Stats: 3,153,084 members, 7,818,246 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:08 AM

South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation (1069 Views)

Osinbajo, Tinubu, Fayemi, Aregbesola Attend APC South West Leaders Parley / Osinbajo & Tinubu Meet & Greet At South-West Leaders' Meeting (Photo) / Tinubu, South-West Leaders Reject Yoruba Nation, Support Ban On Open Grazing (2) (3) (4)

South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by seguntijan(m): 5:02am On Jun 06, 2018
I am not saying that South West governors are saints but on the balance of probability, they deserve our commendation. What are the resources available to states of Osun, Ekiti and Oyo compare to the oil rich Niger Delta states?Yet they were able to deliver on some of their promises. As we speak, Oyo state Technical University has taken off with 220 students and 120 of the lots with full scholarships fully paid for the 5 years duration of the school programme. Each local government in the state puts down money for three students for 5 years duration after a competitive exams- post JAMB . The State government foot the bills of the remaining 100 together with state -of -the -art equipment.All the students are indigenes of Oyo State.

Human memory is indeed very short in this clime. Before Buhari came on board, the highest megawatts of electricity was 2,700, today under Fashola's watch it is 7, 315 Megawatts.(Source: FBS).
Again under Fashola's watch the Enugu -Onitsha express way is under massive reconstruction. Reconstruction! yes because I remember joking with Pius Anyim, the former SGF, if we should not undertake hunting expedition between Awgu and Awka on the road when the roguish Jonathan regime was in power. The contract for the re-construction of the road was awarded to a roguish traditional ruler in the South and no finger was lifted to repair the road after mobilisation fee was paid.
In fairness to Olisa Metuh,he confided in me on our flight to Abuja from Owerri that some Ndigbo elites complained to Jonathan over the abandoned road contract but the latter was said to be too weak to move against the influential traditional ruler because Jonathan needed the support of the former for the 2015 general election.
The Enugu Umuahi-Aba-PH road is under massive reconstruction as we speak and ditto Owerri - Okigwe road again under Fashola watch. These are roads some of us ply on a fortnightly basis. Femi Falana SAN and I at a time once discussed the performances of the Southwest governors vis -a- vis their Southsouth counterparts prior to 2015 general elections and we were in agreement that the former were super performers compared to the latter. Our opinion on that day at Owerri Airport was that if four of the Southsouth Governors then had governed the Southwest , they would have been lynched partly because of the enormous resources at their disposals. The revenues accruable to Akwa Ibom alone in four years were far more than what went the way of the entire Southeast to the extent that Imo and Anambra state Governors had to make it a media issue in 2014.
Give credit to South Westerners when it comes to making their political leaders accountable. Go to Epe axis today and see the superlative performance of the wonder boy called Ambode. Epe is now the place to be and the new exit axis from Lagos to Ore, Benin, Onitsha and PH. The Ajah bridge, the Alimosho roads, the link and suspended bridges that linked Admiralty to Ikoyi and VI to Falomo, the Mile2-Badagry 8 lanes expressways were the handiwork of Ambode and Fashola without oil derivation funds, NDDC allocation and Ministry of Niger Delta special allocations.
My compatriot, Fagbemi SAN, on his first time of plying the Link super bridge between Gerrald road Ikoyi and Admiralty in Lekki exclaimed, "Niyi, are we on London bridge ?" and I replied, " no bro, we are on Fashola bridge." I immediately called BRF as we drove towards the toll gate of the bridge and teased him "Excellency, someone is trading off your bridge on Admiralty for London bridge oo" He then spoke with Fagbemi and I on phone and we laughed over the issue. Pray if I may ask my Brother Wale Okesola, ( I have no reason to doubt his identity) what is the percentage of the IGR in Lagos compared to the oil windfalls accruable to the major oil producing states of Akwa Ibom, Bayelsa, Rivers and Delta? Check the figures and you will weep for the Niger Deltans.
Today practically everyone East of the Niger want to live and die in the South Western part of Nigeria. Go to Abeokuta, Sagamu, Ijebuode and Otta/ Agbara in Ogun state and see the miracles of infrastructural developments. Move further inland to Ibadan, Iseyin, Oyo, Ogbomosho and Saki in Oyo State and see the the massive network of roads, completed and ongoing, with touch of class. Move to Osun state and what mega schools should look like and proceed to Ondo and Ekiti states even under the PDP governments of Mimiko and Fayose, you will dole out medals to Southwest Governors if you compare them with their counterparts in the Soutsouth.
As a nomadic legal practitioner who knows every part of this country like the back of my hands, "b'omo eni ba dara k'awi " If your daughter is pretty, let's say so. I am not saying that South West governors are saints but on the balance of probability, they deserve our commendation. What are the resources available to states of Osun, Ekiti and Oyo compare to the oil rich Niger Delta states? Yet they were able to deliver on some of their promises. As we speak, Oyo state Technical University has taken off with 220 students and 120 of the lots with full scholarships fully paid for the 5 years duration of the school programme. Each local government in the state puts down money for three students for 5 years duration after a competitive exams- post JAMB . The State government foot the bills of the remaining 100 together with state -of -the -art equipments. All the students are indigenes of Oyo State. Many people don't appreciate the fact that Lagos state share the same terrain with Niger Delta states. Even some parts of Ogun state such as Ijebu waterside, Agbara and Tongesi Island. The question is how has it been that these two South western states have been able to conquer their coastal environment but their Niger Delta counterparts have not been able to? Have you noticed the road constructions in the South west? Go out and take pictures and see massive drainage with walkways and roads wide enough to take light aircraft. If in doubt, visit Epe and Badagry in Lagos, Ijebuode, Sagamu and Abeokuta in Ogun State and Toll gate/Challenge, Onireke, Alesinloye and Eleyele in Ibadan , Iseyin and Ogbomosho in Oyo state.
The reasons for all these developments are not far fetched. The South Westerners suffer no fool gladly. The major Principal of the Southwest governors, Asiwaju Bola Ahmed Tinubu, who talent- hunted most of the Governors in the Southwest had set the template, laid the foundation for them all to build on. He is the compass and navigator through which all the Governors are mirrored. There is a minimum irreducible level to which they all must attain and a despicable level to which they all must not descend.
In Yorubaland, you must not cross the level of Omoluabi to that of charlatans. The resultant effect could be devastating not only to the culprit but also unto his children and grandchildren. Generally, an average Yoruba man is a very sensitive homo sapien always eager to read their leaders, their motives and intentions. When you meet a real Omoluabi, he detests feudalism and hates authoritarianism. You can keep your food, money, or gift for all he cares but don't oppress him. He would reject your food and go hungry. These traits are well known to the Governors and they try as much as possible to keep within their bounds. Respect for elders and tradition is sine qua non in Yorubaland. "Owo omode o to pepe, t'agbalagba o wo keregbe." The young one may not be able to pluck the kernel from the Palm tree whist the thickness of the elder's arm would not give him free access into the guord."
The sins of Jonathan government are still very much before us and in our consciousness. PMB may be slow, the economy may still be crawling, herdsmen menace may be staring us in the face etc but I would vote PMB ten times over Jonathan. May the likes of Deziani, Stella Oduah, Patience Jonathan, Dasuki etc never navigate our political waters again and again but give me more of the Fasholas, the Ambodes, the Oshiomholes, the Donald Dukes, the Peter Obis, the Ajimobis, the Amosuns, the Mimikos and the Gojes of this country and so help me God. My brother Ndoma Egba SAN, informed us at a gathering of learned friends that 99% of the NDDC contracts awarded under Jonathan and fully paid for were neither documented nor executed and that it would take the EFCC more than a century to unravel the massive corruption in that establishment. God help Nigeria. Can that happen in the Southwest ? Certainly not.

