Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,129 members, 7,814,945 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:10 AM

Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story (1102 Views)

Ngozi Okonjo-iweala Celebrates Her 64th Birthday Today / Kemi Adeosun Poses With Ngozi Okonjo-Iweala (Photo) / We Paid NASS 17B Naira To Have 2015 Budget Passed.- Okonjo Iweala (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by NOIConnect(f): 2:34pm On May 27, 2018
It has come to my attention that mischief makers are again trying to distort what is written in my book, ‘Fighting Corruption is Dangerous: the Story Behind the Headlines’, for their own political purposes.

One more time, It is important that people read the book for themselves. In the case of the N17billion, the book does not talk of bribe. It indicates that lawmakers increased the budget by N17billion and we had to accept that to move on; hence, the term “price to pay”.

The reason for discussing what happened is that this approach needs to change. The country must clear up and clarify its budget process for the future to improve. Those like Hon Gbajabiamiala trying to introduce lies that myself and my aides put in our own projects and lawmakers were fighting with me on that basis are playing their usual cynical games and Nigerians are tired of that!

Lies obscure the country’s problems and do not allow us to improve. There were and there still are politicians in the National Assembly trying to do the right thing. The book also points that out. Such well-meaning legislators should not allow their strident colleagues to twist matters and divert attention from the need to improve the country’s budget process so our young people can see a better side of their country.

Signed.

NOI

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by LibertyRep: 2:40pm On May 27, 2018
Credible Source?

In any case, allowing the law makers insert such amount into the budget isn't in the interest of the public.

This is the way I see it, the Executives may have already inflated the budget and the Legislators feel justified to pad it too. After all it's a national cake and it's unending. Otherwise the silence of the Executive over the matter makes them culpable.

3 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by CarlosTheJackal: 3:07pm On May 27, 2018
Zombies read everything from Transmission angle so im not surprised they misquoted her

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by omaguibu(m): 5:08pm On May 27, 2018
If reading has been a problem to them is it understanding that would not?

2 Likes

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by Caseless: 5:12pm On May 27, 2018
Madam, you disbursed 17 billion to get the budget passed . That's the story we know and any counter-story or clarification won't stand.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by slowice(m): 5:27pm On May 27, 2018
Of course it's still happening today and has to stop...
Some Nigerians are good at taking issues out of context

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by muykem: 5:31pm On May 27, 2018
This is also corruption and evidence of incompetent government. How will you allow NA to pad the budget? The same thing happened last year and PMB refused to sign until they removed it.

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by jamace(m): 6:13pm On May 27, 2018
Caseless:
Madam, you disbursed 17 billion to get the budget passed . That's the story we know and any counter-story or clarification won't stand.
Have you read the book or you are interested in interpreting it as it suits you?

Even the present 2018 budget has been upgraded by the NA based on some reasons. Will you say that Buhari has bribed the NA with that extra?

1 Like

Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by Okoroawusa: 6:19pm On May 27, 2018
How r we sure Ngozi wrote this and signed it with NOI?
Re: Okonjo-Iweala Clarifies N17billion Budget Story by wirinet(m): 7:07pm On May 27, 2018
NOIConnect:
It has come to my attention that mischief makers are again trying to distort what is written in my book, ‘Fighting Corruption is Dangerous: the Story Behind the Headlines’, for their own political purposes.

One more time, It is important that people read the book for themselves. In the case of the N17billion, the book does not talk of bribe. It indicates that lawmakers increased the budget by N17billion and we had to accept that to move on; hence, the term “price to pay”.

The reason for discussing what happened is that this approach needs to change. The country must clear up and clarify its budget process for the future to improve. Those like Hon Gbajabiamiala trying to introduce lies that myself and my aides put in our own projects and lawmakers were fighting with me on that basis are playing their usual cynical games and Nigerians are tired of that!

Lies obscure the country’s problems and do not allow us to improve. There were and there still are politicians in the National Assembly trying to do the right thing. The book also points that out. Such well-meaning legislators should not allow their strident colleagues to twist matters and divert attention from the need to improve the country’s budget process so our young people can see a better side of their country.

Signed.

NOI

Okonjo-Iweala is now speaking from both sides of her mouth.
How can she now turn around and say the " In the case of the N17billion, the book does not talk of bribe."
When this was what she wrote in the book;

In a tough session with the National Assembly’s ad hoc committee on the budget (made up of chairs of the Finance Committee and Appropriation Committee of both chambers and other leaders of the National Assembly), an additional N20 billion was re-introduced as election expenses for National Assembly members.

“We insisted the amount be dropped because it nullified the 13 per cent cut made to their statutory budget, but managed to reduce the N20 billion figure by only N3 billion to N17 billion.
https://www.google.com.ng/amp/thenationonlineng.net/we-gave-lawmakers-n17bn-to-pass-2015-budget-okonjo-iweala/amp/

(1) (Reply)

June 12 1993: How Old Were You Then? What Do You Remember? / Nobody Can Intimidate Fulani Herdsmen In Nigeria, See Why / BREAKING!! Tension As Irate Youths Block Road In Aba, Set Things Ablaze(photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 15
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.