Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,132 members, 7,807,435 topics. Date: Wednesday, 24 April 2024 at 01:25 PM

Maya And 3dMax - Art, Graphics & Video - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Art, Graphics & Video / Maya And 3dMax (25785 Views)

Please, I Heard Maya And 3ds Max Are Better Than Cinema 4d...how True Is That?? / Freelance 3d Animator (maya) And Video Effects (after Effects) In Abuja / Need Animation Maya And 3d Studio Max (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Maya And 3dMax by smartsoft(m): 12:11am On Jan 02, 2006
Guys, I want to learn 3DMax. Is it simple or difficult to learn? And what is difference between Maya And 3dMax? Which of the two(2) you use?
Re: Maya And 3dMax by olex(m): 4:38pm On Jan 02, 2006
I am currently trying to learn Maya. A year ago, I tried learning Lightwave but had to give up because the software stopped responding on my system. I have never used 3D Studio Max.

Maya appears easier than Lightwave, though some claim that Lightwave has a better rendering machine.

What are you learning a 3D software for? Creating digital pictures, animation? Just asking.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by dejiolowe: 10:18pm On Jan 02, 2006
did u know crazy frog (that hyper annoying thing) was created with lightwave. i guess that makes it learning...
Re: Maya And 3dMax by demmy(m): 11:20am On Jan 03, 2006
Basically I use maya because of its graphical interface, I find it more user friendly than 3d max but basically i think they are both the same. You can achieve the same goal with either software. As for details I know maya is awsome for modelling and animating but not too good in rendering while I've read that 3d max is good for animating.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by smartsoft(m): 1:28pm On Jan 03, 2006
Well i don't really know just wanna learn something... about modelling,animation, e.tc. is it that simple to learn or something.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by Nobody: 4:22am On Jan 04, 2006
i dunno bout those , but i use Animation shop to make my animations.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by grafikdon: 6:15pm On Jan 04, 2006
Maya has a very steep learning curve. Max is easier to learn if you have the patience to go thru the tutorials that ship with max, you'll be doing wonderful things in no distant future. You can get the demo of both appa and check 'em out and stick with the one that 'feels right'. The truth is you can do anything with both apps, the only difference there are things that coulb be done with great ease in one than the other but at the end of the it all boils down to how willing you are to push the creative enveloped.

I have fiddled with both Max and Maya in the past but I actually use Lightwave (modeling and non character work) and Softimage XSI for character animation and particles. With these two, I have no need for any app.

It's your call dude, whatever rocks your boat. Check them out and try them and ignore those who will tell you app X is better than app Y 'cause it is all a load of crap.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by topetall(f): 7:53pm On Jan 04, 2006
I would also love to learn 3D studio max for rendering after drafting in autocad.the best place for me to learn is in school, especially if i have my PC,which is on the way.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by grafikdon: 8:11pm On Jan 04, 2006
olex:

Maya appears easier than Lightwave, though some claim that Lightwave has a better rendering machine.

What are you learning a 3D software for? Creating digital pictures, animation? Just asking.

On the contrary, Maya has a steep learning curve. I am not sure about Lightwave having a better rendering machine but is sure has a good renderer, no doubt about that, heck it can rival a lot of commercial renderers out there. It's been used in lots of hit Hollywood movies and TV series (Serenity, anyone?). smiley
Re: Maya And 3dMax by olex(m): 9:08am On Jan 05, 2006
Learning to use a 3-D software (or any other software) has more to do with getting a good book and hours of practice. One's creativity also counts. When I first got Lightwave, I tried learning it using the Lightwave manual. Unfortunately, this was nothing but crap, filled with so much technical information.

Having read up to page 300, I couldn't model a single object. I then had to get a book by a guy called Timothy Albee (Essential Lightwave 7.5). It helped a lot. Eventually, I gave up on Lightwave because it stopped responding on my machine. However, Lightwave is such a great software that renders so well, that one cannot but help fall in love with it.

