Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,510 members, 7,830,522 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 01:25 AM

By Chance-short Story - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / By Chance-short Story (459 Views)

Thief By Chance / Book Review: I Do Not Come To You By Chance By Adaobi 'tricia Nwaubani / The 2018 Commonwealth Short Story Prize Is Open For Entries. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

By Chance-short Story by Dunnytt: 10:48am On May 28, 2018
CHAPTER ONE
PRESENT DAY
''What led me down this path,how on earth did i get here? Where is Micheal?",these are the questions on Eniola's mind as she try to make her way through the leaves and trees that seems to be ubiqutuous all around,then her brain began to process that she is indeed inside a forest unknown to her,she tried to recollect what really happened then "boom!" her mind flashed to what she could remembered last......
THREE YEARS AGO
Eniola sat down under a shed around the school cafeteria waiting for her friend jennifer before she can go in to make order and eat their lunch together like they have been doing for the past two years they met while waiting to sign one of their general 100level course form and since then have become best of friend doing virtually doing everything together.

"A penny for your thought" a voice she could recognise anywhere in the world said behind her left ear and a smile crossed eniola's face,that is Jennifer's voice."You for sleep there nah" Eniola said sarcastiscally with the smile still on her face,turning back to see her friend standing akimbo over her head. ''You know how that yeye man usually behave" replied Jennifer referrring to the lecturer that took her class few minutes ago rolling her eyes in the process,while Jennifer is studying Law,Eniola is studying mass communication in the universtity. Eniola stood up and they both went into the cafeteria to order what to eat for the afternoon then afterwards leave for thier hostel.
After a fruitless job hunting for the day like the past 7 months,Micheal stood at the bus stop under the burning sun with other people waiting for bus to their different destinations. "ketu-oshodi! ketu-oshodi!!" came the voice of a bus conductor and Micheal heave a sigh of relief "thank heavens" and make his way into the bus.Midway to oshodi, the bus conductor has started to collect the bus fare when Micheal discovered he had his wallet missing then he dawned on him "lagos sharpshooter" like they use to refer to pick pocket in lagos has done one of their tricks on him and must be the boy that "accidentally" bumped into him minutes he got to the bus stop ealier on.He silently prayed that Balikis should be at her shop when the bus get where he will alight as balikis is his neighbour who sells fruits at the junction.

"Erm erm erm...conductor i will drop by toyota junction and will give you money there,i left my wallet at the place i'm coming from'' said Micheal to the bus conductor and the bus conductor replied in harsh tone in yoruba mixed with pidgin english"kini gbogbo eleyi gan sef,shey u no know that one before you enta my bus?Ogbeni bole jare". "Don't worry I will pay for him" a female voice said from the back seat and Micheal's eyes rested on a beatiful lady in her early tweenties and muttered some words which sounds like "thank you". When the bus got to its final destination which is toyota bus stop,Micheal got down and purposely wait to thank the lady who paid for his fare. "Thanks for the other time,I appreciate'' Micheal said to the lady and she replied "you are welcome" without looking at him but seems to be looking around for something. "I'm Micheal and you are?" said micheal to the lady and the reply came "Eniola,Eniola Johnson" still looking around.

"You seems to be looking around for something,is there something I can help you with?",Micheal said again to Eniola and she replied "Yes,was actually looking for a pharmacy with the name Boisterous according to the description given to me by my friend". "oh okay,its just around this corner'' said Micheal pointing his finger to a direction near the road. "Come,let me show you" Micheal came in again and Eniola rejected his offer although thanking him in the process."Nonsense!,for a lady who paid my transport fare without knowing me? Showing you the pharmacy that is 3 blocks from my house is the least I can do" said Micheal."oh really,thanks then" said Eniola and they both strolled into the adjacent street. "Here you go" said Micheal pointing to the pharmacy and Eniola look towards the direction he pointed and smiled.

"Can i have your contact? will like to talk to you sometimes later if you don't object" Micheal asked and Eniola carried away by the smile on Jennifer's face who was at the door,waving and smilling sheepishly at the same time to her replied absent mindly to Micheal"okay,that is cool by me 0903575......" bade Micheal bye and ran towards the pharmacy door.
Eniola got to the pharmacy and gave Jennifer a hug which was returnedwith a low voice behind her ears asking her "how on earth did you get yourself entanled with that man?"
Micheal lying down on his back facing the ceiling of the one room he shared with his friend before he moved out and was trying to picture what could have happened with the bus conductor if Eniola had not come to his rescue by paying. Balikis he thought will be at the shop to borrow the transport fare did not open her shop and was not at home also,"that's how one rough guy go come use me do punching bag" Micheal thought,then came a rumbling sound from the his stomach which took him out of his thinking and to remind him he has not eaten nor drink anything since the time he woke up in the morning,he checked the time and the time was half past 5'Oclock in the evening. He stood up,to get a cup and scooped 2 hansdsful of garri from the cupboard where he usually keep his foodstuff,added a water from a Jerry can he placed behind the door. "this should do till night when i will prepare real food" thought Micheal.After draining the last drop of the garri in the cup,he laid back to his former position and a smile crossed his face as he slowly drifted to sleep while thinking about the saving angel that he encountered today-Eniola! that's her name,made a mental note of calling her whenever he wakes up.
Re: By Chance-short Story by Dunnytt: 10:49am On May 28, 2018
Comments and critics are welcome
Re: By Chance-short Story by billynoni(m): 12:57am On May 30, 2018
hmmmmm,following

(1) (Reply)

Independence Day Speech For Students / DIARY OF A NIGERIAN KOPA 1 / Dear Writers, Submit Your Manuscript And Get Published By Kachifo Limited

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.