Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,048 members, 7,825,341 topics. Date: Sunday, 12 May 2024 at 12:00 PM

Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid - Jobs/Vacancies (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Jobs/Vacancies / Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid (20718 Views)

Top 10 Common Job Hunting Mistakes / Top Interview Mistakes You Should Avoid / Interview Mistakes That Make Nigerian Graduates Look Unqualified (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Gettreadyy(m): 9:29am On May 19, 2018
24hoursreporter:
I am sure you don’t need a soothsayer to know that the Labour market is very competitive. This is due the number of unemployed graduates out there. However, sometimes you get relief when you receive an interview invitation. But it is really disappointing when the whole process is not successful. Sometimes, job seekers unconsciously ruined their own interview because of certain mistakes. Therefore, this article will educate our readers on the 7 common job interview mistakes to avoid.

Ordinarily, when a candidate is invited for an interview, he/she is one step ahead of getting the job. But one innocent mistake can change everything. I remember how I failed my first interview woefully. It was a terrible experience and I wouldn’t want any job seeker to have similar experience. This is why we have come up with this write up on 7 common job interview mistakes to avoid.

List of 7 Common job Interview Mistakes To Avoid

Below are the 7 common job interview mistakes to avoid. Your next interview will land you your dream job, if you avoid these mistakes.

Dressing Shabbily
Your dressing code is an important factor recruiters consider while interviewing candidates. Though you have to dress in accordance with the position you are applying for, but try to be formal and professional. Your worst mistake is to wear an informal dressing to an interview. It will make you look unkempt and lost your confident.

Late Arrival
The easiest way to ruin your interview is to arrive late. Lateness is definitely a good way to piss your interviewers. Try as much as possible to be punctual in any interview as it is the you are creating about yourself. As a matter of fact, when you are late for an interview, it is an indication that you are not serious. This is definitely the first step in failing your interview.

Showing Off

Showing off is among the common job interview mistakes to avoid. No matter how qualified and smart you are, try to keep cool and remain humble. Priding yourself too high is an indication that you won’t take instruction. Actually, you don’t need to show yourself before an interview knows that you are good. So, the more prideful you are, the more the interview tries to get you out of the link. And no organization certainly want to work with pride people. You see! always keep it cool.

Presenting False Resume Facts
This is another area where most job interview candidates are thrown out of the race. What job seekers fail to understand is that recruiters will always outsmart their moves. This is why they will present to you a form to fill all the details in your resume. Guess what? if there is a slight variation from what you presented on your CV, Boom! you are out the game.

Using Phone During an Interview
I mean no disrespect, but some interview candidates are really funny. Some of them actually use their phones while the interview is going on. This is a pure indication of indiscipline, lack of devotion to work and above all lack of diligent. Therefore, if you really need that job, don’t answer any call. In fact, activate your phone on silent mode until you leave the interview venue.

Talking Too Much
Try as much as possible to talk less. In fact, go straight to the point and stop bugging your interviewer with unnecessary details. The downside of talking too much in an interview is that you end up spoiling the nice things you said earlier with controversial statements. Just give a straight answer without details except you are required to do otherwise.

Lack of Passion
Recruiters need people who are very passionate about the job. So, try to be very passionate and eager during the interview. You may be considered based on this. No employer will want to engage a staff that is clearly not passionate about the job.

These are the common job interview mistakes to avoid in your next interview. These mistakes have caused many people their chances of getting juicy offers after getting so close. Don’t fall victim to these mistakes, watch out for them in your next interview.

Check 24hoursreporter for related posts

dude, work on ur english
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by 24hoursreporter: 9:57am On May 19, 2018
blessingsonflee:
I have heard of a story or 2

Guy, it is possible for some candidates to unconsciously spill out the name of their insider connection. In fact, i know of a guy who made that mistake, though he was still employed due to the influence of his inside contacts. But immediately the guy that brought him in left the system, he was retrenched.

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by segrinto(m): 10:10am On May 19, 2018
Avoid fart too cheesy cheesy grin grin

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Kingkevin: 10:13am On May 19, 2018
U funny die.

Jeezuzpick:
8. Not knowing somebody who is "somebody" in the Company.

This is by far the worst offence of all, as far as Naija is concerned.

