Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,528 members, 7,819,904 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 06:03 AM

Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? - Properties - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Properties / Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? (534 Views)

PVC Rain Gutter Installation And Supplies / Pvc Rain Gutter Installation And Supplies / Rain Gutter (water Collector) Available For Sale (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? by Raincache: 8:09pm On Jun 01, 2018
If you need further assistance installing or buying gutter materials please call 08158942188 or visit www.raincache.ng

A Rain Gutter System collects rainwater from the roofline of a house and diverts it away from the structure, using elbows and downspouts.

• The purpose of this diversion is to prevent water flow off the roof edge which can cause structural damage over time to the walls and/or foundation of a house.
• The gutter system is more important to the exterior of your home than the actual paint, siding, or even windows, because it protects your home from rot, mold, mildew, and flooding.
• This water damage, without a gutter system, occurs slowly, spreads quickly, and is unnoticeable until the damage repair is substantial.
• For your gutter system to work properly, it must be able to empty out the water faster than it fills up.

In order to ensure the proper flow of water, the following are vital to the success of the overall gutter system:
1) Slope or pitch of gutter
2) Downspout placement
3) Keeping the gutters debris free
4) Using correct parts and accessories
Re: Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? by Raincache: 8:41pm On Jun 01, 2018
To determine how much material will be needed.

-Sketch and measure the roof-line

-Obtain the perimeter/ linear footage measurements of the roof-line. i.e the length of the horizontal rain gutter runs along the roof line.

-Then count up the inside and outside corners and end caps (note whether they are right or left ends).

-One drain outlet is recommended for every 40ft (12meters) of gutter.

-So to determine the downspout needed, Measure the height of the building and add 4 ft. to it for the extension away from the house at the -bottom, then multiply by the number of drain outlets.

-Each drain outlet requires three elbows (and five for a house with cantilever). There are two types of elbows that turn either to the front or side of the downspout. Most installations require only front elbows, but occasionally you may need a side elbow, usually to turn the downspout extension sideways.

- 5 to 7 hangers for every 4 meters section of gutter

more about gutter accesories >> https://www.nairaland.com/4469877/rainwater-collector-what-accessories-need

Re: Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? by Raincache: 8:50pm On Jun 01, 2018
Here are a few planning tips:

- Make use of the scaffolding used for plastering/painting

- Slope long gutter runs (40 ft. or more) down both directions from the middle and put a downspout on each end

- Mark the downspout locations, Locate downspouts in unobstructed areas where water can be directed away from the house. Avoid
locations with obstacles like electric meters, hose bibs or sidewalks.

- Place downspouts in inconspicuous locations if possible.

- Buy special roof hanger mounting straps for houses without fascia boards or for fascias that aren’t vertical.
Re: Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? by Raincache: 8:55pm On Jun 01, 2018
Installation Guidelines

A) Gutters shall have a minimum pitch of ¼” for every 10 feet of single section.

B) Downspouts shall be installed at every 40 feet.

C) Gutter, miters, Outlets and Elbows and downspout will be screwed or riveted to the adjoining section for security.

D) The components will be screwed or riveted to the adjoining section with an approved sealant. Field cut miters, Box miters, and Strip miters are all acceptable forms of installation.

E) Hangers will be spaced a maximum 24”-36” inches apart on any continuous gutter run for strength and stability of the overall system
Re: Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? by Raincache: 9:28pm On Jun 04, 2018
Installation Procedure:

1. After determining how much material will be needed, decide where the
downspouts will be. Be sure to practice safety.

2. You need to slope the gutter at least ¼ inch of drop for every 10ft towards the downspout to ensure that the water flows towards the downspout.

3. We begin by driving a nail into the fascia at one end of the gutter-run wall a half-inch
below the top of the fascia. Stretch a mason's line from the nail. To properly
align the slope (using a line level on the mason's line) drop one end of the line a
1/4 inch for every 10 feet of fascia length, then mark that point with a pencil.
Snap a chalk line from the marks to show where the top of the gutter will be
attached.

4. Pitch longer runs toward an outlet at either end, as opposed to just one end.
It is recommended that gutter is pitched away from the front valleys and towards the
corners.

5. Using the chalk line to keep the gutters flush with the slope line, slope
towards the outlet and downspout and continue this process with all gutter
sections.

6. Use hidden fasteners to attach the gutter to the fascia. Hidden fasteners are slipped into the gutter run, and then the gutter is screwed into the fascia with a drill and screws. Hidden fasteners are placed every 24-36 inches along the gutter run
Re: Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? by Obosa1: 10:06am On Jul 18, 2018
@Raincache, I want to publicly commend you for a job well done on my Benin project. I came across your details on nairaland about 2 weeks ago. I called from disapora and we negotiated terms and conditions. I was very sceptical about making payment to someone I haven't met or thoroughly vetted.

But your attitude and approach was exceptional. You allayed my concerns and went on to complete the installation of water collector on my property within 3-4 days instead of the 1 week you committed to. Product and installation warranty you provided at the end of the job without me chasing. You provided daily progress updates with pictures without any prompting from me. In fact I am more than satisfied with your delivery and attitude I felt the need to leave this public review.

I pray you continue on this path and continue to be a person of integrity. Your gift will make room for you. God bless you.

This review is from a silent nairaland and unsolicited. I believe good people should be encouraged.
Re: Rain Gutter Installation: Do You Need To Install Roof Gutters? by Raincache: 11:42pm On Aug 12, 2018
Obosa1:
@Raincache, I want to publicly commend you for a job well done on my Benin project. I came across your details on nairaland about 2 weeks ago. I called from disapora and we negotiated terms and conditions. I was very sceptical about making payment to someone I haven't met or thoroughly vetted.

But your attitude and approach was exceptional. You allayed my concerns and went on to complete the installation of water collector on my property within 3-4 days instead of the 1 week you committed to. Product and installation warranty you provided at the end of the job without me chasing. You provided daily progress updates with pictures without any prompting from me. In fact I am more than satisfied with your delivery and attitude I felt the need to leave this public review.

I pray you continue on this path and continue to be a person of integrity. Your gift will make room for you. God bless you.

This review is from a silent nairaland and unsolicited. I believe good people should be encouraged.

Thank you for going this far to testify to the quality of service we provide. We really appreciate it Ma. And THANK YOU for the tip! God Bless You

(1) (Reply)

To Let Affordable Room And Parlor Self Contain 102k Per Yr / Anyone Know Anywhere I Can Get Steels Doors / American Panel Doors / For Sale""" Clean 3bedroom Detached Bungalow @ Surulèré +pics

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.