Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,661 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:38 PM

7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians (22116 Views)

Strange Sexual Traditions That Are Still Practised In Africa / The Traditions Of Origin Of Ora People In Edo State / 7 Interesting Wedding Traditions That Are Peculiar To Different Countries (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 5:03pm On May 23, 2018
Colonization didn’t change Nigerians’ tradition that much. At least there are some traditions that are peculiar to Nigerians only. And you seldom find them in other parts of the world.

As a matter of fact, what I love most about our country is the fact that we don’t allow our educational qualification and exposure affect our traditions. This has been the reason why we survive different trials as a nation. However, this article will highlight the top 7 traditions that are peculiar to Nigerians.

Top 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians

Irrespective of where you live in Nigeria, you will definitely experience any of the following traditions.

#1 Having Three Weddings

Three weddings is one of the traditions that are peculiar to Nigerians. When you want to marry a lady, you will start with Introduction. This is a mini ceremony where food and drinks will be shared. The ceremony usually takes place at the bride’s place.

During this occasion, the family of the Groom will officially declare their intentions to the bride family. When the bride family accepts the proposal, food and drink will go on.

After the introduction, the traditional wedding otherwise known as engagement will set in. Though the traditional wedding requirements differ from one ethnic groups to another. However, some common rites are paying of bride price, carrying of wine, prostration, flogging etc. Remember, food and drinks will also be present during this occasion.

Finally, the Court, Christian or Muslim marriage depending on the couple’s religious belief. And all these three weddings involve sharing foods, drinks and other presents. Even the much hyped royal wedding was only one.

#2 Omugwo ( Otherwise known as After birth care)

Omugwo is another peculiar tradition among Nigerians. It is the care a mother-in-law gives to a daughter-in-law after birth. Although it is common among the Igbos, but it has cut across all tribes in Nigeria. In fact, there are instances when both couples mother will be around for an Omugwo.

#3 Child Dedication

Child dedication is among the 10 traditions that are peculiar to Nigerians. It is different from naming ceremony and varies from faith to faith. Generally, it involves thanking God for the life of the baby. It is a tradition that has come to stay in Nigeria.

#4 Spraying Money

Oh! you don’t know? Spraying money is definitely among the traditions that are peculiar to Nigerians. Have you heard of any other country around the world where they spray money during ceremonies?

You see both the rich and the poor spraying money on people dancing just to belong to a class. Even if their family is suffering at home, they will wear nice clothes and start showing off by spraying money. Phew!

#5 Greeting Elders

Greeting of Elders is a serious tradition in Nigeria. Depending on the tribe or ethnic group, females are required to kneel down when greeting their elderly ones. While males are expected to squat or prostrate before an elder.

Annoyingly, if you refuse to kneel down or prostrate to an elder, some culture may see you as a rude and prideful person. You are surprised right? Don’t be, that is what you see in a country where there are over 250 ethnic groups.

#6 Giving Things With Your Right Hands

Nigerians see it as a taboo for you to eat, hand over or collect things from people with left hand. It is actually a sign of disrespect in Nigeria for you to hand over something to an elder with left hand. So, if you are in Nigeria, take note of this, it is among the traditions that are peculiar to Nigerians.

#7 Switch On Generator 7pm at Night

Most people that use generator in Nigeria always on it by 7pm at night. It has become a tradition among most Nigerians and if you go to some neighbourhood, the sound of generators will almost deafen your ear.

Source: http://www.24hoursreporter.com/2018/05/23/7-traditions-peculiar-nigerians/

15 Likes 4 Shares

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Heavance(m): 5:20pm On May 23, 2018
Generator at 7pm wan kill me with laugh

49 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 5:21pm On May 23, 2018
Heavance:
Generator at 7pm wan kill me with laugh

LOL, but it is true now. It has become a tradition that most Nigerians on their Generator by 7pm

9 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by maxnedu11(m): 5:25pm On May 23, 2018
that generator by 7 pm is like a spell, some days I actually sit close to the generator and wait till 7pm.

66 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 5:28pm On May 23, 2018
maxnedu11:
that generator by 7 pm is like a spell, some days I actually sit close to the generator and wait till 7pm.

