Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,418 members, 7,853,825 topics. Date: Saturday, 08 June 2024 at 05:10 AM

Questions That Should Form Basis For 2019 Candidate Polls Support - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Questions That Should Form Basis For 2019 Candidate Polls Support (408 Views)

There's No Legal Or Constitutional Basis For Saraki To Resign - Mike Ozekhome / Donald Duke Declares For 2019 Presidential Election / Ekiti APC Guber Primary: Fayemi Emerges As Governorship Flagbearer (Exit Polls) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Questions That Should Form Basis For 2019 Candidate Polls Support by CodeTemplar: 6:56pm On Jun 16, 2018
As another election year draws near, Nigerians are gradually resuming their old habits of giving blind support to candidates based on financial incentives, religious association and tribal/regional association.
This has led to situations where the elected candidates end up not taking any serious stance publicly on the most pressing issues bothering the nation and I reaction to this trend that shortchanges the poor voters I am putting up my own small list of the things that I think should form the basis of our support to any candidates

I composed this list with things like job creation, conducive business and industrial environment, good roads, health delivery, anti-corruption, education, infrastructures and diversification in mind.

1. The refineries - I think Nigerians deserve to hear specific plan of any candidate for our well known refineries. Oil business is a critical and highly profitable business no single advance nation with oil plays with. This should be made easier by the fact that our refinery struggles are well documented and known publicly.

2. Oil refining to create jobs. No serious nation send her oil and gas resource to other countries to be refined and we all know that at less than 450,000 bpd refining capacity Nigerias refineries employ thousands of people so I expect each candidate to have strong and clear stance on what they intend to do to create jobs through refining of crude locally.

3. Agriculture - This is another well known underutilised sector. Farmers aren't educated and mechanized, fertilizer supply is still shaky, pest control is a thing the farmers appease gods for, value addition to the final produce is lacking, and storage of produce to help buffer against scarcity is pathetic so I expect any serious candidate to have a word about agriculture.

4. National population and database - We still need a better system that helps define and control who is a Nigerian and who isn't. if banks can have centralised it system that can detect multiple account for same customers across geographical locations then we need same for population control and identity. So what will the candidates do regarding these.

5. Education funding - How will candidates handle recurrent issue of education funding. To start with, the value the govt is getting from the populace in return for subsidized education isn't commensurate with the subsidy provided. Now that aside the govt can't sponsor all citizens at once and the very best are no longer getting the admission slots due to corruption so what does the candidate intend to do a out these obvious flaws?

6. Transport system - This is a ever evolving sector and highly debatable one but we still need to hear from them because it is a crucial sector.

7. Fulani herdsmen and open grazing. What does each candidate have in mind for this seemingly traditional problem?

8. Terrorism

9 Religious freedom and expression - what will happen to the minority believers trapped in Sharia or Christian dominated states. They are at the mercy of a state religion most times and hardly get national attention needed. So what's the take of each candidate on this issue.

10. Federal Character Principle - What happens of to the federal character principle that seeks to share positions equally among States but not responsibility?
This has led to states ignoring their God given potential and waiting for allocation. It also affects the federal govt and has killed any little incentive left for excellence as the national economy is reduced to a little more than a sharing system of oil funds. So what are the candidates saying about this cancerous principle?

More to follow . . . for now you can add yours
Re: Questions That Should Form Basis For 2019 Candidate Polls Support by CodeTemplar: 7:41am On Jun 19, 2018
Lalasticlala, someone once defined madness as the act of doing the same thing and expecting a different result. Election year is around again.
Re: Questions That Should Form Basis For 2019 Candidate Polls Support by anibi9674: 8:23am On Jun 19, 2018
ok.
Re: Questions That Should Form Basis For 2019 Candidate Polls Support by CodeTemplar: 8:00am On Jun 24, 2018
anibi9674:
ok.
??

(1) (Reply)

Ekiti Election. / Do You Support FG Plan To Build Ranches For Fulani Herdsmen? / Plateau Killings: Curfew Imposed By Govt Not Working – Women Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 16
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.