Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,238 members, 7,815,321 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:46 AM

A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia (1750 Views)

Woman Flees Nigeria To Canada To Escape FGM / Earlier Appearance Of The Name Nigeria 1799 / Where Did The Colonial Masters Get The Name Nigeria From ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by uzomaeze(m): 7:59pm On Mar 18, 2007
hello nairalanders, well this post may look unusual why should we change our name as being nigerians to wazobians well nigeria was the name given to us by our colonial masters as a matter of fact Lord Lugards mistress (girlfriend) gave the name to us it looks very foreign and maybe that is the reason why we have too many things that are wrong , no hard feelings just a suggestion i believe it may be a good idea considering the fact that[b] waziobia [/b] brings us all together , so can i say fellow waziobians cool
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by sisimose(f): 8:01pm On Mar 18, 2007
because they told you Nigeria consist of only Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo

i say the problem is not the name , if we must change it for any reason then it has to be some thing that every Nigerian will be happy with.
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by uzomaeze(m): 9:23pm On Mar 18, 2007
sisimose:

because they told you Nigeria consist of only Yoruba, Hausa and Igbo

i say the problem is not the name , if we must change it for any reason then it has to be some thing that every Nigerian will be happy with.
i see no reason why we can't change the name Congo DRC did it and it worked for them dont forget the name formely given to them was zaire, i believe the name wazobia looks more approachable, the point is good
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by swing4real(m): 11:28pm On Mar 18, 2007
The Wazobia word means come in Yoruba,Hausa and Igbo. Have you consider what the other people that are not of the above communities will think about it? Don´t you think they will feel left out or something so why don´t you think of another name instead.
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by uzomaeze(m): 5:03pm On Mar 19, 2007
well taught of that but i guess it is popular among us
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by omogenaija(f): 4:44am On Jun 27, 2007
i dont agree b/c not all nigerians r yoruba , igbo, or hausa
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by doncartel: 12:42am On Jun 28, 2007
What about Federal Republic of Ooduaarewandigbo
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by omogenaija(f): 12:47am On Jun 28, 2007
doncartel:

What about Federal Republic of Ooduaarewandigbo

thats more worst than wazobia undecided
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by hannydarl(f): 12:15pm On Jun 30, 2007
Change it to REPUBLIC of BIAFRA grin
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by oziomatv(m): 1:30pm On Dec 23, 2007
uzomaeze:

hello nairalanders, well this post may look unusual why should we change our name as being nigerians to wazobians well nigeria was the name given to us by our colonial masters as a matter of fact Lord Lugards mistress (girlfriend) gave the name to us it looks very foreign and maybe that is the reason why we have too many things that are wrong , no hard feelings just a suggestion i believe it may be a good idea considering the fact that[b] waziobia [/b] brings us all together , so can i say fellow waziobians cool

I've been thinking of that name since,not even a legal wife, a prostitute as I may classified her, who knows in what mood they were when such a name came to her mind.
     WAZOBIA may sound better since it's derives from the 3 major languages well spoken here. not that we're counting others out.
        let see if the name will brings us closer to be one black nation.
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by grafikdon: 1:56pm On Dec 23, 2007
Chei! My people you're all very good comedians. This is pretty much like spraying air freshener to kill the stench of poop instead of flushing the friggin' toilet. . . Wazobia ko Osanobua ni. grin

Oh, I have a new name. . . Mistakia, we are Mistakians.
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by toshmann(m): 9:39pm On Dec 23, 2007
hannydarl:

Change it to REPUBLIC of BIAFRA grin

grin grin grin grin grin
come to think of it, where did the name biafra come from?

grafikdon:

Oh, I have a new name. . . Mistakia, we are Mistakians.

grin grin grin grin grin
prince grafikdon cheesy
u go kill me grin grin grin grin

hey , what of calamitians grin grin grin
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by tamme: 11:58pm On Jul 15, 2009
i dont agree b/c not all nigerians r yoruba , igbo, or hausa

true
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by topsy25(m): 10:14am On Jul 16, 2009
omogenaija:

i don't agree b/c not all nigerians r yoruba , igbo, or hausa

I don't believe people will look at it that way. The name "wazobia" might have been curved out of the 3 major tribe in the country, but it has been generally accepted as a unifying name by all undecided
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by IFELEKE(m): 12:58pm On Jul 16, 2009
wazobia though generally accepted is not that unifying.
One of the problems we face as a nation is the bickerings(genuine or not) of minority ethnic groups on perputual neglect and continous dominance by the major three who make up wazobia so,changing the name to affirm this will amount to commiting a political suicide one which can break the nation into pieces.
So poster,Forget It!
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by AndreUweh(m): 8:57pm On Jul 16, 2009
The name of our country should remain NIGERIA. It does not matter if it was given to us by F. Lugard's partner or not. Great Britain was a name given to the Britons by the Romans. The Romans called it Grand Britanica, Grand Britannia which means the great wall. It has remained so till this day.
Change of name of a country does not bring a change in the attitude of people nor improve the lots of people. From Congo Leopoldville to Zaire and now to Congo DR. What has change of name of the country brought to the Congolese?.
Re: A Need To Change The Name Nigeria To Wazobia by Beaf: 7:40pm On Jul 17, 2009
Wazobia is just another expression for oppression. There are 250+ cultures in Nigeria. . . And we're to name the country after just 3?
The suggestion is extremly stupid because it looks down on other Nigerians. This is the most annoying thing I've heard today.

. . .Having vented my spleen, its a good topic. grin
Nigeria needs renaming precisely for the reasons you've mentioned, but I feel we should name it after the smallest ethnic group in the country, whoever they might be.

(1) (Reply)

Traditional Chieftaincy Titles: Do We Need Them? / 10 Astonishing Facts You Never Knew About The Great Wall Of China / Why Do People Worship Fulani In Nigeria?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 24
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.