Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,431 members, 7,812,279 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 11:06 AM

EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering (1155 Views)

Maduka's Guber Bid Gets Massive Boast, As Ex Anambra PDP Chair Collapses All Po / Plot To Remove Secondus As PDP Chair Thickens, Stakeholders Shop For Replacement / Makinde Will Honour Agreement With Adc, Zlp, Sdp — Oyo Pdp Chair Allays Fears (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by OdionAkghigbe: 10:14am On May 17, 2018
The Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC) has arraigned the Edo State Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) 2016 governorship candidate, Pastor Osagie Ize-Iyamu, and the state Chairman of the party, Chief Dan Orbih, before a Federal High Court in Benin for money laundering.

Also charged were former state Deputy Governor, Mr. Lucky Imasuen; former member representing Esan South East and Esan North East federal constituency in the House of Representatives, Tony Azigbemi, and one Efe Erimuoghae Anthony.

While Ize-Iyamu and Orbih were absent in court but were represented by their counsel, the three others were present in court.

The five are facing an eight-count charge of conspiracy with themselves to commit money laundering to the tune of N700 million, an offence contrary to section 18(a) of the Money Laundering (Prohibition) Act 2011 as amended which is punishable under section 15(3) of the same Act.

The anti-crime agency said it may re-arrest Ize-Iyamu since he was not in court to be arraigned along others over alleged money laundering charges.

EFCC said it would get in touch with Ize-Iyamu’s surety on the administrative bail and make effort to re-arrest him.

Counsel to the EFCC, L.P. Aso, who spoke yesterday in Benin-city when the three other persons were arraigned before a Federal High Court for allegedly laundering the sum of N700 million, also said the former Chairman, Board of Trustee (PDP) of the PDP, Chief Tony Anenih, was listed in the charges but was said to be at large.

The absence of Ize-Iyamu and Orbih stalled the arraignment as the EFCC counsel told the court that it was the duty of the commission to produce the accused persons and not for the accused persons to bring themselves to court.

Aso informed the court that all the accused persons had filed application for bail and asked for the court to adjourn to enable the EFCC produce all the defendants in court.

In the charges preferred against Ize-Iyamu and others, the EFCC accused them of taking possession and control of the sum of N700million without any contract award which they ought to know the money form part of an unlawful act.

They were alleged to have made cash payment of N60,650,000 to one Henry Tenebe of Estako West Local Government Area and N61,647,000 to one Momoh Andrew Ojo of Akoko-Edo without going through a financial institution.

In count five, six and seven, they were alleged to have made cash payment of N83,473,000, N125,993,000 and N105,000,000 to Deacon Ezekiel Egharevba, Thomas Aroko and Scott Osagiede respectively without going through a financial institution.

Counsel to Ize-Iyamu and Orbih, Ikide Chiehelua and Chief Ferdinand Orbih (SAN) told the court their clients travelled outside the country.

They, however, promised that their clients were prepared to face trials and would be back by next Tuesday.

Ferdinand Orbih said: “I have his instruction that he will be back to answer to the charges. He is ready and willing to defend himself. His absence is not borne out of disrespect for the court. He was not served about the arraignment. He only heard about it and he instructed me to appear for him.”

Consequently, Justice P. I. Adjokwu adjourned the case to June 11.

SOURCE: https://www.thisdaylive.com/index.php/2018/05/17/187609/

More Sources:

http://punchng.com/alleged-n700m-fraud-efcc-arraigns-ize-iyamu-others-june-11/

https://www.pmnewsnigeria.com/2018/05/16/efcc-arraigns-ex-edo-deputy-gov-others-over-n700m-graft/

https://independent.ng/alleged-n700m-fraud-absence-of-ize-iyamu-orbih-stalls-arraignment-by-efcc/

https://newtelegraphonline.com/2018/05/four-pdp-apc-chieftains-to-face-trial-over-n700m/

https://www.vanguardngr.com/2018/05/n700m-election-fund-absence-ize-iyamu-orbih-stalls-arraignment/

12 Likes 10 Shares

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by ernecy(m): 10:15am On May 17, 2018
Wahala dey for PDP. But I think APC are trying to cut funding for opposition. It's all in the game, if that's they strategy it's good for them.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by moyems(m): 10:19am On May 17, 2018
This is certainly a hopeless situation for the Edo state PDP.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Osabass: 10:21am On May 17, 2018
Good move. They should go after all of them that put Edo state in retrogression.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by PhilipIdaghosa: 10:34am On May 17, 2018
Interesting! The day of reckoning is finally here for Edo PDP.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Suniyamu: 10:37am On May 17, 2018
Good for the retrogressive-minded Edo PDP Chair. He sure has a lot of questions to answer.

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by frayozzz: 10:40am On May 17, 2018
Chief Dan Orbih, your multple-room hotel complex is on the line. What a pity.

4 Likes 3 Shares

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Ehisbaba78: 10:47am On May 17, 2018
Edo people, I hope you can see the type of leadership we all averted when we unanimously voted in Godwin Obaseki. These PDP people would sent Edo state into economic extinction.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Jesusloveyou: 10:49am On May 17, 2018
The jobless lazy idiotic pigs of Biafra said their ineffectual buffoon never stole, but this 700m naira is from ATM dansuki.

