Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,774 members, 7,809,987 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:22 PM

My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It - Health (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Health / My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It (21046 Views)

How I Overcame Marijuana Addiction (Weed) / Pregnancy And Alcohol consumption / Rhesus Factor Incompatibility, One Of The Causes Of Miscarriage (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Nobody: 4:56pm On Jun 01, 2018
Saintmary:

Which university does not do series of medical tests for freshers. You just want to bash ladies right?
My dear , I talk from what I have seen. Shey na graduates wey wan go nysc dey come for medical certificate. Over half of them didn't know their blood grps and genotype. Yet they claim they had done medical screening.
In Nigeria of today, its so easy to go around the system, if you know what I mean.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Nobody: 5:00pm On Jun 01, 2018
Opinionated:
By Aiso Temitope Kristy Osekafore

I got married 2007 and September 4th, 2008, I had my first baby at Airforce Hospital, Jos (10 days after my EDD). He was weak and all afforts to get the Nurses around to see to him proved abortive as they claimed he was perfectly okay. The doctor on ward round the following morning noticed he was having difficulty breathing and attended to him immediately. He was taken to the EPU and was placed on oxygen but he didn’t make it. He died 13 hours after birth…. And that was the beginning of struggles with pregnancy.

I got pregnant again the following year but miscarried and then again. This time, I carried the baby till 28 weeks until I stopped feeling movements. I rushed to the hospital and alas, she was dead. I was induced for three days before she came out. Oh, the jubilation.. like I had the baby alive.. The joy was that I was alive.

So many people told me to go to prayer houses. In fact, someone told me I had water spirits and my water husband doesn’t want me to have a “land baby”. Hmmm…

When I had my fourth pregnancy, I decided no more private hospitals (I, of course changed hospitals after the first) so I headed for JUTH (Jos University Teaching Hospital) where I was made to know I was O- (Rhesus Negative). Meanwhile, I have had this test over six (6) times before my fourth pregnancy but all came out positive. Hmm…, our medical system sha…

A woman with rhesus negative blood in pregnancy can be pregnant with a rhesus positive baby if the baby’s father is rhesus positive. If any of the baby’s blood enters the woman’s bloodstream, the woman’s immune system can develop antibodies (infection-fighting proteins) against the rhesus antigens. This is known as sensitisation. A transfer of blood can occur during birth, or if the woman has a bleed or an injury.

Production of the antibodies is not a problem in a first pregnancy, but when a woman with a rhesus negative blood type is pregnant next time with a rhesus positive baby, her antibodies can attack that baby’s red blood cells. This can result in a serious condition called haemolytic disease of the newborn, which leads to anaemia and jaundice in the baby.

Anti-D injection

If the woman is given an injection of a solution called ‘Anti-D’, it will ‘mop up’ any rhesus positive antigens, preventing production of antibodies against the baby. Anti-D injections reduce the risk of a rhesus negative woman becoming sensitised.

I was monitored and had to go through Cesarean Section two weeks before my EDD and took the Anti-D injection.

Long story short, I had 6 pregnancies (cause I had yet another miscarriage) and yes I have 2 lovely boys.

Ignorance makes us think medical problems are spiritual. As much as you pray, please seek medical help.

Source: My Challenges with Rhesus Factor in Pregnancy and How I Overcame It

This our doktas in the private sectors that wont employ the professionals to the lab. Keep on employing quacks as lab scientist. Stop patronising private hospitals, most of their staffs are quack. If you have such money to patronize quack(private hospital) , its better you fly away with such money for your medical.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Katier00(f): 5:06pm On Jun 01, 2018
Switup:
honestly ladies need o be enlightened about this. i have a nurse friend who told me about this but i didn't take it seriously then cus i fe
lt she was boring me with her nurse tales
exactly, I wish ministry of health could create more awareness by sensitization and organizing seminars and programs to that effect because a lot of couple don't still know about rehsus factor

2 Likes 2 Shares

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by cleod: 5:08pm On Jun 01, 2018
It is quite unfortunate that many of us do Biology in secondary for nothing. i have known this since my secondary school days and shared it with friends and neighbours whose problems seem similar. I lost two siblings to jaundice , so that got me reading about the cause of it. Rhesus factor is something all couples should know about even before marriage.

