Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,898 members, 7,817,658 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:29 PM

2018 World Cup In Russia: Why I Think Nigeria's Group Is The Group Of Death - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / 2018 World Cup In Russia: Why I Think Nigeria's Group Is The Group Of Death (321 Views)

Pictures Of Stadia To Be Used In FIFA 2018 World Cup In Russia & Matches / Algeria Vs Nigeria: FIFA 2018 World Cup Qualifiers 1 - 1 (Full Time) / 2018 World Cup Africa Zone Qualifiers: Full Results Of Match Day 4 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

2018 World Cup In Russia: Why I Think Nigeria's Group Is The Group Of Death by Akinboyepelz: 10:39am On May 30, 2018
Argentina will be favourites. Anyone with Lionel Messi in their ranks is surely entitled to that. But, even with the greatest footballer of all time, Argentina can still drop out of the world cup in the group stage. Iceland, Nigeria and Croatia - will fancy their chances of progressing.

TEAMS

ARGENTINA

Always a threat to win it all, the 2014 runners-up go into this tournament far from their best. They will be hoping Sergio Aguero, Gonzalo Higuain and others quickly find their feet in support of Messi and that the defence - which served them so well in Brazil four years ago - doesn’t falter. If they don’t take care of business as expected, a round-of-16 date with France could be on the agenda. Go through as winners and a far less onerous opponent more than likely awaits.

ICELAND

One of two tournament debutants. With just 334,000 inhabitants they are the smallest nation ever to reach a finals. They will be hoping for a giant-killing run similar to the 2016 Euros where they knocked England out on the way to the quarter-finals. Passionate fans and the thunderclap chant arguably their biggest weapons.

CROATIA

Packed with stars, Croatia were forced to squeeze into the finals via the playoffs for the second Cup in a row. They actually performed well at Euro 2016, beating Spain while topping their group before falling in the round of 16 to Portugal. Time is running out for this golden generation of players - Luka Modric, Mario Mandzukic, Ivan Rakitic, Ivan Perisic and co. Their experience better count for something otherwise they are in big trouble.

NIGERIA

They have the form and confidence to make some serious noise. They beat reigning African champions Cameroon 4-0 in the group stages of Cup qualifying and bounced back from 2-0 down in a friendly to beat Argentina 4-2 recently. They have qualified for five of the past six World Cups and have been drawn against Argentina every time. They are still looking for their first win over them.

THE KEY MATCH

Croatia v Nigeria (June 17, 5am): Croatia are a tough team on paper but they have lost their past three World Cup openers, while the Super Eagles were the first African nation to qualify, and did so easily. This clash could very well decide the second team to go through with group favourites Argentina.

Re: 2018 World Cup In Russia: Why I Think Nigeria's Group Is The Group Of Death by AsapKen(m): 10:58am On May 30, 2018
I hope it doesn't kill d super eagles wink

(1) (Reply)

Kanu Nwankwo Loses $11000 At Russian Airport / EPL Transfer News: Lyon Midfielder Nabil Fekir To Join Liverpool / Julen Lopetegui: Spain Sacks Coach After He Takes Real Madrid Job

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.