Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,112 members, 7,814,904 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 10:46 PM

Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed (5223 Views)

Femi Adesina To Nigerians: ‘go And Fight Pipeline Vandals If You Want Electricit / Secession - Option B - Creation Of Southern Nigerian State / Wikileaks Cables: Shell's Grip On Nigerian State Revealed (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by knotty(m): 8:12pm On May 26, 2010
Will it interest you to know that Yam was placed on the Export Prohibition List by Customs?

Which effectively meant it was illegal to export Yam just like it is still illegal to export Maize, Scrap Metal etc.

But that ban had been lifted because yam is aplenty in Nigeria and there is growing international demand for the commodity.

Do you think Government is completely insensitive to have done this?
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by paddylo1(m): 8:20pm On May 26, 2010
Abeg, leave rice matter out of this. Face the yam problem wey you bring on your small head.

Lol. . small head indeed. . i dont even want to get involved too much in this argument, cause Mekusxyz is either being dishonest or dis-ingenuous

If i had my way Nigeria would earn 60% of its export money through Agriculture
The money will go directly to the farmers after the Govt takes its taxes,and the lives of most Nigerians will be much better

Ps majority of Nigerians earn their living from Agriculture. . .so mekusxyz should advocate more agric exports not less,if he had half a brain
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by Nobody: 8:26pm On May 26, 2010
seems the only time our erudite tribaist is able to make a halfway coherent argument is when he is citing obscure events and pictures as a basis for tribal superioroity
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by Katsumoto: 8:50pm On May 26, 2010
oyb:

seems the only time our erudite tribaist is able to make a halfway coherent argument is when he is citing obscure events and pictures as a basis for tribal superioroity

That is his forte and the reason why he is champion in that segment is because no one in his/her right mind will spend his/her time researching on totally redundant, irrelevant, and caustic subjects.
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by Katsumoto: 9:10pm On May 26, 2010
~Bluetooth:

roflmao, sometimes i just dont know how that guy reason.perhaps,i wont blame him since he doesnt eat balance diet.

LWKMD grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by mekuszyx: 11:02pm On May 26, 2010
knotty:

Will it interest you to know that Yam was placed on the Export Prohibition List by Customs?

Which effectively meant it was illegal to export Yam just like it is still illegal to export Maize, Scrap Metal etc.

But that ban had been lifted because yam is aplenty in Nigeria and there is growing international demand for the commodity.

Do you think Government is completely insensitive to have done this?

Nigeria has zero food security (thus, 100% food insecurity). FACT. This was evident in the recent protest by food suppliers and the rippling effect on the entire nation. Thus, the thinking that we have started producing more yams than we usually did may not justify exporting the yams when clearly the smallest deviation from the existing production systems spells hunger and even starvation. I remember that Ethiopia once exported its excess corn to South Africa, only to have 35 million of its citizens starving to death the very next year and going cap in hand begging the UN for food aid. Reasonable countries plan their food security system not by exporting the little they have, but by processing any little excess for longer shelf life. A sizable number of Nigerians go hungry and only self deniers will refute that. We have an abundance of non-food raw materials we could export to diversify our economy (though I still prefer some value added to any of those via processing, even if partial). By next year, I pray  we do not come back to this topic to analyse the price of yams in the local market.
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by Kobojunkie: 11:27pm On May 26, 2010
~Bluetooth:

roflmao, sometimes i just dont know how that guy reason.perhaps[b],i wont blame him since he doesnt eat balance diet.[/b]

That is funny!! grin cheesy grin cheesy
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by mekuszyx: 4:46am On May 27, 2010
Even the WB knows we have issues with food security in Nigeria, hence the credit facility.

Food Security: W’Bank Earmarks $45m for Nigeria, 2 Others
From Dele Ogbodo in Abuja, 05.27.2010

Fct

The Sector Leader, Sustainable Development of the World Bank in Nigeria, Mrs. Shobha Shetty yesterday said the bank has set aside the sum of $45 million credit for Agricultural Productivity Programme in three West African countries as part of its Global Agricultural and Food Security Programme for Africa.
The benefiting countries, she said, include Nigeria, Cote D’ Voire and Burkina Faso. She said "We are working with Agricultural Research Council of Nigeria basically to improve agricultural productivity in the three West African countries.”
She expressed optimism that the project will soon be approved by the Board of World Bank and then start implementation in few months time.

Shetty, spoke when she led a delegation of the World Bank team on a courtesy visit to the Minister of Agriculture and Rural Development, Mr. Sheik Abdullah and the Minister of State for Agriculture and Rural Development, Mr. Najeem Awodele in their office.
Underscoring the reason for the USD45 million credit and her visit to the minister, she said, the World Bank is ready to work with the ministry to help develop a workable proposals under the scheme.
She explained that Nigeria is expected to develop a National Agricultural Investment Plan as part of the process that the country endorsed last year.

Identifying the key challenge in Agricultural financing Nigeria, she said, "I think that the key challenge is for the Ministry of Agriculture to really have a well resourced and well costed investment that really identify the funding gap and how donors can align themselves to it."
However, she said the key issue was to improve agricultural productivity through knowledge support system, getting the right technology to the rural farmers and connecting linkages between researches and extension services in these countries. Beside improving life and contributing to food security, she said the World Bank intends to use the model for similar projects elsewhere in Africa.
She expressed happiness that the Fadama programme is on course in 12 states of the Federation while the Fadama 3 is also currently on in 35 states of the country and the Federal Capital Territory (FCT).
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by yeswecan(m): 8:38am On May 27, 2010
lol
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by redsun(m): 8:41am On May 27, 2010
But why is yam not into western menu like potato?
Re: Irony-Nigerian State Exports Yam To The Uk While Millions Of Nigerians Go Unfed by redsun(m): 8:49am On May 27, 2010
Everything african tend to be on the sideline even when they are naturally the best.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Yet Another National I.D. Card Scheme / We Need Newspapers Like 234next In Nigeria. Too Much Is At Stake. / Buhari Is Now In Cancer Center In Maryland USA?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.