Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,841 members, 7,810,244 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 01:54 AM

When Human Is Made For Law - Culture - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Culture / When Human Is Made For Law (678 Views)

(2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

When Human Is Made For Law by Nehemiah459(m): 10:20am On Jun 16, 2018

As a revolutionist, I still maintain that there are areas of our culture that need to be discarded. Last week, a case was brought to my attention, it was about a woman who the brother-in-laws accused of resuming her business in the market less than 1 year after that the death of her husband. They claimed the woman has disrespected their late brother. I didn't bother calling the woman, I asked them few questions:

- Since the death of your brother, how much do you give to the woman on monthly basis?
- How many children of your late brother have started earning a living that is capable of supporting the family?
- How many children of your late brother do you foot their school fees?

These questions stunned them and came as unexpected. As a known traditionalist, they probably thought I would prevail on some people to stop the woman from entering the market until after one year. Starving because you are mourning a dead man, thus you can’t do your business is an obsolete tradition that no longer fits in today’s world.

I have studied our culture and found our fathers in the days of yore to be always editing our culture, they were always renegotiating our culture to fit into the era they were living in. Unfortunately, today’s Igbo man is stock. Living the life of hypocrisy, when the tradition doesn't favour him, he is a believer of Christian faith, when the tradition is in his favour, he swings to a traditionalist. I still believe firmly that if our fathers of the days of yore were alive today, many aspects of our culture would have been discarded.

https://learnvercity.com/4087/when-human-is-made-for-law/
Re: When Human Is Made For Law by February30(m): 11:21am On Jun 18, 2018
Nehemiah459:

I have studied our culture and found our fathers in the days of yore to be always editing our culture, they were always renegotiating our culture to fit into the era they were living in

https://learnvercity.com/4087/when-human-is-made-for-law/
Re: When Human Is Made For Law by viscerion: 2:00pm On Jun 18, 2018
you have no idea how much I love what you just said, and its only Igbos o, a lot of tribes still carry ancient cultures that are discomforting, no longer make sense and the reason they can give you for doing it is"that is how it has been done" as if it was not humans like us that made the custom to sooth them then

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (Reply)

Nigeria Ranked 5th In The World In Prostitution. / Please I Need Someone To Help Me With Itsekiri Names / Several Pictures Of Masquerades In The South East And There Responsibilities

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 19
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.