Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,513 members, 7,816,243 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 08:09 AM

Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension (17969 Views)

7 Very Important Key Facts About Hypertension Everyone Needs To Know. / All You Need To Know About Hypertension: The Silent Killer / Much Ado About Hypertension During Pregnancy (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by Meel: 4:13pm On May 14, 2018
..High B.p is also called arterial Blood pressure, normal is 120mmhg/80mmhg

High b.p is 140 mmhg upward, causes can be hypernatremia( too much salt in body), tachycardia, emotional, Atherosclerosis.

Eating well and exercising will go a long way in averting it.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by MEDICPATH(m): 4:30pm On May 14, 2018
Katier00:
Nice one. Is 120\80 normal for even elderly people? A doctor once told me that 140 is normal for people above 50

140 is considered normal in some quaters,At medicpath we use 130 threshold.However,In people aged over 50 years high systolic blood pressure (above 140 mm Hg) is considered a greater risk factor for cardiovascular disease than high diastolic blood pressure.

We always advise good exercise and reduce sodium intake while changing diet to more of fruits and vegetables, potassium, and calcium.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by Quality20(m): 4:51pm On May 14, 2018
donation of blood can go a long way to prevent n even treat hypertension.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by Dacronym(m): 4:57pm On May 14, 2018
Download heart rate monitor app on your phone
If you use any of the latest Samsung Galaxies it comes with them
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by Katier00(f): 5:15pm On May 14, 2018
MEDICPATH:

140 is considered normal in some quaters,At medicpath we use 130 threshold.However,In people aged over 50 years high systolic blood pressure (above 140 mm Hg) is considered a greater risk factor for cardiovascular disease than high diastolic blood pressure.

We always advise good exercise and reduce sodium intake while changing diet to more of fruits and vegetables, potassium, and calcium.
thanks, my mum bp is always 150/70 for the past 5 years. She is very strong and hardly complain of headache or dizziness. Is there any cause for concern? She is 65
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by MEDICPATH(m): 5:45pm On May 14, 2018
Katier00:
thanks, my mum bp is always 150/70 for the past 5 years. She is very strong and hardly complain of headache or dizziness. Is there any cause for concern? She is 65

Has she been on anti-hypertensive drugs?
Most older people develop progressive stiffening of their arterial tree as they age, which leads to a continuous elevation in systolic blood pressure. With the diastolic blood pressure remaining normal or decreasing with age, elderly people develop a widening of their pulse pressure (the difference between the systolic and the diastolic blood pressure). The elevation in systolic pressure increases left ventricular work and the risk of left ventricular hypertrophy, whereas the decrease in diastolic blood pressure may compromise coronary blood flow...You can see a doctor for more clarification thanks
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by Katier00(f): 5:56pm On May 14, 2018
MEDICPATH:

Has she been on anti-hypertensive drugs?
Most older people develop progressive stiffening of their arterial tree as they age, which leads to a continuous elevation in systolic blood pressure. With the diastolic blood pressure remaining normal or decreasing with age, elderly people develop a widening of their pulse pressure (the difference between the systolic and the diastolic blood pressure). The elevation in systolic pressure increases left ventricular work and the risk of left ventricular hypertrophy, whereas the decrease in diastolic blood pressure may compromise coronary blood flow...You can see a doctor for more clarification thanks
she takes anti hypertensive drugs once in a while. Will surely see a doctor, apart from rheumatism, so doesn't have any health issue
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by piagetskinner(m): 6:50pm On May 14, 2018
the problems in Nigeria is just too much....it is well oooo
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by atilexy: 7:41pm On May 14, 2018
You can also reduce the risks of hypertension by not watching ARSENAL & LIVERPOOL play football matches

1 Like

Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by charlsecy(m): 8:25pm On May 14, 2018
MEDICPATH:
...guidelines define hypertension as a blood pressure higher than 130 over 80 millimeters of mercury (mmHg)...
Misleading definition. You didn't include the important fact the increase has to be reasonably sustained over a certain period of time before it could be diagnosed as HBP.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by live4ever: 9:38pm On May 14, 2018
Anyone with increased BP should just blend garlic and ginger with acv and honey. mix all together and take two table spoon in hot water as tea twice daily.

you can Google for more details.

check your BP again after three days.

Thank me later.