Having ensured that you have avoided no 1-7 above, not knowing somebody means you are most likely wasting the interview panel's time, and, more importantly, your own time.
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Kingkevin: 10:14am On May 19, 2018
Yes o.
Alejoc:
grin cheesy... Don't go in on empty stomach!
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Kingkevin: 10:19am On May 19, 2018
After all this, the salary won't b more than 30,000 naira.

Rubbish.

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by 24hoursreporter: 10:21am On May 19, 2018
Kingkevin:
After all this, the salary won't b more than 30,000 naira.

Rubbish.

LOL! guy take am easy now. You have to start from somewhere.

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by DonPikko: 10:27am On May 19, 2018
Shina500:
What count most during an interview is your work experience.
true

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by AlfaSeltzer(m): 10:32am On May 19, 2018
When a company is really looking urgently for a candidate for a very important position, the most important thing for them is whether the person is competent enough to do the job.
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by ntebong: 10:36am On May 19, 2018
At Chesroc, we believe that a highly skilled workforce in a conducive work environment that promotes and rewards continuous learning, will facilitate the achievement of business goals.

We are therefore committed to:

Fostering a work environment that provides personal and professional development opportunities for staff to maximize their potentials.
Developing employee competencies and preparing them to assume greater responsibilities within the company.
Encouraging a tradition of continuous learning and private initiatives for personal and professional development of staff.
Facilitating and encouraging a strong commitment to the development of human resources through work assignments, on-the-job experience, focused training and development.

Vacancy
Operator Trainer / Supervisor
Minimum Standards:
5 Years supervisory experience
Ability to analyze, design, and implement process modifications
Meets all requirements for the Offshore Production Supervisor.
Minimum of a 2nd Class Honors University degree in Process/ Mechanical/ Petroleum/ Chemical Engineering.
Approximately 8 to 12 years relevant experience.
Membership of SPE, NSE, COREN etc.
Good organizational and management skills.
Ability to work with minimal supervision.
Good interpersonal and communication (verbal & written) skills.
Good leadership and mentoring skills.
Conversant with the use of Microsoft Office Tools.
Ability to speak French will be an added advantage
Main Responsibilities:
Responsible for the safe and efficient running of all the rig operations.
Ensures that all operations are carried out in compliance to the QHSE system & policies.
Coach and train subordinates and monitor training requirements compliance
Maintains cordial relations with clients, contractors and JV partners.
Ensures operations are carried out as team effort with subordinates being adequately motivated to carry out their individual responsibilities effectively; coordinating departmental activities to ensure high quality service is delivered to the client.
Drives implementation and promotion of QHSE policies and procedures on the rig; actively participate in local loss prevention programs with specified company standards.
Responsible for the continual improvement of operations
Ensures that all administrative duties and reporting are done in an accurate and timely manner.
Responsible for ensuring his/her and any of his/her subordinates safety during operations.
Daily Production Activities Reporting, Gas Volume Calculation from Gas Charts
Laboratory Analysis of crude oil, produced water and gas etc

APPLY NOW
Mechanical Trainer / Supervisor
Minimum Standards:
Minimum of a 2nd Class Honors University degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering.
Approximately 7 to 10 years working experience.
Membership of NSE, COREN etc.
Knowledge of Electrical/Electronics/Mechanical Engineering.
Ability to identify hazards in the process of job execution.
Ability to read and interpret engineering drawings.
Ability to supervise maintenance contracts.
Good interpersona…

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Tunagee(m): 10:37am On May 19, 2018
Jeezuzpick:
8. Not knowing somebody who is "somebody" in the Company.

This is by far the worst offence of all, as far as Naija is concerned.

Having ensured that you have avoided no 1-7 above, not knowing somebody means you are most likely wasting the interview panel's time, and, more importantly, your own time.

Thank u for this comment. If an interviewee likes, do all those things mentioned, if he or she does not know anybody in the organisation, na wasted effort. A lady friend went for an interview in GLO some years back, performed very well due to her experience with MTN where I also worked then. She said they asked her if she knew anybody and she said she only knows Jesus. The interviewers laughed very loudly and said they would get back to her. That was the end. Dey there dey rap trash. This is Nigeria.

Secondly, I use to have an aunt who was working for Nigerian LNG then, i was working for MTN as a contract staff;and she told me point blank that permanent positions at NLNG is for the high and mighty/political cabals/ FG candidates and so on, I should not bother applying as permanent. Leave story abeg!!!!

