Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,554 members, 7,819,988 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:00 AM

PTDF Review Panel Members Resign - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / PTDF Review Panel Members Resign (3206 Views)

Army Announces Panel Members To Investigate Military Conduct During Ekitigate / Lamido, Nyako, Others Boycott PDP Meeting As NWC Members Resign / Leaked Report: Panel Members Threaten Showdown With Ribadu (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Tonyblu(m): 10:23am On Mar 22, 2007
Razorr:

@ seun It is there o, look at it well, haba!

@Seun/Razorr
The source was noted there in hyperlink:
http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article01

Cheers.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by McKren(m): 2:07pm On Mar 22, 2007
dayokanu:

A person indicted is not fit to rule in any capacity for any lenght of time even for a day so[b] McKren[/b] telling us to leave OBJ for 30 days, only God knows how much he would do in 30 corruption filled days. He should resign if he has any honor in him or better still be impeached. So a case of pot calling kettle black.
If the presidency went o court to ask the V.P to be removed with a few months to the end of his dormant tenure and he can't be managed for the remaining time, OBJ too should resign as he is not no longer fit to rule this country even for 1 day longer!!!!!!!!!!!!

I will rather put up with a President who uses Government fund meant for a particular government project to fund anoother government project for a remaining 100day tenure than to enthrone a President who is capable of spending Government money on private bussiness intrest for even 1 week.
Please I beg you to show some respect for the word "RESIGNATION" because all of you Atiku supporters and your principal don't know the meaning of that word. It simply does not exist in your dictionary.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by dayokanu(m): 5:06pm On Mar 22, 2007
AtIKU is corrupt and has no honour in him agreed. but Baba the righteous one, the honourable one who is now indicted; I would have sworn some months ago that he would resign if they dare mention his name, but now we all now know that they are both corrupt.(We can't ascertain the greater thief) for OBJ to be alleged while in power that shows the lenght he has gone in corruption
both should resign or be impeached they are both indicted whether one used his loot to build a mansion or the other used the loot to sponsor 7th term bid or he even used it for a wrong project.
Remember Atiku was accused sometime ago of putting money in Adenuga's bank though Atiku claimed ETB gave him the most interest
Corruption is corruption

He who goes to justice must go with clean hands.

I support impeaching the two of them immediately
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Mariory(m): 5:17pm On Mar 22, 2007
How can both the president and the vice president be impeached 1 month before a presidential election? Come on, Think!
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Bankole01(m): 5:57pm On Mar 22, 2007
Obasanjo apologists will see no wrong in the man nor in the PDP (people destroyer party) The panelists resigned because Obasanjo was still trying manipulate the hearings and result of the AD HOC commitee. The Senate president was starting to pussy-foot of the result of the hearings, knowing the harsh tones and condemnation of the corruption perpetrated by Obasanjo and the secretaries of PTDF. The commitee members refused to be gagged and treathened to resign. Their resignations were not accepted and were allowed to table their findings.
The presindecy however prevailed on the Senate hierchy not allow any debates till after the elections in which OBJ would have finished his evil deeds in manipulating the elections.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Tonyblu(m): 6:21pm On Mar 22, 2007
Bankole01:

Obasanjo apologists will see no wrong in the man nor in the PDP (people destroyer party) The panelists resigned because Obasanjo was still trying manipulate the hearings and result of the AD HOC commitee. The Senate president was starting to pussy-foot of the result of the hearings, knowing the harsh tones and condemnation of the corruption perpetrated by Obasanjo and the secretaries of PTDF. The commitee members refused to be gagged and treathened to resign. Their resignations were not accepted and were allowed to table their findings.
". . . The PRESIDENCY however prevailed on the Senate hierarchy NOT allow any debates till after the elections in which OBJ would have finished his evil deeds in manipulating the elections."

@Bankole
Good thinking and analysis you have there. I totally agree with you.

I'm totally against the Senate for playing cold feet at this crucial point in time.
The Committee Members, thru their attempted resignation showed that CHANGE is indeed coming to PLAY!
OBJ and his cohorts know that his game is UP, so they wanna drag-foot this new development until after RIGGING PDP into d Presidency in April, so as to HELP cover their track; unfortunately, the Senate seems to be playing to the gallery.

