Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,110 members, 7,825,504 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 04:26 PM

Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest (9032 Views)

I’m Not A Military President, No One Will Be Jailed Unless Guilty – Buhari / Jonathan The Worst Ever President In The World. / REALITY: Until An Ijebu Man Becomes Nigeria President, No... - AWO (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by yemmight(m): 8:51am On May 25, 2010
People still see good thing in this evil spirit. He ruled for 8 years as a civilian presi without achieving anything. He spent 16 billion dollars on Power and yet, no power. He increased pump prices more 6 times during his reign. He told nigerians that if we can afford to buy a bottle of ragolis N50 why cant we afford a littre for that amount. He capped it all by sleeping with his daughter-in-law in the name of contract.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Tinax(f): 8:57am On May 25, 2010
True talk @stagleyo.;-D
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by TheOne2(m): 9:01am On May 25, 2010
Most people that say OBJ is the worst ever do not live in Nigeria. If you lived in Nigeria through the 90s into the 2000s then you will understand that OBJ was good for us. When I was in secondary school to my early university years in the 90s, it was almost unheard of for a graduate to get a job upon graduation. It almost became a curse to go to school then. But hen came OBJ with his policies and nearly evey sector was recruiting massively. More class in the university has more than 20 practicing engineers working in major IOCs in Nigeria who were recruited during OBJ years. I don't care about politics and whatever he did in the political arena. What concerns me more is jobs because it puts food on the table. Most graduates worth their certificates were employed in that period even if it meant working as a teller in the banks.

Since Yar'Adua became president, my company has not recruited a single engineer because they just stifled the whole industry with their policies while revrsing and re-reversing things. Can anybody in Nigeria compare today with say 2005 when it comes to jobs? Let's not be blinded by personal hatred for the man. For me personally, he was very good because the only future I saw for myself as a university student was to be an economic refugee in the west but because of the climate during the OBJ years, many like me are making a good living here in Nigeria.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by otukpo(f): 9:04am On May 25, 2010
Civilian president? I disagree.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Nobody: 9:13am On May 25, 2010
otukpo:

Civilian president? I disagree.
we havent had the best of civilian president either.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Nobody: 9:18am On May 25, 2010
OBJ had the best opportunity to move this country forward.
Instead he dragged it back by decades.
Forget about the GSM thing.If we go by the indices of growth during his tenure,the brother set us back big-time.
Like Dayokanu says,he has nothing tangible to boast of.
If in a democratic era,genocide-style incidents like Zaki-Biam/Odi happened,and there is nobody to hold accountable,I guess there is no point in arguing in his favour.
If after 8 years of OBJ,there is no form of stable electricity (which is a key requirement for development),there are more bad roads than when he took over,there is more insecurity in the Niger Delta and the general populace,there is more unemployment,there is a band of political thugs called PDP,I don't see what the noise is about his achievements.
Against the backdrop of the record oil prices during his tenure,the dude has really nothing to show for if all he did was to put an ailing Yar'Adua as his successor.All we are left with is the corruption of his era.Dudes like Odili,Anenih all walk scot-free in the era of a joke of an EFCC while political opponents were witch-hunted.He cannot be Nigeria's best president ever.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by AroOkigbo(m): 9:47am On May 25, 2010
Just few days ago, I heard Yar'Adua was the best.
Today the music seems to say it's OBJ.

They only become the best when they die.
so OBJ
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by onyeokwuak(f): 9:56am On May 25, 2010
OBJ is unaguaguebly the best president so far. Join me lets go down the memory lane.
Electric power is one of Nigerians socio economic problems that was why he started building more power stations knowing that the  voltage power stations were generating then were not sufficient. You can agree with me that He had built new power stations and had others under construction before Yaradua came on board.

One of the things that deregulation of tele communication brought about , during his time ,was mass employment with the advent of multinational companies like MTN.It also paved the way for our indeginious  companies to strive.Its obvious that GLO and others are striving.

OBJ  foreign policies opened way for a more economic regional integration of west African states.You can also agree with me that , many Nigerians are expanding there businesses network now to Ghana and other countries of west Africa.

