Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,526 members, 7,819,894 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 05:43 AM

Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? - Agriculture (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? (14495 Views)

Tree Seedling For Sell At Affordable Price "Gmelina And Teak" / Buy Your Dwarf Seedling Orange,lemon,mango,cashew, Pawpaw,ogbono,palm,bittercola / Rubber Tree Seedling Available (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by sprints1: 8:10am On Jun 08, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
All the professor and doctors of agriculture in our various institutions should be sacked.
Agriculture isn't about class room and lecturing
It's about science and practicality
The govt should haul their lazy asses of govt wage bill and bring in fresh young men who are ready to go to the farm
all those lecturers that are in their late 70s still using 1980s model to teach students when things are changing everyday...
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by MyChoice1: 8:10am On Jun 08, 2018
Awareness is the problem..Agric entrepreneurs should create awareness through adverts, jingles etc. Where can one get such seedlings and its availability? No sane person will go and buy 7yrs to fruit seedling whereas there is 2yrs to fruit one available, which even have better disease resistance and sweetness! Let there be outlets and ease of accessibility to these seedlings. It's better than planting flowers everywhere in the compound and be buying 2 oranges for #100

4 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by MyChoice1: 8:17am On Jun 08, 2018
NOETHNICITY:
All the professor and doctors of agriculture in our various institutions should be sacked.
Agriculture isn't about class room and lecturing
It's about science and practicality
The govt should haul their lazy asses of govt wage bill and bring in fresh young men who are ready to go to the farm

I don't think they are the lazy ones here, the youths are! Go and checkout Road safety and prisons recruitment... Even Agric graduates full there! They taught you the theory, then you go out there and practice, research and use your youthful imaginations and come up with amazing ideas.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by TEYA: 8:22am On Jun 08, 2018
happybrother:
The trend in progressive agric nations in fruit-tree planting is to plant only grafted seedlings, a practice that started since 1600 years ago. I am deeply worried that most people don't see the need to plant grafted seedlings either out of ignorance p,superstition, or laziness. Could it be lack of resources or unavailability of choiced seedlings?

I have encountered CROP SCIENCE lecturers who know every term about grafting but cant graft nor teach their students the practice of grafting plants. I once looked stupid before some undergrads when I suggested learning grafting for self-employment. Why is our agric practice this backward. What is wrong with "US"?
I am in abuja, I have been looking for such trees; mangoes, pears, Guava, oranges etc, but without success. I communicated with a friend who is a lecturer in an agric department of an A level in my state but I was surprised when he told me they don't do any such thing. Can you please help me out?

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by supereagle(m): 8:22am On Jun 08, 2018
Many of the crop science lecturers can teach you practically how to do it. They don't teach undergraduate students.

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by hailall: 8:23am On Jun 08, 2018
teach us o, my plot of land dey o
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Rebuke: 8:26am On Jun 08, 2018
Pavore9:

2 years? I doubt you will be getting any harvest

Yes, getting to two years now. Talk to me bro, yhu mean itz never going to produce?
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:28am On Jun 08, 2018
MyChoice1:

I don't think they are the lazy ones here, the youths are! Go and checkout Road safety and prisons recruitment... Even Agric graduates full there! They taught you the theory, then you go out there and practice, research and use your youthful imaginations and come up with amazing ideas.
This is the real problem - too many theoretical teachings.

The advanced world nolonger teaches theories
Rather they are focused on teaching the application.
Get it?

Our curriculum is as good as dead

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by oyetpel(m): 8:31am On Jun 08, 2018
I am still confused about grafting.

I have a citrus seedling, where will i get a scion from a desirable citrus plant? It is from an already existing grown citrus plant?

@happybrother

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by NOETHNICITY(m): 8:31am On Jun 08, 2018
sprints1:
all those lecturers that are in their late 70s still using 1980s model to teach students when things are changing everyday...

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by sprints1: 8:34am On Jun 08, 2018
NOETHNICITY:

even their theories is old in this country...imagine an agric engr students that doesn't know how to operate tractor..education in Nigeria is dead...thank God for google and YouTube am learning a lot of things..now that internet is available they don't use it because staffs are lazy to use to projector...I won't mention the school but the man that taught us then was in his late 50s this happened in 2013 he was giving a lecture on meiosis and mitosis if u see the kind 1980s slide this man go bring they use old school projector that u can only remove and replace the slide like in microscope I just shook my head...when there is internet

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Pavore9: 8:37am On Jun 08, 2018
Rebuke:

Yes, getting to two years now. Talk to me bro, yhu mean itz never going to produce?

Though some varieties takes between 18-24 months to get the harvest, I have seen one that took 31months but it was a cold region.

By your timeline and how fresh the plant is, you ought to have seen the fruit .