Any PDP apologist, member or ex-member MUST NOT get to Aso ROCK!
PDP has to GO! PDP have shown times-without-number that their own CORRUPTION style in on ANOTHER LEVEL, "Mammothic?"!

PDP is Desperate, very very DESPERATE. So desperate that he has to get his boy UMARU into power at ALL COST (do-or-I-die), possibly for more cover-up acts.

With all these FORWARD, BACKWARD Indictment and Counter-Indictments; will any sensible, honourable, respectable person want to cast his VOTE for PDP presidency again?

It is no more Corruption-As-Usual.

We want a Different type of person in there!
CHANGE, indeed, is on the way!
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Afam(m): 6:28pm On Mar 22, 2007
Are we now blaming the same senate that we hailed when they quashed the 3rd term agenda?

So, the senate is really not independent?

Is the senate for the highest paying man, be it OBJ or Atiku?

Or, do we only support the senate when it stands against OBJ and condemn it when it does not stand against OBJ?
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Bankole01(m): 6:50pm On Mar 22, 2007
No Afam this is not a condemnation of the Senate but affirmation of Obasanjo culpability in the PTDF scandal.
It is election time and most Senators would like to return to Abuja therefore some of them a ready to dance to the tune played by the presidency.

I have been an Obasanjo adversarry for a long time (you know this about me) but I can give kudos where one is deserved. The Senate went agaist third term because it was the wish of majority of the citizens and they were afraid of their constituents. Our senators are divided down the middle, some of them will like to see Atiku walk free (I think he belongs in prison) some of them will like to see nothing happen to the man (Obasanjo) who rigged them into office.
It will be a long time before we see a congress in Nigeria, who will represent only the national interest and wish of the electorates.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Mariory(m): 6:54pm On Mar 22, 2007
So when both the president and the vice president are impeached. Who will fill the power vacuum?
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by McKren(m): 8:36pm On Mar 22, 2007
The truth is, it will be so naive to think Nnamani who defied OBJ when he had close to 2years in office will lick his butts 1 month to go. I like it when a man reasons properly regardless of emotions and sentiments, this is about national interest and that is what Nnamani is doing. Impeaching OBJ/Atiku 21 days to election will open an unnecessary chapter in the history of this nation.

However the man Nnamani had stopped OBJ when he killed third term, there is also need to stop Atiku because both Atiku/OBJ should have no place in our political future.
That is what I think this is about.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by 2old4that(m): 10:57am On Mar 23, 2007
I wonder whether the magnitude of money stolen by Obj & Atiku in PTDF is less than that of Alameasige of bayelsa state. Yet both (Obj & Atiku) are still walking free while the other is being continuously detain.   Moving him only in the night from one place to another.   Some couple of days ago, saw him (Alameasieghe) at the passport office at about 11pm in the night when he was taken to process for his passport.

Its not fair!
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Afam(m): 10:59am On Mar 23, 2007
Bankole01:

No Afam this is not a condemnation of the Senate but affirmation of Obasanjo culpability in the PTDF scandal.
It is election time and most Senators would like to return to Abuja therefore some of them a ready to dance to the tune played by the presidency.

Did OBJ divert funds for personal use as Atiku did?

Even if the 2 of them are indicted (even though OBJ has not been charged with any corrupt practice) it still supports the position that Atiku is certainly out of the political future of this country and that is what matters.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Razorr(f): 11:15am On Mar 23, 2007
Afam, Obasanjo is as guilty as sin abeg. He was charged with corruption as well. Go and read yesterday's papers.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Tonyblu(m): 11:26am On Mar 23, 2007
Suddenly, it just occured to me . . .
Maybe the Senators & House of Rep members may not want to deliberate more on this PTDF shakara, should in-case any of them is personally implicated or worse, indicted.
Perhaps, it's not for this administration to further the PTDF issue; that could be why they have all scuttled away until after the crucial election.

Come May 29, when we would have "untainted" (in quotes) Senate & House of Rep members, then maybe, Nigerians will hear the true story.