Adeniyi Akintola(SAN).

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by jidamsel43(m): 5:18am On Jun 06, 2018
you have a valid point. South west can never be compared with other states even without Lagos state.
I am presently in Aba, the commercial and industrial hub of Igbo land but despite the resources available and taxes that government collected, this place is synonymous with bad road and lack of infrastructure.

The government in Abia state tax the people colonial era and still nothing to show for it

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by balosunky(m): 5:23am On Jun 06, 2018
Truth being told, Yoruba has the best human resources in Nigeria. Awolowo did more for his people than the other premiers no matter how much u hate him fact remains fact

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by diebuhari1: 6:02am On Jun 06, 2018
These Yoruba Muslims sef.
Igbos Igbos Igbos everytime.

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by orisa37: 6:06am On Jun 06, 2018
Thank God for "ODUDUWA".
Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by GuyfawkesAB(m): 6:10am On Jun 06, 2018
Hmmmm
Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by IDeyNL: 6:22am On Jun 06, 2018
There is no article written by a Yoruba man that Igbo won't be mentioned.

Before the end of last paragraph, I knew Igbo would be made reference too. You see how the written stlishly left out the core north, even after many previous leaders in Nigeria came from there.

Seriously why can't a Yoruba man write an article and leave Igbos out?

Finally, Igbos don't travel anywhere outside Lagos, but the ignorant written said they travel to the whole southwest. What does an Igbos man have to do in Ogbosho or Ilesha?

Imagine the ignorant writer who has not passed Niger Bridge talking about infrastructure. We have consistently showed out Eastern Neighbourhood here many times. I've never seen decent Neighbourhoods in the SW aside Lagos. Hence all Yoruba man would want to claim lagosians because they are ashamed of their hometown.

