Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,526 members, 7,826,978 topics. Date: Tuesday, 14 May 2024 at 01:55 AM

Photo Essay: Nigeria 0:0 Saudi Arabia As It Happened - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / Photo Essay: Nigeria 0:0 Saudi Arabia As It Happened (655 Views)

Caf U23 Championship Qualifier :Nigeria 0 Vs Congo 0 (Live) / Azerbaijan Vs Nigeria (0 - 11): U-17 Women's World Cup On Tuesday Sept-25-2012 / Nigeria (0) - Argentina (1) In 2008 Olympics Final (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Photo Essay: Nigeria 0:0 Saudi Arabia As It Happened by megapro(m): 7:33pm On May 28, 2010
Picture Essay
Nigeria 0:0 Saudi Arabia as it happened.
Innsbruck, 25.05.2010
Megapro

Austria is an enchanting place.

Several countries attending the world cup are camping there. Several countries not attending the world cup are camping there also -which include Saudi Arabia, our foes yesterday, as well as Congo DR -their opponents the weekend before. This air, this scenic beauty.

On the Autobahn across the border, I told Yiba that since Nigeria 0:0 Morocco at the Ogbe stadium in 1983, the single match that Nigeria had lost when I attended was only in Köln 1998. This is a stat spanning 27 years, countless games and a dozen different coaches.

Win, lose or draw; Vogts, Amodu or Lagerback, its always a thrill to see your NT play.

Naija fan

Yesterday was Lagerback's baptism of fire, and all eyes were to be on him to see if there was the desired turn-around, and thus justification for changing the coaching team after the nations cup.

Lagerback looks ahead

The opponents were FIFA ranked 66 Saudi trying out some new players, but any sort of defeat would be seen as a disaster for the morale of the players, coaches and fans. That we all agreed.

I will leave the match report to our armchair experts, but my little take is that the coach having all but two players available for selection chose to start majority of players that had no spot wrapped up.
Rightly so.

A cagey, unimspiring opening as we left the Saudis dictate the pace and take control of the middle.
Suswan tentative, Anichebe annonymous -before imposing himself from more advanced positions later, Lukman learning on the pitch, while Kanu coud not disguise his age. Such told the type of team we fielded, and could be taking along to the WC.

I was right behind Lagerback. He showed composure and seemed to understand his players but must have been bewildered by their unforced errors. There was an instance when Yobo miscued a faulty pass from Suswan and gave the saudis a break which they could not convert. Yobo immediately lay down on the sides attending to his boots or an imaginary injury leaving his position open. Lagerback shouted ''Yusuf, cover for Yobo, Yusuf, cover for Yobo'', but it took an eternity b4 the midfielder did this even when he needed no instruction for that.

Meticulous and with a great work ethic, Lagerback positioned his powerpoint assistant/producer Ulf to record the game. No errors would go unnoticed.

The Eagles found their rhythm as the first half wore on and forced two saves from the opponents goalkeeper but it was comforting that 7-8 starters against Argentina were not (yet) on the dreary display.

Ogunjobi beckoned, and I spent the entire half time with him and the Federation boss Lulu touching Nigeria's participation in the 2 ladies world cups (U20, Snr) that would be staged in my territory.

to be continued,

Local fans

warm up

Agu drilling the starter between the posts.

Saudi official: ''We requested for this tie, and paid your team for it.''

Ball boys

The new yound Congo DR team (FIFA 121) that lost to Saudi 0:2 on 21.05.2010. 2nd right, their foreign team physician.

''Je suis Parfait Mandanda. My elder brother Steve Mandada (Marseille) keeps for the french national team. My younger brother Riffi, keeps for the french U16 team. I will keep for Congo against North korea on saturday''.

I am 16 and play for Tottenham hotspurs.

I remain Lomana LuaLua (Olympiakos), the kanu of the congo and henchman of the leopards. He later went to hail Martins after the game.

Ogunjobi before the game

Lagerback's debut.

Match maker David Omigie leads out the match officials. He takes ManU & Portsmouth to Nigeria, and brings Nigeria to Wattens.

Crunch time for probables and possibles.

Reserve

Nigeria's new bench

Saudi Arabia

Lulu

Ulf behind NFF and sports ministry top brass, recording the game.

Our substitutions swing the momentum.

This is looking like Sweden 0:0 Trinidad 2006. Free view from balcony.

(1) (Reply)

What Was Your South Africa World Cup Best And Worst Moment / Nigeria Rank 27th, Ghana 7th In South Africa 2010 / Super Eagles Lose In Warm-up Match In Abuja

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 22
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.