Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,902 members, 7,828,183 topics. Date: Wednesday, 15 May 2024 at 04:43 AM

On Saraki And The Need To Reform Police Prosecutors - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / On Saraki And The Need To Reform Police Prosecutors (395 Views)

Atiku Reacts To The Siege Laid On Saraki And Ekweremadu's Residences / Nigerians React To The Siege Laid On Saraki And Ekweremadu's Residences / Supreme Court Judgment On Saraki : I’m Surprised, Says Sagay (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

On Saraki And The Need To Reform Police Prosecutors by pacino26(m): 3:51am On Jun 05, 2018
"Be mindful of how you question this police officer counsel, he is a smart one"

Those were the words from a High Court Judge to a young lawyer trying to defend his client in a robbery case. It ended bad for his client. Story for another day.

To the topic, the Nigerian public prosecution as exhibited by the police and DSS in recent years ended very badly for our justice system.

Need I remind us that Kabiru Sokoto ended up suing the DSS, Evans is in court defending his properties and raising series of motions against the NPF just to mention a few.
The need to interpret statements and confessions made by persons under detention or during arrest is the key thing our law enforcement lacks.
Looking at the Saraki saga, the minds of many have deviated from the laudable and tactical deployment of intelligence to bring the criminals to lime light by DCP Abba Kayri and his team of smart men of the NPF (I wonder where SARS was).
The EFCC is verrrrrrrry fond of media trials of their high profile cases before building up an actual case giving room for defense from the accuse before proper prosecution.

What's the way forward;
1-Reorganization of the Force legal department
It is common practice to have every Tom in the NPF who arrested Mr A to ask A questions and even coerce A into making confessional statements that will not be admissible in court. Guilty or not Mr A is free. Why can't we have real lawyers making these interrogations, cross examining the entire event within the legal framework?
2-Reduce haste in media statements;
Every commander wants to be in the news to justify his posting with little or no knowledge of the consequences of their action on the case being investigated. Arrest is never same as conviction. I wonder when they will learn.

The list goes on.

My advice to DCP Abba Kayri, get your own team of prosecutors since you have two known units under your command. That way, those criminals you want to serve justice will have a table full to dine.

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

President Buhari Confers National Honours To Iyorchia Ayu, Others / It’s Confusing For Buhari To Honour Abiola And Admire Abacha” – Soyinka / Suicide: ''we Are Yet To Receive Any Report Of A Missing Person - Lagos Police

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 12
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.