Debt forgiveness.

Bank reforms which brought about bank's restrengthening and more employment. The stock market would have been booming till now if not the global crisis.

Fight against corruption my establishing EFCC and ICPC. nO MATTER HOW U C IT, THEY ARE STILL WORKING AS ANTI CORRUPTION BODIES.

I can write a full book on the success story of Obj regime.

There is no doubt, we experienced economic boom.if u didnt, na u cause am. I hope u were not waiting for govt to spoon- feed u.

Who knows the economic boom  we would have been experiencing if they had allowed the last econmic policy(DEREGULATION OF OIL DOWNSTREAM SECTOR), he introduced to live.

Do u think we have had it like this b4 ?
U better think well
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Timijo(m): 10:11am On May 25, 2010
it is very easy to criticize than to create. All you critics of OBJ and other past leaders, what would u have achieve if u were d presidents? Wouldn't u do d worst things to the country? And now, wat are u doing to move d country foward in ur own little corner? Are u faithful nd honest to others and to ur work? If not, pls shut ur mouth. From xperience, "critics are not always good leaders".
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Sauron1: 10:12am On May 25, 2010
Eastbay:

OBJ had the best opportunity to move this country forward.
Instead he dragged it back by decades.
Forget about the GSM thing.If we go by the indices of growth during his tenure,the brother set us back big-time.
Like Dayokanu says,he has nothing tangible to boast of.
If in a democratic era,genocide-style incidents like Zaki-Biam/Odi happened,and there is nobody to hold accountable,I guess there is no point in arguing in his favour.
If after 8 years of OBJ,there is no form of stable electricity (which is a key requirement for development),there are more bad roads than when he took over,there is more insecurity in the Niger Delta and the general populace,there is more unemployment,there is a band of political thugs called PDP,I don't see what the noise is about his achievements.
Against the backdrop of the record oil prices during his tenure,the dude has really nothing to show for if all he did was to put an ailing Yar'Adua as his successor.All we are left with is the corruption of his era.Dudes like Odili,Anenih all walk scot-free in the era of a joke of an EFCC while political opponents were witch-hunted.He cannot be Nigeria's best president ever.

Stop wasting words on OBJ - Nigeria's biggest simpleton.
He is useless beyond useless. . . . .He had 8 stable years to make an impact in Nigeria but he failed woefully.
The only thing he succeeded doing was banging his daughter-in-law. What a disgrace of a man!!!

If anyone says OBJ is the best president Nigeria ever had, i will piss in his/her face.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by AMIRACH: 10:14am On May 25, 2010
wasting time arguing nonsense that wont make any input in your lives
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Yefet(m): 10:22am On May 25, 2010
[table]OBJ is unaguaguebly the best president so far. Join me lets go down the memory lane.
Electric power is one of Nigerians socio economic problems that was why he started building more power stations knowing that the  voltage power stations were generating then were not sufficient. You can agree with me that He had built new power stations and had others under construction before Yaradua came on board.

One of the things that deregulation of tele communication brought about , during his time ,was mass employment with the advent of multinational companies like MTN.It also paved the way for our indeginious  companies to strive.Its obvious that GLO and others are striving.

OBJ  foreign policies opened way for a more economic regional integration of west African states.You can also agree with me that , many Nigerians are expanding there businesses network now to Ghana and other countries of west Africa.

Debt forgiveness.

Bank reforms which brought about bank's restrengthening and more employment. The stock market would have been booming till now if not the global crisis.

Fight against corruption my establishing EFCC and ICPC. nO MATTER HOW U C IT, THEY ARE STILL WORKING AS ANTI CORRUPTION BODIES.

I can write a full book on the success story of Obj regime.

There is no doubt, we experienced economic boom.if u didnt, na u cause am. I hope u were not waiting for govt to spoon- feed u.

Who knows the economic boom  we would have been experiencing if they had allowed the last econmic policy(DEREGULATION OF OIL DOWNSTREAM SECTOR), he introduced to live.