Yeah, if you come to my area now, guy, you can't even hear anything. Ooops! so so annoying

2 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Nobody: 5:54pm On May 23, 2018
Op forgot some Traditions
8. Nigerians will always visit beer parlor even if the Economy is dead
9. Nigerians will never stop Requesting for U.S Visa even if Trump calls dem Scum
10. Nigerians will always fight and abuse each other, but they are Avengers and Justice League on Social media
11. Nigerians will always React to any news, Good o, bad ooo
12. Nigerians will forever blame the Government for everything even their own personal Crimes
13. Nigerians will always start their sentence to a stranger with sorry o, "Abeg no vex o, Shey............
14. Nigerians will always Abuse each other at the ATM Queue

I am proud to be a Nigerian tho, Cos am High

55 Likes 8 Shares

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by simplemach(m): 5:55pm On May 23, 2018
lack of rule of law

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by blaise00700(m): 5:55pm On May 23, 2018
lol, OP you be joke.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by okomile(f): 5:56pm On May 23, 2018
True ooooooooo. I Dey floor Dey roll with laughter grin

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Robbin7(m): 5:56pm On May 23, 2018
I just dey wait make 7pm reach sef....

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by niqqa(m): 5:57pm On May 23, 2018
Greeting of elders
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by BlackHatNaija: 5:58pm On May 23, 2018
Answering a question with another question

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by segebase(m): 5:58pm On May 23, 2018
Tr
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Yinxies(f): 5:58pm On May 23, 2018
3 weddings

The couple will just be spending money endlessly

No wonders we have so many single ladies

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 5:59pm On May 23, 2018
Robbin7:
I just dey wait make 7pm reach sef....

Same here bro!
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by OboOlora(f): 5:59pm On May 23, 2018
Op, how about reacting? Linda Ikeji is pregnant, they react! Anita Joseph is old and haggard, they react!

Then they will use their last 100naira to buy data to abuse faceless trolls in social media
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by IMASTEX: 5:59pm On May 23, 2018
Nigeria for you

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Divay22(f): 6:00pm On May 23, 2018
24hoursreporter:

LOL, but it is true now. It has become a tradition that most Nigerians on their Generator by 7pm
And put it off by 10pm grin

9 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by greatjoshy(m): 6:01pm On May 23, 2018
That's true.
Add this: every bride must respect her in-laws.... Infact almost worship them.....
Shout UP NEPA whenever light comes

2 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Maket: 6:01pm On May 23, 2018
No 7 is funny though. I remember the knock received by a lefter giving his uncle table knife.

2 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Adelaide2: 6:01pm On May 23, 2018
8. Having meat, fish, stock fish, snail, and crawfish all in one pot of soup. In other places in the world, it is either one of these or the other, not all (ESPECIALLY MEAT AND FISH) at the same time. grin grin grin grin

4 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by tobsvent: 6:01pm On May 23, 2018
Blaming predecessors e. g bubu

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by EasterDell: 6:02pm On May 23, 2018
What of the tradition of asking the obvious?

- you done come?
- you dey eat?
- na your eye be this?

7 Likes

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Divay22(f): 6:02pm On May 23, 2018
Eating rice every Sunday (that one na family ritual)

25 Likes 3 Shares

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by dasparrow: 6:03pm On May 23, 2018
Add to the list the obnoxious Nigerian tradition of forcing everyone to marry and give birth whether you like it or not. That tradition alone made me decide I no longer want to be a Nigerian. In fact, I will soon dump all my Nigerian names and throw my Nigerian passport into the ocean whenever I go on a Caribbean cruise.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 6:03pm On May 23, 2018
Yinxies:
3 weddings

The couple will just be spending money endlessly

No wonders we have so many single ladies

LOL! but this is the true
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by ItzBIM(m): 6:03pm On May 23, 2018
Rice in the morning
Rice in the afternoon
Rice in the evening

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by 24hoursreporter: 6:04pm On May 23, 2018
OboOlora:
Op, how about reacting? Linda Ikeji is pregnant, they react! Anita Joseph is old and haggard, they react!

Then they will use their last 100naira to buy data to abuse faceless trolls in social media

This is very correct bro, it is a fact bro.

1 Like

Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Nobody: 6:05pm On May 23, 2018
Only Nigerians?
Re: 7 Traditions That Are Peculiar To Nigerians by Thaheer(m): 6:05pm On May 23, 2018

(1) (2) (Reply)

Photos From Idoma International Carnival 2017 / Ex-ghanaian President, John Dramani Mahana Pays Courtesy Visit To Ooni Of Ife / Why Palace Is Yet To Officially Announce Ooni Of Ife’s Death

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 31
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.