Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,825 members, 7,813,715 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 04:54 PM

Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? - Health - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? (1279 Views)

Poll: Are We?

Yes: 15% (2 votes)
No: 84% (11 votes)
This poll has ended

Your ABC Against Malaria / What Drug Can A Pregnant Woman Feeling Malaria Take ?? / Educate Against Malaria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by gbagudara: 2:45pm On May 28, 2010
There have been many reports about the morbidity and mortality of the dreaded malaria.
Just we are we in the ongoing fight against this man killer?
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by oisehumen(m): 11:17am On Jun 01, 2010
The fight is very far from being won. As a matter of fact, malaria is gaining more grounds.
Just last week, 4 of my colleagues were hospitalized, They had malaria!
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by olaolabiy: 11:18am On Jun 01, 2010
i hope something gets done.
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by bolseas(f): 12:29pm On Jun 01, 2010
How can we win when the root cause is not adderessed.

if you look around our environment you will find open drainages, bushes etc. these are breeding places for mosquitoes.

a few recommendations are: 1) Provide proper drainages by constructing gutters with concrete slabs as covers
2) Cut the grasses or bushes around your houses
3) Fumigate your surrondings at least every three months.

it is not until we distribute malaria drugs or treated nets that malaria will go.\

my 2 cents sha
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by wazobiang: 2:32pm On Jun 01, 2010
fight against malaria? abi na defence from malaria attacks?
dat thing one day, if we keep proper records, we go discover say e don kill more people than tsunami for naija.
malaria causes all kinds of complications and its one of the diseases that is not effected by how healthy you are (just introduce a very healthy oyibo man to malaria).

we are not winning nathin, malaria is roaming town like a wounded lion. win ke. go collect your own helmet o!

i spray all this insecticides, keep my surroundings -at least the one within my immediate surrounding - clean. just open window for five minutes. vvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvvm!

win ke! the half hearted efforts we make at exterminating mosquito's and malaria has helped both to recover quickly and adapt to our tactics which we are fast running out of.
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by Fhemmmy: 7:41pm On Jun 01, 2010
Not at all.
many preventable deaths are still not been prevented, thus loss of lives
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by CarlosVent(m): 8:44pm On Jun 01, 2010
dey r making money
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by davidif: 3:20am On Jun 02, 2010
The thing keeps mutating and its getting harder and harder for drugs to fight it.
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by Amjustme: 10:44am On Jun 02, 2010
YES WE ARE!
The truth is we can record victory in the area of the general awareness on malaria. Almost everyone, in a rural or urban area must have heard about malaria, causes, and what to do to prevent malaria. Are people really willing to fight malaria?
Personally, i am so aware,iv taken steps against it and i cant remember the last time i had malaria, i think in 2006.
If am winning my own war against malaria, everyone should, am not even using mosquito net on my bed, just general hygiene.
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by dominique(f): 11:08am On Jun 02, 2010
how do you expect pharmaceutical companies continue to run if a solution to malaria is found? malaria medication contributes a huge chunk of their profits you know?
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by Sissy3(f): 7:54pm On Jun 02, 2010
i think we will be winning the fight if an effective vaccine is developed and people are educated on how to protect themselves and those infected seek immediate treatment
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by lagerwhenindoubt(m): 7:35pm On Jun 03, 2010
bolseas:

How can we win when the root cause is not adderessed.

if you look around our environment you will find open drainages, bushes etc. these are breeding places for mosquitoes.

a few recommendations are: 1) Provide proper drainages by constructing gutters with concrete slabs as covers
2) Cut the grasses or bushes around your houses
3) Fumigate your surrondings at least every three months.

it is not until we distribute malaria drugs or treated nets that malaria will go.\

my 2 cents sha

You speak deep truth, as with all ailments in Nigeria, we only attack the symptoms and never care to eliminate the root cause.

Nigeria (africa's most populated) has the highest deaths by malaria for children under 5 yrs in the entire Africa (We love being number one for all the wrong reasons)

http://www.unicef.org/infobycountry/nigeria_statistics.html
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by nnaemmy(m): 6:19am On Jun 04, 2010
Hmmmm, nna ee, the issue of Malaria in Nigeria (Africa) is becoming more prevalent than ever before.
The way am seeing it, Government are doing their best oo, but some bad eggs need to be flushed out of the Ministry/Department in other to get where we are going.
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by Obinoscopy(m): 9:06am On Jun 04, 2010
The Malaria parasite is now becoming resistant to the ACTs! Many patients who take Artemether + Lumefantrine and the likes of it, rush back to the doctor complaining of relapse or recrudescense. God help us!
Re: Are We Winning The Fight Against Malaria? by Sissy3(f): 9:23am On Jun 04, 2010
i just think vaccines will be a more effective weapon against malaria. hoping there will be an effective one in the near future cause it surely will save lives

(1) (Reply)

Detox, Cleanse And Amazing Weight Loss In Just 9 Days / Hypertension / Losing Stomach Fat

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 18
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.