Do u think we have had it like this b4 ?
U better think well
[/table]

Do you have a short sight or what? how myopic and naive you write things and am sure people like you are in an advanced age or have benefited from Obj.

What do you mean Telecomunication deregulation? What happend to MTN,ECONET and the rest,started during the time of Abacha-Abdulsalam before Obj brought them in Finaly. so stop saying he brough them. And what happend to NITEL till date as am talking to you he killed Nitel because he wanted His company (Transcorp) to own it. A whole Nigeria has no viable NATIONAL TELE CARRIER.

And about Nigerian Banks moving overseas, go and do your research the 3 main reason why they are moving to Ghana ;

1: Electricity
2: Stable Political Atmosphere
3: Transparent and viable economic environment

When you talk of Power station and the Money he embezzle for it ($16b) withing 2-3yrs Nigeria would ev been able to produce more than 60,000mgw of Electricity but he messed up and left.Go and investigate and see if the so many power station were ever existing or they were only on papers? Or you think we have no idea what his daughter did with the white man whom .

Please be wise in your write up and stop writing with bias or like someone that has been sponsored by PDP to come hear and shame on you that you are a lady writing this. I expected this from a man.

ICPC,EFFC Is good idea, but if he had let them work believe me all the so called godfathers and top politicians and so many others wont be out making noise. They were all created to Witch hunt Politicians
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Sauron1: 10:26am On May 25, 2010
Yefet:

ICPC,EFFC Is good idea, but if he had let them work believe me all the so called godfathers and top politicians and so many others wont be out making noise. They were all created to Witch hunt Politicians

Created to witch-hunt OBJ's political rivals.
OBJ is an obnoxious fat pig with little or no leadership nous.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Excllncy(m): 10:30am On May 25, 2010
To catch a thief, you need to behave like a thief. Obasanjo must have been involved in some stuff, but he is my No.1 Man. The best President so far! I hope Goodluck have learned something from him.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by faithin9ja: 10:44am On May 25, 2010
It would appear many contributors to this thread are too young to remember Nigeria, under Gowon, Muritala, OBJ, Shagari, even Idiagbon & Buhari.

OBJ was never destined to rule Nigeria the first time or second, if not for a failed coup by Dimka, OBJ would never have ruled first time around. Muritala is hailed as a saint, why? he died young never to fully perform well or bad. What do I remember him for? sacking civil servants for turning up late for work and making families hungry without bread winners because a civil servant dropped his children at school before going to work.

OBJ first regime completed the refineries, built power stations such as Shiriroro, completed FESTAC town, built Muritala Mohammed Airport, Aminu Kano Airport, Tin Can Island, revamped Apapa Port, Lagos - Ibadan Expressway (named E1 as the first expressway in Nigeria), Trans Amadi, Ikeja, Ilupepju and other industrial estates were built during this time and much of the current dilapidated infrastructure in the country were started during his first incarnation as Head of State. OBJ regime pursued anti- apartheid policies, driving out Barclays and BP because of their trading with South Africa. His regime supported independence in Zimbabwe. Many Zimbabwe and South Africa students were giving scholarships in the then decent Nigerian Schools. So- called first generation universities flourished in OBJ term ( there was inevitable student unrest such as Ali Mungo riots)

OBJ the first African military leader to hand over to a Civilian government without bloodshed (for this he was pilloried by the South West Media, did Awolowo really think he won?)

After his first term he became an international elder statesman, a member of the Eminent Person Group (EPG) of then influential Commonwealth and was one of the first blackmen to walk on segregated beaches in South Africa at the height of apartheid.

Years later he was implicated by a paranoid Abacha of coup plotting, locked in prison, this same time his colleague from the military days Shehu Yaradua died in prison in Enugu, nobody in the mid 90's ever thought OBJ would ever come out alive let alone rule the country. At that time mis- guided young men were holding 'million man' marches in Abuja to support Abacha.

