Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,191 members, 7,818,622 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 08:04 PM

Declare Dec. 31st As Democracy Destruction Day - Abaribe - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Declare Dec. 31st As Democracy Destruction Day - Abaribe (458 Views)

Senate Passes Bill Recognising June 12 As Democracy Day / June 12 As Democracy Day Needs To Be Reconsidered, By Bashir Tofa / House Of Reps In Rowdy Session Over Legality Of June 12th As Democracy Day (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Declare Dec. 31st As Democracy Destruction Day - Abaribe by KwoiZabo(m): 8:09am On Jun 08, 2018
EXTRA: PDP senator says Dec 31 should be declared ‘democracy destruction day’ because of Buhari’s coup

Enyinnaya Abaribe, a Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) senator from Abia state, says December 31 should be declared as “democracy destruction day” because that was the day the Muhammadu Buhari military government ousted ex-President Shehu Shagari in a coup.

He said this on Thursday while contributing to a debate on a motion on the post humous award of Grand Commander of the Federal Republic (GCFR) conferred on Moshood Abiola, presumed winner of the 1993 presidential election.

The motion was sponsored by Lanre Tejuosho, senator representing Ogun central, and backed by Biodun Olujimi, senator representing Ekiti south.

Ababribe said for the award to be proper, there was a need for the executive to “quickly” send an amendment to the honours act.

“I support what senator Olujimi and also what the deputy senate president had said, insisting that there may have to be an amendment of the constitution,” he said.

“I also want to add that it would also be necessary for the executive to quickly bring to the national assembly, an amendment to the honours act which states that there cannot be posthumous award. Now that they have jumped the gun to do posthumous award, it would be necessary for us to quickly amend that act.

“Finally, I want to also propose another day since we are now moving in the right direction, saying that democracy is needed, I want to propose that we also designate 31st December as democracy destruction day because that was the day that this same president did a coup.”

At that point, the session became rowdy.

On December 31, 1983, Buhari, then general officer commanding, 3rd armored division, Jos, along some other military officers ousted Shagari.
https://www.thecable.ng/extra-dec-31-declared-democracy-destruction-day-buharis-coup-says-abaribe

Re: Declare Dec. 31st As Democracy Destruction Day - Abaribe by dynicks(m): 8:28am On Jun 08, 2018
shocked
Re: Declare Dec. 31st As Democracy Destruction Day - Abaribe by VotingPolls: 8:43am On Jun 08, 2018
shocked
Re: Declare Dec. 31st As Democracy Destruction Day - Abaribe by IBENUALHASSAN(m): 4:40am On Jun 09, 2018
Sometimes i begin to wonder if some of our senator think with their behind,just look at this one that bailed Nnamdi Kanu.Eventually,if he is summond to produce Nnamdi Kanu,in order to continue with the court case,they will say it is Buhari that is witch hunting him for saying they should declare Dec 31st as democracy destruction day.
Re: Declare Dec. 31st As Democracy Destruction Day - Abaribe by front4line: 6:32am On Jun 09, 2018
This is what you get from all these foolish Igbo senators. Can anyone help me ask what we should call the day this insane Igbo with damage skulls decided to orchestrate the first coup on a duly elected government of Nigeria.

The fools from the yeast side will be excited about what this lunatic Abaribe who stood surety for Kanu Ipob as to say but if you remind them of disaster they have been to democracy they’d rather ignore.

Insane set of humans.
Re: Declare Dec. 31st As Democracy Destruction Day - Abaribe by hardywaltz(m): 6:50am On Jun 09, 2018
Senator Iberibe suffering from Iberiberism

(1) (Reply)

Why No State Outside SW Has Declared June 12 Public Holiday / Why Buhari Won’t Arrest Obasanjo / Why Is Governor Ambode Indifferent To Issues Of Falling Containers In Lagos?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 11
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.