Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,157 members, 7,811,335 topics. Date: Sunday, 28 April 2024 at 09:35 AM

2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus (12869 Views)

APC Settles For Indirect Primary, Rules Out Consensus / Lagos By-Election: PDP In Dilemma As APC Settles For Tokunbo Abiru, Bank MD / APC Settles For Gbajabiamila As Governors, Senators-Elect Meet Buhari (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Paperwhite(m): 7:02am On Jun 15, 2018
APC Settles For Consensus
•Buhari directs zones to present preferred candidates for endorsement

Romanus Ugwu; Ndubuisi Orji, Abuja

President Muhammadu Buhari has directed the All Progressives Congress (APC) National Convention Planning Committee to raise a consensus list for the June 23 convention to avoid any rancour.

Speaking on the directive by President Buhari on the “Unity list”, the immediate past national secretary of the National Convention Committee, Senator Ben Uwajumogu, told Daily Sun in an exclusive interview that the directive would check the challenges that might affect the exercise.
The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had adopted the same method to elect its national officers at its recent national convention in Abuja.

With the APC maintaining its present zoning, each of the six zones are expected to fill the various position they currently occupy in the National Working Committee (NWC).

Asked the challenges he envisaged ahead of the convention, Uwajumogu said: “The challenges they will face include lots of political interests expectedly associated with elections.

“There is no way you organise such elections without facing difficulties. However, the good thing is that the president has requested that every zone should come up with a unity list.

“I thought the South East was going to face the biggest difficulty in agreeing to such zoning arrangements because of the disagreement with the only governor in the South East, but when we finally came together during a meeting involving all the party leaders from the South East with the exception of Governor (Rochas) Okorocha, we agreed on the unity list from the zone with a vote of confidence on the national leadership.

“I don’t think finance and funding will be a problem because the party is ready. I am aware that the committee’s budget will be met because what we have already from the party should be enough. Again, all of us are ready to make sacrifices,” he said.

On whether he has any regret resigning as the secretary he said: “I don’t really have any regret because I am very proud and appreciative of the fact that I was chosen among the five states of the South East geopolitical zone.

“However, I would have wished that I had continued and finished the convention,” he said.
In a statement issued last month, the convention committee had directed that the current zoning arrangements would be maintained.

Chairman of the Media Sub-committee of the convention and Governor of Oyo State, Senator Abiola Ajimobi had announced during a recent press conference that: “We have opted to maintain the current zoning arrangement. The purpose of zoning is to ensure equitable representation for the entire country. To this effect, we have also introduced measures to ensure adequate representation for special interest groups such as women, youths and people with disabilities.

“In fact, we made history by appointing leaders for people with disabilities both in the national leadership of our great party and at zonal and state levels.”

Meanwhile, former Edo State governor, Prof. Oserihemen Osunbor and one of the chairmanship aspirants, said he was not bothered by the endorsement of Adams Oshiomhole for plum job by some party leaders.

Osunbor, who recently joined the contest said the party leadership has assured that there would be a level playing field for all contestants to the various positions in the forthcoming APC national convention, noting that “it is not over until it is over.”

The other aspirant for the position is former governor Clement Ebri of Cross River State.
APC National Leader, Bola Tinubu and other leaders of the party reportedly endorsed Oshiomhole for the party’s topmost job.

Osunbor, while stating that he is eminently qualified to serve as the next national chairman, promised that if elected as the leader of the ruling party, he will build on the efforts of the founding fathers and reposition the party to continue to impact positively on Nigerians.

Besides, the chairmanship aspirant said he would leverage on his experience and contact as a former governor and two-time senator to foster good working relationship between the executive and legislative arms of government if elected.

“As national chairman of APC, I shall strive to build on the efforts by the founding fathers of the party and reposition it to help focus government’s attention in order to impact on the upliftment of the well-being and security of Nigerians. l am absolutely convinced that l have the competence and ability to provide the needed leadership at this point in time for the following reasons:

“l have the legislative experience as a two-term Senator to establish and engender a cordial relationship between the party and the National Assembly. My former colleagues at the National Assembly and other political associates across the country are invaluable assets.

“As a former governor, I have the executive experience to foster good working relationship between the party and the president at the national level and governors at the state level.
Furthermore, the former governor said he was not against the party leaders opting for consensus candidates in the convention scheduled for next weekend.

http://sunnewsonline.com/apc-settles-for-consensus/
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by OfficialAwol(m): 7:10am On Jun 15, 2018
They've settled for consensus...

If only it were PDP, APC would have irked our ears with how undemocratic it is to have consensus without giving level playing field for all contestants.

Tell me who's better now.

Hypocrites!

40 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Rochas2023: 7:12am On Jun 15, 2018
Any unity list in SE with out Okorochas input is useless,

7 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by valentineuwakwe(m): 7:15am On Jun 15, 2018
consensus list is something of trying to pleases or favour some highly place members over others. . .I thought conventions is to elect party officials and not select them. . .this APC is just so funny. .well, lets wait and see if the convention will not tear the party apart. . .