2 Likes

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by MaryOz: 10:57am On May 17, 2018
Ehisbaba78:
Edo people, I hope you can see the type of leadership we all averted when we unanimously voted in Godwin Obaseki. These PDP people would sent Edo state into economic extinction.

Edo is very lucky to have escaped these men, or else I wonder where we would be by now.

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Chufomat: 11:02am On May 17, 2018
MaryOz:

Edo is very lucky to have escaped these men, or else I wonder where we would be by now.

You people are very lucky indeed. God bless you and your active governor. Is he back from the Rome poverty eradication summit?

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by BidBam: 11:06am On May 17, 2018
This is very interesting. Lets see how they will escape all these charges.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Mustad: 11:10am On May 17, 2018
Hymmm.. so Chief Dan Orbih is like this, even Izeh-Iyamu
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Timsally77: 11:14am On May 17, 2018
The evil that men do in the dark goes after them in the day.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by NextGovernor(m): 11:28am On May 17, 2018
In as far I am not against fighting corruption, but this must be done fairly.

Someone who used 230mil to clear grass is still must roaming d street.

Amaechi is still roaming d street upon so many letters sent to EFCC.

Fayemi is now the governor aspirant of APC upon so many letter sent to EFCC against corruption.

Tinubu is still roaming d street backed with security.

Former governor of Abia state Uzor Kanu case was dropped last week becos he is now in APC.

Obanikoro that was talk of town on corruption last 2 years is now sent by this acclaimed corruption fighting government to conduct election for them in Ekiti.

Maina was reinstall and later discovered. Up till now nobody knows about his whereabout.

Money was discovered in Ikoyi Estate. Till now the real owners are not revealed.

I just see all these cases to weaken PDP becos they know Eze Iyamu controls a large follower and nailing him will tame PDP.

They are all thieves but don't select some and leave some.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by KenOne: 12:17pm On May 17, 2018
Challenge to PDP members and supporters just mention one person that is not corrupt in PDP and win 50K. No day that passes without hearing a PDP member has been charged to court for looting,stealing and remainded in prison in Nigeria or abroad. Them swell from these PDP people, Edo was lucky to have escaped from these men of looters.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by comos: 12:18pm On May 17, 2018
EFCC will end up increase their popularity in Edo state,

we all know Oshiomole looted edo state money dry,

EFCC should start with him
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by OdionAkghigbe: 4:23pm On May 17, 2018
comos:
EFCC will end up increase their popularity in Edo state,

we all know Oshiomole looted edo state money dry,

EFCC should start with him

Simply petition EFFC with 'what you know', and I am sure they will take it up from there, Mr. Comos
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Chufomat: 4:35pm On May 17, 2018
OdionAkghigbe:

Simply petition EFFC with 'what you know', and I am sure they will take it up from there, Mr. Comos

I like this, we should all be responsible citizens by going some extra miles, not just 'we know we know'.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by comos: 4:39pm On May 17, 2018
OdionAkghigbe:

it will be useless to argue with you
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by maestroferddi: 4:41pm On May 17, 2018
All APC supporters should pray that they do not lose the general election next year.

If a PDP government takes over, most APC leaders will be sent to the firing squad...

APC and Buhari have set a precedence for using EFCC to emasculate opposition but I see what goes round coming round.

People forget that power is transient.

1 Like

Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by NothingDoMe: 4:42pm On May 17, 2018
OdionAkghigbe:

Petition ko. Transmission ni.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by NothingDoMe: 4:42pm On May 17, 2018
maestroferddi:
All APC supporters should pray that they do not lose the general election next year.

If a PDP government takes over, most APC leaders will be sent to the firing squad...

APC and Buhari have set a precedence for using EFCC to emasculate opposition but I see what goes round coming round.

People forget that power is transient.
You have spoken wisely.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Timsally77: 4:42pm On May 17, 2018
Chufomat:

I like this, we should all be responsible citizens by going some extra miles, not just 'we know we know'.

I buy your talk, ...extra mile bro
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by dlondonbadboy: 4:44pm On May 17, 2018
Wait, chief Tony anineh was said to be at large? The same tony anineh??

Wahala dey oo
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Timsally77: 4:45pm On May 17, 2018
comos:

it will be useless to argue with you

And why not Oga Comos? Are you afraid of Odion? At least you can buttress your point with facts.
Re: EFCC Arraigns Ize-Iyamu, Edo PDP Chair, Others For Money Laundering by Ebenledion: 5:40pm On May 17, 2018
dlondonbadboy:
Wait, chief Tony anineh was said to be at large? The same tony anineh??

Wahala dey oo

If Tony Anenih is not careful, he mau end up spending the rest is his old age in jail. He's a disgrace to Edo State and Esans in general.

(1) (Reply)

See 14 Road Projects FG Is Spending N185bn On / The Controversial President Has Come Out Again! / APC Lays Four Count “criminal” Charge Against R-APC

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.