjourned date, counsel to Brittania-U Nigeria, Mr. Abiodun Owonikoko (SAN), told the court about a pending application seeking to dismiss the appellants appeal for want of diligent prosecution because of failure to transmit record or file appellants’ brief.

An Appeal Court in Lagos has fixed hearing in an appeal brought by Chevron USA Inc. and others against Brittania-U Nigeria Limited for June 5, 2017.Chevron, in the appeal filed two and half years ago, is challenging the judgment of a Federal High Court, Lagos, which assumed jurisdiction to entertain a suit on the divestment of Chevron’s interest in Oil Mining Licenses 52, 53 and 55.

The appellate court fixed June 5, 2017 after the submissions of lawyers representing both parties in the suit.Other appellants in the suit are BNP Paribas Securities Corp., Mr Hermant Patel and Seplat Petroleum Development Company Limited.

At the last adjourned date, counsel to Brittania-U Nigeria, Mr. Abiodun Owonikoko (SAN), told the court about a pending application seeking to dismiss the appellants appeal for want of diligent prosecution because of failure to transmit record or file appellants’ brief.

He said the appellants filed a motion for extension of time to compile and transmit records of appeal.Owonikoko said his client had filed an application to dismiss the appeal because of the appellants’ delay in prosecuting the appeal. http://www.sskohn.com/practice-areas/dispute/

The court awarded N20,000 cost to Brittania-U after Owonikoko withdrew the motion to dismiss the appeal after the appellants counsel said the record of appeal had been compiled and transmitted.

Brittania-U sued the defendants (appellants) over the Oil Mining Leases numbered 52, 53 and 55, sold by Chevron.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by killfear(m): 9:16am On Jan 01, 2018
Ii
solomonjay:
talk like u dont know, in abuja,its terrible.i was attached to one, he paid nothing.even though i within one omth of working there, helped secure three jobs that paid out N150k - N300k, he gave me 10% of the first N150.i never intended to start practice upon penury,so i ditched the firm,its all in the books.i go to other seniors as friends and associates now,and im really learning on my own.if the job wud pay,there is a readily available senior who wud put u tru for a fee.so what the heck, i can negotiate,go to court,read,research and do virtually all what is in the precedent books and as laid down by the gurus in the legal profession.so i got myself a law firm,a secretary and two juniors and im 3 years into practice.lol
I'll like to establish contact with you.I am based in abuja,just called to the bar.I need to discuss some things with you and get guidance.Thank you.
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Fiisayo99: 2:03pm On Apr 04, 2019
Big thank you to all the members of the most noble profession for making this thread a success.
I am a 19 year old law aspirant, and i know that no matter the situation i would make millions from law and i would still make great impact in the world. There's no limitation, only the one you place on your self.

1 Like

Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Ndipe(m): 9:17pm On Sep 20, 2019
How do Lawyers survive then with this poor pay?
Re: Average Salary For A Lawyer In A Law Firm In Nigeria by Asquare84(m): 1:45pm On Sep 21, 2019
I will advice lawyers to go into farming to earn more income. I am not a lawyer by my little advice

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Salary Structures In Nigeria And Their Full Meanings / See How This Port Harcourt Based Lady Is Making Her Money(pics) / Free Materials For CISSP, CISA, CISM, GIAC, BCP, DRP, and CBCP Exams?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.