6 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Pavarottii(m): 7:19am On Jun 15, 2018
Never been democratic... APC

7 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Paperwhite(m): 7:21am On Jun 15, 2018
The APC hypocrites cant help the amount of vested interests within its marriage of strange bedfellows threatening to implode it from within.
Hence it have shamelessly opted for the "consensus" they have staunchly condemned in the time past as undemocratic.

11 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by bla4(m): 7:48am On Jun 15, 2018
Consensus no make sense abeg!

4 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 8:33am On Jun 15, 2018
Same Unity list they condemned?

10 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by 9jaArea: 8:55am On Jun 15, 2018
Back to Back bashing for wailers till 2019. There shall be no peace for wailers till 2023.

in wailers voice Cowhari till 2023.

3 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Blooddiamond: 9:03am On Jun 15, 2018
Idiotic pigs of Buhari n APC,shame on u guys. I thought u were more Democratic like u made us believe. Useless fools n idiots!

13 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by CSTR1003: 9:05am On Jun 15, 2018
They always take example from the PDP, yet their supporters will keep disturbing us about change.

change from what to what?

The APC can't even change how politics is done.

18 Likes 1 Share

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Paperwhite(m): 9:40am On Jun 15, 2018
CSTR1003:
They always take example from the PDP, yet their supporters will keep disturbing us about change.Change from what to what? The APC can't even change how politics is done.
You mind the confused,clueless & incompetent power mongers. angry

10 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by JONNYSPUTE(m): 9:47am On Jun 15, 2018
Hahahahah. APC issa shameless party.
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by 201320142015ob(m): 9:53am On Jun 15, 2018
Now that the Eagles are in Russia, they should use style and locate the house of that MMM guy Mr Mavrodi and ask his family how they want their thunder

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by otokx(m): 9:53am On Jun 15, 2018
PDP consensus

APC consensus

So what is the difference?

1 Like

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by itsobasi: 9:55am On Jun 15, 2018
This move just saved apc from collapsing

3 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Shehunoshewhat: 10:15am On Jun 15, 2018
The only viable option for a successful convention. smiley

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Crocky23: 10:19am On Jun 15, 2018
The opposition Peoples Democratic Party (PDP) had adopted the same method to elect its national officers at its recent national convention in Abuja.
APC always copy PDP, anyway APC is made of of PDP rejects.

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by dadavivo: 10:19am On Jun 15, 2018
Dead party
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by NaijaNaWaa: 10:19am On Jun 15, 2018
Ok
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by darocha1: 10:19am On Jun 15, 2018
As expected

1 Like 1 Share

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by NothingDoMe: 10:20am On Jun 15, 2018
OfficialAwol:

If only it were PDP, APC would have irked our ears with how undemocratic it is to have consensus without giving level playing field for all contestants.

Hypocrites!
I dey tell you.
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by pol23: 10:21am On Jun 15, 2018
I just want this party out of control.
We don't have to wait till hunger kill everyone.
You don't have to wait till you loose your job too.
You don't have to wait till Herdsmen come visit you.
We don't have to wait till the bad things come in us too.
APC..failure.
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by NothingDoMe: 10:22am On Jun 15, 2018
9jaArea:

in wailers voice Cowhari till 2023.
Na you talk am oh grin grin
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Quality20(m): 10:23am On Jun 15, 2018
I think affirmation is much ok
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by ajebuter(f): 10:24am On Jun 15, 2018
OfficialAwol:

Hypocrites!

Shouldn't we even thank God they're settling for consensus knowing the volatile nature of their members?

You want blows,, kicks, slaps and tearing of clothes to start flying on people's fathers, grandfather's and grandmothers abi?

Not to talk about the shooting, stabbing and juju they will freely experiment on each other..

Bros, abeg, made dem do concensus and save lives...

We know even the consensus , na court go scatter am last last...abi no be APC?

2 Likes

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by Nobody: 10:26am On Jun 15, 2018
is like APC always likes to copy what PDP did.
empty brians
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by SamuelAnyawu(m): 10:28am On Jun 15, 2018
Wise Man grin
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by MrImole: 10:28am On Jun 15, 2018
Lol!

These jokers again
Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by ajebuter(f): 10:29am On Jun 15, 2018
201320142015ob:
Now that the Eagles are in Russia, they should use style and locate the house of that MMM guy Mr Mavrodi and ask his family how they want their thunder

This got me LMAO cheesy cheesy cheesy

I swear you no well grin grin

1 Like

Re: 2018 Convention: - APC Settles For Consensus by ddippset(m): 10:47am On Jun 15, 2018
Most of the mumus above are saddened by this story.

The had wanted to see the APC in crises by every means.

PDP don't even realize what lies in wait for them when they conduct their presidential primaries.

It would be crises of unimaginable proportions.

2 Likes

(1) (2) (Reply)

PDP Accuses Buhari, APC Of Renting Crowds At Rally, Blasts Oshiomhole / Tinubu: The Spirit Of June 12 Will Inspire National Greatness / Aregbesola Calls For Ministry Of Northern Affairs.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.