2 Likes

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by linearity: 5:13pm On Jun 01, 2018
Katier00:
my doctor said unless if there is any case of threatened abortion or spotting that an anti-D injections can be administered at the first trimester of pregnancy. Had my shots after delivery with my first and second then at six weeks with I miscarried

Interesting....Sorry.

In the US, it is usually recommended to take two doses before delivery for all Rh-ve mothers, regardless of the Rhesus factor of the unborn baby....i.e. at the 28th and 34th week and if the baby is Rh+ve another dose after delivery or miscarriage or vaginal bleeding.

2 Likes

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by rad8(m): 5:14pm On Jun 01, 2018
Read this kinda stuff last year. Some ignorant people will be blaming unreal witches, innocent village people and their past life for their misfortune.
Also to those males shouting that their female partners should give them a male child, I just want you to know that the gene that determines if the child would be male or female is in u, not in the female. For more details, read about XX and XY chromosomes.

1 Like

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by frankIzuchukwu(m): 5:23pm On Jun 01, 2018
if your Reshus factor is incomparable,you suppose to be taking Reshus factor immune globulins during your first trimester to regulate the antigins and the antibodies
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Katier00(f): 5:26pm On Jun 01, 2018
linearity:

Interesting....Sorry.

In the US, it is usually recommended to take two doses before delivery for all Rh+ve regardless of the Rhesus factor of the unborn baby....i.e. at the 28th and 34th week and if the baby is Rh+ve another dose after delivery or miscarriage or vaginal bleeding.
a shot works for me.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by frankIzuchukwu(m): 5:31pm On Jun 01, 2018
rad8:
Read this kinda stuff last year. Some ignorant people will be blaming unreal witches, innocent village people and their past life for their misfortune.
Also to those males shouting that their female partners should give them a male child, I just want you to know that the gene that determines if the child would be male or female is in u, not in the female. For more details, read about XX and XY chromosomes.

mostly the female partners are 100% incharge when it comes to give birth to male child
The male mostly donate both X and Y chromosomes during fertilization it depend on the female to make use of any chromosome
note that Y chromosome have a short life span,for you to give birth to male child is mainly when you female partner is ovulating that's when the Y can fertilize the egg because is more fast but have a short life span to last on the uterus
so there are many condition that lead in destroying the Y chromosome example PH of the uterus
so male are not incharge in giving male child but the female are so there is every reason to blame it on them.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Switup: 5:40pm On Jun 01, 2018
Katier00:
exactly, I wish ministry of health could create more awareness by sensitization and organizing seminars and programs to that effect because a lot of couple don't still know about rehsus factor
you know the government we in... that may take years . but you can do sth by enlightening us here on nl if you are knowledgeable and vast in that field

1 Like

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by spdamibiz: 5:44pm On Jun 01, 2018
Tajbol4splend:
Some people mistake spirituality for another thing, they don't know that spirituality is science because God created human beings with science, if there are miseries in spirituality, remember there are miseries in science too
The science in Spirituality is far greater than all this human science that only study what has been created by God and try to modify it, Come to think of it, This physical world and human originate from spiritually before manifesting physically,, yet some ppl reasoning is never beyond this physical, which is a temporary as anything, And those beleiving there is no God, that science can explain everything,, The same scientist that cannot explain, where he was when he was not yet born

1 Like

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by LaudableXX: 5:52pm On Jun 01, 2018
Opinionated:
By Aiso Temitope Kristy Osekafore
Anti-D injection

If the woman is given an injection of a solution called ‘Anti-D’, it will ‘mop up’ any rhesus positive antigens, preventing production of antibodies against the baby. Anti-D injections reduce the risk of a rhesus negative woman becoming sensitised.

I was monitored and had to go through Cesarean Section two weeks before my EDD and took the Anti-D injection.

Long story short, I had 6 pregnancies (cause I had yet another miscarriage) and yes I have 2 lovely boys.

Ignorance makes us think medical problems are spiritual. As much as you pray, please seek medical help.