A Yoruba man should for once try look in the faces of northerners and make comparison.

Yoruba please leave Igbos out of your yeye analysis

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by seguntijan(m): 6:48am On Jun 06, 2018
IDeyNL:
There is no article written by a Yoruba man that Igbo won't be mentioned.

Before the end of last paragraph, I knew Igbo would be made reference too. You see how the written stlishly left out the core north, even after many previous leaders in Nigeria came from there.

Seriously why can't a Yoruba man write an article and leave Igbos out?

Finally, Igbos don't travel anywhere outside Lagos, but the ignorant written said they travel to the whole southwest. What does an Igbos man have to do in Ogbosho or Ilesha?

Imagine the ignorant writer who has not passed Niger Bridge talking about infrastructure. We have consistently showed out Eastern Neighbourhood here many times. I've never seen decent Neighbourhoods in the SW aside Lagos. Hence all Yoruba man would want to claim lagosians because they are ashamed of their hometown.

A Yoruba man should for once try look in the faces of northerners and make comparison.

Yoruba please leave Igbos out of your yeye analysis

Because the Northerners never claimed to be developing another man's land,

they never instigate civil war,

they never claimed another man's land is theirs,

they accept the fact that they're backwards and look up to others for development,

they are not proud

they're trustworthy and sincere

8 Likes 3 Shares

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by DawatNama(m): 7:25am On Jun 06, 2018
Yorubas housing is as poor as their feeding, yorubas prefer crowding themselves in a ghetto to having decent housing

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by Maduawuchukwu(m): 8:03am On Jun 06, 2018
seguntijan:

they accept the fact that they're backwards and look up to others for development,

they are not proud

Lol. So we Igbo people are the backward ones who claimed to be progressive? Apart from Lagos which South West state has better indices than the East? Don't let the Ibadan expressway press receive you.

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by limeta(f): 8:55am On Jun 06, 2018
seguntijan:

they are not proud

The same north that gave us boko haram
Fulani herdsmen
Quota system
Own nigeria police and army
90% oil block you say are backward
Open yr eyes
Trustworthy and sincere what you smoking

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by PVision2020(m): 9:12am On Jun 06, 2018
confirm.
Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by DaBullIT(m): 10:39am On Jun 06, 2018
Gbefun !!!!!

Ile Yoruba

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by seguntijan(m): 3:46pm On Jun 06, 2018
Maduawuchukwu:

Lol. So we Igbo people are the backward ones who claimed to be progressive? Apart from Lagos which South West state has better indices than the East? Don't let the Ibadan expressway press receive you.

None of the South East state can be compared to Ekiti(the least developing state in South West) except Some part of Anambra
Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by Obagreatdatoye(m): 10:01pm On Jun 06, 2018
seguntijan:

None of the South East state can be compared to Ekiti(the least developing state in South West) except Some part of Anambra
u make sense.... till Jesus come, south east will never beat the progress and achievement of southwest... we still remain the number one region in Nigeria..... we lead others follow...Don't blame us blame God.

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by Nobody: 10:38pm On Jun 06, 2018
seguntijan:

u need Dr Agnes Nwamma so that u can fill alright
Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by Nobody: 10:39pm On Jun 06, 2018

Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by Randerl: 11:19pm On Jun 06, 2018
Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by AKswift: 11:28pm On Jun 06, 2018
The writer’s assertions are valid, expecially in the areas of public sector accountability, transparency and good governance. The Western states, fueled by strong cultural ties and the sense to promote regionalism, are leading the packs in present day Nigeria. There huge investment in public infrastructures, political intelligence and corporate business acumen has made this region a preferred investment destination.

Every region has the intrinsic qualities to develop only if they elect the right leaders and set in motion institutions that promote accountability and transparency in governance. For instance, development (by Nigerian standard) in the East is majorly done my her people, with little complementary effort from the government at all levels. The governmental structures there lack transparency and check and balances. For instance, it always come as a surprise why states like Abia and Anambra can’t record significant IGR returns annually. It could be monies are being siphoned, poor accountability or otherwise.
Re: South West Leaders Deserve Some Commendation by ZZ22: 11:42pm On Jun 06, 2018
seguntijan:

they are not proud

These Yoruba people self. Who took Illorin away from you and installed an Emir there? Igbos abi? Onye mgbu the killing of Christians across Middle Belt by Fulanis what does it instigate? National peace? Must Afonjas please Fulanis both offline and online

PDP Chieftain, Lawmaker Hail Buhari For Declaring June 12 Democracy Day / Poll- Kpi And Christian Governors In Nigeria / Visa Racketing In The Name Of The Vice President ( Prof.yemi Osibanjo) In S.A

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 51