Can you track where the variety is sourced from?
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by sprints1: 8:40am On Jun 08, 2018
Pavore9:

Though some varieties takes between 18-24 months to get the harvest, I have seen one that took 31months but it was a cold region.

if u use the right plant and the environment is conducive couple with the effect of controlling the temperature and PH level of the soil and fertility it shouldn't take much time...but its just that it is quite expensive
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Jasperro(m): 8:53am On Jun 08, 2018
i need guide in grafting plants
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 8:57am On Jun 08, 2018
oriaburefarms:
Like this one from our nursery
Good !
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:01am On Jun 08, 2018
prestigious12:
This is interesting, drop the links of former discussed topics let me read them up
I am posting with Java phone, till I switch later in the day.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by lastempero: 9:07am On Jun 08, 2018
Here in nigeria we dont know d difference between grafted and d other ones.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Rebuke: 9:07am On Jun 08, 2018
Pavore9:

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:09am On Jun 08, 2018
monalicious:

Does it have any side effects? For example, we know most scientifically-engineered things have a way of causing cancer on d long run. Does this have any chemicals or whatever involved, that can pose a problem in d future for consumers
No chemicals involved. It's not "genetic engineering" rather you * cut a part and make it to another, thereby mgking it to grow out its potentials on the root of another plant. Just cut and join.!

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Rebuke: 9:10am On Jun 08, 2018
Pavore9:

I don't knw where it was sourced from bt the person brought it while returning from Ibadan.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:16am On Jun 08, 2018
MartinCorridon:
Wow....

Thanks OP for reminding me about what I had read in Primary and Secondary schools decades ago.

I have never seen a grafted plant though, but I have eaten "Tangelo" before.

Would Google more on the subject.

Give more examples of plant-combinations that can be grafted if you can...
Take my words, every plant that grow like a tree can be grafted. Note that you can change what type of mango your already-bearing mango tree bears without planting a new tree. We call it canopy rejuvination.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by MartinCorridon: 9:17am On Jun 08, 2018
happybrother:
Take my words, every plant that grow like a tree can be grafted. Note that you can change what type of mango your already-bearing mango tree bears without planting a new tree. We call it canopy rejuvination.

THANKS a great deal for the education. I find this very enlightening.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:19am On Jun 08, 2018
delpee:
@Op

Please where is your nursery located. I'd like to buy some plants.
I am in umuahia Abia state or 08057021372
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:28am On Jun 08, 2018
dayoola123:
We are still trusting God over the agricultural sector of this Country undecided
Is there anything God did for israel,morocco,south africa,usa, and Mexico that he did not do for us? Talk about the land and weather. It is up to us to do the right things. We seem to love things in mediocre form. No courage to declare an area an only-farm area so that we can do mega farming. I tire for our ways of doing things.

2 Likes

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:33am On Jun 08, 2018
whirlwind7:
Pavore9.....the topic on this thread is different from what it said on the front page. The two convey different messages.
On the front page, it was talking about the fruits. What the poster was trying to talk about was the grafting process itself, and why most people haven't gone that route yet, not just the fruits from it.
Thd thread is in order both in content and in heading. Whenever a topic or thread appear, all issues sourrounding it starts to come up.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:38am On Jun 08, 2018
alphaconde:
i no even understand wetin una de talk here
we are talking about how to make a tree bear fruit in 2 years instead of 7 years and the need to plant such

1 Like

Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by hawk05(m): 9:41am On Jun 08, 2018
Anyone want Original Apple nursing (Not Bell Apple) should contact me..... Chat via WhatsApp Alone... Zero eyet zero 9 six sepen nine 0 pipe two 9
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:45am On Jun 08, 2018
TEYA:

I am in abuja, I have been looking for such trees; mangoes, pears, Guava, oranges etc, but without success. I communicated with a friend who is a lecturer in an agric department of an A level in my state but I was surprised when he told me they don't do any such thing. Can you please help me out?
I HAVE THEM HERE IN UMUAHIA, ABIA STATE. Mangoes ,oranges avocado sold out.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:52am On Jun 08, 2018
oyetpel:
I am still confused about grafting.

I have a citrus seedling, where will i get a scion from a desirable citrus plant? It is from an already existing grown citrus plant?

@happybrother
My friend if you have a seedling you wand to graft them go look for any resident with a sweet orange and take bud from it and u will be good to go. Altermatively you can order from nihort or from asia (thailand) or call on 08057021372
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by lorhema(f): 9:53am On Jun 08, 2018
I believe some people don't like the fruit that you get from grafting fruit trees. A friend complained about eating a grapefruit that was sweet. She said it was the result of grafting and was very unlike the natural grapefruit which is a bit sour. She stopped buying grapefruit till recently when she got a link to a family at Ayobo who sell fruits from their ungrafted tree.
Re: Why Do Most People Still Prefer To Buy Ungrafted Fruit- Tree Seedling? by Nobody: 9:55am On Jun 08, 2018
Jasperro:
i need guide in grafting plants
Then go to youtube

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Three Nigerian Banks That Will Give You A Loan Without Collateral / DCP, Dl-methionine, L-Lysine, MCP, Enzymes, 72% Fish Meal and toxin b / Building My Rabbit Cage

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 40
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.