Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,630 members, 7,816,599 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 01:44 PM

Ibori May Seek Asylum In Dubai! - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Ibori May Seek Asylum In Dubai! (781 Views)

YDP May Seek Poll Cancellation In Court / Re: Should Pdp Win Ekiti Guber Election, I Will Renounce My Name And Seek Asylum / 17, 000 Nigerians Seek Asylum In Chad, Cameroon, Niger – UNHCR (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Ibori May Seek Asylum In Dubai! by phantom(m): 11:43am On May 27, 2010
There were strong indications yesterday that former Delta Governor James Ibori may seek asylum in Dubai.

Many prominent Nigerians, including a top government official, have been fingered in the asylum deal.

Ibori was arrested on May 12 in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) capital, almost a month after he was declared wanted by the Economic and Financial Crimes Commission (EFCC).

Shortly after his arrest, the Metropolitan Police in the UK said the ex-governor had a case to answer over alleged worldwide assets worth $35million.

The Met Police and the EFCC sent separate teams and documents to Dubai to push Ibori’s extradition.

But, the extradition process, which ought to begin on Monday, may have suffered a setback, following pressure on the UAE authorities by some powerful Nigerians and investors to consider Ibori’s case as political persecution.

It was learnt that many highly-placed Nigerians flew to Dubai in solidarity with Ibori, who is said to be pushing for political asylum.

It was gathered that reports from Dubai have also indicated a grand plot to grant Ibori asylum.

The source said: "We have a great challenge at hand because the UAE authorities are not keen on the extradition of Ibori. In fact, the process has not started.

"Ibori and his counsel are pleading a case of political persecution in Nigeria . In fact, the case is shifting from extradition to battle for asylum.

"Some Nigerians with international political connections and high net worth investments in UAE have come to the rescue of Ibori and the application for extradition might be frustrated.

"I think the security agencies in Nigeria were given a status report of the case yesterday. They are now aware that some highly-connected Nigerians are sneaking to Dubai to bail out the ex-governor."

The source also explained that the Met Police were battling with the application for extradition because the conditions are stringent under the Federal Law No (39) of 2006.

"You should expect some high-level diplomatic talks with UAE by the UK and Nigeria in the next few days," the source added.

The Nation

has reported that diplomatic consultations on Ibori’s fate assumed a new dimension with the INTERPOL in Dubai also signifying interest in prosecuting the ex-governor in the United Arab Emirates (UAE) for money laundering.

It was learnt that President H.H. Sheikh Khalifa bin Zayed Al Nahyan signed the law four years ago.

As part of the conditions Ibori may not be released if he produces evidence of political persecution by the Federal Government and the UK authorities.

Ibori’s Special Assistant (Media) Tony Eluemunor said: "First of all, what Ibori’s lawyers may have written or have not written to Dubai authorities is not mine to divulge until the time comes to divulge them because the matter will be thrashed out in open court.

"Yet, the fact remains that it is not new to anybody in Nigeria that Ibori is a victim of political persecution in this election year. We have not only said it before, but it is the truth.

"As Ibori was arrested on a warrant, we are still waiting for the Met Police and their Nigerian collaborators or instigators to bring out whatever case they have in the open court in Dubai. So far, they have no case."

http://thenationonlineng.net/web2/articles/48005/1/Ibori-may-seek-asylum-in-Dubai/Page1.html
grin grin grin, i laugh in itsekiri, i love this country, drama!

(1) (Reply)

Yar’adua: Jonathan On Surprise ‘thank You’ Visit To Saudi Arabia / Dino Melaye: Blunt, Or Disgruntled? / Police Arrest Luth Contractor With 66 Dead Babies

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 14
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.