His second time, well other posters have highlighted his good and bad achievements, political manoeuvring, Odi massacres, selective punishment for corrupt officials (Tafa, etc), but then we have appointment of technocrats, cleaning up banking (Soludo did some good, if you lost money in the banks under IBB & Abacha you will know what I mean), cleared the National Debt - Ngozi Iweala, NAFDAC - Akunyili. even petrol shortage - al la stinking fuel imports by Chougari's /Abacha.

OBJ is a straight talking, no nonsense, doesn't waste his time talking big grammar to anyone, he's mostly likely a bully, he is NOT a saint, BUT given the hopeless leaders we have had since 1960 I am VERY SORRY to say he is the best leader we have ever had, as the Americans say, if this is the best I pity the rest.

Somebody please tell me which leader was better (and don't tell me that because WAI was flogging people at bus-stops this made Idiagdon a good leader, I for don't like to queue to buy Omo and other essential commodities)
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Maxidoe(m): 10:52am On May 25, 2010
It is so sad how some nairalanders cherish OBJ,this is a man who dragged Nigeria uncountable steps backward.But one thing they have actually failed to do is to outline those great achievements in 8good years,yes 8years, no government in Nigeria have ever been opportune d to receive what OBJ received in the federation account as a result of sky rocketing fuel price in the international Market.I wonder why we always celebrate mediocrity.If anyone here have been opportune d to visit Ghana,Togo,Cameroun,Ivory Coast,Senegal, this countries to a large extent have defeated the monster called blackout.OBJ disciples can you please outline what he achieved in 8 years worth mentioning.GSM was a technology that as waiting to happen,yet he could not ensure the vibrancy and continuity of Nitel to efecticvely compete with this new ones,he killed  it after he sold it to himself.And @Bluetooth if your sister was raped by some smelling drunk soldiers,and ur siblings killed, and your family house burnt you wont be making that kinda wicked statement about the actions in Zaki biam and Odi, so you are saying raping and killing innocent women and children is a means of correcting a community, you are just pathetic not cos of ur views,but cos of ur level of reasoning,

OBJ this was a man:
-Who slept with his daughter inlaw and broke the marriage of his son
-Who met more than 3000 mega watt been generated and left with 1000plus mega watt been generated after spending 16 billion dollars,how many governments have spent that amount on power.)
-Destroyed Nitel
-Institutionalised corruption
-Spent whooping billions of dollars on refinery yet, he imports refined fuel
-No government ever increased fuel price like he did.
-Inflation was at its worst in his regime(How much was transportation cost when he came to power in 1999, and how much was it when he left)
-He counducted the worst election in Nigerian history.
-Sent soldiers to rape,maime,and kill innocent women and children in odi and zaki biam.
I can go on and on, lets not allow ethnic sentiments to erode our way od reasoning,OBJ was a curse on Nigeria,a disgrace to the ethnic group called yoruba and an insult to the nationality called Nigeria,i hope nemesis catches up with him, cos he is indeed an arcused,for his praise singers,you have your reasons, but somethings(foolishness) are better left within, why wash your dirty linen in public
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Sauron1: 10:56am On May 25, 2010
Maxidoe:

It is so sad how some nairalanders cherish OBJ,this is a man who dragged Nigeria uncountable steps backward.But one thing they have actually failed to do is to outline those great achievements in 8good years,yes 8years, no government in Nigeria have ever been opportune d to receive what OBJ received in the federation account as a result of sky rocketing fuel price in the international Market.I wonder why we always celebrate mediocrity.If anyone here have been opportune d to visit Ghana,Togo,Cameroun,Ivory Coast,Senegal, this countries to a large extent have defeated the monster called blackout.OBJ disciples can you please outline what he achieved in 8 years worth mentioning.GSM was a technology that as waiting to happen,yet he could not ensure the vibrancy and continuity of Nitel to efecticvely compete with this new ones,he killed  it after he sold it to himself.And @Bluetooth if your sister was despoiled by some smelling drunk soldiers,and your siblings killed, and your family house burnt you wont be making that kinda wicked statement about the actions in Zaki biam and Odi, so you are saying despoiling and killing innocent women and children is a means of correcting a community, you are just pathetic not cos of your views,but cos of your level of reasoning,