I started learning Maya with the Maya tutorial manual. The first instructions here teach one how to model. In other words, unlike the Lightwave manual, one gets to learn Maya by tying out how to model things. I happen to think that this is the best way of learning to use a 3-D software. Maya also renders well and if you are able to lay your hands on Maya Unlimited, you will have access to Maya Cloth and Maya Fur (imagine creating your own five minutes Shrek or Monsters, Inc!)

Some folks end up settling for 3D Studio Max, others go for Maya and still others, Lightwave. It’s just like the diversity you find in the operating systems people choose to use – Windows, Macintosh or Linux. Maya and Lightwave are great (I’ve never used Max). I have a preference for Maya simply because it works well on my machine. Furthermore, I enjoy its tutorials much better than those of Lightwave. There may be great Lightwave books out there, which I never saw.

I have read that movie studios use both Maya and Lightwave. Some probably use Max as well. I hope Nollywood would come of age in the next few years, when there will hopefully be professional 3-D animators in Nigeria, so that we can begin to have special effects in our movies.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by Farriel(m): 10:13pm On Jan 06, 2006
I use 3ds max for the modelling and animation of the little CG characters that I've put up. I found it easier to learn and even easier to use. I can't complain for it's scanline rendering which is Ok to me. Moreover, my usage of discreet combustion precipitated my use for max, since the integration between both appz is very tight.

I do a lot of digital compositing, keying and tracking, and I find 3ds max scenes working seamlessly in my composites in combustion. Most of all, it's got the biggest user base. Tutorials and users are everywhere, so you're not going to have a peculiar problem. Not to mention Reactor (bundled with 3ds max), which I find very cool for crowd simulation.

Maya is OK. It's been used for the creation of most stunning vfx shots in movies that have won Oscar awards for Best Visual Effects. When you look at most of the works that were done using Maya, you'd be tempted to say it's the best 3d app out there. To me, it was comparatively hard to learn during the while I tried using it and I quickly gave up and continued with 3ds max.

I have never tried Lightwave nor SoftImage but I hear both appz are awesome, to the users of it.

You should try out any and stick to the one you're most comfortable with, really. It takes the user to make an app great, as they say.

By the way, what's the exact area you intend specializing in? Is it Modelling, Animation, Texturing?
Re: Maya And 3dMax by Seun(m): 5:45am On Mar 20, 2006
Can you advice him on which is applicable for Modelling, Animation, and Texturing?
Re: Maya And 3dMax by umayjolly(m): 2:12pm On Aug 28, 2008
wich one is prefer to learn in the two

is it Maya or 3dmax
Re: Maya And 3dMax by Tunslike: 7:55pm On Aug 28, 2008
Bro!

The Blunt truth is that these Programs are Extremely powerfull softwares, i used to tell my students/people that , "if you know your programs really well and your programs knows you welll, your possiblities are unlimited!

Max or Maya, cheesy wink let me inspire you a little,

Maya! is a very powerfull programe and has great, terrific and incredible modeling tools, animations tools and powerful rendering systems with high detailed texturing and shading networks, (this might be more technical for some biginners, but) thats give the extreme photorealistic models/design/animation or image, with your eyes open you can't just believe what you could do in a sniffy,

Max !(Whao!) also provides powerful modelling, animation, texturing and rendering tools with great convinent, touch and play tools, 3D Max is easy to learn that is why is being adopted by beginners, but dont be susprise you find it in any 20th Century studio in the world.

what am i saying, know your software and let your software know you! see the image below and inspire yourself, who said you wont do more these, ? cheesy cheesy wink

the living room and the building were done in Max and render with Vray rendering , while the second two where done in Maya rendered with stand alone Mental Ray Renderer, note that these are not picture taken from the internet, if like me to make one i will, i beat my chest for that cool

the questions are , how were these design built, can i used my (Max or Maya) to do something like these, if Yes! you are the winner, if No! then which can be used that will achieve it, , i dont know what your focus is but which ever from any of the following

3D Animation, Visual Effect, Product Designing, T.V Commercial, Motion Graphics, Visual Effect Composite, Architecturing Designing, 3D Visual Effect Intergration, Digital Matte Visual Effect Animation or Film and Video Production, understand that any of these Programs will help you RULE YOUR WORLD, rem know your software and let your software know you!

