Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,831 members, 7,810,198 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:12 PM

Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad (26793 Views)

DON'T LISTEN TO Anyone Who Discourages You From Travelling Abroad / Costly Mistakes To Avoid When Travelling Abroad / Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Opinionated: 4:12pm On May 23, 2018
Even though you might have substantial experience in international travel, at a time, you were a newbie. Perhaps, you haven’t had any scuffle with a customs agent in your many years of traveling. Or, you have friends looking forward to their first international trip. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares some important things to know before your first journey beyond the domestic terminals.

Learn the basics

You don’t need to be fluent in the local language of your destination, but endeavour to become familiar with this 4 essential information: the currency exchange rate; how to count to 10; how to say “yes” and “no”; and how to say “thank you”.

Do not be over-adventurous

Upon arrival in a new country, you are vulnerable to all sorts of errors and bad choices. Hence, you have to be very careful with the places you visit. Better to relax and do a bit of research when you arrive at your hotel before exploring things and places.

The visa process may be complicated

The visa application process may be more complicated and time-consuming than you’d expect, but think of it this way: as complicated as getting a passport in your own country can be, take that imposingly bureaucratic process and add in another country with a completely different set of laws, with limited staff working from a single embassy office. Given these circumstances, it’s a wonder that it isn’t harder to get a visa.

Plan accordingly

You may think your own home airport is a pretty busy place, but the world’s biggest international hubs — including Dubai International, London Heathrow, Hong Kong International and others take it to another level, with so many terminals, customs checkpoints, re-check-in and more. So, you get prepared and plan how you are going to navigate these airports depending on the country you are visiting.

Pack light

This will be the hardest thing about travel. There are a few harder urges to overcome than overpacking. Try as much as possible to resist the temptation of overpacking. Also, do not forget to pack your things in a well-secured luggage.

Source:
Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by phr0nesis(m): 5:01pm On May 23, 2018
1. Do not be overexcited

2. Don't ever think that is all going to be a bed of roses when you get there

3. Try not to break any law

4. Try not to take me seriously because even Portharcourt I never smell

95 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by afos002: 5:01pm On May 23, 2018
Opinionated:

Even though you might have substantial experience in international travel, at a time, you were a newbie. Perhaps, you haven’t had any scuffle with a customs agent in your many years of traveling. Or, you have friends looking forward to their first international trip. Jumia Travel, the leading online travel agency, shares some important things to know before your first journey beyond the domestic terminals.

Learn the basics

You don’t need to be fluent in the local language of your destination, but endeavour to become familiar with this 4 essential information: the currency exchange rate; how to count to 10; how to say “yes” and “no”; and how to say “thank you”.

Do not be over-adventurous

Upon arrival in a new country, you are vulnerable to all sorts of errors and bad choices. Hence, you have to be very careful with the places you visit. Better to relax and do a bit of research when you arrive at your hotel before exploring things and places.

The visa process may be complicated

The visa application process may be more complicated and time-consuming than you’d expect, but think of it this way: as complicated as getting a passport in your own country can be, take that imposingly bureaucratic process and add in another country with a completely different set of laws, with limited staff working from a single embassy office. Given these circumstances, it’s a wonder that it isn’t harder to get a visa.

Plan accordingly

You may think your own home airport is a pretty busy place, but the world’s biggest international hubs — including Dubai International, London Heathrow, Hong Kong International and others take it to another level, with so many terminals, customs checkpoints, re-check-in and more. So, you get prepared and plan how you are going to navigate these airports depending on the country you are visiting.

Pack light

This will be the hardest thing about travel. There are a few harder urges to overcome than overpacking. Try as much as possible to resist the temptation of overpacking. Also, do not forget to pack your things in a well-secured luggage.

Source:
Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by niqqa(m): 5:02pm On May 23, 2018
God I know my time is coming when I'll travel out of this shithole

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by directorXixXICK(m): 5:02pm On May 23, 2018
Should I follow these rules wen traveling to kano?