OBJ this was a man:
-Who met more than 3000 mega watt been generated and left with 1000plus mega watt been generated after spending 16 billion dollars,how many governments have spent that amount on power.)
-Destroyed Nitel
-Spent whooping billions of dollars on refinery yet, he imports refined fuel
-Inflation was at its worst in his regime(How much was transportation cost when he came to power in 1999, and how much was it when he left)
-Sent soldiers to despoil,maime,and kill innocent women and children in odi and zaki biam.
I can go on and on, lets not allow ethnic sentiments to erode our way od reasoning,OBJ was a curse on Nigeria,a disgrace to the ethnic group called yoruba and an insult to the nationality called Nigeria,i hope nemesis catches up with him, cos he is indeed an arcused,for his praise singers,you have your reasons, but somethings(foolishness) are better left within, why wash your dirty linen in public

He will certainly die a violent death or Ebola. grin
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by faithin9ja: 10:59am On May 25, 2010
@Yefet point of correction Abacha sold GSM licences to his cronies Lebanese who did not have the skills or money to implement the GSM, then proceeded to sue the Federal government when the licences were sold to the MTN, ECONET, etc. OBJ regime started the whole process of GSM not Abulsalam.

NITEL, Nigeria Airways, NITEL , Federal Hotels, NPA, NIPOST were all strengthen during OBJ first term as Head of State but as with all state owned business around the world the fell victim to government cannot run business. Why should government pay salaries of NITEL workers or Airways staff when they collect ticket money and phone bills? these were loss making ventures relying on government subventions rather than paying taxes to government from their profits like a real business should do (I dare say MTN currently pays tax to government)
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by oluagness(m): 11:18am On May 25, 2010
Hey! of many evils, chose the less? On this platform OBJ is the best.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Yefet(m): 11:35am On May 25, 2010
@ Faithin9iger

The Whole Idea ,started during Abbacha rigim period, Even then Glo was existing (with a different company names) and also went for the license the death of Abachas and subsequent change of government (Abbulsalam) made it slow down so never you gave Obj any glory for GSM.

What do you mean Nitel and other airlines were all government run vetures that brought losss. Go to Ghana and find out about Ghana Telecom which the Government ran b4 it was sold to Vodafone,or Malaysian airlines still run by government, Obj Killed ours stop any useless excuse. Look Obj worked, but if we are ro rate his evils and good see below as for me:

Good 28%

Evil 72%

Nigerians are smart but short sighted the little thing someone does we start hailing him as if he has done allot. Compare him to others thats when you will know that he is one of the most dangerous leaders in Africa till date.

Most supporting ABJ are either people who's family or they themselves ev benefited directly from him or who sense of uprightness is just too narrow.

I have a high standard as many millions of Nigerians have too, so we want the best only and not some leader who came and make things worst,because you have GSM in your hands you think he helped you? Don't you know the standard you are living today if we had been blessed with a Jerry Rawlings you would ev been 10 times above such standards?

Stop being myopic and embracing mediocrity.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by oluagness(m): 11:37am On May 25, 2010
Hey! of many evils, chose the less? On this platform OBJ is the best.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by makajibbz(m): 11:43am On May 25, 2010
i dont see what OBJ has done, really
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Nobody: 11:55am On May 25, 2010
Yefet:

@ Faithin9iger

The Whole Idea ,started during Abbacha rigim period, Even then Glo was existing (with a different company names) and also went for the license the death of Abachas and subsequent change of government (Abbulsalam) made it slow down so never you gave Obj any glory for GSM.

What do you mean Nitel and other airlines were all government run vetures that brought losss. Go to Ghana and find out about Ghana Telecom which the Government ran b4 it was sold to Vodafone,or Malaysian airlines still run by government, Obj Killed ours stop any useless excuse. Look Obj worked, but if we are ro rate his evils and good see below as for me:

Good 28%

Evil 72%

Nigerians are smart but short sighted the little thing someone does we start hailing him as if he has done allot. Compare him to others thats when you will know that he is one of the most dangerous leaders in Africa till date.