And your guess is as good as mine, the Immunity Clause and the Interfering Power-of-Incumbency wont shield some "importantly, notorious" kingpins by then.

Na wa oh! Naija is changing for Good oh!
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Mariory(m): 11:29am On Mar 23, 2007
http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20070323248178

The EFCC chairman restated that the PTDF probe was a consequence of a complaint from the United States Congress that one of its members, Mr. William Jefferson, abused his office by transacting private business in Nigeria.

He said, “Their law prevents them from using their office to transact private business.

“In the course of our investigations, we discovered that the President did not authorise anybody to pay PTDF money into Trans International Bank. The vice-president did so to transact business with Jefferson.

“The Federal Bureau of Investigation wrote a letter indicting the vice-president of colluding with Jefferson to set up a business.

“From this, we investigated and found out that the PTDF money had been saved to a personal account at TIB. Part of the money was transferred to the US for a business transaction between the vice-president and Jefferson.

He said part of the money was also converted to naira and given as loan to a company belonging to Fasawe.

Ribadu said, “We saw documented evidence where the vice-president, officials of the bank, Mike Adenuga and the secretary of the PTDF agreed that the money must go to an account in TIB. We did not see any trace of Obasanjo‘s discussion with any bank or officials of banks concerning PTDF matters.

“Several billions of naira were transferred to Jefferson, which have not been recovered. This is our country‘s money but it is a pity that instead of striving to recover the money, we are now politicising the whole issue.”
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Razorr(f): 11:38am On Mar 23, 2007
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Afam(m): 11:42am On Mar 23, 2007
It seems a lot of us want to hear OBJ is guilty at all cost regardless of the facts on ground.

Na hia all us dey dey watch as e go take end.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Razorr(f): 11:46am On Mar 23, 2007
hmmm. . . lipsrsealed
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Mariory(m): 12:44pm On Mar 23, 2007
It appears all it not well either with the current review committee.

http://www.guardiannewsngr.com/news/article01

And contrary to the impression created that the review committee was united in its report and recommendations, a member, Senator Akinlabi Olasunkanmi (Osun West), has said that he believes the President should be commended for the projects he spent PTDF funds for because he did not do it with selfish intentions to make personal gains.

Olasunkanmi, who disagreed with his colleagues on the panel, told The Guardian last night that in executing the Galaxy Backbone project and African Institute of Science and Technology (AIST) for which he was recommended for the Code of Conduct Bureau, the President had the best interest of the country at heart and wanted her in the league of technologically-advanced nations of the world.

But he said that the Vice President could not be said to have taken the actions he took in the approval of PTDF funds without pecuniary and personal interests.

He also explained why he took a dissenting view in the report, insisting that Atiku Abubakar and Otunba Fasawe are business partners.

In dissenting Senator Akin Olasunkanmi gave the following reasons:

* The share holding of NDTV shows that one Adamu Abubakar owns 10 per cent shares in NDTV and coincidentally one of the sons of the Vice President goes by the name Adamu Abubakar.

* The Vice President brought a letter from the Congressman William Jefferson to the Federal Ministry of Communication in respect of NDTV/iGate deal.

* The Vice President gave a loan to Otunba Johnson Fasawe, which he used to pay for the head office of NDTV.

* The PTDF deposits in TIB suggest that the deposits were meant for the purposes of the loan to NDTV.

* Questions put to Otunba Johnson Fasawe when he appeared before the review committee about his banking relationship with TIB were not answered satisfactorily.

On phone yesterday, Olasunkanmi said he did not think the report presented by the review committee was completely fair. His words: "If I say we were completely fair in our report, I will not be right; I don't think we were completely fair. Each of us had our opinion about what happened; I disagreed with the committee and that is why I had dissenting opinion on some issues. The President spent on projects of national importance. On the Galaxy Backbone, there are two of its type in Africa and ours would have been the third. The Ad-hoc Committee thought it was laudable and I believe we should be commending his interest in putting Nigeria in a position to catch up with the rest of the world. Don't forget that we are seven but that is what I think and I made it clear."

