Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,835 members, 7,820,916 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:42 AM

Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour (2171 Views)

M K O Abiola Vs Bashir Tofa 1993 General Election Who Won Kano State / The Moment Abacha Announced The Arrest Of Abiola For Declaring Self 'president' / Hafsat Abiola Apologizes To Buhari On Behalf Of Abiola Family (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by mmb(m): 8:37am On Jun 07, 2018
In 2012, then President Goodluck Jonathan immortalised MKO Abiola by naming University of Lagos after Abiola, though rebuffed by students.

Yesterday, President Buhari declared June 12 as democracy day and posthumously awarded Abiola GCFR.

What is your take on these two honours?
lalasticlala

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by TonyeBarcanista(m): 8:38am On Jun 07, 2018
University of Lagos aka UNILAG has evolved to be a strong brand in Nigeria's education community. Similar way Harvard University, Yale University, Oxford University, Cambridge University etc are brands in their respective countries and globally. Changing the name of such brand is never ideal, and doing that without due consultation with stakeholders (School management, student union, alumni, staffs etc) was a fatal error.

Jonathan got it wrong there...

On June 12 Democracy Day, it has been the aspiration among the Yorubas since return to democracy and Lagos state under Tinubu, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo States since 1999 have been declaring holidays on June 12 (I don't know if still in practice). I think this declaration meet the aspiration of Yoruba nation unlike the Unilag renaming. Buhari simply cashed on the aspiration!

The truth is that if Buhari had really wanted to honor Abiola he'd have done that prior to May 29 of 2016, 2017 and 2018.

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by CodeTemplar: 8:42am On Jun 07, 2018
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Truckpusher(m): 8:43am On Jun 07, 2018
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Oyindidi(f): 8:47am On Jun 07, 2018
Stand up and take power from these old men and stop celebrating mediocre

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by DabuIIIT: 8:53am On Jun 07, 2018
Tinibu/Buhari have succeeded in deceiving them grin

8 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by izombie(m): 8:53am On Jun 07, 2018
One was done with good intention but the other with votes in mind.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Chepos1(m): 8:54am On Jun 07, 2018
mmb:
In 2014, then President Goodluck Jonathan immortalised MKO Abiola by naming University of Lagos after Abiola, though rebuffed by students.

Yesterday, President Buhari declared June 12 as democracy day and posthumously awarded Abiola GCFR, award reserved for presidents.

What is your take on this two honours?

Even if u dance on water ur enemies will still accuse u of dirtying their shoes with dust.

If u kno, u kno.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by DoTheNeedful: 9:03am On Jun 07, 2018
DabuIIIT:
Buhari have succeeded in deceiving them grin

It is sad that many of you are making June 12 issue a Yoruba thing and making it a tribal issue. MKO was not elected a governor of Western region. He was voted the President of Nigeria. The annulment of the election represented a major "wrong" in the political history of Nigeria.

Much as some people might want to argue that Buhari is taking this step for political reasons as elections are approaching, rational minded people will agree that this step is a right one in at least attempting to right a wrong of a past that can't be undone. It is a victory for democracy. It is a victory for justice. It is a victory for many young Nigerians who died for this cause between 1993-1995.

The acknowledgment of June 12 by the FG cast a reproach on IBB, Abacha, David Mark, OBJ and so on. Yes the ignorant ones will cynically ask if this move will raise up MKO and make him president. It won't but it has set the records straight. It will make every Nigerian including the unborn children from every tribe know more about MKO, June 12 and the struggles.

@topic,
Naming Unilag after MKO is not enough. That confines MKO and makes his struggle a SW struggle. It was too little. Besides, renaming a first generation university after anyone will always backfire. The alumni of such schools might not like the idea as they will feel it will affect the brand of the school. Much as Awolowo was loved in the SW, many Yoruba graduates of OAU especially those who graduated before the school was renamed strongly hated the idea of the renaming although they love Awo.
I am not too sure if the alumni and students of UNN would have loved their university to be renamed after Ojukwu or any other leader. Mind you I specifically mention UNN because it is a first generation university.

The step by Buhari is just the right thing to do.

4 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by AkpaMgbor(m): 9:08am On Jun 07, 2018
mmb:
In 2014, then President Goodluck Jonathan immortalised MKO Abiola by naming University of Lagos after Abiola, though rebuffed by students.

Yesterday, President Buhari declared June 12 as democracy day and posthumously awarded Abiola GCFR, award reserved for presidents.

What is your take on this two honours?
The same reason the north rejected Jonathan’s free education for almajiri...ethno-religious hatred and nothing more.

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by SalamRushdie: 9:09am On Jun 07, 2018
All I know is that Buhari just played the South West because all he did was shift the date of a democracy day that already existed ...if any one wants to really imortalize MKO they should have named June 12 MKO Abiola Day and made it a full public holiday

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Blessynokoro: 9:28am On Jun 07, 2018
GEJ

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Blackfire(m): 9:31am On Jun 07, 2018
Election time, politician are extremely busy and nice.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by DoTheNeedful: 9:47am On Jun 07, 2018
AkpaMgbor:

The same reason the north rejected Jonathan’s free education for almajiri...ethno-religious hatred and nothing more.

Just by this comment. I can predict where you are from. It only take someone filled with hate to "easily" detect hate. The Yoruba people didn't reject the renaming of Unilag; the management, student and alumni did. Renaming a young university is always easier than naming a first generation university with a history and brand like Unilag. Just imagine Oxford University being renamed. Young as unilag is relative to Oxford, the school with four other first generation Nigerian univerisities are to Nigeria what Oxford and Cambridge are to the UK.