Source: My Challenges with Rhesus Factor in Pregnancy and How I Overcame It

Gbam! shocked I like stories like this, which not only highlight the problems or challenges in detail, but will also tell you the solution. sad In Nigeria, too many people believe in short-cuts, or glossing over their challenges, and this makes it difficult for others to learn a lesson from their experience. This lady is brave, because she did not stop searching for a solution.

I always advice people - don't stick to one diagnosis. Get a 2nd, 3rd or even 4th medical opinion if necessary, once the challenge becomes difficult. Finally, I love her advice - "Ignorance makes us think medical problems are spiritual. As much as you pray, please seek medical help." Not everything is 'fall down and die!' cheesy
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by kinguwem: 5:54pm On Jun 01, 2018
Rhesus Isoimmunization is a common cause of intrauterine foetal death & neonatal jaundice. The indirect coomb's test can determine whether a pregnant women was sensitize from a previous pregnancy. The anti-D immunoglobins will not be very useful for a mother that is already sensitized by the foetal antigens. The other reason a women can be sensitized is through the transfusion of a rhesus negative woman with a rhesus positive blood. In cases of emergencies where a rhesus negative blood is not available for a rhesus negative patient, a rhesus positive blood of the same blood group or O rhesus positive blood can be transfused to save the patient's life. Before the transfusion the patient or her guardian must be counseled of the consequences & an informed consent obtained.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Kajiang02(m): 5:55pm On Jun 01, 2018
Op,
I feel your pain, and your message hits me to the narrow.
I'm not a victim of Rhesus factor but my wife has suffered a miscarriage and I felt her pain each moment especially during evac.
I feel your pain, and to have gone through 6miscarriages shows how strong you are.
I started writing a diary on my wife's preggie status and even stopped, but reading your story; I'll definitely go back to it.
Thanks for the enlightenment, several families really need this.

God bless.

1 Like

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Timothy3113(m): 6:01pm On Jun 01, 2018
frankIzuchukwu:

mostly the female partners are 100% incharge when it comes to give birth to male child
The male mostly donate both X and Y chromosomes during fertilization it depend on the female to make use of any chromosome
note that Y chromosome have a short life span,for you to give birth to male child is mainly when you female partner is ovulating that's when the Y can fertilize the egg because is more fast but have a short life span to last on the uterus
so there are many condition that lead in destroying the Y chromosome example PH of the uterus
so male are not incharge in giving male child but the female are so there is every reason to blame it on them.

We have 22 autosome and one sex chromosome, one sex chromosome; X for female and Y for male.

Female have 22 autosome and X (I.e Xx), male has Y (I.e XY).

in every fertilization, the determinant of the zygote gender is the sperm cell that fertilize Ooctye. So the guy is absolutely responsible.

1 Like

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Tajbol4splend(m): 6:02pm On Jun 01, 2018
spdamibiz:
The science in Spirituality is far greater than all this human science that only study what has been created by God and try to modify it, Come to think of it, This physical world and human originate from spiritually before manifesting physically,, yet some ppl reasoning is never beyond this physical, which is a temporary as anything, And those beleiving there is no God, that science can explain everything,, The same scientist that cannot explain, where he was when he was not yet born

Of course that's one of the miseries, miseries beyond human beings
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Water101(f): 6:11pm On Jun 01, 2018
Rhesus...or riosis fact or factor wareva.
Even christ said it "when i come back would i find faith on earth? When u pray and commit ur pregnancy to God u will be surprise a pray of faith can indeed move moutain & u will have a safe birth.have seen people that are told dat they must undergo cs,but they hold on to God and have a natural birth instead.why pray trusting in the one dat made u and at d same time seek after and believe a doctors report? It unfortunate that faithlessness and complete trust in the one dat made us is long erased.Science will end God wouldn't,faith in jesus alone is life.it good to grow more in faith.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by ameh99: 6:31pm On Jun 01, 2018
God bless you....this is such an eye opener..
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by rinzylee(m): 6:51pm On Jun 01, 2018
Water101:
Even christ said it "when i come back would i find faith on earth? When u pray and commit ur pregnancy to God u will be surprise a pray of faith can indeed move moutain & u will have a safe birth.have seen people that are told dat they must undergo cs,but they hold on to God and have a natural birth instead.why pray trusting in the one dat made u and at d same time seek after and believe a doctors report? It unfortunate that faithlessness and complete trust in the one dat made us is long erased.Science will end God wouldn't,faith in jesus alone is life.it good to grow more in faith.