1 Like

Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by authority2006(m): 11:08pm On May 14, 2018
Katier00:
Nice one. Is 120\80 normal for even elderly people? A doctor once told me that 140 is normal for people above 50

Yeah, you're right. And I saw a doctor who said that 115/75 is the best.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by authority2006(m): 11:12pm On May 14, 2018
Meel:
..High B.p is also called arterial Blood pressure, normal is 120mmhg/80mmhg

High b.p is 140 mmhg upward, causes can be hypernatremia( too much salt in body), tachycardia, emotional, Atherosclerosis.

Eating well and exercising will go a long way in averting it.

Mehn, I need regular exercise.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by davidgrace: 11:14pm On May 14, 2018
Thanks a lot for this post ,I got this instrument on the pics for my mum,can you tell me how to use it so I can always check the BP for her.thanks
MEDICPATH:
Treatment

Regular health checks are the best way to monitor your blood pressure.

Regular health checks are the best way to monitor your blood pressure.You can visit Medicpath clinical laboratories ltd for your FREE BP check

While blood pressure is best regulated through the diet before it reaches the stage of hypertension, there is a range of treatment options.

Lifestyle adjustments are the standard first-line treatment for hypertension.

Regular physical exercise

Doctors recommend that patients with hypertension engage in 30 minutes of moderate-intensity, dynamic, aerobic exercise. This can include walking, jogging, cycling, or swimming on 5 to 7 days of the week.

Stress reduction

Avoiding stress, or developing strategies for managing unavoidable stress, can help with blood pressure control.

Using alcohol, drugs, smoking, and unhealthy eating to cope with stress will add to hypertensive problems. These should be avoided.

Smoking can raise blood pressure. Giving up smoking reduces the risk of hypertension, heart conditions, and other health issues.

Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by chukzyfcbb: 11:20pm On May 14, 2018
live4ever:

Anyone with increased BP should just blend garlic and ginger with acv and honey. mix all together and take two table spoon in hot water as tea twice daily.

you can Google for more details.

check your BP again after three days.

Thank me later.
Na story you dey talk.

My p man do all that, even dey chop raw bitter leaf, dey exercise, dey do regular checkup, dey avoid red meats, yet I'm still kpai for foreign land.

I mentioned foreign land, so u no go quickly interject say na Naija hospital no do well.
Dem Yankee docs couldn't do shii when he dropped.

I will say the key thing is to be Stress Free!

Stress is No1 killer and cause, most patients who are aware take on active lifestyle but stress and worry for the better life can hamper all efforts to healthy living.

Remember the life expectancy age in 9ja is short bout 51/52.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by salesforce: 2:00am On May 15, 2018
ok
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by MEDICPATH(m): 11:45am On May 16, 2018
davidgrace:
Thanks a lot for this post ,I got this instrument on the pics for my mum,can you tell me how to use it so I can always check the BP for her.thanks

You need a little more expertise to use a manual sphyg. An electronic sphyg is a whole lot easier to use.
For the manual sphyg you will also need a stethoscope which you will use to listen for the beats...i will advise you take it to a practitioner near you to help you out.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by MEDICPATH(m): 11:47am On May 16, 2018
charlsecy:
Misleading definition. You didn't include the important fact the increase has to be reasonably sustained over a certain period of time before it could be diagnosed as HBP.

I only defined it the way they presented it bro...No Dr will diagnose a patient as hypertensive from one reading.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by charlsecy(m): 8:49pm On May 16, 2018
@MEDICPATH,
Their definition isn't well-rounded enough then.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by DateMynd44(m): 1:28am On May 31, 2018
Yewandequeen:
Deadly disease

You will see some today so vibrant and all but the next thing you hear tomorrow is he slumped and died all thanks to high blood pressure. Mtcheeeeeww . angry cry
i don't know I was discussing with my sister today and all of a sudden my heart pumped faster and before I could say jack, I found myself on the floor as I lost conciousness and before I realised my clothes were all dirty and my body full of sand.
I'm just worried I don't know if this has to do with blood pressure or hypertension.
Re: Everything You Need To Know About Hypertension by Yewandequeen(f): 6:48am On May 31, 2018
DateMynd44:
i don't know I was discussing with my sister today and all of a sudden my heart pumped faster and before I could say jack, I found myself on the floor as I lost conciousness and before I realised my clothes were all dirty and my body full of sand.
I'm just worried I don't know if this has to do with blood pressure or hypertension.
will advise you see you doc. Better be safe than sorry

(1) (2) (Reply)

Transformation Of Enugu State University (ESUT) Teaching Hospital (video) / Protect Yourself Against Lassa Fever / How To Stop Bleeding Gum

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.