Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,148,861 members, 7,802,759 topics. Date: Friday, 19 April 2024 at 08:58 PM

Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? - Programming - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Science/Technology / Programming / Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? (3492 Views)

Is Web Programming Now Shifting Base? / Be Sincere, Is Programming That Lucrative? / Is Programming Meant Only For Computer Science Students? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by Nobody: 10:27pm On Jun 17, 2018
hello nairalanders, why is it now a common stuff for everyone to be involved in d programming world....is. it dat there are thousands of average programmers out there? or we are just having squad of youths trying to get a skill
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by ifex370(m): 10:47pm On Jun 17, 2018
wiconse:
hello nairalanders, why is it now a common stuff for everyone to be involved in d programming world....is. it dat there are thousands of average programmers out there? or we are just having squad of youths trying to get a skill

The problem is that there are not enough programmer's

Imagine what we could create.. If all your cool friends knew how to code in a bad ass way.. We wouldn't have issues creating wonderful softwares cos labour could be easily divided...

I alone have had so many ideas but labour remains an issue and I'm even average

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by Nobody: 10:57pm On Jun 17, 2018
ifex370:

The problem is that there are not enough programmer's

Imagine what we could create.. If all your cool friends knew how to code in a bad ass way.. We wouldn't have issues creating wonderful softwares cos labour could be easily divided...

I alone have had so many ideas but labour remains an issue and I'm even average
so dat means everyone should be average
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by ifex370(m): 11:00pm On Jun 17, 2018
wiconse:

so dat means everyone should be average

Hell no... I'm average and it pains me.. I need to get better... Programming is a skill people should have..
Although not everyone ends up being a programmer

2 Likes

Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by eph12(m): 11:53pm On Jun 17, 2018
wiconse:
Those you think are above average were once below average. They were not born bad ass programmers. Many had to learn on their own.
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by tollyboy5(m): 12:45am On Jun 18, 2018
mostly in Nigeria we are just starting to embrace programming I'm still learning embedded programming application of programming skills to microcontrollers

1 Like

Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by anochuko01(m): 8:52am On Jun 18, 2018
programming LANGUAGE is just like a language. we can choose to know them well or a little.
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by Nobody: 7:27pm On Jun 19, 2018
Your post sounds as if you are pained having more people take up programming. Common, programming is not a secret service for a selected few. Every youth with a laptop who finds interest in programming whether for passion or skill sake should be encouraged. You shouldn't feel threatened.

4 Likes

Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by Nobody: 4:51pm On Jun 23, 2018
denkyw:
Your post sounds as if you are pained having more people take up programming. Common, programming is not a secret service for a selected few. Every youth with a laptop who finds interest in programming whether for passion or skill sake should be encouraged. You shouldn't feel threatened.
its not about me being threatened but about the fact that most programmers are average
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by webapi: 9:07am On Jun 24, 2018
wiconse:

its not about me being threatened but about the fact that most programmers are average

And what do you mean by most programmers are average. Everyone started as a novice including zuck so encourage any average programmer you see to become better and stop feeling threatened

2 Likes

Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by WhiZTiM(m): 2:37pm On Jun 24, 2018
wiconse:

In 20years from now, I suspect elementary programming skills will be required for every white-collar job.

However, the world will not be over saturated with "Software Engineers" by that time.

In the 20th century, there was Oil boom in the whole world, that industry employed millions, and till date. However, are there saturations of discipline experts there in that market today? No.

.... knowing how to use a programming language and libraries or toolkits doesn't make you a Software Engineer as most people think;

Problem solving skills (Data structures and Algorithms), understanding the computer architecture, telling me exactly what's likely happening from your code to the hardware does make you one.

And yeah, don't panic, every 6months, I suspect 50% of those who signed up will give up. Another 6months will see a further 50% of the remaining, and so on.

And it takes time. Building fancy stuff with some toolkits doesn't make a Software Engineer.

The aforementioned skills, time and experience in solving difficult problems do.

3 Likes

Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by Nobody: 2:59pm On Jun 25, 2018
WhiZTiM:

In 20years from now, I suspect elementary programming skills will be required for every white-collar job.

However, the world will not be over saturated with "Software Engineers" by that time.

In the 20th century, the was Oil boom in the whole world, that industry employed millions, and till date. However, are there saturations of discipline experts there in that market today? No.

.... knowing how to use a programming language and libraries or toolkits doesn't make you a Software Engineer as most people think;

Problem solving skills (Data structures and Algorithms), understanding the computer architecture, telling me exactly what's likely happening from your code to the hardware does make you one.

And yeah, don't panic, every 6months, I suspect 50% of those who signed up will give up. Another 6months will see a further 50% of the remaining, and so on.

And it takes time. Building fancy stuff with some toolkits doesn't make a Software Engineer.

The aforementioned skills, time and experience in solving difficult problems do.

DAT means computer science as a course/degree is still needed in our country
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by vankaid: 5:49pm On Jun 25, 2018
wiconse:

So if most programmers are average and you are supposedly not why is that pulling your hair for no reason.
Use your above average skill and take up all their jobs.
Mtseww!!!!

1 Like

Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by WhiZTiM(m): 10:44pm On Jun 25, 2018
wiconse:

DAT means computer science as a course/degree is still needed in our country

It still is, but not to extents of instantly making you are Software Dev; Understand that there are many different people without the necessary background nor drive to push further, Studying Computer science will still be beneficial to such people, no matter how crappy our system is.