Most supporting ABJ are either people who's family or they themselves ev benefited directly from him or who sense of uprightness is just too narrow.

I have a high standard as many millions of Nigerians have too, so we want the best only and not some leader who came and make things worst,because you have GSM in your hands you think he helped you? Don't you know the standard you are living today if we had been blessed with a Jerry Rawlings you would ev been 10 times above such standards?

Stop being myopic and embracing mediocrity.
simply ask and i demand a yes or no from you.was there any GSM network in nigeria prior to 1999.Nitel has always been a comatose before obasanjo regime.our lack of maintenance culture brought down nitel,the refineries,the airports and other national assets.
up till this moment,he's a thorn in the flesh of the northerners.i just can't imagining him not being available to counter the evil plans of danjuma,atiku,ibb,marwa and gusau.who in nigeria can stand the treachery and manipulations of these northern rogues.obj is the evil that can withstand their evil.no qualms about that
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by daylight03: 12:20pm On May 25, 2010
Don't let your hatred of OBJ cloud your judgment,  he was BAD but which past president was better than him? Compare Nigeria in IBB and Abacha's time to the Nigeria we live in now. as for the Joker that said OBJ killed NITEL,  you don't know what you're saying because NITEL like all other government establishments in Nigeria had already been dead for decades.

So he was corrupt,  show me a Nigerian who is not corrupt. Do you think one man's corruption can ruin a country? Nigeria is like this because almost every Nigerian is corrupt.

Show me the past president that was better than OBJ and tell me what he achieved. If Nigerians are buying Fuel for 75 naira isnt it better than months long fuel scarcity as experienced during Abacha's time,  Talking about political assassinations , Did those things start with OBJ,  i remember a lot of killings went on during the Abacha era,  and what of IBB and the infamous Dele Giwa saga.

I was born and grew up in the IBB/Abacha. The poverty that was experienced then does not exist anymore. I attended a federal school and most of the teachers were suffering. Their lives changed during OBJ's time. University lecturers also had their salaries increased,  before OBJ they were wretched.

Someone talked about OBJ allowing schools to go on strike,  again weren't there strikes before OBJ? long ones for that matter. Before OBJ what did a graduate have to look forward to after school? now even though there's still unemployment things are much better.

Nobody is saying the man is a saint but given the country he had to run, he tried, better than anyone else we've had in a while.

faithin9ja:

It would appear many contributors to this thread are too young to remember Nigeria, under Gowon, Muritala, OBJ, Shagari, even Idiagbon & Buhari.

OBJ was never destined to rule Nigeria the first time or second, if not for a failed coup by Dimka, OBJ would never have ruled first time around. Muritala is hailed as a saint, why? he died young never to fully perform well or bad. What do I remember him for? sacking civil servants for turning up late for work and making families hungry without bread winners because a civil servant dropped his children at school before going to work.

OBJ first regime completed the refineries, built power stations such as Shiriroro, completed FESTAC town, built Muritala Mohammed Airport, Aminu Kano Airport, Tin Can Island, revamped Apapa Port, Lagos - Ibadan Expressway (named E1 as the first expressway in Nigeria), Trans Amadi, Ikeja, Ilupepju and other industrial estates were built during this time and much of the current dilapidated infrastructure in the country were started during his first incarnation as Head of State. OBJ regime pursued anti- apartheid policies, driving out Barclays and BP because of their trading with South Africa. His regime supported independence in Zimbabwe. Many Zimbabwe and South Africa students were giving scholarships in the then decent Nigerian Schools. So- called first generation universities flourished in OBJ term ( there was inevitable student unrest such as Ali Mungo riots)

OBJ the first African military leader to hand over to a Civilian government without bloodshed (for this he was pilloried by the South West Media, did Awolowo really think he won?)

After his first term he became an international elder statesman, a member of the Eminent Person Group (EPG) of then influential Commonwealth and was one of the first blackmen to walk on segregated beaches in South Africa at the height of apartheid.