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Welrez(m): 5:02pm On May 23, 2018
Thanks for the info.
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by IMASTEX: 5:03pm On May 23, 2018
Informative
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by niqqa(m): 5:03pm On May 23, 2018
Me that haven't seen airplane at close range, the only airplane I have seen is when my phone is on airplane mode

67 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by PassionateSoul(m): 5:03pm On May 23, 2018
Lemme digress a bit. See eh, I'm looking for a girlfriend, if you're young beautiful smart and goal driven, holla me. Will be glad to hear from you.

4 Likes

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by BlackHatNaija: 5:03pm On May 23, 2018
Nice write up!
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 23, 2018
Noted.
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 5:03pm On May 23, 2018
niqqa:
You are a future president of Nigeria, nooo, you are not going anywhere grin

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 23, 2018
Also every newbie should know that travelling with a student visa means you should be strictly studying and may or may not work depending on the countries immigration laws, nature of the country and availability of jobs.

It's crazy how people travel with students visa and expect to get 9-5 job in a cozy office and park money with Ghana must go.

5 Likes

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 5:04pm On May 23, 2018
Have somebody waiting to pick you at the airport before you turn to nuisance and they deport your ass back right away. grin

4 Likes

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by 9isguy(m): 5:04pm On May 23, 2018
Thanks for this
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by sobmos(m): 5:09pm On May 23, 2018
I need help with relocating out of this country to either USA or Canada. I want to live and work. Any expert should pm me

2 Likes

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 5:16pm On May 23, 2018
watin concern me?
Buhari has made international travels difficult because of the crazy exchange rate.

e get visa wea i buy self but no money to travel. who's interested abeg i wan sell am
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:16pm On May 23, 2018
We can relate.......

Thanks Op!
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Hennepin: 5:18pm On May 23, 2018
It all depends on the kind of "travelling abroad" Is it for vacation or to escape from this shithole.
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Femidrummer: 5:18pm On May 23, 2018
Don’t forget to always ThankYou .
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by 3millionia: 5:19pm On May 23, 2018
How long does it take before a visa expires?
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Lonestar124: 5:21pm On May 23, 2018
Respect yourself by knowing when to speak or not especially if you're a Nigerian to avoid annoyance.

Don't familiarize.is very childish and may lands you in problem someday.in Nigeria they call it "I to know"

Don't give them foothold, they will turn it stronghold, they sees you as a barbarian that have come to explore their
modernization...Don't argue with them because you're not in your father's land

Try to be strict facially and despense smile on their face if necessary.

Be jovial to their officers no matter their hostility.

2 Likes

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Gboyee4fun(m): 5:23pm On May 23, 2018
Helpful, thanks op
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:24pm On May 23, 2018
3millionia:
How long does it take before a visa expires?
Immigrant visa takes 6 months.....
I am not sure about others.
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by sonnie10: 5:32pm On May 23, 2018
post=67814294:

Immigrant visa takes 6 months.....
I am not sure about others.

There are some visas that are up to ten years
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by millionboi2: 5:35pm On May 23, 2018
Make it here 1st
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by MANNABBQGRILLS: 5:36pm On May 23, 2018
sonnie10:

There are some visas that are up to ten years
I was actually thinking the question is asking when does the visa expire before you travel out of Nigeria....

As in how long you can still remain in Nigeria with your visa-stamped passport till you travel......

My immigrant visa is a permanent visa tho...it has no limit.
Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by Nobody: 5:38pm On May 23, 2018
niqqa:
bros, ah dey your back...

if u look back now sef, u fit sight me....

1 Like

Re: Things A Newbie Should Know About Travelling Abroad by ednut1(m): 5:38pm On May 23, 2018
Arriving abroad at night is depressing. From the plane u can see the well lit city. Den u rememeber ur own country and be like who curse us

11 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

Top 10 Vacation Destinations And Attractions In Nigeria / Accident Along Enugu/Port Harcourt Expressway, Victims Rushed To FMC Umuahia / Air Peace Commences Flight From Abuja To Ibadan (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 38
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.