GEJ made the wrong move. He should have done what Buhari did. If he only named June 12 a national holiday, people would still have appreciated it but I think he was scared of the North.

You need to be more liberal in your thinking. You have hate in your blood.
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by kitakoli(m): 11:21am On Jun 07, 2018
The honor is commendable, but it should not sway people from the fact that this administration has failed monumentally in sensitive aspect of governance like security, overall standard of living, infrastructure e.t.c which should be the basis I would oblige the people Western Nigeria to use in voting out this nightmare.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by orisa37: 11:41am On Jun 07, 2018
GEJ's Honour was unduely innocent. PMB's Honour is unduely fraudulent. June 12 should be "MKO's RIGHTS DAY". No Victor: no Vanquish: no undue advantage taken by anyone. May 29 should remain Democracy Day.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by diegwu02: 11:53am On Jun 07, 2018
orisa37:
GEJ's Honour was unduely innocent.
PMB's Honour is unduely fraudulent.
June 12 should be "MKO's RIGHTS DAY".
No Victor: no Vanquish: no undue advantage taken by anyone.
May 29 should remain Democracy Day.

Clueless Joe!

Renaming UNILAG, a world wide recognized Brand with sophistication to MAULULAG was a political Suicide conceived by the GEJ
and his monstrously corrupt Inner Circle to curry SW support, We all know the result.

Call it whatever you want, PMB has just struck a goldmine with his decision, even the ever rabid FFK is singing his praises.

Meanwhile, why the hate? PMB does anything good, the Wailers ascribe it to 2019 ambition, What is wrong in the President Seeking for likes and Support from his people by doing great things. President commissions a new mega Project in the Southeast, the Wailers say its because of 2019, So what? I think he should do that he can to win every support available

2 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Aroyehunkayode: 11:53am On Jun 07, 2018
Oyindidi:
Stand up and take power from these old men and stop celebrating mediocre
lets start by killing your father to wipe out the old men so we can stop celebrating mediocre

3 Likes

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by orisa37: 12:07pm On Jun 07, 2018
U are a MUMU too!!!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by koboko69: 12:50pm On Jun 07, 2018
TonyeBarcanista:
University of Lagos aka UNILAG has evolved to be a strong brand in Nigeria's education community. Similar way Harvard University, Yale University, Oxford University, Cambridge University etc are brands in their respective countries and globally. Changing the name of such brand is never ideal, and doing that without due consultation with stakeholders (School management, student union, alumni, staffs etc) was a fatal error.

Jonathan got it wrong there...

On June 12 Democracy Day, it has been the aspiration among the Yorubas since return to democracy and Lagos state under Tinubu, Ogun, Oyo, Osun, Ekiti and Ondo States since 1999 have been declaring holidays on June 12 (I don't know if still in practice). I think this declaration meet the aspiration of Yoruba nation unlike the Unilag renaming. Buhari simply cashed on the aspiration!

The truth is that if Buhari had really wanted to honor Abiola he'd have done that prior to May 29 of 2016, 2017 and 2018.

Better late than never!!!...

Thanks!
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by TonyeBarcanista(m): 1:05pm On Jun 07, 2018
koboko69:

Better late than never!!!...

Thanks!
Well, all is fair in love, war and politics.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Geofavor(m): 1:16pm On Jun 07, 2018
They both took a political stunt. Obviously, buhari's move is smarter. GEJ's, on the other hand, was one of his greatest undoing! How will you rename Unilag to Maulag? Very senseless and clueless of him.

Buhari has played his cards right. Perfect timing and bait to win over the gullible yorubas. I hope they'll be wise this time.

1 Like

Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Oyindidi(f): 1:47pm On Jun 07, 2018
Aroyehunkayode:
lets start by killing your father to wipe out the old men so we can stop celebrating mediocre

After my father is your own father. I pray your father to follow my father soon
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by ba7man(m): 1:54pm On Jun 07, 2018
MAULAG.....

See the razz name that unexposed GEJ from the creeks wants to force on the hottest University in Nigeria. undecided
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by adeolakemi: 2:01pm On Jun 07, 2018
DoTheNeedful:

Just by this comment. I can predict where you are from. It only take someone filled with hate to "easily" detect hate. The Yoruba people didn't reject the renaming of Unilag; the management, student and alumni did. Renaming a young university is always easier than naming a first generation university with a history and brand like Unilag. Just imagine Oxford University being renamed. Young as unilag is relative to Oxford, the school with four other first generation Nigerian univerisities are to Nigeria what Oxford and Cambridge are to the UK.

GEJ made the wrong move. He should have done what Buhari did. If he only named June 12 a national holiday, people would still have appreciated it but I think he was scared of the North.

You need to be more liberal in your thinking. You have hate in your blood.
imagine Yoruba sense abi? but if biafrqn that 3 million souls come out to remember their loved one you will support the army to shoot them .the Parliament should annul this domineering act by the Yoruba's
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by boss1310(m): 2:17pm On Jun 07, 2018
all these things are only done to buy votes from those regions
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by Aroyehunkayode: 3:19pm On Jun 07, 2018
Oyindidi:
After my father is your own father. I pray your father to follow my father soon
lol.....my father don die long time,Na your step father go die soon
Re: Goodluck Jonathan's Honour Of Abiola Vs. Buhari's Honour by amarilo: 9:13pm On Jun 07, 2018
Aroyehunkayode:
The guy/lady u quoted did not say you should kill somebody. Why the kill?

(1) (Reply)

Twitter Poll: Which Is More Useless, Buhari Or 5 Naira? / Name One Thing APC Has Changed Since Taking Over From PDP / New Cabinet: Buhari In Dilemma Over Akwa Ibom’s Slot

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.