Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,751 members, 7,831,406 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 06:16 PM

Romero Warns Nigeria, Other World Cup Group D Foes To Beware Of ‘football-mad Ar - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Romero Warns Nigeria, Other World Cup Group D Foes To Beware Of ‘football-mad Ar (302 Views)

All African Games 2019: Familiar Foes Await Falconets / Oshoala, Oparanozie, Ajibade & Other World Stars @ Nike's Fashion Show In Paris / Golden Eaglets Know AFCON Foes Today (photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Romero Warns Nigeria, Other World Cup Group D Foes To Beware Of ‘football-mad Ar by solbase10(m): 10:16am On May 16, 2018
Argentina goalkeeper and Manchester United second choice, Sergio Romero, has stated that Argentina’s pedigree in world football will make their 2018 World Cup Group D opponents be wary of the Albiceleste.

Argentina are in the same group with debutant Iceland, Nigeria and Croatia.

The two-time World Cup winners will open their campaign against Iceland on June 16.

Speaking ahead of their first game against Iceland, Romero however described the newcomers as a tough side.

“We know Iceland have strong players who had a great Euro, taking their team to historic new heights and who won’t give anything away at a World Cup,” Romero told Reuters in an interview.

“But we, as Argentina, such a football-mad country and so sentimental, have to look inwards and not at other teams. We’ve got to do our work and if we do that well, the other teams will have to worry about Argentina.”

Despite playing second fiddle to David De Gea at Manchester United, Romero expressed confidence that it would not affect his chances of being in goal for Argentina in Russia.

The 31-year-old could face stiff competition from uncapped River Plate goalkeeper Franco Armani, who was included in coach Jorge Sampaoli’s 35-man provisional squad on Monday after a stellar season that included 11 clean sheets in his last 15 matches.

“I have never felt the weight of being inactive. For me it’s not the same for a goalkeeper to lack matches as it is for an outfield player.

“Thankfully, I have shown over the years that whether I play or not (for my club), I’ll always be fit because that’s what I train for.

“I have shown I am worthy of playing in the Argentina national team. I’m always keen to join up with the Argentina team to play, to stop shots, that’s my goal and always has been since Diego (Maradona) gave me my debut (in 2009).”

Source:https://www.completesportsnigeria.com/romero-warns-nigeria-other-world-cup-group-d-foes-to-beware-of-football-mad-argentina/

Re: Romero Warns Nigeria, Other World Cup Group D Foes To Beware Of ‘football-mad Ar by Airtimex(m): 10:18am On May 16, 2018
First choice goal keeper at River plate is no competition to you. Manchester United remains a top club in Europe, even their third choice keeper can bench many first choice keepers...

Nigeria is really giving these guys chills cheesy just wait until then, we will know who should be wary of each other. Argentina is a footballing country and Nigeria is a herdsmen country lipsrsealed

(1) (Reply)

Nasarawa United, Kano Pillars In A Thrilling Goalless Draw / In The Coming Days, I Will Give A Response To Fans- Cristiano / National Assembly Threatens To Impeach Buhari, Knocks Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.