Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,850 members, 7,810,277 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 04:28 AM

Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. (1186 Views)

2023 AFCON: Peseiro To Submit Super Eagles Provisional List December 14 / NFF Releases Super Eagles 25 Man Provisional List For AFCON / Nigerians React To World Cup 30-Man Provisional Squad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by phreakabit(m): 12:56pm On May 16, 2018
So, I finally have free time, and decided to come up with this write up based on the provisional squad list. This is entirely my opinion, you don't have to agree with me.

Guaranteed spots :
Mikel Obi, Victor Moses,Odion Ighalo,Alex Iwobi, William Ekong,
Leon Balogun, Abdullahi Shehu,Iheanacho, Onazi, Ndidi, Moses Simon,
John Ogu, Ahmed Musa, Ikechukwu Ezenwa,Daniel Akpeyi (sadly), Francis Uzoho.
This leaves room for just 7 more (fringe) players.
So, below I have created what I perceive to be the possible final list based on reputation,regularity/familiarity and form.

Possible final list, segmented by departments.

Goal Keepers:
Ikechukwu Ezenwa
Francis Uzoho
Daniel Akpeyi (Yet again sadly)

Verdict: Honestly, not satisfied with this department at all! Would have hoped to see Carl Ikeme, but I guess his

health issues played a big factor in his getting left out.

Center Backs:
William Ekong
Leon Balogun

Verdict :This department has only 2 proven CB as listed above. As other players who have played in this position are

yet to prove their mettle.Possible options are Kenneth Omeruo, Chidozie Awaziem & Stephen Eze. It is going to be difficult

making a cut here. Personally I would chose Kenneth and Chidozie based on experience, but Eze provides height which if added

to Leon, Ekong and Mikel, who are all tall individuals.... would make us an aerial threat in set pieces. 4 tall guys to aim at..... Possibly 5.

Right Back
Abdulahi Shehu
Tyronne Ebuehi

Verdict: This department has only 2 proven NATURAL RB as listed above. . . We would need a utility player

to fill in or supplement. Possible options: Victor Moses,Chidozie Awaziem. This however depends on the coaches formation of

choice.Unfortunately we are short of utility Two-footed players.

Left Back
Elderson Echiejile
Bryan Idowu
Ola Aina

Verdict : This department has to be the NIGHTMARE of the team. I am not going to be diplomatic about it. This is our
weakest link, and could possibly be the "Achilles Heel" of the team. Should our opponents find out.Personally, I'd say none

of the players above desserves to be a starter in that position, but we will make do with what we have. God help us.

Defensive Midfield
Ogenyi Onazi
Wilfred Ndidi
John Ogu

Verdict: Somewhat satisfied with this department, even though most of them play more as Box-to-Box midfielders,

rather than holding midfielders... I still believe they are physically strong,doged and rugged enough for the task. Looks

good from over here.

Central Midfield
Mikel Obi

Verdict: Absolutely no doubt who would be starting here. We only have ONE true CM being Mikel obi. A bit of a worry

for me as the only back up would be Joel Obi, but considering his history with injuries. I am a bit worried I must say. John

Ogu can also play in this position, but he is a bit lacking technically in comparison to the two aforementioned.

Attacking Midfield/Wingers

Victor Moses
Alex Iwobi
Kelechi Iheanacho
Moses Simon
Ahmed Musa

Verdict : Without a doubt the department of the squad, with our most dangerous and LETHAL in-form players. Nobody

left out.With our recent preference for 4-3-3 and 4-3-2-1 formations,I hope you'd permit me to add the wingers to the

attacking midfield.

Strikers
Odion Ighalo
Simeon Nwankwo

Verdict : It's almost obvious our only out and out striker in the team is Ighalo. Kelechi Iheanacho is obviously best utilized as an 8, which has always been his preferred role, even at youth level. With that said I believe Simeon Nwankwo should be given a nod to be the back-up striker, based on the following points.

I,He is 6ft4. Would provide an aerial alternative if playing on the ground proves abortive. Our 5th tall player.
II, knows how to run for his height, and has an above average intelligence in positioning .
III, A case of luck maybe or well calculated hard work, but his recent form has been prolific.

OUTRIGHT SHOCKING ABSENTEES

Olanrewaju Kayode. I honestly don't know why and how this guy was left out of the team. I am not exaggerating when I say,

this lad is THE DEADLIEST Nigerian striker in Europe as far as the 18 yard box is concerned. It's almost an atrocity that

he was left out! I feel bad for him, I honestly do. Blame would have to go to Girona for just over looking him without even

giving him a chance. He only joined Shaktar last month, and has already won player of the month there, and scored numerous

goals. I trust everyone will agree Shaktar is not a small club lacking quality. For him to win player of the month..... Well

you get the point.

Henry Onyekuru. I guess he will miss the world cup due to lack of minutes, as a result of getting injured earlier in the

season. Such a shame though. We could really use his pace.