I took my time to write these to inspire upcoming nigerians out there, indeed we are talented and skillfull, we need to go the right way, who said or doubt that the following films can be done in nigeria AND BY U angry, spiderman, Xmen, the day after tomorrow, i mean, go and watch the MATRIX and see yourself what Maya and other internal programs did, can't you do that, YES U CAN, the question is HOW! and we will tell you how.

I woudn't want to exhust the whole post, but am always happy to tell people in these areas or going to these areas that they have found their salvation,

Max or Maya?? the answer is Maya and Max cheesy cheesy cheesy seek and you shall find, knock and you are welcome, then ASK you shall be given, cheesy cheesy wink

But! remember, they both have strenght and weekness, Max (more strengths and weekness) Maya (many more strengths and little weekness) so you see and could understand yourself cheesy dont mind me OOO cheesy,

Try and start with any, i promise you wont regret INVESTING YOUR TIME, MONEY and all that, need any help, seek the professional or ME cheesy, we will help you. the only way you can grow is to be the client and the professional, task your self as your learn along any step on these programs, you shall surely find a way,

cheesy cheesy my students prefer the orientation class better than the practical class, why cheesy because they said i blow their minds and give them NEW WORLD TO RULE, that's truth, with these skills the impossiblilty will become possible, Nobody never taught about the ZION in the film Matrix, could exist, but with Maya and others, its definately exists.

like my talk wink cheesy and want to do the do like the attached designs, tunslike@yahoo.com is my email, you are welcome to RULE YOUR WORLD cool!

1 Like

Re: Maya And 3dMax by Tunslike: 7:59pm On Aug 28, 2008
ignore typos folks, was running at of time and typing really fast, cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy wink bye grin
Re: Maya And 3dMax by Whalewale(m): 6:44am On Aug 29, 2008
all has been said
Re: Maya And 3dMax by Nobody: 1:19pm On Dec 25, 2008
Hey smartsoft, want to hook up with 3D?

I think Maya is much more difficult to learn compared to 3dsmax, You will find a lot of 3dsmax artist out there(talking of naija) but Maya artists are hard to come by

Maybe try starting with 3dsmax,

Interesting thing to note When Autodesk acquired Maya from Alias | wavefront

On Autodesk website, they put

Alias Maya is now Autodesk Maya,
Alias Wavefront, Producers of the industry's best 3D software,

They never admitted this before they acquired it

My experience with Maya has proven to me that, If you can imagine it, then you can create it, I am not very good with it yet but with this drive, i think i will be there in a short time

