Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,198 members, 7,811,521 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 01:38 PM

Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? - Phones - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Phones / Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? (1602 Views)

Which Is Better Btw The Infinix 18:9 Phone And Tecno 18:9 Phone / Glo Jumbo Gives You ₦200,000 Bonus, Here Are 18 Things You Need To Know / Homtom S16: The Cheapest Android Phone With 18:9 Edge-less Display (N23,315) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Kalapizim(m): 4:56am On May 21, 2018
Well, I so much want to go with the “solid Yes” as the answer but for now, I’ll keep myself on the hold since it’ll be too early to judge. But with Infinix already releasing three device (Hot S3, Hot 6 and Hot 6 Pro) in 18:9 aspect ratio, it certainly hinting towards this screen type been here to stay.
Not just for the content, but for the usability as well. This aspect ratio makes more sense than any. This new screen aspect ratio already seems to address the user’s dreams of having a big screen phone that doesn’t feel so big on the hands and fit right into the pocket. Let’s debate this!

Do you think 18:9 Aspect Display screens are here to stay

you can also join in here http://www.infinix.club/forum/196/413573
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Psychodavidovic(m): 5:22am On May 21, 2018
If you had said 19:9 then i would have said yes.

Tecno and Infinix are late to the party and Itel is still outside the gate. grin

3 Likes

Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by lanre316: 6:04am On May 21, 2018
Samsung started this, others follow. To answer your question - it's s here to stay.

Enjoying my Redmi 5 plus with gorgeous 18:9 display.

5 Likes

Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Kalapizim(m): 6:07am On May 21, 2018
Psychodavidovic:
If you had said 19:9 then i would have said yes.

Tecno and Infinix are late to the party and Itel is still outside the gate. grin

How many of these brands have as much as three devices running 18:9 ?
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Psychodavidovic(m): 7:33am On May 21, 2018
Kalapizim:
How many of these brands have as much as three devices running 18:9 ?

Xioami
Samsung
Huawei
Oppo
Leagoo
Homtom
Oukitel
Nokia
Cubot

Should i continue ?

1 Like

Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Nobody: 8:33am On May 21, 2018
Psychodavidovic:

Xioami
Samsung
Huawei
Oppo
Leagoo
Homtom
Oukitel
Nokia
Cubot

Should i continue ?

S9 plus has 18.5:9. The point is here is everyone is moving away from the traditional 16:9 to a new aspect ratio to accommodate a bigger screen in a small factor. Whether it is 18.5:9 (Samsung flagships), 19.5:9 (iPhone x, LG g7 thinkQ, etc), 19:9 (OnePlus 6), 18:9 (Sony Xperia xz2), 18.7:9 (Huawei p20 pro). The bottom line is to move away from regular 16:9 to around 18-19:9 to accommodate bigger displays.
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by jetz(m): 8:53am On May 21, 2018
greenhulk:

S9 plus has 18.5:9. The point is here is everyone is moving away from the traditional 16:9 to a new aspect ratio to accommodate a bigger screen in a small factor. Whether it is 18.5:9 (Samsung flagships), 19.5:9 (iPhone x, LG g7 thinkQ, etc), 19:9 (OnePlus 6), 18:9 (Sony Xperia xz2), 18.7:9 (Huawei p20 pro). The bottom line is to move away from regular 16:9 to around 18-19:9 to accommodate bigger displays.
gbam u just said it all summarized and capped

1 Like

Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Kalapizim(m): 9:21am On May 21, 2018
greenhulk:

gbam ! you are in total sync with the subject, the traditional 16:9 is no longer on the list of factors to consider as users now prefer to go for 18:9 screens.
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Psychodavidovic(m): 2:09pm On May 21, 2018
greenhulk:

Well in that case, you are right; they are here to stay. grin

1 Like

Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Morganaliticus: 2:24pm On May 21, 2018
Please can someone educate me on the differences and how to Identify either, thanks.
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Kalapizim(m): 5:10pm On May 21, 2018
Morganaliticus:
Please can someone educate me on the differences and how to Identify either, thanks.
18:9 have wider screens while still retraining their build, it varies across devices. lemme call prof greenhulk to deliver a paper on this.
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Mystiq25(m): 8:53pm On May 21, 2018
I hate 18:9 display especially on 5.5", it makes the phone look smaller. I like big screen that is why I prefer 16:9 display.
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Nobody: 9:20pm On May 21, 2018
Kalapizim:
18:9 have wider screens while still retraining their build, it varies across devices. lemme call prof greenhulk to deliver a paper on this.