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Tunagee(m): 10:42am On May 19, 2018
24hoursreporter:

Brother, connection actually works better in the Government sector. In the private sector, your skills, ability and smartness speaks for you. No matter who is bringing you in, there will show you the exit door out of the company if you are not competent. So, people still applies these rules and get good job. Don't give up just yet bro, there is always light at the end of the tunnel, it is an established fact.

U are not being realistic! I've worked for multinationals all my life. Its ''who know who'' except u as an ordinary candidate who does not know anybody but has some special skills like data analytics, very high computer, technical and engineering skills; even at that pray heavily against politics.

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by JARUSHUB: 11:41am On May 19, 2018
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by kingchris30(m): 11:51am On May 19, 2018
24hoursreporter:

Hey bro, this is not true. I know of several persons that have gotten jobs in top notch companies without knowing anybody.
until I get mine, I don't belivit

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by bobo1579(m): 12:19pm On May 19, 2018
24hoursreporter:

Hey bro, this is not true. I know of several persons that have gotten jobs in top notch companies without knowing anybody.

often times than not, that's case
you have to know somebody
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Johnson4gud(m): 2:16pm On May 19, 2018
DELETED
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Morayo1306: 3:40pm On May 19, 2018
Thanks for sharing.
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Omobada(m): 3:44pm On May 19, 2018
"Talking too much" that's the one I just made today. My attention was called early though. ..Expecting the result

1 Like

Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Feranchek(m): 3:48pm On May 19, 2018
24hoursreporter:

Oga, nor be lie oo. Seriously some people nor dey think well oo. I am talking based on what i saw ooo

What rubbish!!!! Dem suppose use bouncers kick that kain pesin ass outta the room!
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by YOLO1(m): 4:16pm On May 19, 2018
Let me get the interview first. Then I will come back to read this
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Greyworld: 7:06pm On May 19, 2018
24hoursreporter:

Yea. but what is the percentage?
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by Vetidarl12: 7:39pm On May 19, 2018
Also, don't eat hot beans 48 hours to the interview time.
Just find hard AKPU and swallow; it will surely sustain.
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by SATIELTSGRETOEF(m): 9:08pm On May 19, 2018
Please I cannot register my account on the site. It is showing error. In fact there is no space for password. Please what do I do?
ntebong:
At Chesroc, we believe that a highly skilled workforce in a conducive work environment that promotes and rewards continuous learning, will facilitate the achievement of business goals.

Fostering a work environment that provides personal and professional development opportunities for staff to maximize their potentials.
Developing employee competencies and preparing them to assume greater responsibilities within the company.
Encouraging a tradition of continuous learning and private initiatives for personal and professional development of staff.
Facilitating and encouraging a strong commitment to the development of human resources through work assignments, on-the-job experience, focused training and development.

Vacancy
Minimum Standards:
Minimum of a 2nd Class Honors University degree in Process/ Mechanical/ Petroleum/ Chemical Engineering.
Main Responsibilities:
Ensures that all operations are carried out in compliance to the QHSE system & policies.
Ensures operations are carried out as team effort with subordinates being adequately motivated to carry out their individual responsibilities effectively; coordinating departmental activities to ensure high quality service is delivered to the client.
Drives implementation and promotion of QHSE policies and procedures on the rig; actively participate in local loss prevention programs with specified company standards.
Ensures that all administrative duties and reporting are done in an accurate and timely manner.
Responsible for ensuring his/her and any of his/her subordinates safety during operations.

APPLY NOW
Minimum Standards:
Minimum of a 2nd Class Honors University degree in Mechanical/Electrical Engineering.
Good interpersona…
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by ntebong: 10:26pm On May 20, 2018
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by SATIELTSGRETOEF(m): 9:08pm On May 19
Please I cannot register my account on the site. It is showing error. In fact there is no space for password. Please what do I do?
ntebong:

Vacancy
Minimum Standards:
Main Responsibilities:

APPLY NOW
Minimum Standards:
Good interpersona…
(Quote) (Report) (Like) (Share)

Go to the company website and submit your application
Re: Common Job Interview Mistakes To Avoid by ntebong: 10:28pm On May 20, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

How ASUU Strike Almost Made Me Fall For Neolife Scam (formerly GNLD). / Undecided Over Two Jobs Offers!!! Please Advice / The Best Way To Get A Job In Lagos

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.