So yes, Nigerian education sucks, but it's still a very good course to study;
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by WhiZTiM(m): 10:58pm On Jun 25, 2018
vankaid:

So if most programmers are average and you are supposedly not why is that pulling your hair for no reason.
Use your above average skill and take up all their jobs.
Mtseww!!!!

Umm... Did someone rig your lunch with too much pepper?

I have no idea about what the OP was trying to pass with that post of his;
But in terms of mediocrity, I think that's somewhat true. I suspect, out of every set of relatively good Nigerian programmer you see, only a very small percentage can actually solve unfamiliar problems efficiently;
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by WhiZTiM(m): 11:07pm On Jun 25, 2018
ifex370:

Hell no... I'm average and it pains me.. I need to get better... Programming is a skill people should have..
Although not everyone ends up being a programmer

Keep working hard, You will be at the top percentile in some years from now.

It's hard, that's the truth, everyone that flashes easiness or smartness by telling you how he learned so, so and so, in a very short time (without a prior strong foundation in Maths or some logical stuff) is a bloody lair, we all Google and Stackoverflow alot of things until we become domain experts, where the need for that is next to none. But it takes years.

Don't think of becoming a rockstar programmer in 4years, cause that wouldn't happen.
Target 1year+ to gain necessary skills to be employable, or gain sufficient skills to create cool things;
Target 5-10years of solving difficult problems (also including debuggin/troubleshooting, leading a team, firefighting broken code, scaling) before calling yourself a rockstar;
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by vankaid: 8:45am On Jun 26, 2018
WhiZTiM:

Umm... Did someone rig your lunch with too much pepper?

I have no idea about what the OP was trying to pass with that post of his;
But in terms of mediocrity, I think that's somewhat true. I suspect, out of every set of relatively good Nigerian programmer you see, only a very small percentage can actually solve unfamiliar problems efficiently;

So should we then fry beans or what?

You guys should just go and sit your notice-me ass somewhere else. Funny thing here is that when you look deeper, its actually noobs that come up with this kind of self glorifying threads.
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by ifex370(m): 8:52am On Jun 26, 2018
WhiZTiM:

Keep working hard, You will be at the top percentile in some years from now.

It's hard, that's the truth, everyone that flashes easiness or smartness by telling you how he learned so, so and so, in a very short time (without a prior strong foundation in Maths or some logical stuff) is a bloody lair, we all Google and Stackoverflow alot of things until we become domain experts, where the need for that is next to none. But it takes years.

Don't think of becoming a rockstar programmer in 4years, cause that wouldn't happen.
Target 1year+ to gain necessary skills to be employable, or gain sufficient skills to create cool things;
Target 5-10years of solving difficult problems (also including debuggin/troubleshooting, leading a team, firefighting broken code, scaling) before calling yourself a rockstar;

I'll start this msg for the future... Thanks boss
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by WhiZTiM(m): 11:32pm On Jun 26, 2018
vankaid:

So should we then fry beans or what?

You guys should just go and sit your notice-me ass somewhere else. Funny thing here is that when you look deeper, its actually noobs that come up with this kind of self glorifying threads.

No sir, Fried Potato is often tastier;

I don't see anyone doing "notice-me" here. At least the OP wasn't doing that in my opinion; I have had to ask that question multiple times, that's why I am on the OP's side.

I grew up in the North Eastern part of Nigeria, where I learned most of my programming skills, and we know NE Nigeria is certainly not a region of many "rockstar programmers" ....
Maybe you grew-up elsewhere amongst "rockstars", I don't know... But please, be kind, help us out here, share your thoughts....

Reread the OP's post, and please provide helpful insights. At least from your "wealth of experience" in 'handling' projects of large coys..
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by Sync201(m): 11:42pm On Jun 26, 2018
In the future programming will become mediocre..

The number of people learning to code is rising not falling..Although the world still need programmers
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by dreck6321: 11:11pm On Jun 27, 2018
Comedian Baba De Baba discourages sexual harassment by pastors in a wrong way

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n_hI0u6rXXA
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by ClintonNzedimma(m): 8:40am On Jun 28, 2018
I disagree with the OP, the truth is that there are not enough programmers in the world and big companies need people with skills, Nigeria is far behind bro..... In Silicon Valley, companies are looking for people with adequate skills and there are in short supply.....u think coding is easy?
Let's say you introduce coding to 100 people, all of them are now programmers after a few days of training....i can bet that only 3-5 of those 100 will end up as developers in their career.... just because I know how to code doesn't make me a programmer (developer or engineer).... for example, I can code Java and C++ but you won't see in my CV because I haven't done anything with them, I just have surface knowledge, this is the case in all this code awareness and empowerment programs...i know C++ and Java but I am not readily employable in the mentioned skills ....companies want the statistics, if there is a chance 3-5 developers come out of every 100 trained, it's better than not having any..... everyone should know how to code, but not everyone can be developers
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by CodeTemplar: 10:02pm On Jun 28, 2018
Programming is one of the few practical skills that the average comp science, comp engineering, software engineering and elect-elect grad can relate to and practice with small resource A.K.A. laptop.
Re: Is Programming Now A Mediocre Thing???? by Nobody: 8:34pm On Jun 29, 2018
CodeTemplar:
Programming is one of the few practical skills that the average comp science, comp engineering, software engineering and elect-elect grad can relate to and practice with small resource A.K.A. laptop.
ok so everyone is entitled to learn

(1) (Reply)

Garage48 Winner's Idea - "A call Center Application"? / Naija At 50 App / Jave Script Or PHP

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 46
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.