Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,567 members, 7,823,485 topics. Date: Friday, 10 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

Guidelines For Better Story Writing | A Must Read For Writers - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Guidelines For Better Story Writing | A Must Read For Writers (288 Views)

10 Nigerian Authors Whose Books You Must Read This Year / 40+ Military Code Words For Writers / A Must Read For All Story Lovers ; "The Man I Married" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Guidelines For Better Story Writing | A Must Read For Writers by Wordsmithpraise(m): 1:07pm On May 17, 2018
5 Guidelines For Better Story Writing

"Writing isn’t easy, and writing a good story is even harder"
A short story conserves characters and scenes, ordinarily by concentrating on only one conflict, and drives towards a sudden, unforeseen revelation. Go simple on the piece and chatty back-story — your reader doesn't have to know everything that you know about your characters.

A novel can take an additionally wandering way, yet should in any case begin with a scene that sets the tone for the entire book. A powerful short story (or poem) does not just record or express the writer's emotions; rather, it creates feelings within the readers.

MUST READ >> WHY WRITERS SHOULD HAVE A JOURNAL

Wanna become a better writer? I've got you covered, check out Five Tips To become a better writer

What I know About Story Writing

Since I started my blog last year, I’ve been trying to fully understand how to write a good story. I’ve read blog posts on writing, asked fellow writers and, of course, written stories myself.

There are Certain Keys To Writing a story. You should totally check it out.

Guidelines For Better Story Writing

1. Write In One Sitting

Write the first draft of your story in as short a period as could be allowed. In case you're writing a short story, attempt to write it in one sitting. In case you're writing a novel, attempt to write it in one season (three months).

Try not to stress excessively over plotting or outlining out in advance. You can do that once you know you have a story to tell in any case. Your first draft is a discovery procedure. After which it would experience re-writes before achieving perfection. Actually there's no perfect story though.

2. Build up Your Protagonist

Stories are about protagonists, and on the off chance that you don't have a good protagonists, you won't have a good story. The basic element for each protagonist is that they should decide.
Victor Frankl stated, "An individual is a choosing being." Your protagonist must make adecision to get himself into whatever wreckage he gets into in your story, and in like manner, he must get to an emergency point and choose to get himself out of the chaos.

To additionally build up your protagonist, utilize other character models like the protagonist nemesis, or a best friend character that uncovers the protagonist milder side..

3. Create Suspense and Drama

To create suspense, set up a dramatic question. A dramatic question is something like, “Is he going to make it?” or, “Is he going to get the love of his life?”
By putting your protagonist’s fate in doubt, you make the reader ask, What happens next?

MUST READ >> JOSS WHEDON TOP WRITING TIPS

Note: To do this well, you need to carefully restrict the flow of information to the reader. Nothing destroys drama like over-sharing.

4. Show Scenes, Don’t Tell

Honestly, the saying “show, don’t tell” is overused. However, when placed next to the step above, it becomes very effective. When something interesting happens in your story that changes the fate of your character, don’t tell us about it. Show the scene! By description.

Your readers have a right to see the best parts of the story play out in front of them. Show the interesting parts of your story, and tell the rest.

5. Write Good Dialogue

Good dialogue comes from two things: intimate knowledge of your characters and lots of rewriting. Each character must have a unique voice, and to make sure your characters all sound different, read each character’s dialogue and ask yourself, “Does this sound like my character?”
If your answer is no, then you have some rewriting to do. Also, with your speaker tags, try not to use anything but“ he said” and “she said.”

Speaker tags like “he exclaimed,” “she announced,” and “he spoke vehemently” are distracting and unnecessary.
The occasional “he asked” is fine, though.

The Wrap Up:

Now that I've shared this knowledge with you, why don't you SHARE it with someone else. Comment your thoughts.

Click HERE To Join THE WORDSMITH group On Whatsapp.

(1) (Reply)

Murder Mystery Games: TRIALS> DREADED LANDS / It's U Again (an Interesting Poem By Hilary Chika) / My Dope Pipe (international Day Against Drug Abuse)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.