Wisdom is profitable to direct. Faith and Mental ascent are not the same.
Since you have Faith, why don't you close your eyes while crossing an Express Road? I believe in JESUS and the power of Faith and miracles but I perform due diligence too. Get tested and know your status, it's not faithlessness... It's wisdom.
When we have done what is necessary and the situation refuses to align then we use the rod and divide the red Sea.

God respects principles!!!

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Sweetland: 6:55pm On Jun 01, 2018
Water101:
Why don't you sit at home and wait for God to do everything for you. Doctors are there to help you, God has already answered that prayer by providing knowledge for the cure. The same applies to malaria, typhoid and all other diseases with cure. Probably the woman you are referring to was misdiagnosed. I have also seen someone who said she will never have a caesarian section, she died and the baby was brought out weak.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by buklarbest: 7:03pm On Jun 01, 2018
SalamRushdie:
Rhogam to the rescue ... Rhesus factor is mechanism put in by nature to stop two non compartible breed for from breeding but as human beings we refuse to abide ..

That's it, happened to my BROs 1st baby, lost her after 20 days, but later got to know the reason for it all was this rhesus issue, got the rhogam the next time she put to bed... the inject is very tiny but the cost no be small...

1 Like

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by ChelseaDr(m): 7:14pm On Jun 01, 2018
Water101:
I think we should understand that God is not and will never be an author of confusion and we should stop spiritualizing everything. Some things should be corrected here.

Rhesus isoimmunization is real even though ignorance made people of old (and sadly some today) believe that the cause of the death of their babies were spiritual.

The assertion you made about CS here is totally wrong. There are clear indications for CS and when a woman merits such and is advised by her doctor, she has the right to reject or accept it. However some reasons for CS do not mean that the woman cannot deliver but there are other reasons where it will be impossible to deliver vaginaly.

For instance, a woman with foetal distress may decline the advise and will of course deliver eventually (the condition of the baby not withstanding) but a woman with obstructed labour means that that labour cannot progress except by surgical intervention.

Why doctors advise for CS is for safety of both the woman and her baby, so I advise people to listen to their doctors and ask questions on the pros and con. Many never lived to tell their story.

Please God is all knowing and that is why He allowed some of us to become doctors, Engineers, Pilots, etc.

Why dont you have faith that you can close your eyes and open it and find yourself in America but you chose to enter aeroplane made from canal things and even being controlled by "sinner pilot"

That we are christians should not make us look stupid.
Cheers.

5 Likes

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Nobody: 7:15pm On Jun 01, 2018
frankIzuchukwu:

Incredible!
I'm so ashamed.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by ChelseaDr(m): 7:19pm On Jun 01, 2018
frankIzuchukwu:

Pathetic!!
Wisdom is more profitable to direct, seek knowledge my dear
Cheers!!
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by ChelseaDr(m): 7:25pm On Jun 01, 2018
linearity:

Interesting....Sorry.

In the US, it is usually recommended to take two doses before delivery for all Rh-ve mothers, regardless of the Rhesus factor of the unborn baby....i.e. at the 28th and 34th week and if the baby is Rh+ve another dose after delivery or miscarriage or vaginal bleeding.

You are very correct. That is the standard practice. However we have our peculiarities in this country. It is not everyone that enjoys health insurance and most dont cover the drug because it is very expensive for our women to afford.

2 weeks ago, I advised a couple to start making arrangement for the drug, when the made enquiries, the price ranged between N40,000 to N43,000.

So cost is a very serious factor hence most doctors resort to giving it after birth.

