Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,781 members, 7,820,731 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 08:24 PM

Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? (2176 Views)

Beautiful Dark Skinned Women (thread Dedication.) / Are Light Skinned Black Women More Beautiful Than Dark Skinned Black Women? Y? / How Rare Is It To Be A Light Skinned Yoruba Girl? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by AloyEmeka8: 3:06am On Jun 02, 2010
Why do Yorubas from Oyo origin mostly light skinned in comparison to other Yorubas?. I am not talking about bleached ones like Akala but many Yorubas from Oyo state are light skinned yet their sister state Osun has the darkest people in Nigeria as its indigenes. Are they genetically different from the rest of Yoruba race or is it their climate?
Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by 0hsisi: 3:09am On Jun 02, 2010
There is I nothing I won't read on this forum. grin
Why is the buttocks area the darkest part of the body?
Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by ChinenyeN(m): 5:27pm On Jun 02, 2010
Correct my if I'm wrong, but aren't Oyo people 'Yoruba proper'? So, it would make sense if they're also genetically different from other Yoruba.
Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by AloyEmeka5: 3:30pm On Jun 03, 2010
0hsisi:

There is I nothing I won't read on this forum. grin
Why is the buttocks area the darkest part of the body?

Because we forget to rob Tura that side. grin grin grin grin
Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by sherlock229(m): 7:44am On Sep 08, 2021
AloyEmeka8:
Why do Yorubas from Oyo origin mostly light skinned in comparison to other Yorubas?. I am not talking about bleached ones like Akala but many Yorubas from Oyo state are light skinned yet their sister state Osun has the darkest people in Nigeria as its indigenes. Are they genetically different from the rest of Yoruba race or is it their climate?

Hmmm interesting analysis, I'm yoruba and I notice this too, of course it's easy to know when someone has bleached or not, so most natural lightest skinned Yoruba I've seen are usually from Oyo state, my Dad is very light skinned,his mother too is very light skinned, i saw a woman who look fulani in feature and very light skin but has Oyo accent in a bus one day, I'm also light skinned,same as some of my siblings.. then again my mom is also from Oyo but she's dark asf and same with most of her family, my mom family dark ,my dad family light skin lol . But yes northern Yorubas are usually the lightest
Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by IjapaTiroko: 12:26pm On Sep 08, 2021
It has nothing to do with climate, and they aren't different from the rest of we Yòrùbás. It's just a high concentration of people who's skin isn't producing as much melanin as others.

PS: The true colour of one's skin shows on the a$$, vulva, and manhood
Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by niggadee(m): 6:19pm On Sep 08, 2021
AloyEmeka8:
ondo people are most fair skin complexion in yoruba land

1 Like

Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by Abohboy: 8:46pm On Sep 09, 2021
sherlock229:

Hmmm interesting analysis, I'm yoruba and I notice this too, of course it's easy to know when someone has bleached or not, so most natural lightest skinned Yoruba I've seen are usually from Oyo state, my Dad is very light skinned,his mother too is very light skinned, i saw a woman who look fulani in feature and very light skin but has Oyo accent in a bus one day, I'm also light skinned,same as some of my siblings.. then again my mom is also from Oyo but she's dark asf and same with most of her family, my mom family dark ,my dad family light skin lol . But yes northern Yorubas are usually the lightest

I know Ijebus who are also very light skinned so it can't be climate or because of the DNA of Oyo yorubas
Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by RedboneSmith(m): 10:01pm On Sep 09, 2021
It is interesting that a 19th-century explorer (I can't quite remember his name now) also wrote that the Oyo subgroup are lighter-skinned than other Yoruba groups to the south.

Which is odd, because from personal experience, I would have thought groups in present-day Ondo State are generally lighter-skinned than Oyo people.

At the end of the day, all these na anecdotes. No one has any empirical evidence to back up any of these.

3 Likes

Re: Why Are Oyo People Light Skinned Naturally? by Probz(m): 11:20pm On Sep 09, 2021
RedboneSmith:
It is interesting that a 19th-century explorer (I can't quite remember his name now) also wrote that the Oyo subgroup are lighter-skinned than other Yoruba groups to the south.

Which is odd, because from personal experience, I would have thought groups in present-day Ondo State are generally lighter-skinned than Oyo people.

At the end of the day, all these na anecdotes. No one has any empirical evidence to back up any of these.

Not all anecdotes are false. The OP isn’t the only one to observe that Oyo (and, in your case, Ondo) people are lighter-skinned and neither am I. Empirical evidence has never really been used to account for our complex demographical needs so until then anecdotes do have to be listened to.

From my own observations the OP isn’t wrong.

2 Likes

(1) (Reply)

The Hausa And Cults- A Strange Occult / The Meroitic Language Is Deciphered And It Is A Nilo-saharan (black African) One / Sharing An Intestate Property In Yoruba Culture: Idi-igi Or Ori Jori?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 39
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.