Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,608 members, 7,809,227 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 06:04 AM

My First World Cup: Peter Odemwingie - Sports - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Sports / My First World Cup: Peter Odemwingie (1424 Views)

Odemwingie Still Wants To Play For Nigeria / Wenger Bid £4m For Peter Odemwingie / Osaze Peter Odemwingie (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

My First World Cup: Peter Odemwingie by Lagerback: 11:28am On May 30, 2010
By Rafael Saakov

Nigeria striker Peter Odemwingie has told the BBC he will look to the great Super Eagles performances in the World Cups of the 1990s as he prepares to make his own debut in the tournament.
Odemwingie, who has scored nine goals in 47 games for Nigeria, will be making his World Cup bow six years after first being called up for the national team.
And he said he was inspired by Nigeria's famous displays at USA '94 - where they reached the last 16 - and France '98.
"I remember each and every one of their goals - of Rachid Yakini, Amunike, Amokachi, Siasia, George - I remember all their goals, and the dramatic game against Italy, that we lost 2-1 after leading," he told BBC World Service.
"I remember France '98, with the super goal from Sunday Oliseh from almost 40 metres. Great memories, of course, of the Nigerian team performing in the World Cup.
"Now it's my time to do something for my country and to be remembered as someone who did something great in the World Cup."
Final emotion
Odemwingie, who was born in Uzbekistan when it was part of the Soviet Union, had the option to play for Russia - but instead chose to play for the country of his father, and was first picked for the Super Eagles in 2004.
However, they unexpectedly failed to qualify for the 2006 World Cup after only finishing level on points with Angola - who went to Germany by virtue of having a superior record in matches between the two teams.
South Africa 2010, therefore, represents the 28-year-old Lokomotiv Moscow player's first chance to shine at this level, despite having secured nearly 50 caps.

He admitted, however, that he would still have to fight to ensure he starts the first Group B match, against Argentina on 12 June - before further games against South Korea and Greece.
"For the last few years, I've been one of the key players in the team - but that doesn't mean that the new coach [Lars Lagerback] doesn't have his own views," he said.
"You still have to fight for the shirt, even though it's not like five or six years ago when I was new in the national team - when I wasn't confident of being in the 18 or 23 player list for the game.
"Now I am confident that I have proven myself for Nigeria, that I am going to be there. I am looking forward to being in good health, and relate well with the new coach."
Odemwingie also said he gets "very emotional" after the final of each tournament, when he sees the winning captain hoisting the famous gold trophy.
"I feel the happiness they have, because it's like a dream come true for everyone," he said.
"As good as your team is, as big as you are as a star, you still don't know if you're going to win it, and if you're going to hold that cup in your hands. So when I see a big player raising that cup with so much joy, I feel it's very encouraging - that nothing is impossible."

MY FIRST WORLD CUP XI

11 players making their debut on the World Cup stage at South Africa 2010
Miguel Pinto
Daniel Alves
Matthew Booth
Diego Lugano
Victor Caceres
Efrain Juarez
Nenad Milijas
Hassan Yebda
Juan Mata
Amado Guevara
Peter Odemwingie
Known for his pace, Odemwingie shot to prominence when he scored two goals at the San Siro while playing for Lille against AC Milan in the Champions League.
By the time of the 2010 African Nations Cup, he was captain of the national team, where they got to the semi-finals.
Odemwingie also spoke of his "pride" that Africa was finally hosting a World Cup tournament - and added he felt it would definitely give Nigeria an advantage.
"Africa is Africa - it's like a happy continent; it's a colourful continent.
"We will feel more at home, because we will feel the atmosphere still; you know that you are in Africa. At the same time, we will have lots of supporters.
"You have a lot of Nigerians living there, you have those who will travel. I will have my own support - my parents and my sister; her husband; the kids - some friends from Nigeria and some friends from Europe.
"When I look at them sitting there, I will feel like I am not alone. We will have a lot of support, more than in any other country - 20-30,000 Nigerians will travel, and you have 10,000 living in South Africa - so every game will have the feeling of playing a home qualification game."
And he added he had no doubts that South Africa would put on a good show.
"Last year's Confederation Cup showed a little bit that it is going to be a good tournament," Odemwingie explained.
"And that is not even all about it. It is going to be better than that. It's the proof that Africa has developed - it's a continent that is running a little bit behind Europe and America, for instance, but this is the proof that it is not stagnant; that things are happening there.
"People have visions, have plans, that's why they can invite people - the whole world - to come and see how far they have gone in developing their country; they can invite people for such a big tournament.
"It's a message to the world that we're here. We're not on top, but we're heading there. I think it's the first shout-out of Africa that we're coming."

Re: My First World Cup: Peter Odemwingie by semid4lyfe(m): 11:40am On May 30, 2010
Correct Guy! If we had 10 other players like him we'd win the world cup. I doff my hat to you . . .Peter Osaze Odemwingie

Question
I know Osaze was eligible to play for Russia but was he ever invited/called-up by the Russian National team?
Re: My First World Cup: Peter Odemwingie by Lagerback: 11:57am On May 30, 2010
Odemwingie chose to pledge his allegiances to the national football team of Nigeria, although he was also eligible for Russia

http://ndn.nigeriadailynews.com/templates/?a=13355
A young player with dual nationality, there are those who believe that it would have been better for Osaze to play for the Russian national team, but he said that his goal had always been to play for the Super Eagles. "My heart has always been with the Nigerian team, and my father has always wanted me to play for Nigeria. I see myself more Nigerian than Russian and I am sure my mom would understand this," he said. Osaze has 23 caps and five goals to his name with the Nigeria national team. He was in the Nigeria team in the 2004 Africa Cup of Nations, scoring three goals in five games and the 2006 Africa Cup of Nations were he played in the semi-final 0-1 loss to Ivory Coast. At the just concluded 26th edition of the Nations Cup in Ghana, Osaze complain bitterly that many of his colleagues in the team were not 100 percent committed to the national team.
Re: My First World Cup: Peter Odemwingie by abrahym(m): 12:53pm On May 30, 2010
hmm is dis d real lagerback or photocopy?
Re: My First World Cup: Peter Odemwingie by dominique(f): 8:10pm On May 30, 2010
abrahym:

hmm is dis d real lagerback or photocopy?

original fake grin

(1) (Reply)

Can Tb Joshua Be Blamed For The Failure Of Ghana Afcon 2012? Pls Comment: / Cristiano Ronaldo Launches Range Of Underwear (images) / .

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 45
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.