18:9 have narrower but taller screens. 18:9 means the height will be exactly twice the size of the width. So 18;9 phones tend to be taller than 16:9 phones with same screen size. Phones with 6 inch and above are unusable with 1 hand on 16:9 ratio because they are wider, but are easier to hold with 18;9.

This is why most phones coming out now can have 5.8 to over 6 inch display and still easier to hold, unlike before when 5.2 inch was the standard and 5.5 inch the plus versions. For example, Samsung galaxy note 5 had 5.7 inch 16:9 aspect ratio. This phone is very big and if u don't have big hands it might be difficult to use with 1 hand. But now galaxy s9 which is supposed to be the smaller version has 5.8 inch (bigger display than note 5) and still easier to hold. And the Note 8 has a massive 6.3 inch display but almost the same width as the note 5 so easy to hold. Thanks to the 18:9 aspect ratio. Just imagine if the note 8 has a 16:9 aspect ratio... at 6.3 inch display that thing will not be convenient to hold at all.

Another good example is Infinix note 3. That phone has a 6 inch display and very big, not comfortable to hold with 1 hand due to the 16:9 aspect ratio. Now compare that with the newly released hot 6 pro which has the same 6 inch but easier to hold because of the 18:9 aspect ratio. So basically what they do is reduce the width and add whatever they chop off from the width to the height.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by sureinfo: 6:16am On May 22, 2018
Kalapizim:
Well, I so much want to go with the “solid Yes” as the answer but for now, I’ll keep myself on the hold since it’ll be too early to judge. But with Infinix already releasing three device (Hot S3, Hot 6 and Hot 6 Pro) in 18:9 aspect ratio, it certainly hinting towards this screen type been here to stay.
Not just for the content, but for the usability as well. This aspect ratio makes more sense than any. This new screen aspect ratio already seems to address the user’s dreams of having a big screen phone that doesn’t feel so big on the hands and fit right into the pocket. Let’s debate this!

Do you think 18:9 Aspect Display screens are here to stay

you can also join in here http://www.infinix.club/forum/196/413573

i think I will second that yes too, cos even the new camon CM, camon X too are all 18:9 ratio
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by lanre316: 8:00am On May 22, 2018
Mystiq25:
I hate 18:9 display especially on 5.5", it makes the phone look smaller. I like big screen that is why I prefer 16:9 display.

Sorry. But in the future, most if not all, smartphones with have taller 18:9 ratio. You better grab and enjoy all 16:9 phones you can before they become endangered species
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Abdstrakt(m): 8:52am On May 22, 2018
Kalapizim:
you mean taller screens
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Abdstrakt(m): 8:55am On May 22, 2018
lanre316:

Sorry. But in the future, most if not all, smartphones with have taller 18:9 ratio. You better grab and enjoy all 16:9 phones you can before they become endangered species
I still likev16:9 displays. 16:9 with minimal bezels is still a yes for me
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Nobody: 9:03am On May 22, 2018
Abdstrakt:

I still likev16:9 displays. 16:9 with minimal bezels is still a yes for me

Nothing wrong with 16:9, just that once u start going above 5.5 inches it starts to get too big to hold on one hand. Just look at all the infinix note series up to note 3 that has 6 inch display but looks too big. Now compare to hot 6 pro with 6 inches in a more compact body and see the difference. Which one is easier to hold? With the hot 6 now having s 6 inch display then expect the next note to have at least 6.4 inch display. Do u think k they could achieve that with 16:9 aspect ratio?
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Abdstrakt(m): 9:52am On May 22, 2018
greenhulk:

Nothing wrong with 16:9, just that once u start going above 5.5 inches it starts to get too big to hold on one hand. Just look at all the infinix note series up to note 3 that has 6 inch display but looks too big. Now compare to hot 6 pro with 6 inches in a more compact body and see the difference. Which one is easier to hold? With the hot 6 now having s 6 inch display then expect the next note to have at least 6.4 inch display. Do u think k they could achieve that with 16:9 aspect ratio?
Did you put the bezels into consideration? Imagine the hot 6pro with massive top and bottom bezels Ala the note 3, would it be as compact and easier to hold?
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Nobody: 11:10am On May 22, 2018
Abdstrakt:

Did you put the bezels into consideration? Imagine the hot 6pro with massive top and bottom bezels Ala the note 3, would it be as compact and easier to hold?

