Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,742 members, 7,824,141 topics. Date: Saturday, 11 May 2024 at 12:17 AM

Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) - Literature (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Entertainment / Literature / Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) (49246 Views)

Wole Soyinka Replies Reno Omokri Over Chinua Achebe Being Better Than Him / Wole Soyinka Shares Throwback Photo Of 1973 Before He Grew White Hair / Wole Soyinka With Founding Members Of Pyrate In 1952 (Throwback Photo) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 7:50pm On Jun 18, 2018
Omooba224:
It shows how tribalistic you are. I have been reading your comments from the first page. You can do better than being tribalistic.

am a detribalized person.
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Mydazz(m): 7:57pm On Jun 18, 2018
Tecno66:
university students in their days dress corporate to class, not like now.
Part of the objectives of PC was to fight against this conventional mode of dressing.

2 Likes

Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Nobody: 8:00pm On Jun 18, 2018
Tecno66:
Very true i still have a lot of my dad's university pics. All looking corporate on fine foreign suits & jackets...

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Omooba224: 8:07pm On Jun 18, 2018
Mayrock:

am a detribalized person.
Ok, I agree
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by walosky(m): 8:08pm On Jun 18, 2018
Guestlander:

At that point in time nobody knew what either of them would become in the society. They were just young people trying to study and enjoy themselves. I'm sure they were much younger than your present age.

Who said Achebe and Soyinka should have followed the same path? Well, in hindsight he made the right choices and got a Nobel for it.

A NOBLE CULTIST shocked
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by tishbite41(m): 8:49pm On Jun 18, 2018
the Nobel laureate cultist!!!

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by samuelchimmy(m): 9:18pm On Jun 18, 2018
If wole Soyinka didn't start cultism as it is now, then why is he not giving his voice, does he like that the Confraternity he co-founded has being turned into a mafia...... These cultism problem supersedes all his intellectual honours..
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Blaqboo: 10:21pm On Jun 18, 2018
Where are the rest now?���
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by bigplayerz(m): 11:58pm On Jun 18, 2018
abeg leave baba Soyinka alone....na that white lady scatter my head...so even nigeria was once good for white kids to school in...hmmm and now its the opposite all we hear is scholarship in foreign universities, One thing is certain we are our own problem. Soyinka must have been a good kid but his standards he set now hunts him and i know somewhere in his mind he regrets ever forming any confraternity that is now an avenue for thugery, and indecent acts in our universities. I Say No to Cultism and Violence #I hail Baba Soyinka#

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Askng(m): 12:28am On Jun 19, 2018
"Kongi"

Wired mortal from the English Art W
Banished from his home, spotted from a distance
Noble amongst scrawling African inscriptions
First veneration of mystical minds
Take a bow, take a bow.

Obliterating deliberate disregard O
From interrupters of our histories,
With trophies, allays a regret and loss
So little for so great a heart,
Take a bow, take a bow.

Liberal lord of limpid looks L
Grand philosophy too many for little minds,
Art of African arts
Impenetrable obscurity to the impatient,
Take a bow, take a bow.

Entangled genus in the darkest harbor, E
Found in a waste howling wilderness,
Left to die in the Gaul like their many kills,
And death too weak, spewed him in his flowers
Take a bow, take a bow. WOLE.

Scrupulous dexterity of the bearded laurel S
Multitudinous nobility and countless soothing saccharine
A restoration of our dignity not celebrated, and un-sung.
Tyrannous candor engulfed intelligential
Take a bow, take a bow.

Obdurate at the palaces of murderers O
Smiling at military cavalcades, the terror of comrades.
Where barrels pacify the wrangling of children men.
A beholding bluff like Ogun’s iron garb
Take a bow, take a bow.

Yea, the snow-like signature in scraggy form Y
Impresses nature’s validity on his authority,
Corroding flesh lacerate aptness from his brow
Gyrating orbits of unmatched intelligence
Take a bow, take a bow.

Invisible man from the kongi kingdom I
Imposing trepidation on pharaohs in the jungle,
Brawny penchant where others retire,
On Lagos streets and London’s courtyard
Take a bow, take a bow.

Nibble in niggle, stripping rogues of honor N
Loathing unsavory milk unlike sycophants
Discarding opulence to mediate for the poor
With no reward or crown in intention
Take a bow, take a bow.

Knack for wars with imperious monsters K
A constant blustery of unrepentant Vagabonds
Dusk till dawn, yearning for Justice.
Crying still, for murdered motherland
Take a bow, take a bow.

And if he dies tomorrow, A
As death to all must come,
His posture, a statue for ever,
On our minds and in those rulers of the jungle.
Take a bow, take a bow. SOYINKA.

Wole Soyinka
Nobel Laurate English Literature 1986
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by GistFullGround: 1:04am On Jun 19, 2018
The father of CULTISM in Nigeria
He copied confraternity from abroad, brought it to Nigeria
Then the different offshoots are what we see now

KILLING, RAPING, ARMED ROBBERY, LECTURERS AWARDING PASS MARKS TO FELLOW CONFRA MEMBERS etc

1 Like

Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by madjune(m): 2:56am On Jun 19, 2018
Back benchers will always astound you in the end.

The race is never to the swift.
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Jaqenhghar: 5:44am On Jun 19, 2018
Guestlander:

What he started was a confraternity not a cult, get yourself educated. Confraternities are common in many universities across the world. If the authorities in Nigeria allow criminals to hijack the idea whose fault is that?

And if criminals operate freely in the churches, the mosque, the police, the army, in government ministries, everywhere, why do you think the universities will be exempted?
By name they are confraternities but their actions are no different from street gangs and common criminals. Same as the armed forces and any other organization in this shithole. We all have ways of bastardizing things here using it to cause nore harm than the good it was intended...Oh and yeah my parents were university students and were witnesses to the mischievious activities of pyrates then. Maybe later they tried to change their image but mo one can deny they pioneered the trash we see i our institutions
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by SojiCash(m): 5:56am On Jun 19, 2018
haywire07:
ogbeni just sharrap.

You probably don't know anything about him nor his books. You don't even know the founders, history,and idea behind the fraternity . All you heard is Wole started Pyrates and that's all what you dwell on
Bobo Nah lady you Dey follow talk oo... You self calm down
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Smasma: 6:55am On Jun 19, 2018
Ziggylady:
Before his Pirates Confraternity set the stage for criminal hooliganisms in our Higher Institution of Learning in this country...through the proliferation and abuse of 'Confraternities'

SB4S... You are not liberated, stop saying what you don't know.
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by samwayne154(m): 9:07am On Jun 19, 2018
Tecno66:
I'm talking about their faces not the dress
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by nick50(m): 9:54am On Jun 19, 2018
most of them have died.. Rip
Re: Wole Soyinka As A Student At University Of Ibadan In 1952 (Throwback Photo) by Tecno66: 4:43pm On Jun 19, 2018
Just making my own observation.
samwayne154:
I'm talking about their faces not the dress

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Love and Diamonds / I Need A Piece Of Drama Or A Playlet That I Can Teach Pry 6 Pupils / Onyeka Nwelue: "A Lady Asked For Sex Before She Could Give Me Loan"

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 23
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.