Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,302 members, 7,822,495 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:52 AM

Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded - Education - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded (76892 Views)

All Hotels In Owerri Fully Booked! FGGC Owerri Old Students Stranded / 14 Kano Medical Students Stranded In India / Nigerian PHD Students Stranded In UK (Photos) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by OrientDailyNews: 10:14am On Jun 07, 2018
By Patrick Egwu, Enugu
Scores of students of the University of Nigeria, Nsukka have been dis­placed and stranded follow­ing a heavy downpour which blew off hostel roofs on cam­pus, Monday.
Orient Daily reports that the rain which was accompa­nied by a strong wind, dam­aged some hostels leaving students stranded.

Some of the hostels affected include Eni Njoku and Okpara hostels which are male and female hostels respectively. Part of the roof covering Eni Njoku hostel was completely blown off causing confusion as students scampered for safety.

“It came as a surprise be­cause we had thought the building was strong. We were even scared when the whole thing was happening thinking the building would collapse,” said Paul Ugwu, a student at the hostel.

At least seven rooms at Okpara hostel were affected by the rain which started at about 11:45pm on Sunday, up­rooting tree branches in the school environment. It was a horrible and pitiable situation that forced students out of their rooms.

The unfortunate incident coincided with the 14 Eni Njoku Memorial lecture or­ganised by the faculty of bio­logical sciences of the Univer­sity. One of the students who pleaded anonymity said they were all asleep when the rain started, destroying their roof and disrupting their sleep.

According to her, they quickly ran through the dark corridor and staircase to the first floor which was beneath theirs and sought refuge in the rooms which were not affected.

“Our room is now messed up and the rain has destroyed our property in­cluding our books, clothes, beds and other items. It was only a few people that sus­tained minor injuries from the disaster,” she said.

In response to the disas­ter, the supervisor in charge of the hostel has assigned the affected students to oth­er rooms where they would squat for the meantime.

“I have been assigned to stay in a room downstairs, I don’t even know if the legal occu­pants will accept me into the room” said one of the affected students.

Workers at the Works De­partment of the institution have started fixing the dam­ages which include remov­ing trees which fell on the road and disrupted vehicular movements.

https://orientdailynews.com.ng/news/rainstorm-blow-unn-hostel-roofs/

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by 1bunne4lif(m): 10:15am On Jun 07, 2018
una take heart. meanwhile, this is my second FTC in one day!!! today is good

3 Likes

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Nobody: 11:47am On Jun 07, 2018
Not again!

2 Likes

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Nwaohafia1: 12:29pm On Jun 07, 2018
Biko, i hope the rain didn't scatter our love triangle in front of Okpara hostel?

Almighty Eni Njkou hostel (Franco) destroyed. I remember shouts of 'Tanker' and 'barking of dogs' whenever a female enters any of the Franco hostel.

Repping Mary Slessor Hall

19 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by maxiuc(m): 12:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
cheesy
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Vicjustice: 12:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
What materials were the skeletal frame of the roof made of, Wood and Nails?
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by kpaofame: 12:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
shocked

Which kind of rainstorm is this..

Foolish rainstorm that cannot locate the houses of embezzlers, and kwarupt politicians to blow away...

Lemme call Iche if e can absolve me to do the repairs jare...Money have to be made

11 Likes

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Celestyn8213: 12:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
Eyaa sorry.
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Tunesplayng: 12:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
OK

The best corpers base you will ever see, hookup , hangout , nysc news & updates , videos , job alert. Corperscafe.com
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by NwaAmaikpe: 12:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
shocked

How will Nnamdi Azikiwe feel seeing this fvckery?

11 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by sirzent(m): 12:30pm On Jun 07, 2018
1bunne4lif:
una take heart
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Nobody: 12:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
lets blame oyedepo grin

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by PremiumBae: 12:31pm On Jun 07, 2018
My Alma mater

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Speakdatruth: 12:33pm On Jun 07, 2018
It's been a strong season
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Nobody: 12:34pm On Jun 07, 2018
Vicjustice:
What materials waswere the skeletal frame of the roof made of, Wood and Nails?
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Nwaohafia1: 12:34pm On Jun 07, 2018
NwaAmaikpe:
shocked

How will Nnamdi Azikiwe feel seeing this fvckery?
His own Zik's flat is in ruins. No one stays there currently

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Karlman: 12:34pm On Jun 07, 2018
Maka Y?
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by dalaman: 12:38pm On Jun 07, 2018
Why are Nigerian universities always looking like dilapidated bakeries?

4 Likes

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by EmmaLege: 12:39pm On Jun 07, 2018
grin
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by dimmikel: 12:40pm On Jun 07, 2018
This must be hurricane dino melaye
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by lost24: 12:41pm On Jun 07, 2018
Hope dey fix it fast ooo because Nigeria can delay thing

Dey make tell u dat dey r waiting 4 federal government to help dem now
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Vicjustice: 12:44pm On Jun 07, 2018
[quote author=Elfmannisback post=68261927][/quote]
Noted and rectified. Thanks
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Mikeross62: 12:47pm On Jun 07, 2018
They should have been pre informed
Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Joephat(m): 12:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
Na only girls hosyel dey get prob all the time bcz of the kind thing wey them dey do there

1 Like

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Paperwhite(m): 12:48pm On Jun 07, 2018
Nwaohafia1:
Biko, i hope the rain didn't scatter our love triangle in front of Okpara hostel?

Almighty Eni Njkou hostel (Franco) destroyed. I remember shouts of 'Tanker' and 'barking of dogs' whenever a female enters any of the Franco hostel.

You really sabi.Perhaps you were one of our visitors back then. grin grin cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by christejames(m): 12:51pm On Jun 07, 2018
Good the works department has risen up to the occasion...
It would be better if our institutions start building structures that can stand the test of time and equally durable, not always cutting corners whenever a project is assigned to them.

UNN should model more new buildings coming up in the institution after The Almighty Abuja Building (faculty of physical science) in its durability. That structure was designed by Zik himself, and it's one of the best in the school.

2 Likes

Re: Rainstorm Blows Off UNN Hostel Roofs, Students Stranded by Nobody: 12:58pm On Jun 07, 2018
Nwaohafia1:

Who ask u grin grin grin

(1) (2) (Reply)

Grades For Sex: Nekede Polytechnic Student Begs Lecturer For Help / Mary Folafoluwa Oginni, Best Student In WAEC Who Left Nigeria Due To ASUU Strike / Naira Marley In University Of Ilorin Exam Question

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 27
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.