Thanks for this insight.
Cheers!!
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Water101(f): 7:38pm On Jun 01, 2018
In situation that are delicate God can still intervane,in d bible horse,chariot,ship are still means of transport paul traveled to preach,jesus went on boat.i wonder were u got have faith to appear in america 4rm,one of d tym dat happened was with philip d evangelist.faith anyway is beyound human wisdom or reasoning.am nt trying to spoil ur work if u are doc but i would advice people to seek God and not idolize science.why should people go to God as a last resort. [quote author=ChelseaDr post=68092074]
I think we should understand that God is and we should stop spiritualizing everything. Some things should be corrected here.

is real even though ignorance made people of old (and sadly some today) believe that the cause of the death of their babies were spiritual.

The assertion you made about CS here is totally wrong. There are clear indications for CS and when a woman merits such and is advised by her doctor, she has the right to reject or accept it. However some reasons for CS do not mean that the
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by dancewith: 7:46pm On Jun 01, 2018
This is an interesting piece and one we need to take away some salient facts

A woman that is Rhesus negative does not need the injection if her husband or whoever got her pregnant is Rhesus negative. Sensitization would not occur. The problem is whether the woman is sure of who got her pregnant

This story shows this woman was already sensitized before her marriage. She has some explanation to give her husband on what happened

Women need to know their Rhesus factor as even an abortion is enough to activate sentization . We are all aware how common our woman do abortion these days

Finally Rhesus combatibity should be a must for couples intending to marry. If the woman is Rhesus negative the man should be interested in her life history ....any abortion, miscarriage etc

2 Likes

Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Water101(f): 7:50pm On Jun 01, 2018
Sweetland:

Why don't you sit at home and wait for God to do everything for you. Doctors are there to help you, God has already answered that prayer by providing knowledge for the cure. The same applies to malaria, typhoid and all other diseases with cure. Probably the woman you are referring to was misdiagnosed. I have also seen someone who said she will never have a caesarian section, she died and the baby was brought out weak.
what of situation doctor say they cant handle that is when u can remember God.our generation live by sight.yet we can't please God dat way.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Amazinpeace(f): 8:02pm On Jun 01, 2018
Enlightening..
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Water101(f): 8:04pm On Jun 01, 2018
rinzylee:

Wisdom is profitable to direct. Faith and Mental ascent are not the same.
Since you have Faith, why don't you close your eyes while crossing an Express Road? I believe in JESUS and the power of Faith and miracles but I perform due diligence too. Get tested and know your status, it's not faithlessness... It's wisdom.
When we have done what is necessary and the situation refuses to align then we use the rod and divide the red Sea.

God respects principles!!!
what is necessary dat should be done is wat?this same wisdom is foolisness to God likewise faith is foolishness to a man. Human wisdom is foolishness to a man with understanding of d things of d spirit.is there anywhere dat jesus said kill urself on purpose d example u gave is one.it is pleasing to trust God for our healing hearing what d doctor say is sowing seed of doubt. Am nt surprised we are in d last days.
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by rinzylee(m): 8:20pm On Jun 01, 2018
Water101:
what is necessary dat should be done is wat?this same wisdom is foolisness to God likewise faith is foolishness to a man. Human wisdom is foolishness to a man with understanding of d things of d spirit.is there anywhere dat jesus said kill urself on purpose d example u gave is one.it is pleasing to trust God for our healing hearing what d doctor say is sowing seed of doubt. Am nt surprised we are in d last days.

No wahala.... Practise your Faith and I will combine mine with wisdom
Re: My Challenges With Rhesus Factor In Pregnancy And How I Overcame It by Katier00(f): 9:23pm On Jun 01, 2018
Switup:
you know the government we in... that may take years . but you can do sth by enlightening us here on nl if you are knowledgeable and vast in that field
you are right. The op has given out the major points about the rhesus factors and you know the case of rehsus negative is very rare, only 15% of the world's population. Here in Nigeria it is most common among the Yorubas than other ethnic groups. It is however very important that we all know our blood group and always move with a tag that indicates our blood group , in case of accident or emergency that might require blood transfusion. A rehsus negative person can not receive blood from a fellow positive person.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Common Birth Control Myths / Blessing Timidi-Digha's Two Children Die In Fire Outbreak (Photos) / Coronavirus: All Three Suspected Cases Have Tested Negative

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 109
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.