Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,630 members, 7,809,348 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 08:08 AM

A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) - Literature - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) (801 Views)

Bloody Train Of Heaven | (A Thriller) How Hard Can You Fight For Your Life / The Nigerian Wing Of Heaven - A Short Story / Don't Laugh Me, Love Me ( A Short Story) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by seantunes(m): 5:22pm On Jun 03, 2018
Copyright
©2017

Anyone who wishes to repost this story to any other online forum, Facebook group, blog or any other website should endeavour to acknowledge the author's identity and kindly notify the author. God bless you all.[b][/b]
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by seantunes(m): 5:26pm On Jun 03, 2018
Book cover

Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by seantunes(m): 5:30pm On Jun 03, 2018
A JOURNEY TO HEAVEN
This book is solely a work of fiction.

CHAPTER 1
On a Friday while i was in class, i received a phone call from my aunt in the village. She was sobbing over the phone.

"Aunty what is it?", i asked severally.

"Brother Eugene is gone. He has left us for the beyond", she managed to say in between her sobs.

"Is it the same brother Eugene who drives a Peugeot 504? who believes in no religion? Who is........"

"We have no two Eugene in our family. It is still the same brother Eugene we know", she said, then broke down crying again.

I cut the call. I wasn't sad. I hated bro Eugene. As a child, i once spilled his palm wine and he flogged me with a computer wire till i fainted. And as my parents told me, he even kept on flogging my fainted body. That incidence made me leave the village for a boarding school in the city.

As one of his nephew who was above 18, my presence was needed on the village. I wouldn't have gone if not for the fear of my village people. I didn't want them to table a meeting on my case. Couples of my friends had run mad either because they were ordered to come home but refused or they were getting too successful.

I visited the church to pray before i packed my bags and left for the village. The journey was tiresome. The potholes seemed unending but i made it alive to my family house.

The three storey building was packed with people. Some were wailing, others sobbed silently. Only few had sullen faces on. The children all filed under a tree ,they wore sad looks as well, but their sadness didn't come from my uncle's death but rather from the elder who seized their ball and threw abusive words at them as soon as I entered.

I greeted all the elders sitting. I greeted the women too but they acted like i was invincible. Their eyes were bloodshot and they sniffed continuously. The children were the only one who came running to hug me. Shouting "bwoda Mukky". I gave them 10 naira notes each which brought wider smiles in their face.

I sat myself on the arranged chair in front of the yard. The oldest of my uncles came forth with a microphone.

"His burial commences now. Please lets be attentive", he announced in our native tongue.

After everywhere was silent he spoke. He talked about uncle Eugene charity works even though he was an atheist. He prayed for him to be accepted into heaven. He.......

The coffin began to shake then stopped. Everyone sprang up. The atmosphere became tense. The coffin began to shake again, this time more violently. Fear gripped everyone. Some of the family elders moved towards it with some agile men who were part of the mourners. They opened the coffin and my uncle's head popped out. He sat up and screamed,
"Jesus is real, heaven exists. I am a witness"
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by seantunes(m): 5:32pm On Jun 03, 2018
CHAPTER 2
Uncle Eugene was helped out of the coffin. Everyone encircled him. Phones were already lifted in the air videotaping him. Every sullen face was now replaced with a shock.

"Mukky!! Come!", my uncle screamed.

Reluctantly, I fought my way through the crowd over to him. He smiled at me, exposing his gap tooth. Then placed his palm on my shoulder.

"God ordered I and you to start a ministry together", he announced.

"Uncle... I already changed my religion to Islam over a year ago", I countered.

"I was an unbeliever before but here I am now a Christian. This is prove that Christianity is the road to paradise"

There was hallelujah chants among the crowd.

Arguing was going to be fruitless. "I will think about it", I proposed.

"There is nothing to think about, the proof his here right in your front. I witnessed what only few are chanced to see"

My phone rang at that instance. I used that as a getaway from him. I went outside to pick the call. It turned out to be a message from MTN.

By the time I returned inside, bro Eugene was telling tales of his trip to heaven. There was awe written all over the onlookers face. I didn't buy his tales. My religion told me occurrences like this were false.

In the night, I and brother Eugene sat alone in his room after eating a meal of boiled sorghum with palm oil.

"Mukky are you ready to build a ministry with me?", He asked.

"I will like to ask some questions first before I make up my mind", I proposed.

His facial expression changed. A frown crossed his face. "Ask what you will?"

"When you died where did you find yourself?", I asked.

"On a very long road"

"Describe how the road was like and how long it took you to get to heaven gate?"