It's not just about the bezels. The note 3 is wide which makes it difficult to hold with one hand. The bezels are on the top and bottom and not on the sides. The wider a phone becomes, the more difficult it is to hold with one hand. Hot 6 pro has about the same height as the note 3 with minimum top and bottom bezels and same 6 inch. Why is that? It is because the height is exactly twice the width, hence 18:9. When u divide 18 by 9 u get 2. Wheras for 16:9 the height is not exactly twice the width. The hot 6 pro is able to have a narrower profile because the withd was reduced and the amount of inches cut off from the width is added to the height to maintain the same 6 inch but in a narrower body.

Compare the note 3 and hot 6 pro below, not much difference in top and bottom bezels, but the not 6 is narrower and they added to it's height to maintain the 6 inch display.

1 Like

Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Abdstrakt(m): 11:53am On May 22, 2018
greenhulk:

It's not just about the bezels. The note 3 is wide which makes it difficult to hold with one hand. The bezels are on the top and bottom and not on the sides. The wider a phone becomes, the more difficult it is to hold with one hand. Hot 6 pro has about the same height as the note 3 with minimum top and bottom bezels and same 6 inch. Why is that? It is because the height is exactly twice the width, hence 18:9. When u divide 18 by 9 u get 2. Wheras for 16:9 the height is not exactly twice the width. The hot 6 pro is able to have a narrower profile because the withd was reduced and the amount of inches cut off from the width is added to the height to maintain the same 6 inch but in a narrower body.

Compare the note 3 and hot 6 pro below, not much difference in top and bottom bezels, but the not 6 is narrower and they added to it's height to maintain the 6 inch display.

Now i get it. well explained.
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Nobody: 12:04pm On May 22, 2018
Abdstrakt:

Now i get it. well explained.

Glad u understand. The downside of 18:9 is that it does not work well with smaller displays like say 5 inch. I doubt u can easily see a 5 inch phone with 18:9 aspect ratio because the phone will become too narrow. Anything less than 5.5 inch won't look good with. But then everyone wants a bigger display and these days the minimum display is now around 5.7 inch. Even the Samsung Galaxy s series have moved from standard 5.1 inch (galaxy s5 to s7) to massive 5.8 inch as standard. Thanks to the new aspect ratio.
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Abdstrakt(m): 12:57pm On May 22, 2018
greenhulk:

Glad u understand. The downside of 18:9 is that it does not work well with smaller displays like say 5 inch. I doubt u can easily see a 5 inch phone with 18:9 aspect ratio because the phone will become too narrow. Anything less than 5.5 inch won't look good with. But then everyone wants a bigger display and these days the minimum display is now around 5.7 inch. Even the Samsung Galaxy s series have moved from standard 5.1 inch (galaxy s5 to s7) to massive 5.8 inch as standard. Thanks to the new aspect ratio.
At this rate one handed operation will be a thing of the past however big your hand might be. Some of us have less than big hands reason why I've had an iPhone 6s for over a yr
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Prichere: 3:25pm On May 24, 2018
Yes, I think we are going to see more phones with this aspect ratio. In fact, I think we will soon be moving to 19:9 or better. All companies are working to eliminate the bezels. Apple did it with the iPhone X, Tecno with the Camon X and Camon X Pro.
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by goodluckebi(m): 10:22pm On May 24, 2018
Psychodavidovic:

Well in that case, you are right; they are here to stay. grin
yea
I tried the iPhone x it was easy to use with one hand, also tried camon Cm it was quite difficult to handle
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by donbenie(m): 10:00am On May 25, 2018
lanre316:
Samsung started this, others follow. To answer your question - it's s here to stay.

Enjoying my Redmi 5 plus with gorgeous 18:9 display.
Samsung did not start the new aspect ratio,am VERY sure the LG G6 came out with it before the Galaxy S8 last year..
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by donbenie(m): 10:05am On May 25, 2018
Mystiq25:
A traditional 5.5' screen should be around the 5.9' range on the new aspect ratios,so you'll need to adjust your screen size choice..
Re: Are 18:9 Aspect Display Here To Stay ? by Samson1851(m): 6:21pm On May 27, 2018

(1) (Reply)

Infinix Hot 5 / Cost Of Tecno Povouir 2.uk Used / Oppo Reno Specifications & Price In Nigeria

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 61
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.