Years later he was implicated by a paranoid Abacha of coup plotting, locked in prison, this same time his colleague from the military days Shehu Yaradua died in prison in Enugu, nobody in the mid 90's ever thought OBJ would ever come out alive let alone rule the country. At that time mis- guided young men were holding 'million man' marches in Abuja to support Abacha.

His second time, well other posters have highlighted his good and bad achievements, political manoeuvring, Odi massacres, selective punishment for corrupt officials (Tafa, etc), but then we have appointment of technocrats, cleaning up banking (Soludo did some good, if you lost money in the banks under IBB & Abacha you will know what I mean), cleared the National Debt - Ngozi Iweala, NAFDAC - Akunyili. even petrol shortage - al la stinking fuel imports by Chougari's /Abacha.

OBJ is a straight talking, no nonsense, doesn't waste his time talking big grammar to anyone, he's mostly likely a bully, he is NOT a saint, BUT given the hopeless leaders we have had since 1960 I am VERY SORRY to say he is the best leader we have ever had, as the Americans say, if this is the best I pity the rest.

Somebody please tell me which leader was better (and don't tell me that because WAI was flogging people at bus-stops this made Idiagdon a good leader, I for don't like to queue to buy Omo and other essential commodities)

On Point.!
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by zikko(m): 12:44pm On May 25, 2010
The man OBJ did what he considered as the best for Nigeria, i tell you the true not until we set the right standard of electing our leaders, any person that come to power with the present trend of corruption and election rigging will do worst than OBJ. I REST MY CASE grin cheesy
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Meldrick(m): 1:21pm On May 25, 2010
Maxidoe:

OBJ this was a man:

What has this got to do with our country Nigeria. That was his personnal affair. He is an adult who can do anything with his personal life. It doesn't affect you. It didn't stop your food from digesting.

Maxidoe:

You talk like a child. What will you say of Babangida. Corruption was democratized under Babangida and that's why his government was referred to as you chop I chop government.

Maxidoe:

Nothing in this world is static. You don't expect the price of fuel in 1960 to be the same in 2010.

Maxidoe:

Still talking like a child. What will you say about a man who annulled a free and fair election. Is that not the real devil? Obj is still better. At least you say his election was rigged. There is no place in the world where you have a perfect election even in America but if Babangida had not annulled the June 12 election, it would have been on record as one of the freest and fairest succesful election conducted in the world.

~Sauron~:

He will certainly die a violent death or Ebola. grin

After you. grin
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Timijo(m): 1:43pm On May 25, 2010
it is very easy to criticize than to create. All you critics of OBJ and other past leaders, what would u have achieve if u were d presidents? Wouldn't u do d worst things to the country? And now, wat are u doing to move d country foward in ur own little corner? Are u faithful nd honest to others and to ur work? If not, pls shut ur mouth. From xperience, "critics are not always good leaders".
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Timijo(m): 1:45pm On May 25, 2010
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by uyakachi(m): 1:45pm On May 25, 2010
*****oba whooo
the best president ever
lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed lipsrsealed
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by publisher(m): 1:56pm On May 25, 2010
Truth be told: When i was younger,whenever the word Hausa or Northerner was mentioned, every other Nigerian trembles. Obasanjo as pressident showed us all that when it comes to political power,all Nigerians can be equal. Since Obj's era in politics,the North no longer intimidates the South as before. Obj went further to seriously empower the South economically through the financial system,such that even the acendancy of a Northern ,islamic Hegomonist like Mallam Sanusi Lamido could not reverse the trend. During Obj's 8 year rule,he did allow militants to flourish in the Niger-delta,he did this to counter any event that some northern soldiers in the barracks decide to plot a coup,they'll meet a handful as these militants will never give in to them, Also,other southerners will definitely join hands with militants to fight off any Northern led coup attempt. Obasanjo's era also gave the middle belt and other 'inferior Northerners the confidence to challenge the Hausa/Fulanis. This is why the Jos crisis still lingers.
Obasanjo balanced Nigeria.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by Sauron1: 2:06pm On May 25, 2010
Meldrick:

After you. grin

Without a doubt, testicles dwell in your brain cavity.
Re: Obj Is Bad Yes, But He's Still Nigeria's Best Ever President. No Contest by faithin9ja: 2:46pm On May 25, 2010
@Yefet It would appear from your responses that you are probably grew up in the late 90's early 2000's so you are unable to compare regimes or your knowledge of economic history is limited and I DO NOT say this as an insult.

