Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,427 members, 7,815,964 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 10:20 PM

My Top 5 Igbo Businessmen Of All Time - Business - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / My Top 5 Igbo Businessmen Of All Time (1295 Views)

Dollar Hits All-time Low, Crosses N1,500 At Official Market / Investor & Exporter Window Crashes to All Time Low At N788.42/$1 / Naira Falls To All-time Low Of 527 Naira To A Dollar (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

My Top 5 Igbo Businessmen Of All Time by kingzizzy: 12:25pm On Jun 13, 2018
Igbos are generally regarded as business savvy. However, some Igbos have set the bar high in the business world. Here are my 5 top Igbo businessmen of all time

Sir Louis Philip Odumegwu Ojukwu

A native of Nnewi, he came to Lagos in 1929 aged 20 to work as a clerk. By the time he was 30, he was running a chain of businesses that included Ojukwu transport company, Ojukwu stores and Ojukwu textiles. By the time he died in 1966, he had become one of the richest men in West Africa.

Chief Sunday 'Sunny' Iwedike Odogwu

The Ide of Asaba, Sunny Odogwu is the President of SIO group which is comprised of SIO Industries, SIO properties and African Prudential Insurance. SIO stands for his initials. A reclusive Billionaire, for much of the 70's, 80's and 90's, he was regarded as one of the richest men in Nigeria. He raised eyebrows when he built one of the best Hotels in Nigeria in his home town, Grand Hotel Asaba.

Orji Uzo Kalu

In 1986, a popular magazine of the time called prime people published an article where they named the "richest Igbo,Yoruba, Hausa men aged under 30". They chose the young business wizard called Mike Adenuga to be the richest young Yoruba man under 30. Alhaji Aliko Dangote was chosen as the richest young Hausa man while the then 26 year old Orji Uzo Kalu was chosen as the richest young Igbo man. Today, Orji Uzo Kalu is the multi-billionaire chairman of Slok Group which includes Slok Oil and Slok Air. His business tentacles spread into Banking, Insurance, Oil and farming.

Ifeanyi Patrick Ubah

Ubah means "wealth" in the Igbo language. From humble beginnings, this Nnewi born billionaire rose to become CEO of Capital Oil and Gas, the largest Oil distribution company in Nigeria. At one time, he was thought to own not only the largest Tank Farm in Nigeria, but also controlled as much as 35% of the Oil distribution in Nigeria. He is the owner of Ifeanyi Ubah FC.

Tony Onyemaechi Elumelu

With a personal fortune of over 1 Billion Dollars, Tony Elumelu is one of the most successful Igbo business men out there. The Onicha-Ukwu, Delta state born billionaire and Chairman of Heirs Holdings as well as former MD, United Bank For Africa, UBA.

Re: My Top 5 Igbo Businessmen Of All Time by kayfra: 12:31pm On Jun 13, 2018
Damn. The first three pictures could as well come from the same household. They look alike!

(1) (Reply)

Develop Your Own Platform Like Uber And Taxify In Nigeria / Engagement Is The New Cocaine By Ed Latimore / Money Lending Platforms In Nigeria: Which Should I Partner With?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 13
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.