He looked at me for a while before he replied, "the road had very tall trees with green leaves in both sides. The road was plated with Gold. It took me over thirty minutes to get to heaven gate", he narrated.

"Who did you meet at the gate?"

"An angel"

"Afterwards what happened"

"I was walking on clouds when a brightness shown and told me to kneel. I obeyed. The brightness spoke that he was God and he was giving me one more chance to return to earth and create a ministry with you. He then ordered an angel to show me paradise and hell so u can tell people how it looked like", uncle Eugene narrated.

I heaved and stayed silent for a while before talking. "God is great.... ...tell me again how the road to heaven look like?"

"The road was filled with roses and the floor was made of silver. There were trees with very white leaves in both sides. It was a sight to behold"

"When you got to heaven gate what did you do?", I asked, showing interest.

"The door was open. No one was there so I just entered. The gate was the finest gate and longest I have ever seen"

I cleared my throat, " but uncle you said that the road was plated with Gold and there were tall trees with green leaves but now you said the ground was made of silver and the trees had very white leaves. And before you said you said you met an angel at the gate and now you said the gate was with no one and it was wide open", I poured out.
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by seantunes(m): 5:33pm On Jun 03, 2018
CHAPTER 3
Brother Eugene fumed.

"What nonsense are you saying! So you are trying to call me a liar!", He retorted.

"Uncle calm down"

"Shut up there! It's you that should calm down!"

I brought out my phone. "Uncle listen", I said, then played a clip on the phone.

All what my uncle said started playing on the phone. Bro Eugene was sober now.

"Mukky let's keep secrets to ourselves", brother Eugene pleaded.

"I knew from the start you were lying. You know what? I will air it on radio", I threatened.

Uncle Eugene went on his knees.

"Mukky I beg you", he pleaded. "I will do anything for you I beg of you"

"Ok I will....."

I was cut short as he dashed for my phone. He tried to grab it from me but I resisted. We both crash on a table nearby. All the plates on it came crashing on the ground. People ran in to the room. In no time it was flooded.

Everyone kept asking what happened.

"Destroy that phone in his hand, it is filled with devilish materials", brother Eugene screamed.

People dashed for my phone. I jumped to a corner of the room.

"Calm down everyone. Brother Eugene secret is in this phone"

"It's a lie ooo"

"Silence!", The oldest elder in the family who read his rites spoke.

The room went silent.

"Give me the phone", he ordered.

I obeyed.

"What is in the phone?", He asked.

"I have a secret of Brother Eugene on it"

"Show me"

I played the recording and everyone listened. After the recording, all eyes turned on him.

Bro Eugene dashed for the door but he didn't make it there fast. Hands came slapping him, hitting him furiously in the head. Some went outside and returned back with planks, sticks or rods. They all came crashing on him before the oldest elder could stop them. Brother Eugene was already in the pool of his own blood. His body lying lifelessly on the ground.

The oldest elder spoke. "May his soul rest in peace now"

THE END
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by seantunes(m): 5:35pm On Jun 03, 2018
This was a very fast write by me. I completed this story within 30 mins.
Drop your thoughts on this story. Thank you all.
#supportthroughcomments
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by Akinwale14(m): 6:44pm On Jun 03, 2018
Nice Story
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by Nobody: 7:09pm On Jun 03, 2018
A nice story. How did Eugene resurrect? Why did Eugene lie about going to Heaven and Hell? Why did they kill Eugene instead of asking Him questions on his actions? Lot of questions to be answered. I suggest you make this into a story, it will make a lot of sense. Just put in effort. You can do it!!! God bless.
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by seantunes(m): 9:19pm On Jun 03, 2018
Godwindanielboy:
A nice story. How did Eugene resurrect? Why did Eugene lie about going to Heaven and Hell? Why did they kill Eugene instead of asking Him questions on his actions? Lot of questions to be answered. I suggest you make this into a story, it will make a lot of sense. Just put in effort. You can do it!!! God bless.
Thanks for your input. Appreciated big time
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by seantunes(m): 9:19pm On Jun 03, 2018
Akinwale14:
Nice Story
Thanks a bunch
Re: A Journey To Heaven (a Short Story) by Akinwale14(m): 2:17pm On Jun 04, 2018
seantunes:
Thanks a bunch
Ur Welcome Bro

(1) (Reply)

Tafawa, 'After Freedom, What Follows?' / JUST RELEASED: The Perfect Blend Of Corporate Intrigue And Sexy, Office Romance. / Colorless Rainbow - Episode 11

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.