OBJ WAS FAR FROM A PERFECT LEADER!!!!! but a small economic history of Nigeria for you and other NL'ers

In 1972, Gowon regime instituted the Indigenisation decree (Military government law) which meant that all businesses in Nigeria must have a percentage of Nigerian ownership, for instance any retail outlet must be 100% Nigerian owned, which led to all the Lebanese cloth sellers in Idumota closing shop and being taken over by Yoruba women, 4 star hotels were to be 60% owned by Nigerians, 40% foreign, however big complex businesses could have up to 60% foreign ownership.

At this time shortly after the civil war, there were not as many Nigerian entrepreneurs and business people as we have now, also Gowon regime was following our old colonial masters, Great Britain which in the 1970's was nationalising industries, as such in the UK we had British Steel, British Gas, BCal airlines, British Airways, GPO (post office), etc. Nigeria followed suit; the government established hundreds of government businesses, P&T (no NITEL or NIPOST then), NEPA, Nigerian Airways, Federal Hotels, Refineries, NNPC, Insurance companies, banks, newspapers, flour mills, media houses, etc were all 100% owned by government. Even state government started their own businesses.

The man you love to hate so much continued this trend when he took over from Muritala in 1976 (am sure Yefet was not born by this time). OBJ strengthen these parastals and government companies, even created new companies and factories, all owned by government.The Indiginsation decree was reviewed again 1977. The watch word in the 1970's and 80's was government subvention , ie how much money the government would give these parastals in any budget, NOT how much money these parastals made for government.  In fact they became a drain on the Nigerian economy and performed very badly.

For example the NITEL that Yefet is accusing OBJ of killing was famous for giving people inflated telephone bills, the lines never worked, it took years to get a line, I personally paid the equivalent of $3000 for a line in 1997 and never got the line. NITEL staff after committing fraud would burn down their offices, such as Ikeja exchange, Benin exchange and NITEL House Marina (this was burnt in Shagari or IBB era, somebody please correct me), NITEL staff would regularly 'toss' your line, you would go to their office to beg and bribe to get your line back, was this OBJ's doing? in 2000, NITEL has 450,000 lines, 50,000 were their analogue mobile lines of the remaining 400,000, less than 150,000 were working and 60% of the lines were in Lagos. this was the time we would all queue at Falamo to make a phone call - do you remember? Other government companies were equally as bad.

Anyway back to the lesson; it was during IBB regime that IMF said Nigeria had to privatise our government owned companies to get these companies to stop being a drain on the government and provide proper services. IBB was able to privatise some (very few) mostly he just let the companies die without government subventions and called the programme 'commercialisation'.

So, when by surprise OBJ can back to power in 1999, he carried on with the privatisation programme which countries around the world have done (socialism has failed even in China there are now private companies flourishing and providing jobs for millions of people). The GSM introduction was part of this programme which was thwarted by Abacha who had, as mentioned earlier sold the license to his Lebanese friends (Adenuga tried then but Abacha, et al didn't grant him the licence) for peanuts. MTN has brought billions of dollars investment into the country. (what we now need is for other sectors of the economy to go in this direction starting with electricity). Even Britain now has all it's electricity produced a distributed by private companies.

The moral of this lesson government companies especially in Nigeria don't work. OBJ is not brilliant, but killing NITEL is not one of the sticks to beat him with, there are other things he's has done which should be condemned. Choose your arguments carefully.

Am still waiting for someone to tell a better Nigerian head of state

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

What Is Iberiberism? The New Word Rochas Coined / Kaduna State Final Result / Court Strikes-Out Fashola’s Suit To Stop Jang As Governors’ Forum Chair

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 118
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.