Olasunkanmi believes that the speed with which the President responded to the enquiries with a written report and voluminous documents that explained his position on various matters was commendable and should have been applauded.

He adds: "Mr. President said the way he interpreted Section 2(C) of the PTDF Act which talks about endowment in institutions meant he could give either money or buildings in furtherance of the PTDF goals. He did not breach the Act because he gave the money for the Gulf of Guinea Institute (G2i), an integral part of the African Institute of Science and Technology, which is an institute for Petroleum studies."

He noted that the work of the committee involved compromise and "a lot of give and take" to arrive at its conclusions.

He said: "We are one with the fact that the projects embarked upon by Mr. President were commendable ones. The ad-hoc committee says so and we did. He did not dip his hands into the fund to his own interest, but can we say the same about the Vice President?"

On Fasawe, Olasunkanmi said though he was invited to throw light on his dealings with the Vice President, he came simply to talk about the money given to him by President Obasanjo for payment into his MOFAS account.

He also complained, like Senator Titus Olupitan did in the ad-hoc committee, that the Chairman of the Committee, Senator Umaru Tsauri, over-ruled questions that would have unearthed the truth on the controversial MOFAS account.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by McKren(m): 3:53pm On Mar 23, 2007
In the words of Mallam Nuhu Ribadu

"the more you see the less you understand"

Simply dont know why the average Nigerian who is at the recieving end of the cankerworm called corruption prefers to attack EFCC rather than those looting the treasury. Democracy has been re-defined in our Nation, those who say it must not be bussiness as usual are now the dictators why those who want otherwise are democrats.
Their argument is, why wont we loot when you are also looting?? In their bid to achieve this they use the media to blackmail whoever stands in their way.
What a new definition of democracy grin grin grin grin grin
Only God can save us.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by DRANOEL(m): 5:34pm On Mar 23, 2007
let them impeach both obj and atiku
yar adua should not be voted

buhari is my new man now
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by segoye2(m): 12:08pm On Mar 24, 2007
Before you vote for any Maggot, think about this.

Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by 9ja4eva: 2:55am On Mar 25, 2007
They shld resign and Obj is corrupt.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Razorr(f): 9:15am On Mar 26, 2007
All this corruption nonsense would now make more people want to support Buhari.
Sad. . . cry
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Seun(m): 9:21am On Mar 26, 2007
So you think Buhari is not corrupt?
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Razorr(f): 9:41am On Mar 26, 2007
@seun People say Buhari isn't corrupt o. I don't know so I can't say.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Tobiegal(f): 9:45am On Mar 26, 2007
Haba, I think most of dem leaders r corrupt, like i always say, corruption is an official very present along d corridors of power,

Buhari has been kinda quite of late, who knws wot he is cooking up his sleeves! undecided
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Razorr(f): 12:28pm On Mar 26, 2007
Buhari is a saint! All our leaders are saints! Haaaaaaaaaaaaa. . . angry angry tongue
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by 9ja4eva: 3:43am On Mar 27, 2007
Indeed.Buhari gat a good record sha and is nt among d corrupt ones according to his followers.We neva know though
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by Razorr(f): 11:03am On Mar 27, 2007
Buhari might not be corrupt, but I wouldn't vote for him, because I think he might have radical religious tendencies.

I really wish Donald Duke was PDP's candidate. Then, I would have voted. I changed my mind about registering when Donald Duke lost the primaries. Why register when there's no one to vote for.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by 9ja4eva: 7:21pm On Mar 27, 2007
What u mean no one to vote for?What of Pat Utomi?Huh dts another vote wasted.
Re: PTDF Review Panel Members Resign by ezioku(m): 8:30am On Mar 29, 2007
@Austincrow,

Dont worry Baba will not collapse,right now he has not collapsed .He is at peace with corruption since his tenure as Head of State.

That company he incorporated Galaxy backbone Plc should be renamed Corruption Backbone PLC grin

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Can Senators Sing National Anthem / 2,441 Died In Road Accidents In 8 Months -frsc / Lead University: Jonathan Should Talk To The Minister Of Education To Order

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 60
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.