Samuel Kalu. Some argue he is better than his Gent teammate Moses Simon, as he has on some occasions benched Simon at club

level, with both of them starting on either wings other times....Fast, strong, skillful and intelligent. It is yet unkown why he hasn't been called

to the National team.

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by Mrchippychappy(m): 1:20pm On May 16, 2018
Good analysis, left back is big concern for the team. Mods frontpage please
Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 2:33pm On May 16, 2018

Olanrewaju Kayode. I honestly don't know why and how this guy was left out of the team. I am not exaggerating when I say,

this lad is THE DEADLIEST Nigerian striker in Europe as far as the 18 yard box is concerned. It's almost an atrocity that

he was left out! I feel bad for him, I honestly do. Blame would have to go to Girona for just over looking him without even

giving him a chance. He only joined Shaktar last month, and has already won player of the month there, and scored numerous

goals. I trust everyone will agree Shaktar is not a small club lacking quality. For him to win player of the month..... Well

you get the point.

Lol The guy has scored only 2 goals at shakter donetsk
Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by phreakabit(m): 3:54pm On May 16, 2018
Eastatlantaniqqa:

you get the point.

Lol The guy has scored only 2 goals at shakter donetsk

2 goals in 4 games - 97 minute per goal in the Ukrainian Premier Liga

1 goal in 2 games - 104 minutes played in Ukrainian cup.

Also wins league's player of the Month in the same month. Fred and Taison who are going to the WC with Brazil play in the same league BTW.

How is this a bad record after joining the team on loan from Man City in March and debuting on April 1st ?
Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by Eastatlantaniqqa(m): 4:14pm On May 16, 2018
phreakabit:

2 goals in 4 games - 97 minute per goal in the Ukrainian Premier Liga

1 goal in 2 games - 104 minutes played in Ukrainian cup.

Also wins league's player of the Month in the same month. Fred and Taison who are going to the WC with Brazil play in the same league BTW.

How is this a bad record after joining the team on loan from Man City in March and debuting on April 1st ?

So he's shocked you than that of Henry onyekuru And junior ajayi ?
Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by phreakabit(m): 6:23pm On May 16, 2018
Eastatlantaniqqa:

So he's shocked you than that of Henry onyekuru And junior ajayi ?

Can we please be realistic here. I already stated why Henry was left out. He is just recovering from injury, I actually stated I would have loved to have them both in the team. But make NO mistake, Kayode is superior to him. He has played as a 9 all his life with proven track record. Highest goal scorer in the Austrian league last season as well as Austrian player of the year award. As for Junior Ajayi, I am sorry but he is absolutely irrelevant compared to the players invited. We are talking about the World cup here not CHAN.

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by Hoduwahishape: 7:48am On May 19, 2018
Nicely analyzed, but I just want to say... I don't want Akpeyi anywhere near the team, abeg!

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by kenzysmith: 7:57am On May 19, 2018
Stop this nonsense are we one of the favorite? We don't even have a goalkeeper to rely on the truth be told y is the coach not even given alampasu a chance, that keeper francis cannot compose himself against. Player s like modric. Rakitic. Segguson, messi. Aguero and the rest. So nigerians should swallowed their pride by demanding for vincent eyeamea even when not playing is the best for sure, or else group stage exit is inevitable I drop my pen cry
Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by phreakabit(m): 9:54am On May 19, 2018
kenzysmith:
Stop this nonsense are we one of the favorite? We don't even have a goalkeeper to rely on the truth be told y is the coach not even given alampasu a chance, that keeper francis cannot compose himself against. Player s like modric. Rakitic. Segguson, messi. Aguero and the rest. So nigerians should swallowed their pride by demanding for vincent eyeamea even when not playing is the best for sure, or else group stage exit is inevitable I drop my pen cry

Brother, I done tire for the whole thing. I was hoping Carl Ikeme would have recovered on time.
I still think Vincent Eyeama is our best choice and only hope.
But if negotiations with him fails, right now I will take Austin Ejide, over all invited goalies. At all at all na him bad pass

1 Like

Re: Analysis Of The Super Eagles provisional list And Possible Final WC Squad list. by kenzysmith: 10:31am On May 19, 2018
phreakabit:

Brother, I done tire for the whole thing. I was hoping Carl Ikeme would have recovered on time.
I still think Vincent Eyeama is our best choice and only hope.
But if negotiations with him fails, right now I will take Austin Ejide, over all invited goalies. At all at all na him bad pass
I dey tell u ejide is betta off world cup is not experiment place for a inexperience 19 year old keeper I just feel. Sorry for nigeria the last two world cups eayeama has been our best player we have a strong team no doubt the goalkeepers we re taking to the world cup will be our doom

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Win Big With My 2odds Roll Over Master Plan / Neymar And Son Davi Pose In Matching Outfits (photo) / Today Football Acca Tips Sure 11 Odds Free 100% Sure

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.