I have never tried 3dsmax but from what i have heard and learnt so far, they are both tools and it depends on the artist, If you are not creative, dont expect much from any of them.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by sojioguns(m): 9:23am On Jan 02, 2009
I think both are very powerful tools and you can choose either of them. It is very easy to export and import between both. They both have their individual strengths. For instance you might do the basic modelling and animation in 3dsmax then move to Maya to do hair, fur and cloth simulation, etc. Several studios do this abroad. Some people prefer the particle systems of Maya to 3ds max, that is why they prefer to use Maya for visual effects. Some people prefer the dynamics (reactor) in Max and so on. It really depends on you and your team. The most important thing is to fully understand the 3D to a level (intermediate-advanced).
Another difference between the 2 is the workflow. 3dsmax is kind of linear ie you need to apply modifiers in a linear manner, while Maya is modular. I think Maya also has a nodal workflow (kind of like Shake). So you see, it depends on what you want to do and how comfortable you are.
The same thing applies to After effects vs Combustion. Both apps can give you very similar results in very different ways. I prefer the timeline-based After effects, maybe because I started my career as an editor.
So you see, try the 2 out, play with the interface and stick to the one that makes you feel at home.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by A2J(m): 1:49am On Jan 03, 2009
If you are in the Architectural and Visualisation industries then I would still say 3DMax is the right tool. However, if your software budget can stretch far enough, then I would also suggest purchasing a seat of Maya. Maya has some great tools that will propel your visuals to a cut above the rest. Using the paint tools, and fluid effects, your walkthrough can become hugely more realistic. Imagine creating an animation with a pond in the background that is rippling around a floating object, or water trickling down rocks, these are the kind of things that can be achieved using Maya.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by osasp(m): 4:35pm On Jan 14, 2009
@Tunslike
im a sucker for 3d graphics but its frustrating when i check the internet for detailed tutorials but cant come up with any.
i presently have maya and am looking to get lightwave and from what i have read so far i would like to learn how to use maya and 3d max.its hard those shots up were made from scratch, maybe its just me being a noob.it really is frustrating though. i badly want to learn this and a bunch of other things.any links to tutorials or you could make your and post them and we would gladly appreciate.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by mlid68: 6:22pm On Feb 23, 2009
Here is the CGI industry's mantra:
Model in Maya.
Animate in Softimage XSI.
Create special effects in Houdini.
Composite in NUKE and Fusion
Create a 'cast of thousands' using Massive.

Just ask the guys at Digital Domain and ILM, or me!!
Re: Maya And 3dMax by donchie(m): 4:48pm On Mar 27, 2011
trust me anybody who really want to learn maya , should be brave, maya is one of the leading 3D modellin and animation softwares in the world, so try and learn it, i have been learnin  maya for 4 years now, and i'm good in modellin, so dont give up, anybody that want to learn. keep pushin. this are some of my work .

Re: Maya And 3dMax by Henryrich(m): 2:02pm On Apr 13, 2011
Mr tunslike pls how do i get the software, i need them and i stays in akure.
Re: Maya And 3dMax by donpizzle1: 7:20pm On Apr 29, 2011
any kind hearted nairalander to teach me maya n 3dmax??, wat r ur terms n conditions
Re: Maya And 3dMax by expert1(m): 9:18pm On May 17, 2011
you would be my HERO if you can get MAYA Software for me. Animation is what I want to LIVE for.
expertshow@yahoo.com
I will appreciate it if you can help me out in gettin MAYA Software.
Thanks NLs
Re: Maya And 3dMax by damaroy: 3:41pm On Jun 04, 2011
Anyone out there interested in learning 3ds Max can check out www.damaroyworkshop.com.

It's an online video tutorial portal exclusively for Autodesk 3ds Max.

Re: Maya And 3dMax by gideone: 9:38pm On Jan 03, 2012
Hello Guyz,

Having a good understanding of Maya or the 3Dmax software is not the only skill that is needed to succeed as an animator or a graphic artiste but your ability to set off with a plan is the architectural master piece that you need. Having a plan is like you having foresight or architectural work in place and all you do is just build on the plan.

Creating your own[b] 3D animations [/b]can be easy if you have access to tutorials that will guide you on a one to one structure
and videos that would show you the steps to achieving the effects you want.

You too can be the best in your field as an ANIMATOR today!

Best of LUCK
Re: Maya And 3dMax by Nobody: 1:32am On Jan 09, 2012
Imagine, modelling, animation, physics simulation, rendering, composition, an amazing game engine, all in one free package. Why fork out thousands of dollars for a 3d modelling app, and another thousands for a renderer, and yet another for a compositor, when you can get it all in one nice package free of cost? www.blender.org
Re: Maya And 3dMax by Nobody: 1:38am On Jan 09, 2012
Oh, and it's got a non-linear video editor, and motion tracking for composting cg into live footage. www.blender.org. please note that I am not in any way affiliated with The Blender Foundation, I'm just a satisfied user.

(1) (2) (Reply)

Kelvin Okafor's Truly Amazing Drawings / Beautiful Paintings / Amazing 3-D Pencil Sketches That Literally Leap Off The Pages

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 69
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.